HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thabres @ Thenators, Theven PM, Thaturday April Tenth

Old
04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
AV18

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Did Ruff say anything about Stafford in his presser?

If he can't go tomorrow, do they call up Mancari, or try to go with Kaleta, or go with 7 D?
Concussion.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-stafford.html

AV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
jcbeze

whoever wins tomorrow will gain home ice advantage in round 2 when these 2 teams inevitably meet. So we start Miller, right?

jcbeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeze View Post
whoever wins tomorrow will gain home ice advantage in round 2 when these 2 teams inevitably meet. So we start Miller, right?
No, first and foremost, you worry about winning round 1. You have the best chance of this by giving Miller the night off.

SECOND, you worry about giving youself an advantage for a potential round 2 matchup. The TEAM can do this without Miller.

Not. Mutually. Exclusive.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeze View Post
We'd need to win in regulation, OT win would still give the Devils the #2 seed.

But Ruff is still going to play Lalime. Why? Because giving Miller the rest is more important. This team is just going to have to win in front of Lalime for once.

Plus, one would think the Devils would give Brodeur the night off now that they clinched the division. He's only played in what, 99.9% of their games this year?

We could very well see two backup goaltenders playing the match for 2nd place.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Great, I hope to see the importance when they play next in November.

It's ridiculous to think that this one win against Ottawa means anything for their playoff series vs Boston or Montreal.
You are HIGHLY discounting the fact that we could play Ottawa in the playoffs at some point THIS year. If we do face them at some point this win in HUGE. Also having confidence going into the playoffs is HUGE, whether this win was VS Ottawa, a different Eastern playoff team, a non playoff team or hell a Western team. And guess what... wins give you confidence

Quote:
Lalime in two of the last three games with the #2 standing on the line tells me all I need to know. They just don't care that much about being #2. Frankly, I don't think Ruff does, either.
How do you know what they think? Also how does starting Lalime in 2 of the last 3 have anything to do with us wanting or not wanting #2? That purely and ONLY has to do with wanting Miller to have rest after we had AT LEAST #3 locked up.

Quote:
No, he said beating them would have an impact on this roster. It will have an impact only insofar as it applies to Ottawa. To think they're going to be a changed team because they beat Ottawa once in six tries is mind-numbingly stupid.
Ask anyone who has played competive sports at any level, beating a team that has owned you for any amount of time is a HUGE confidence boost.

I would rather have my team thinking "We just beat a team who beat us 9 in a row we can beat anyone" than "Why the hell can't we beat that team?"

Quote:
I'm working under the assumption that if they cared that much about the #2 seed, we would've seen Miller in two of the final three games. Practically, a very correct assumption.
Not once did I see anyone say "They care that much" but yes they care and to think otherwise is a little silly. They just have other things to care about. Are they not allowed to care about more than one thing?

Quote:
Nope. Sorry. They'll feel good for the rest of tonight and tomorrow, and then they'll play another game. Acting like this win is going to affect their performance vs their 1st round opponent is incredibly dumb. It just is. This win won't help them score more goals on Tuukka Rask.
Hanging 5 on anyone will help, especially when one of the top offensive guys is strugging and coming back from injury and gets some (in this case 4) of those goals

[QUOTE]
Because, since this win only has impact, if any, for games against Ottawa, we won't see any impact, if any, until next season. Because Ottawa will be out of the playoffs and we won't see them until next season.
[/QOUTE]
Really you can see the future. Sweet can I have Tuesday's Mega Millions numbers please?

Quote:
I've seen teams finish poorly and win championships, and I've seen the opposite happen. I'm happy they won. I just don't think it means much, if anything. If they get whipped 6-1 tomorrow, I don't think they'll sit there and say "but we're confident because we beat Ottawa once."
Well of course both can happen but if you total the number of times a "hot team" going into the playoffs has won a championship in the four major sports VS the number of times a "cold team" going into the playoffs has won a championship in the four major sports I'm willing to bet my next paycheck that the "hot team" wins at least 2-1.

You will never hear a coach give this speech

"Well guys we have 5 games left, lets lose them all cause we are in the playoffs already so they don't matter"

You are 1000x (or more) more likely to hear something like

"Guys we've clinched a playoff spot but we have 5 games left. Lets go out there, enjoy these games, find our grove and go into the playoffs on a high note"

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
**** the senaturds.

And their dirty **** players.

They are gonna get swept and imma gonna laugh and laugh.

****em

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:57 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Stafford out with a concussion. Might be fortunate with Gerbe and Ennis playing so well.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:59 PM
playoffhero

Don't know if this had been posted but:

The Sabres are the only NHL team unbeaten this season when leading after two periods (30-0-0).

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:01 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by playoffhero View Post
Don't know if this had been posted but:

The Sabres are the only NHL team unbeaten this season when leading after two periods (30-0-0).
OMFG JINXXXXXXx

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:16 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
No, first and foremost, you worry about winning round 1. You have the best chance of this by giving Miller the night off.
Sorry, but facing the team we did the worst against this year, 2-4 vs. Boston, does not give us the best chance to win round 1. Statistically we're better off going for the #2 seed and that means play Miller. The matchup means more than 1 extra day of rest.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:54 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Sorry, but facing the team we did the worst against this year, 2-4 vs. Boston, does not give us the best chance to win round 1. Statistically we're better off going for the #2 seed and that means play Miller. The matchup means more than 1 extra day of rest.
Regular season series mean nothing in the postseason. The playoffs are a whole different beast. There are countless examples of teams that lose the season series but win the playoff series.--look no further to us beating the Senators in 05-06.

The fact is the goal of this team is to win the Cup. And to do that, they have to beat whomever they play. There are no easy roads to get there, you've got to beat the best to be the best. So quite frankly while as fans we certainly are entitled to our preference of opponent, the team has to beat whomever it faces.

This team can win with Lalime in net. Sure, maybe its tougher for them, but that's what they have to do. Miller has earned his rest, and even if he was playing there's no guarantee they would win. A well-rested Miller gives us a better shot against Boston than a tired Miller against Montreal or Philadelphia.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Die Monkey... Die!!!

Just a lil' reminder for the Sens about what it's like to play the Sabres in "meaningful" games.

3-1, 13-8... deal with it.

Bobby Bottle Service is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThorne View Post
Stafford out with a concussion. Might be fortunate with Gerbe and Ennis playing so well.
addition by staff-straction.

Bobby Bottle Service is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:44 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
OMFG JINXXXXXXx
That statline seems to be unjinxable. We talked about it so much, even during games. I remember when we were 14-0-0 we we're already posting this in the chat and elsewhere.

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:04 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTerror View Post
Rask can be beaten high glove side just like Lundquist, it's Boston's forecheck thats scary. This team has folded like a cheap tent more than once against a strong forecheck.
Exactly.

IMO, BUF vs. Rask, Lundqvist, Price, or Halak is essentially the same. Only the Flyers lack the goaltending.

I terms of forecheck, BOS & PHI are stronger than NYR, with MTL the weakest, again IMO.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:58 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
It's all for naught if Miller isn't rested enough.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote