HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
binaryfinary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
ok, just for the sake of academic discussion, which is appreciated,

a team winning by two goals is synonymous with winning in regulation and so on, in that way of calculating those 4 possibilities which are the only scenarios that matter (i.e. have a seperate meaning). FTM Philly winning includes in OT, so 25+25 = 50% chance of winning. A team winning by two goals has it's own probability. Far more complex one, sort of what I had referred to.
The problem is by this method you can keep breaking it down through interpretation. Originally there are only two possibilities: philly winning and rangers winning, 50% each. This I agree with. But when you ask for the probability of rangers winning in OT it gets broken down into more possibilities. You said you saw it as 25% that rangers win in OT so you see it as four possibilities at this point: philly winning in OT, philly winning in reg, rangers winning in OT, rangers winning in reg. But when you actually look at the conditions of those possibilities you see this is not the case. The condition of winning in OT is to have equal goals after regulation. In this way by saying a team winning by two goals is synonymous with winning in regulation, you are saying its synonymous with winning in OT. So there are only two possibilities.

In the end the result is they have a 50% chance of winning which you said, but the percentages can't be split 25-25 for it being in OT or Regulation.

Old
04-10-2010, 04:05 PM
BelHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
BTW, I notice your location is Ontario. If the 100% suddenly becomes 0%...do you know of a good place to hide for....a year?
LOL. Even worse for me, is that one of my buds is coming over to watch, and he's a diehard Leafs fan. He's already asked me if a suicide watch is in order. Smartass!!! LOL

Old
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

As long as this game doesn't go in overtime, we're in.

Old
04-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
As long as this game doesn't go in overtime, we're in.
At the beginning of the week, 6-7 games must ended in a specific way in order for the Habs to miss the playoffs. Now only 2 games left. If Habs lose today, nothing would be impossible. However, I'm expecting the same type of game as 3 seasons ago vs the Laffs in the final regular season game, but with the Habs winning this time.

Old
04-11-2010, 04:12 AM
CBCnutcase

All is well now that the Habs are in the playoffs.

The second game between these teams decides whether Montreal is 7th or 8th.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
ILuvLucic*

Go Rangers! I want to finish 7th!

Closed Thread