HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Improve Your Slapshot

Old
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Improve Your Slapshot

What you need: A hockey stick and puck
Recommended
Radar Gun - Speed trac
or the Shot Demon Puck - Shot Demon
Shooting Pad - Shooting Pads
Enter this code to get $10 off HOWHCKY001

Update - April 19th comment #29
We are in week two of the slapshot challenge, now is the time to challenge a friend and also go out and take a video of your slapshot. Sit tight and in a few days you can post it as a video response to our slapshot video (keeps everything organized)

Also head to comment #29 for a video of me challenging Ken. We will post our slapshot videos in a few days and you guys can do the same. I will start a new thread for slapshot videos.

Alrite so I might as well kick off the slapshot challenge that I have been talking about!

This is the first video (yes it is in the fuselage!) with a bit of info, more to come. I will keep this thread updated and you guys can all join in if you would like.

So we are doing a lot of research into how to improve the slapshot, power and accuracy. We start at the basics, then move up and get more advanced, then into workouts to target the muscles.

Last edited by HowToHockey: 04-25-2010 at 12:33 AM.
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Hrad

Aww I thought there was some sort of prize to be won...

Also, you can use a "Demon Hot Shot Puck" or whatever that was called to see how fast you're shooting.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post

Also, you can use a "Demon Hot Shot Puck" or whatever that was called to see how fast you're shooting.
Yeah I am considering prizes. If I have enough people participate then I will dish out some sweet hockey swag. I have been talking to the guy who owns the hockey shot website (that's how I got the coupon!)

So if a lot of people sign up, I am sure I could get a few prizes from sponsors and stuffb

Old
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Yeah I am considering prizes. If I have enough people participate then I will dish out some sweet hockey swag. I have been talking to the guy who owns the hockey shot website (that's how I got the coupon!)

So if a lot of people sign up, I am sure I could get a few prizes from sponsors and stuffb
Pouring rain today but when the ground dries out I'm in. I have a digital camera that shoots avi video in 1 minute segments I think depnding on the quality.

I'll edit segments together if I have to with windows movie maker and post something.

I have no way to measure the mph so it will be a guess by people seeing it here, fair enough? Not accurate by any means but I am going to get a view from behind level with my waist hopefully with the camera on a chair or something. I used to shoot harder when I was young, at least it feels that way. I still shoot hard but it does not feel as sweet as they did 10 years ago to me anyway. My brothers say they don't notice anything different but I do.

Sounds like a fun thread anyway!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Semper Sens

I'm in, but can I submit a video around April 26th? I have exams until then. Also, what should we shoot on? I have a piece of HDPE but I would think a slapper would kill it.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

when i watch shooting videos alot of them are not actually game situation tips

what i mean by that is that when people make these videos they arent moving and they have time to set up, i like videos that show how to shoot in stride because thast when most shots are taken

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:57 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
Invest in a cheap lav mic so your voice quality isn't so crappy.

And interesting concept but the best place to learn proper technique is at the rink.

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:46 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
when i watch shooting videos alot of them are not actually game situation tips

what i mean by that is that when people make these videos they arent moving and they have time to set up, i like videos that show how to shoot in stride because thast when most shots are taken
Done!

I put it on the list of videos to shoot

Old
04-10-2010, 05:49 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorobo View Post
Invest in a cheap lav mic so your voice quality isn't so crappy.

And interesting concept but the best place to learn proper technique is at the rink.
If I never practiced my shot in my barn I don't think I would even know how to shoot. Yeah the best place to learn is at the rink, but I only know of one arena near me, the ice is only in during the winter and it costs $100 an hour to rent.

Learn at home, fine tune at the rink

Old
04-10-2010, 06:25 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
When should the video's be posted? Because I don't own a radar gun yet and it might take a while before I get one. But I think I can get in 3 weeks.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:55 AM
HowToHockey

There is no rush, we are going to do this through out the spring / summer so that you have a long time to practice and improve.

I will keep everyone updated through this forum and on my blog (you can sign up there to get updates right when I post them)

At the moment all you have to do is sign up then we'll go from there. If you can get a radar gun that would be great, I will let you know about when and where to post videos in the near future.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
If I never practiced my shot in my barn I don't think I would even know how to shoot. Yeah the best place to learn is at the rink, but I only know of one arena near me, the ice is only in during the winter and it costs $100 an hour to rent.

Learn at home, fine tune at the rink
I learned in the backyard shooting off a formica topped kitchen table, legs removed of course. Spray some furniture polish or even better counter top polish sold at cabinet maker shops. where you shoot from and it adds slick to the table top and the most important thing .... use those non-marking pucks as they glide much better than the standard vulcanized rubber pucks. You know the ones with the high pitch when you hit the post when using the rink pucks since they do not want their boards and ads all marked up with black marks.

The standard pucks grip too much and take some off your shots and sometimes cause flutter because the edges of the puck are trying to grab the table top right in front of the puck as soon as shot.

Just a tip here from someone who has done this a lot.

To touch on shooting in stride, you get more oomph shooting in stride so a few mph less shooting from a standstill is expected for everyone here. it isn't easy to run into a slapshot when you are using a flat platform outdoors. I'll do a couple and see what happens. Second nature on ice and not even thought about for sure but it is an important aspect to shooting for power.

Sorry about the radar gun thing, I do not plan on getting one anytime soon. Money has been tight with work drying up here, being self employed is good when things are good but when they are not things get screwy quickly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post

Does that work well? I've seen them online, but wasn't sure how it'd work.

http://www.hockeyshot.com/Demon_Hot_...p/puck-002.htm

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Does that work well? I've seen them online, but wasn't sure how it'd work.

http://www.hockeyshot.com/Demon_Hot_...p/puck-002.htm
For it to work properly you have to set your distance, and hit it against a hard surface, from the set distance. The one downfall would be shooting it, going to get it, shooting it, going to get it etc. With the gun I line up 50 pucks and it's hammer time!

Old
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

True, but the puck is $100 cheaper . Plus, you only need to shoot the thing a few times to measure your speed, otherwise you just use regular pucks most of the time.

Old
04-11-2010, 04:23 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
I think I'll have to use a Demon Hot Shot Puck too, because I just got myself a ticket for speeding.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
True, but the puck is $100 cheaper . Plus, you only need to shoot the thing a few times to measure your speed, otherwise you just use regular pucks most of the time.
Good point

Old
04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

btw, for those who decide to get a demon puck and try it at a rink,

2 - Select a shooting distance 16, 24, 36 or 48 feet.

24 ft should be aligned with the the end (the part pointing toward center ice) of attacker's set of the faceoff Ts (or whatever they're called). I think.

BTW, does anyone know of an American site that sells that thing? I don't feel like paying $11 to have it shipped from Canada.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:46 PM
jsykes

Here's a link. http://demonhotshot.com/demon/node/32

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
That's the site, you can only buy from a retailer You can buy here - Demon Shot

I will post links in the OP and also have the schedule coming

Old
04-11-2010, 02:37 PM
HowToHockey

Slapshot Challenge

HTH slapshot Schedule
So this is what we are thinking as a general guideline. Currently in week 1, trying to spread the word of the slapshot challenge. Any help is appreciated

Week 1
- Launch / promotion
Week 2/3 - Challenge a friend
Week 2/3 - Show us what you got (posting videos, mention where you need help, what you think you could improve on)
Week 4 - We post How to take a slapshot
Week 4 - We post How to improve slapshot power
Week 4/5 - Take 5000 shots focusing on technique and power
Week 6 - Share what you learned / what worked for you - we have technique down, now accuracy
Week 7 - How to Improve slapshot accuracy
Week 8 - Take 5000 shots focusing on accuracy
Week 9 - Share what you learned
Week 10 - We post workouts to improve slapshot power
Week 11 - Workout shoot, workout, shoot
Share results and tips
Post before and after and how much you improved

Any thoughts / recommendations?

Old
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
rinkrat22

We use for dryland shooting, a couple of different things. the blue pucks work great off the blacktop(especially once the get some driveway sealer on them). Also if you take a regular puck and put 5 thumb tacks per side spaced out (the old style metal ones) it works pretty good for shooting and stick handeling also. then we also have a 4x8 foot sheet of plastic that we shoot off of. it was like 30 dollars online.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Hrad

Quote:
HTH slapshot Schedule
So this is what we are thinking as a general guideline. Currently in week 1, trying to spread the word of the slapshot challenge. Any help is appreciated

Week 1
- Launch / promotion
Week 2/3 - Challenge a friend
Week 2/3 - Show us what you got (posting videos, mention where you need help, what you think you could improve on)
Week 4/5 - Take 5000 shots focusing on technique and power
Week 6 - Share what you learned / what worked for you - we have technique down, now accuracy
Week 8 - Take 5000 shots focusing on accuracy
Week 11 - Workout shoot, workout, shoot
Share results and tips
Post before and after and how much you improved

Any thoughts / recommendations?
Sounds good to me, I take around 100 slapshots a day anyways so it'll be interesting to just...increase that number by 350% a day and see what happens

By the way are we supposed to post our "beginning" videos in this thread or somewhere else? I'll probably have mine some time this week...without a radar though.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Week 1 - Launch / promotion
Week 2-11 - Challenge a friend
Week 4/5/6 - Take 5000 shots focusing on technique and power
Week 7/8/9 - Take 5000 shots focusing on accuracy
Week 10/11 - Workout shoot, workout, shoot

I think that'd work better. No reason for people to stop shooting for a week just so they can post videos .

I'm not sure if you're looking at 5000 shots per week or for the two weeks, but either way the number should be divisible by either 5 or 7 and within reason. So something like 500 shots a day for 5 days a week would be 2500 shots times two weeks = 5000 shots. 400 shots a day for 7 days a week would be 2800 shots per week times two weeks = 5600. Obviously three weeks would equal 7500 and 8400. Personally, IDK if doing 400 to 500 shots a day is something a lot of people will be willing to do. It'd probably be a couple of hours of straight up shooting.

Also, since you're saying over the course of the summer the idea is to do this, then there's no reason why you can't start on something like May 2nd and finish August 28th or something. That'd give you 16 or 17 weeks to work with, just a suggestion. To which you can do this:

April 11 - May 1
Launch / promotion
Challenge a friend
Show us what you got (posting videos, mention where you need help, what you think you could improve on)

May 2
We post How to take a slapshot
We post How to improve slapshot power

May 2 - June 5
Take X shots per week focusing on technique and power

May 23
Share what you learned / what worked for you

June 6
How to Improve slapshot accuracy
How to improve common mistakes/issues that people are having

June 6 - July 10
Take x shots per week focusing on accuracy

July 4

July 11
Post workouts to improve slapshot power

July 11 - August 7
Incorporate workouts
Shoot x shots per week

August 1

August 8

August 8 - August 21
Continue to shoot and workout

August 22 - August 28
Share your final results

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-12-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old
04-16-2010, 01:14 AM
HowToHockey

Good points as far as the schedule goes. I put it out as a general schedule to follow and it can change as needed. This is the first one, so I expect this to be a learning experience

I like the shedule posted by DubiSnacks17 so we will play off of that.

I was also thinking power and accuracy are great, but it might also be a good idea to touch on one-timers and game situation shots (you don't always have all the time in the world to get a shot off)

We might sprinkle in an article or two about those topics as well.

Quote:
By the way are we supposed to post our "beginning" videos in this thread or somewhere else? I'll probably have mine some time this week...without a radar though.
I will put a video up on youtube and post here. Then I will let everyone know if you are signed up through our site. "beginner" videos can be posted as a video response to our original, and also embed in here if you would like.

I will put the video up next week sometime, along with a video of me challenging a friend (doing a bit of a fun video series of our competition)