HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough is enough

Old
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What if we're winning?
Then good ****ing job Burke.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Tonka
9.5%?

Who exactly does Wilson have...Kessel, Bozak, Kulemin...those are our only offensive threats.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Barry Trotz has made the playoffs every year or close to every year with a very bad team.

Wilson is a clown. Keep him on as a faceoff coach. He's done an excellent job in that department.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM
MrLegend28*

I love seeing these threads. You nobodies in the world of hockey seem to have all the right answers while the GM's who win cups don't. Give me a break folks, everyone is a fantasy GM these days.

MrLegend28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
No one picked Team USA to do anything at the Olympics. Russia, Sweden and Finland were all considered to be better teams and yet the USA made it all the way to the end.
Team usa overall was pretty lousy. They were riding a hot goaltender (possibly the hottest goaltending I've ever seen).

"Miller, you're in net again tonight" is the extent of Wilson making a difference. A monkey could have coached that team to the gold medal game.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
I have mentioned the prospect of firing Wilson however to be fair, what does the man have to work with? If this was San Jose, Pittsburgh even Ottawa or Calgary, then yes blame Wilson for a lackluster season. Flame fans most definitely want Sutter blood after their abomination of a season down turn considering their roster however Wilson has an offense made up almost entirely of youth or roleplayers. The majority of the team at present would be hard pressed to be second liners on many other teams, let alone first. I say give him another year and everyone another year of development.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

yeah, one more year. if we get some better forwards and our team is still complete ****, then think about firing him.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Team usa overall was pretty lousy. They were riding a hot goaltender (possibly the hottest goaltending I've ever seen).

"Miller, you're in net again tonight" is the extent of Wilson making a difference. A monkey could have coached that team to the gold medal game.
Wilson played the right guys at the right time. He put out offensive players when they needed a goal, and the defensive players when they had the lead. He matched lines well, and used the right faceoff guys. He coached, and his team won a silver medal, losing the Gold in Overtime.

And just as much as he rode a hot goalie, he was forced to ride a rookie goalie and a piece of crap goalie in Toronto. It didn't matter what he did, he had bad goaltending, which put the team in a horrible position to try to compete for a playoff position. He made mistakes with time outs, and he rode guys at the wrong time this year, but to say he didn't have any effect at the Olympics is crap.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
I have mentioned the prospect of firing Wilson however to be fair, what does the man have to work with? If this was San Jose, Pittsburgh even Ottawa or Calgary, then yes blame Wilson for a lackluster season. Flame fans most definitely want Sutter blood after their abomination of a season down turn considering their roster however Wilson has an offense made up almost entirely of youth or roleplayers. The majority of the team at present would be hard pressed to be second liners on many other teams, let alone first. I say give him another year and everyone another year of development.
LA, Phoenix and Colorado all finished behind Toronto last season. The biggest change in AZ and Colorado was their coach. Weak performance in OT and on specialty teams killed them and that comes back to the coach.
But I agree it makes no sense to move him now. The team is much better now then at the beginning of the year. If he can't manage a strong first half next year maybe, but if they are going to do more personel changes this summer, the loss of continuity caused by a coaching change could screw them up big time. Schenn, Gustavsson, Gunnarsson, Bozak and Kessel are all playing pretty well. I wouldn't want to do anything to mess with that.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What if we're winning?
Winning or losing there are better options available to coach a young team.

Besides that Wilson makes this team less than the sum of it's parts no matter how many roster changes Burke effects.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Winning or losing there are better options available to coach a young team.

Besides that Wilson makes this team less than the sum of it's parts no matter how many roster changes Burke effects.
This shows how RW is in a no win situation for you, because there is always someone better. "Win or lose, there is someone better"? So we better get rid of him. Do you honestly believe if this team was in the playoffs he should be fired because there is someone better out there? Really?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote