HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Boivin

Old
04-09-2010, 10:27 PM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Boivin's job is to make money and he is succesful at that. He won't be fired.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
DaHabMan

boivin is a marketing guy...but his policy of hiring someone bilingual every single time is not helping us one bit.......never lets us hire the best candidate possible because the pool of candidates is smaller and most of the best ones speak only one language.....guess which one...anyways he's failed miserably in the hockey department and needs to go no matter how well he is performing marketing wise....

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

One of the reasons Boivin hired Gauthier so quickly in my opinion it's that he had to react quickly to protect his assetts and keep a firm hand on how things would unfold. Because he knew Gauthier would be the sort of guy he would control more easily. If he went and got somebody with a real backbone, Boivin would have less of a say in the hockey operations. I hope the Molsons have the intelligence and savy to realise what Boivin is doing and that to manage the Montreal Canadiens, you need to get the best hockey people on the planet.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
It has probably already been said, but Gainey quit, he wasn't fired.

Boivin has done one thing during his tenure with the Habs, and that is to pretty much give them a license to print money. That's his job, and he's very good at it. He's been the reason why the Habs have been able to consistently spend to as close to the cap as possible without having the owner's head explode; hell they even got to send million dollar players down to the minors for sucking. Laraque is currently being paid big money to sit on his couch and watch the game on TV... Why would anyone want him fired?
Yes, I'm sure the fact Gillett taking over the team and having the idea of spending a massive amount of money in advertising and whatnot to make money out of his investment had nothing to do with it.

No difference between that and the money pinching Molson. ABSOLUTELY none.

You'd think Boivin was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Gauthier was the best available GM. If you disagree, please provide me with your list of better candidates maci4life.
if your selection criteria includes " must speak french" then you got me there.

i was thinking more in terms of best possible choice.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:26 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Yes, I'm sure the fact Gillett taking over the team and having the idea of spending a massive amount of money in advertising and whatnot to make money out of his investment had nothing to do with it.

No difference between that and the money pinching Molson. ABSOLUTELY none.

You'd think Boivin was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Do you think Gillett would have kept spending if he hadn't seen a return on investment? You do realize that president is a business position and not a hockey one right? Who do you think was ultimately responsible for putting Gillett's marketing investment to good use? Simply throwing money at something doesn't guarantee success by any stretch.

I'm not saying that Boivin is the best, but he's running an extremely successful business, so he's done absolutely nothing to get fired.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Do you think Gillett would have kept spending if he hadn't seen a return on investment? You do realize that president is a business position and not a hockey one right? Who do you think was ultimately responsible for putting Gillett's marketing investment to good use? Simply throwing money at something doesn't guarantee success by any stretch.

I'm not saying that Boivin is the best, but he's running an extremely successful business, so he's done absolutely nothing to get fired.
And indeed he's great for selling the product.

Now, if he could never get any more say in who runs the hockey department, I'd be fine with that.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
And indeed he's great for selling the product.

Now, if he could never get any more say in who runs the hockey department, I'd be fine with that.
Who would then ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Who would then ?
Somebody who doesn't have any track record here (like Boivin has), and who hopefully has a good track record somewhere in the league as director of hockey operations or such.

I.e. someone who has hockey knowledge and has worked in hockey front offices, but isn't looking for a GM job.