Nick Schultz appreciation thread

Old
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

vCash: 500
Nick Schultz appreciation thread

Great guy and dedicated Wild teammate.

Maybe not the flashiest player to ever play the game, but a solid and unselfish player who is loyal to his team. I know he plays hurt a lot, and he never complains. In junior, he was an offensive player, but has accepted his role as a stay-at-home defenseman for many years now, and does it with a lot of class.

So here's to #55!

Thoughts?

fly4apuckguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
saywut

Overpaid mediocre defensive d-man. Part of the cap problem.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Disagree. I find him to be a solid d-man. Is he overpaid? Yeah, probably, but he isn't the biggest problem cap-wise for this team

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I just took a quick glance at some other defensmen in the NHL with similar point totals and +/-, and Nick is about in the middle, and more often paid less than guys in his range. Not to mention he is an assistant captain and took less than he could have been paid on his last contract by signing before he became a UFA.

Show some loyalty. We all want players to do it, but as fans, take the guy with the most games played as a Wild player and throw him out, huh?

What a superfan you are.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:23 PM
mnwildgophers

He is overpaid, but he is still a decent defensive d-man. I wouldn't mind seeing him traded since we have such a stock of defensive prospects, but he is a nice guy. We tend to pick out the bad things that he does, but he does do quite a few things that are good. I don't really like him though.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:26 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Disagree. I find him to be a solid d-man. Is he overpaid? Yeah, probably, but he isn't the biggest problem cap-wise for this team
He makes 3.4 million.

This is 1.1 million less than Scott Hannan, who scored 16 points this year.
It is 1.6 million less than Kim Johnsson, who has 2 fewer points and is not as good defensively. Other players that are paid more and score less - Robin Regehr, Brad Stuart, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer...I could go on.

You guys need to do some research as to what players are worth nowadays.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:32 PM
mnwildgophers

I think most of us watch him every game and see the mistakes he makes and it's easier to point out than all of the other stuff we see him do that he does good.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I've always considered him to be a solid 2nd pairing, defensive d-man. In my opinion, those guys should be paid around ~$2.5 million.

Personally, I like him here. Most of the time that he gets in trouble is when he attempts to do things that are outside the realm of his abilities

Old
04-10-2010, 10:41 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I've always considered him to be a solid 2nd pairing, defensive d-man. In my opinion, those guys should be paid around ~$2.5 million.

Personally, I like him here. Most of the time that he gets in trouble is when he attempts to do things that are outside the realm of his abilities
We attempted to play him at a PP point at the beginning of the year, but I'd rather he just sticks to his strengths which is being a defensive D-man.

Old
04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

A) All defensemen screw up.

B) Nick screws up a lot less than about 95% of defensemen in the league.

C) Generally, people posting about how often he messes up need to focus on other teams' d-men more often to see the guy is about as solid as they come.

Old
04-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
A) All defensemen screw up.

B) Nick screws up a lot less than about 95% of defensemen in the league.

C) Generally, people posting about how often he messes up need to focus on other teams' d-men more often to see the guy is about as solid as they come.
Part C)

That was very true until this year. This year he was very inconsistent and went away from what made him a very solid defenseman....great positioning and having his stick in the right lane at all times.

Jbcraig1883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Part C)

That was very true until this year. This year he was very inconsistent and went away from what made him a very solid defenseman....great positioning and having his stick in the right lane at all times.
Fair enough, but he also scored 20 points, a career high. I believe he was asked to change his game a bit to become more offensive, and therefore play a riskier game.

He was also hurt throughout the year, which is not normally a good excuse (all guys play injured to some degree)...but the concussion he suffered last season is still affecting him.

Old
04-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Burns had a concussion last year, Schultz played 79 games

Looking back it his previous seasons, his durability probably his greatest attribute. Very reliable.

His points increase is good to see, we just don't want it to come at the expense of his defensive play (we have Zidlicky, Burns and now Barker to fulfill our offensive d-man roles)

Old
04-11-2010, 03:05 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I just took a quick glance at some other defensmen in the NHL with similar point totals and +/-, and Nick is about in the middle, and more often paid less than guys in his range. Not to mention he is an assistant captain and took less than he could have been paid on his last contract by signing before he became a UFA.

Show some loyalty. We all want players to do it, but as fans, take the guy with the most games played as a Wild player and throw him out, huh?

What a superfan you are.
In fairness, this is a lot nicer than the other "appreciation" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
He is overpaid, but he is still a decent defensive d-man. I wouldn't mind seeing him traded since we have such a stock of defensive prospects, but he is a nice guy. We tend to pick out the bad things that he does, but he does do quite a few things that are good. I don't really like him though.
He's not really overpaid (in terms of when the deal was made); the problem is the length. No one likes to see a second-pairing guy with a six-year deal that takes out a few years of free agency.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
saywut

Quote:
What a superfan you are.
So you just love every player on your favorite team? Why isn't it a cup contender then?

Quote:
He makes 3.4 million.

This is 1.1 million less than Scott Hannan, who scored 16 points this year.
It is 1.6 million less than Kim Johnsson, who has 2 fewer points and is not as good defensively. Other players that are paid more and score less - Robin Regehr, Brad Stuart, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer...I could go on.

You guys need to do some research as to what players are worth nowadays.
Johnsson is far better defensively and offensively, you did not watch the Wild over the years if you think otherwise. The guys you listed aren't the best comparisons either, as those are slow players who have been worse in the new NHL. Nick Schultz is our softest d-man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
He's not really overpaid (in terms of when the deal was made); the problem is the length. No one likes to see a second-pairing guy with a six-year deal that takes out a few years of free agency.
Well DR seemed to like giving long-term deals to the wrong guys(See Pierre-Marc Bouchard).

I won't disagree that Nick Schultz is a complimentary top-4 defensive d-man, but Greg Zanon was much better for us, and look at the contract he got as a UFA -> 3 years at under 2M per. And it isn't like Zanon got better overnight. We're paying Zidlicky 4M(not a top-pairing d-man), Schultz 3.5M(complimentary top-4), Burns 3.55M(not a top-pairing d-man), and Barker slightly over 3M(not a proven top-4 guy). 14M for 4 d-man and we don't have anyone overly impressive. One of them is a bottom-pairing guy on this team as well as Zanon is our best 5-on-5 d-man. Nick Schultz was that guy this year, a #5 3.5M d-man.

Old
04-11-2010, 12:57 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Decent 6th dman, but on most teams he wouldn't see the light of day.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Well DR seemed to like giving long-term deals to the wrong guys(See Pierre-Marc Bouchard).

I won't disagree that Nick Schultz is a complimentary top-4 defensive d-man, but Greg Zanon was much better for us, and look at the contract he got as a UFA -> 3 years at under 2M per. And it isn't like Zanon got better overnight. We're paying Zidlicky 4M(not a top-pairing d-man), Schultz 3.5M(complimentary top-4), Burns 3.55M(not a top-pairing d-man), and Barker slightly over 3M(not a proven top-4 guy). 14M for 4 d-man and we don't have anyone overly impressive. One of them is a bottom-pairing guy on this team as well as Zanon is our best 5-on-5 d-man. Nick Schultz was that guy this year, a #5 3.5M d-man.
Well if Minnesota only has four second-pairing guys and a couple third-pairing guys now, I'd hate to think what a few of the old Lemaire teams had.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Funny how the 6th d-man kills every penalty and plays the last minute of every important game.

I think some of you guys are too harshly critical, and if and when he moves on, you'll miss the stability he brings to the blueline. Look at how many guys have come and gone in the time he has been in MN, and now many of those players are not even in the NHL anymore.

As for Johnsson being better defensively...

Don't confuse smart with soft. Soft is a guy who backs down, not who leads the team in blocked shots every year.

Old
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Funny how the 6th d-man kills every penalty and plays the last minute of every important game.

I think some of you guys are too harshly critical, and if and when he moves on, you'll miss the stability he brings to the blueline. Look at how many guys have come and gone in the time he has been in MN, and now many of those players are not even in the NHL anymore.

Don't confuse smart with soft. Soft is a guy who backs down, not who leads the team in blocked shots every year.
Agreed, but given the inconsistencies of the entire blue line this season it is hard for many to be anything less than critical about this team.

Old
04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Well if Minnesota only has four second-pairing guys and a couple third-pairing guys now, I'd hate to think what a few of the old Lemaire teams had.
Lemaire also wanted his team to play a disciplined defense-first game, which can hide player's weaknesses.

Quote:

Clearly you didn't watch Johnsson with the Wild if you think Schultz is better defensively. As for leading the team in blocked shots, have ya checked the stats buddy? Zanon is miles ahead.

My issues are more with Barker/Zidlicky, but with GMCF actually being a part of their contracts, they aren't getting moved. I hate having so much tied up in average d-men.

Old
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Lemaire also wanted his team to play a disciplined defense-first game, which can hide player's weaknesses.

Clearly you didn't watch Johnsson with the Wild if you think Schultz is better defensively. As for leading the team in blocked shots, have ya checked the stats buddy? Zanon is miles ahead.

My issues are more with Barker/Zidlicky, but with GMCF actually being a part of their contracts, they aren't getting moved. I hate having so much tied up in average d-men.
I watch a fair amount of Wild hockey, and I think Schultz is as good as Johnsson defensively.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I watch a fair amount of Wild hockey, and I think Schultz is as good as Johnsson defensively.
Excellent in our own zone, but he lacks serious offensive skills and his passes are a little off target.

Old
04-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Excellent in our own zone, but he lacks serious offensive skills and his passes are a little off target.
Not so much as his shots. He picks his spot very well when to pinch, and misses golden opportunities again and again. But so did Johnny.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Not so much as his shots. He picks his spot very well when to pinch, and misses golden opportunities again and again. But so did Johnny.
He needs to get with Burns and Zids and work on it a little I think. If he can get himself a little more rounded I think he could really be a mover when we need it. Or he needs to get with Zanon and learn how to stop a puck with his junk

Old
04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
He needs to get with Burns and Zids and work on it a little I think. If he can get himself a little more rounded I think he could really be a mover when we need it. Or he needs to get with Zanon and learn how to stop a puck with his junk
Or learn where Zanon gets his steel bones?