HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need help refreshing my memory(regarding the short 1994-95 season)

Old
04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Need help refreshing my memory(regarding the short 1994-95 season)

I remember opening night vs. the Sabres when they raised the banner.

I remember the postseason run.

What I don't remember so much is how the season ended(I was young at the time)

Didn't the Rangers at the time needed the last weekend to overtake the Panthers to sneak into the playoffs? Or did the Panthers have a bad collapse?

The only thing I do recall is that it was the 2nd straight year Florida blew it at the end b/c I remember the Fishsticks squeezing in back in 1994.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:06 AM
WheresBarnaby

pretty sure they were near first place, if not in first before postseason.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

yep just checked hockeydb.com had like 104 points

Old
04-08-2010, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
yep just checked hockeydb.com had like 104 points
Considering there were only 48 games, that would be impossible.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

1st place?

The Rangers struggled to make the playoffs that season. 8th seed in the conference. Neil Smith traded the 1995 #1 to Hartford for Pat Verbeek to rescue the season and avoid the embarrassment of missing the playoffs after winning the Cup. The Devils did that the following season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

That was a bad season. They snuck into the playoffs and took down the heavily favored Nordiques in the first round. They then got slaughted by the Flyers in the second round.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Yes they struggled all season, the trade for Verbeek really helped and Panthers were one of the teams they needed to take out and they sneaked in with the 8th spot... I actually think they needed to beat Philly the last weekend of the season to make it also! They were down 0-2 to the 1st seed Nordiques and took them out in impressive fashion, but then the Legion of Doom from the Flyers had their way with us in the second round.

Last edited by GothamRanger: 04-08-2010 at 09:14 AM.
GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I was only 13 at the time, but I seem to remember one of the most ridiculous plays in hockey during that Nordiques series...someone please refresh me memory if you have more information...

But I seem to remember Kovalev getting slashed and laying down on the ice in pain while Quebec went down on a breakaway and scored. After the play was over the ref, Andy Van Hellemond I believe, reversed the goal and wound up calling a penalty on Quebec....just a really bizarre play.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Yes they struggled all season, the trade for Verbeek really helped and Panthers were one of the teams they needed to take out and they sneaked in with the 8th spot... I actually think they needed to beat Philly the last weekend of the season to make it also! They were down 0-2 to the 1st seed Nordiques and took them out in impressive fashion, but then the Legion of Doom from the Flyers had their way with us in the second round.
The Rangers won game 2. They had a streak in the 90's of losing game 1, and then winning game 2. The next year, they were down to the Canadiens 0-2, having lost both games at MSG, and then won four straight to win the series.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
LamoTheKid

Beeker and Larmer were fantastic for us that year. I knew nothing about Verbeek but he quickly became one of my favorites.

Also, that series against Quebec was fantastic, especially when you look at how stacked that team was.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Rangers won game 2. They had a streak in the 90's of losing game 1, and then winning game 2. The next year, they were down to the Canadiens 0-2, having lost both games at MSG, and then won four straight to win the series.
Thats correct. I remember them losing game 5 at Le Colisee, and clinching it at home in game 6.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Beeker and Larmer were fantastic for us that year. I knew nothing about Verbeek but he quickly became one of my favorites.

Also, that series against Quebec was fantastic, especially when you look at how stacked that team was.
Actually, Nedved and Kovalev were excellent in the Quebec series. Nedved centered Matteau and Noonan, Kovalev was next to Sarge. It was the next series where the Flyers physically manhandled the Rangers. And, that's what led to Smith making one of his biggest mistakes as a GM - Zubov/Nedved for Ulf/Luc trade.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Actually, Nedved and Kovalev were excellent in the Quebec series. Nedved centered Matteau and Noonan, Kovalev was next to Sarge. It was the next series where the Flyers physically manhandled the Rangers. And, that's what led to Smith making one of his biggest mistakes as a GM - Zubov/Nedved for Ulf/Luc trade.
uggh horrible trade and then we went and signed bruce driver to replace zubov since "he is a better offensive dman then zubov"

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

I missed Beeker alot after he left.

Any one know why he left when his contract was up, instead of resigning with us?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post

Any one know why he left when his contract was up, instead of resigning with us?
Because we were going to sign Gretzky.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I was only 13 at the time, but I seem to remember one of the most ridiculous plays in hockey during that Nordiques series...someone please refresh me memory if you have more information...

But I seem to remember Kovalev getting slashed and laying down on the ice in pain while Quebec went down on a breakaway and scored. After the play was over the ref, Andy Van Hellemond I believe, reversed the goal and wound up calling a penalty on Quebec....just a really bizarre play.
Simon slashed him big time. He didn't even slash him, he chopped Kovy in a viking-swinging-axe-type manner

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:

His salary doubled from $1.7m/yr to $3.3m a year over three years. Smith couldn't give him that.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
BwayBshirt

Yeah I remember the postseason and bit & pieces of that year well.

I was just trying to, in the spirit of what this weekend potentially holds at stake, recall the situation where everything went down to the wire.

The Rangers finished with 48 points, the Panthers with 47. I was just trying to figure out if Florida lost in its last game to allow the Rangers to sneak in or did the Rangers have to win that last one before they headed off to Quebec.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
17futurecap

I would buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Edge-St...0747873&sr=1-1

It basically covers the cup year and the year after, also some great front office stuff.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I remember the second game, Brashear vs Kocur..Kocur shakin his ass while they were dancing around in a circle waiting for the grabbing

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:

As mentioned above, he was a free agent and went w/ quite a lucrative 3 yr deal from the Stars (3.1 million, 3.2 million, 3.3 million). Neil Smith used that money on Gretzky.

What's funny are the quotes given at the time...

Quote:
"If teams are willing to drastically overpay players, there is a good chance players will move," said Neil Smith, the Rangers' president and general manager.
Quote:
The premier free agent on the market is Wayne Gretzky, who finished last season with St. Louis after being traded by Los Angeles. Asked if he anticipates talking with Gretzky and his agent, Mike Barnett, Smith said: "I'm sure Mike will call or I will call him. I really don't anticipate any intense discussions."
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/04/sp...l?pagewanted=1

Also funny side note, the 1st rounder we traded for Verbeek became Jean-Sebastian Giguere (as well as a 4th rd pick in 96, Glen Featherstone, and Michael Stewart).

Last edited by frozenrubber: 04-08-2010 at 11:18 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:09 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Considering there were only 48 games, that would be impossible.
whoops my bad I read the thread as the 93-94 season. Yeah the sucking began that season with 48G 22W 23L 3T

Old
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

After this incident the reffs hated us. AVH career was done.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
DutchShamrock

Wasn't it Sakic that 'scored'? AVH blew the whistle for the injured player after the shot was released but before it was in the net. I do, however, remember the us being down in the series 0-2 and then going on to win 4 straight... but I could be wrong. I am definitely too lazy to look it up though. I do remember a BS empty net goal in the Philly series. Lindros waterskied on Messier and used the slingshot manuerver to get the puck and score. We were done anyway (i think it was the final game) but to see that guy of all people ice the series was terrible.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote