HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Helmets

Old
04-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That's probably not a good guideline. Hat size is much better, as long as one knows the shape of their head and which helmets work best for what shape.

7 1/8 is a medium hat size (usually defined as 7- 7 1/4), but you'll find that many with that size wear small shirts.

Me: Hat size 7 LO(long oval for those not familiar with real hat sizing), Bauer 5000 size Medium, Chest 36, and just for the heck of it, waist 30 or 29 depending on the day.
So you wear a medium t-shirt? And you wear a medium hockey lid ... if you wear a medium shirt your helmet size is medium? My system was a guess but maybe accurate??? ... just a little bit maybe??

In any case I wear a Large that only gets tight when I need a haircut, I should wear an X-Large maybe but the large (Bauer HH4000L)extended fully fits perfectly so ..... I do not know my hat size so that doesn't help.

My chest is 54, waist is 36 ...not sure what all this means. I am sure there must be some 5 ft 6in 135lb guy with an extremely large Elephent Man head out there.

Nobody's head is bigger than Ovechkin's .... ooops did I say that?

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-11-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:44 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
So you wear a medium t-shirt? And you wear a medium hockey lid ... if you wear a medium shirt your helmet size is medium? My system was a guess but maybe accurate??? ... just a little bit maybe??
Doesnt work at all. I wear a 7 to a 7 1/8 (seems to depend on actual hat) which is fairly small. I also am an X-large when it comes to shirts and even if I lost some weight, would never be smaller than a large.

I wear a small CCM V08 helmet, but am a medium in most other helmets when it comes to straight hat sizing. Though the CCM is the one that fits the shape of my head the best.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:09 AM
MJAYK

After waiting for my 8k for three weeks without any notification i found out they had no helmets left. So i ordered a CCM Vector V10 from a different store. My previous helmet was also a CCM. The foam would just go rock solid when the temperature would go below 0C. My head hurt the next day after playing on our freezing cold arena. I'll tell you how it fits when i receive it (Hopefully by the end of this week).

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:15 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

In any case I wear a Large that only gets tight when I need a haircut, I should wear an X-Large maybe but the large (Bauer HH4000L)extended fully fits perfectly so ..... I do not know my hat size so that doesn't help.

My chest is 54, waist is 36 ...not sure what all this means. I am sure there must be some 5 ft 6in 135lb guy with an extremely large Elephent Man head out there.

Nobody's head is bigger than Ovechkin's .... ooops did I say that?
I wear small t shirts. I can wear a medium since I have wider shoulders, but it's baggy. And always a small in button up shirts, which typically have much much less wiggle room sizing wise.

And those people you're looking for are asians. A good number of people of asian decent have rather large heads in proportion to their body size, at least in comparison to your typical Caucasian. Just one of those traits. I have a friend who is as short as I am, but wears around a 7 1/2. He is somewhat more large then I am, but not by a huge margin.

Hat sizes tend to stay within a size or two when one gains weight, but shirt sizes can vary quite a bit.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I bought the S17 helmet when it came out, noticed I was getting very hot during games and fatiguing much faster than normal. Being 36 I just figured I was getting old and I just don't have the stamina I used to. Then I thought I'd use my old 8K, stopped using it because there are cracks on the front center of the helmet where the screws go in if you have a 3 point visor. I've come to the conclusion that just using the 8K helmet gives me much more energy with all the ventilation it provides out of the top. It seems silly but I no longer fatigue easily, my stamina is back and my visor doesn't feel like I'm in a fish bowl with all the sweat. Thinking of replacing it with the M11 but if it doesn't have the large vents at the top like the 8K I'll just get a new 8K. Can helmet vents make that much of a difference or am I just being a nancy boy? Does the M11 have as much ventialtion as the 8K?
My daughter's M11 seems to have a lot of venting, more than I've ever really notice on any other helmet.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Doesnt work at all. I wear a 7 to a 7 1/8 (seems to depend on actual hat) which is fairly small. I also am an X-large when it comes to shirts and even if I lost some weight, would never be smaller than a large.

I wear a small CCM V08 helmet, but am a medium in most other helmets when it comes to straight hat sizing. Though the CCM is the one that fits the shape of my head the best.
FREAK!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
I bought the S17 helmet when it came out, noticed I was getting very hot during games and fatiguing much faster than normal.
I was wondering about this. Just by looking at the silver grills on the front I'd think that the airflow would be hugely effected. I was wondering if one could simply remove the grills without destroying the helmet? Has anyone tried this? I want one 'cause it looks good but those grills concern me, I don't want to waste my money.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
I was wondering about this. Just by looking at the silver grills on the front I'd think that the airflow would be hugely effected. I was wondering if one could simply remove the grills without destroying the helmet? Has anyone tried this? I want one 'cause it looks good but those grills concern me, I don't want to waste my money.

Shy
Yes, that is what I did. I was getting so hot and just took a look at those mesh inserts and removed them. They are just glued in and easy to remove. I think an interesting comparison would be for somebody to measure the dimensions of the vents of the new helmets and give one the winner for most ventilation.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Yes, that is what I did. I was getting so hot and just took a look at those mesh inserts and removed them. They are just glued in and easy to remove. I think an interesting comparison would be for somebody to measure the dimensions of the vents of the new helmets and give one the winner for most ventilation.

Did you have to take it apart (remove the lineing) or did you just push them out?

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
Did you have to take it apart (remove the lineing) or did you just push them out?

Shy
Just it pushed it in with a screwdriver. It comes right off, didn't have to ruin anything or take it apart. The mesh is for looks but it prevents maximum airflow.

Old
04-14-2010, 03:31 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
After waiting for my 8k for three weeks without any notification i found out they had no helmets left. So i ordered a CCM Vector V10 from a different store. My previous helmet was also a CCM. The foam would just go rock solid when the temperature would go below 0C. My head hurt the next day after playing on our freezing cold arena. I'll tell you how it fits when i receive it (Hopefully by the end of this week).
I received my CCM Vector V10. Got it adjusted and it feels great and soft. We will see how the ventilation is on this. My old CCM used to leave me with a wet face so it cant be worse. I'll get a visor for it at the start of the next season. Wont get on the ice anyway before that.

Old
04-16-2010, 09:07 AM
MJAYK

Surprisingly i got to the ice twice before the Janitor of the arena started his summer break. Great helmet. Can't think of anything bad to say about it. Feels very comfortable and soft. It's a quality "lid" as some of you North Americans put it. I recommend this for all of those with the "CCM Molded" head.

Old
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Anthrax Jones

Older thread, but I wanted to give credit to Easton for the z-shock. I have been plagued by bad-fitting helmets over the years, and I've tried damn near every brand at least once, and more than one model of a couple of them as well. The first time I tried the z-shock on, I knew I found "my" helmet. The price tag is intimidating, but if it keeps someone like me from buying 3 new helmets in the next 3 years, it'll save me money in the long run. Highly recommended.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Skills Booth View Post
Older thread, but I wanted to give credit to Easton for the z-shock. I have been plagued by bad-fitting helmets over the years, and I've tried damn near every brand at least once, and more than one model of a couple of them as well. The first time I tried the z-shock on, I knew I found "my" helmet. The price tag is intimidating, but if it keeps someone like me from buying 3 new helmets in the next 3 years, it'll save me money in the long run. Highly recommended.
That's a sick helmet. I tried it on and it reminded me of a modern Jofa brain bucket. It doesn't have the padding I think you need but it is incredibly lightweight. There was just no way I was going to pay $170 for a helmet so I bought the M11 and love it. Once the Z Shock goes down in price I'm going to pick one up.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Anthrax Jones

Quote:
That's a sick helmet. I tried it on and it reminded me of a modern Jofa brain bucket. It doesn't have the padding I think you need but it is incredibly lightweight. There was just no way I was going to pay $170 for a helmet so I bought the M11 and love it. Once the Z Shock goes down in price I'm going to pick one up.
Understood, and that was my thought as well. I just figured I may as well pay it now and save myself a few months (or more) of tugging at my helmet and being uncomfortable with it.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the z-shock is, good luck mounting a visor to it. It took me almost 45 minutes to put it on because there's nothing to brace against inside the helmet, so it's just trying to thread the screw into the screw-sized hole, while juggling the spacers and trying to keep the visor in place. Maybe it's easy and I'm just an uncoordinated freak, but I had a devil of a time getting the visor on it.

Anthrax Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I use an Rbk 6k right now and I love it. Really comfortable and it looks good.

Before that I had a Bauer 5000 back when they were the top Bauer model. My team all got them one year but I wasn't a huge fan, it just didn't fit my head properly.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Tojo

I have a 7 1/8 hat size and just bought the Cascade M11, medium. I have to say this is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Ive gone from a CCM V08 and a Bauer 8500 and found this to be exceptional. I would recommend it to everyone!

Tojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I picked up a Bauer 5500, last one available in my area, this past summer. I'd LOVE an S19 but it doesn't fit properly. Next helmet will be an M11, super comfy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote