HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Observations

Old
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
JR303

vCash: 500
Observations

I noticed 2 things that have really bothered me the last couple of games.

2 consecutive games now, we've had a player cross-checked from behind, face first into a one-timer from the point. Hqvist last night, and Weber in the DET game. (led to his xcheck penalty off the face-off, personally I think we were kinda hosed on that one) I've been watching hockey just under 20 years, and I can't recall seeing this before. I'm sure it's happened and I just didn't catch it, but twice in a row like that was pretty disturbing. Could have been really dangerous. Don't have any idea how Pete and Terry didn't notice it right off the bat last night.

The other thing is that have seen a lot of Ward in the D zone standing around, not taking a man, not tying anyone up and seeming to have no idea what to do. He was all alone last night on the Pyatt goal, and I'd like to think that a little pressure could have at least hindered Pyatt a little bit instead of cranking a snapper 15 feet from the net. Of course, it's tough to call out Ward, thought that every single forward was pretty weak in our D zone last night.

Also, the reason I made this thread is to hopefully start something like the obs thread at np. Many, many of us have learned a lot from that thread over there, and it's stayed pretty well on-topic. Personally I'd love to see one over here, and might even chime in from time to time. Don't let that deter you, please. It's been great for info, and I think it would be nice over here.

Would be great if someone had the fortitude to do a G/B/U like BC from years ago, and it helps having a singular thread when you don't have time to wade through a GDT at times.

Feel free to use this one, but if it's just overkill Slake and BFC delete it as needed.

I'll actually be at the game this Saturday, if so, does anyone go to 102/103 preskate anymore?

John

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I agree that we are missing a thread in the style of the Observation thread on NP. It'd be nice if this one or one like it takes off on here. A good deal of knowledge can be gained from it.

As to your point about cross checks from behind being missed, I'm honestly not really sure when the last time I heard a checking from behind penalty called. Granted, I haven't watched as much hockey this season as I have in seasons past, but it seems like it's a rule no one bothers calling even when it's blatant. A cross check from behind is supposed to be a major penalty, and still it isn't called. I can see letting it slide if it's a player attempting to clear an opponent out of the crease in the defensive zone. Sullivan took one in front of the bench last week. I think it was during the LA game. At the time I thought he had been hit from behind twice, but when I went back to watch the hits again it looks like he had turned into one of them. The other was a blatant cross check, though. Full extension of the arms with the stick held in both hands straight into the back of Sullivan, knocking him face first to the ice.

59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.

44.3 Major Penalty (Checking From Behind) – Any player or goalkeeper who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Im sure hoping our inability to score at home is due to the ice conditions, which should at least theoretically affect the visitors as well as us.

since the 5-0 blowout of the Wild, our home regulation goal totals have been 0,1,3,0,0,3,1... if we do that in a 7 game series I'd say we'll be going home quickly...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Im sure hoping our inability to score at home is due to the ice conditions, which should at least theoretically affect the visitors as well as us.

since the 5-0 blowout of the Wild, our home regulation goal totals have been 0,1,3,0,0,3,1... if we do that in a 7 game series I'd say we'll be going home quickly...
That and the ineffectiveness of the PP.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

What a weird scenario it would be if we lost a playoff round because we couldn't win at home, but in the same round he had no trouble in away games. I'd probably start to pull my hair out of my head. I do think the bad ice is a factor. I also think that having bad ice could actually help us against a Chicago/San Jose/Vancouver. Three teams that rely on passing to set up difficult-to-execute plays. Three teams that could be handcuffed offensively by soft ice.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
That and the ineffectiveness of the PP.
but thats really been there all season. we held up as well as we did because we did well scoring 5-on-5. until lately.

I am just hoping that Quenville isnt as proficient as Wilson was at whining so much as to get the ofiicials to call a ton of penalties.

with our crappy special teams will will benefit hugely from a "let 'em play" attitude from the refs...

Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Bad Karma

Seeing how the Preds are the least penalized team in the NHL, if some how they end up wit more PIM's than CHI. They might as well get their money's worth.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:26 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
but thats really been there all season. we held up as well as we did because we did well scoring 5-on-5. until lately.

I am just hoping that Quenville isnt as proficient as Wilson was at whining so much as to get the ofiicials to call a ton of penalties.

with our crappy special teams will will benefit hugely from a "let 'em play" attitude from the refs...
As poorly as our PK numbers look for the season, the unit has been pretty good over the last 10-15 games and looking like the units of years past. The PP is in a funk but usually turns it around for a stretch of games. If we can get that going again, I think we'll be all right. I think we'll be good either way to be honest with you. We're the under dog, have been all year and I think this bunch of guys is tired of hearing they can't win a series or on the road in the playoffs. I also think having Rinne playing well is a good thing. I just hope the layoff doesn't effect his timing too much.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

gotta try to just put this on in the rearview and get home, where we will have last change, and see if we cant exploit some matchups.

If we had lost game 1 had won game 2, we'd be a lot more pumped up than we are right now. funny how that works in a playoff series...

hopefully we get the customary amazing home playoff atmosphere and simply will these boys to two wins at home, just like has happened in the RW series before...

Old
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
gotta try to just put this on in the rearview and get home, where we will have last change, and see if we cant exploit some matchups.

If we had lost game 1 had won game 2, we'd be a lot more pumped up than we are right now. funny how that works in a playoff series...

hopefully we get the customary amazing home playoff atmosphere and simply will these boys to two wins at home, just like has happened in the RW series before...
Honestly, I'm thrilled by this. Get the split. Done, now try and win them all at home. If the Preds win 2 of the 3 home games they can win this series. This has been playing in Nashville's wheel house. Heavy defensive play. Low scoring. If I told you the Preds would hold Chicago to 3 goals in the first two games you'd be doing cartwheels.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Honestly, I'm thrilled by this. Get the split. Done, now try and win them all at home. If the Preds win 2 of the 3 home games they can win this series. This has been playing in Nashville's wheel house. Heavy defensive play. Low scoring. If I told you the Preds would hold Chicago to 3 goals in the first two games you'd be doing cartwheels.
If you told me the Preds would have scored 4 goals in the first 2 games, I'd have told you we weren't going to be 1-1. We've got to find a way to score goals (maybe we can convince Chicago to pull the goalie more often).

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
If you told me the Preds would have scored 4 goals in the first 2 games, I'd have told you we weren't going to be 1-1. We've got to find a way to score goals (maybe we can convince Chicago to pull the goalie more often).
Nashville has to win these games 2-1, 3-2.It's the Nashville way.

Or we can kindly inform Weber to start assassinating Hawks with his slapper. Just have the Preds forwards push a Hawk player into the line of fire.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I think Chicago has some defensive weaknesses that we have just failed to exploit because of not having last change. the Goc/Sully line generated a bunch of chances and cycled for a long time, and the 4th line was able to spend a lot of time in their end as well. If we can get our big lines on the ice against someone other than Hossa and Toewes iI think we will have even more chances.

Biggest thing coming home is we have gotta stay out of the box...

Old
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
I think Chicago has some defensive weaknesses that we have just failed to exploit because of not having last change. the Goc/Sully line generated a bunch of chances and cycled for a long time, and the 4th line was able to spend a lot of time in their end as well. If we can get our big lines on the ice against someone other than Hossa and Toewes iI think we will have even more chances.

Biggest thing coming home is we have gotta stay out of the box...
Unlike the 5 or 6 penalties in a friggin row last night?

Old
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM
JR303

We won the first game with 2 things - extreme goaltending and tenacity. Last night we missed one of those, take a guess.

I try not to "call-out" players all that often, but I have to say I am really, really displeased with Arnott and Weber right now. I'm hoping Weber's is just nerves/temporary, pucks rolling off his stick, missing passes, shots way off the radar. He's been absolutely terrible in my opinion, hope I don't get crucified for saying so. Arnott has been like this his entire career, when he wants to play, and hustle, he's a force, but when he's ambiguous like the first 2 games, he looks slow and completely ineffective.

I don't know how many shots the Hawks have blocked (don't care, actually) but am completely amazed at how few of our shots from the blueline are getting through. First game P & T were talking about the Hawks collapsing all 5 guys below the dots, so if we can get puck to the d we have room to shoot. Last night, they're talking about all the bodies in front and the shots get blocked. Can't have it both ways, either find ways to spead them out in their zone, or the forwards are going to have to find open areas and start shooting/scoring.

The most amazing thing to me after watching those 2 games is, I believe that they are a beatable team. Forget the lucky bounces, and the Niemi talk, we were tenacious in the 3rd of our win, and they couldn't handle the forecheck. Not sure where it went Sunday, but we need it back. I don't think we've played anywhere near our best hockey yet, and I think it's time we start slowing down their transition game by punishing them. I started to make an avatar about finishing their checks and not rolling off the guys after they let the pass go but decided against it. I suppose I'm just as guilty as the players.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

well, i am hoping the suckage of the Arnott line in general has more to do with the fact that Quennville skated the Toews/Hossa line against them all night both games... pretty tough sledding, even for a #1 guy. We'll see how things go when trotz can choose what line to play them against.

Weber is Weber... he will either score a goal or miss the net, not much in between.

And I am with you on our shots not getting through but part of the reason is the hawks collapsing down low.. it leaves the D-men wide open and almost with too much time...gotta get the D shooting faster before Chicago can close all the lanes.

Old
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Legwand on the PP too...the guy has lost all offensive capabilities he ever had. His best move when he gets the puck in the zone is a drop pass.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote