HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Our Two Young Goaltenders

Old
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Our Two Young Goaltenders

Jeff Deslauriers and Devan Dubnyk have had to shoulder the load between the pipes since Khabibulin went down and it has certainly been a trying year for both players in Edmonton. However, in tandem with the team rebounding over the last few games, the two goalies have also shown a massive improvement in play.

The sample size is certainly limited and it's tough to assess players on a bad team like Edmonton playing loose hockey down the stretch but here is what the two have done since the trade deadline:

Devan Dubnyk
9 Games Played
.908 SV%
0 Shutouts

Jeff Deslauriers
10 Games Played
.913 SV%
1 Shutout

What is perhaps more encouraging is that the consistency appears to be improving for both youngsters. While both show some technical flaws between the pipes, both are at least starting to look like NHL goaltenders.

With Khabibulin's next season up in the air, the emergence of both JDD and Dubnyk is certainly a positive for the Oilers.

The question is: If Khabibulin plays with the team next year, which one do you keep. Is Dubnyk eligible for waivers or can he pass through and play one more year in the AHL?

04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
im leaning towards dubnyk. i just think when hes jeff's age he'll be head and shoulders above where he is now, chalk it up to poor development on account of oilers system, or just chalk it up to dubnyk being a MONSTER in size and playing a textbook butterfly

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
smokersarejokers

I believe Dubnyk is waiver eligible, but the team that claims him would have to keep him on their NHL roster. A few teams with crappy, aging back-ups would probably welcome either guy.

We'll see. It might have to come down to a trade.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
I believe Dubnyk is waiver eligible, but the team that claims him would have to keep him on their NHL roster. A few teams with crappy, aging back-ups would probably welcome either guy.

I believe it was Matty that mentioned it. He said they'd trade one of the two so they wouldn't lose either on waivers.

04-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I was pondering what their last 10 games each have looked like. Thanks for that.

I dunno. I think the problem is that neither has exactly risen ahead of the other.

I question how horrible it would be to let them battle it out again next year with an even 41/41 game split. Worse comes to worse we have another Top-5 pick. Best case scenario we have a goalie.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Yeah I'm starting to like what Dubnyk is doing in the nets though I'm starting to see why he was tagged as sort of soft mentally. When he lets a goal in it's almost like the flood gates open. I would not mind hanging on to both and seeing what we have.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:38 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post

YEs--this is DD last season of being exempt from waivers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The question is: If Khabibulin plays with the team next year, which one do you keep. Is Dubnyk eligible for waivers or can he pass through and play one more year in the AHL?
We're going into the seasons with the "three headed monster" again. Thank god they did that the last time, btw. Would have been a shame to lose JDD to keep Garon or Roli. Khabi will end his career on LTIR. Book it.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
We're going into the seasons with the "three headed monster" again. Thank god they did that the last time, btw. Would have been a shame to lose JDD to keep Garon or Roli. Khabi will end his career on LTIR. Book it.
That's quite the bold statement. I wish it were true, but the facts are pointing in the other direction. From what I understand, Khabby is already back with the team and even doing some light practicing. It sounds like he'll be back next year (God help us all).

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Faryn

I remember reading somewhere that if he retires this summer his contract comes of the books but if he doesn't then we have to keep it for the full term. Can anyone confirm this? I keep reading everywhere on these boards that no matter what his full cap hit stays with the Oilers.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
WilliamRanford

I have a feeling Khabi is going to surprise everybody next year. Every single year it seems like a player surprises after facing a chorus of criticism... Penner being the most obvious example.

WilliamRanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
I have a feeling Khabi is going to surprise everybody next year. Every single year it seems like a player surprises after facing a chorus of criticism... Penner being the most obvious example.
I could see it, he's had a lot of rest and could light it up next year for sure.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
I completely agree. Habby is proven to be very, very good. There's no reason to think he's anything but.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Eytinge

I think people forget just how good a goalie Khabby is. He's also my pick for comeback player for the Oilers next year.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
aspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Yeah I'm starting to like what Dubnyk is doing in the nets though I'm starting to see why he was tagged as sort of soft mentally. When he lets a goal in it's almost like the flood gates open. I would not mind hanging on to both and seeing what we have.

Wow....you have me curious....why such a complete flip and round about face within just a week of being so adamant that we send Dubnyk down and waive him?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=758856&page=2

aspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
That's quite the bold statement. I wish it were true, but the facts are pointing in the other direction. From what I understand, Khabby is already back with the team and even doing some light practicing. It sounds like he'll be back next year (God help us all).
A healthy Khabibulin is actually a pretty good goalie. The contract isn't great, and there's always the possibility of a steep drop in play due to his age, but if the Oilers are to have any sort of success next year, I'd expect Khabibulin will figure prominently in it.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
A healthy Khabibulin is actually a pretty good goalie. The contract isn't great, and there's always the possibility of a steep drop in play due to his age, but if the Oilers are to have any sort of success next year, I'd expect Khabibulin will figure prominently in it.
Maybe. Or maybe we see a repeat of this season. The uncertainty over Khabby is ridiculously high, especially considering his contract. They might as well be playing Russian Roulette with the season if Khabby + JDD/DD are in net again. If Khabby stays healthy and plays well (two big if's imo), they could be fighting for a playoff spot. If he doesn't we'll be talking about Larsson. The goaltending situation next year is that hard to predict if they're going with the same players.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin View Post
Wow....you have me curious....why such a complete flip and round about face within just a week of being so adamant that we send Dubnyk down and waive him?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=758856&page=2
He's had 4 or 5 goods starts in a row. I can honestly say that before this stretch I don't think he even had 1 good,even mediocre start. He was constantly getting exposed. Especially on his glove hand. I recall one game against Columbus where his glove hand was clearly being targeted and he let like 3 soft goals in on the glove hand. 2 of them were incredibly brutal. Basically what happened is he got better. See what happens in the summer, in training camp, I would look at doing something with Khabby. Opinions change.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:00 AM
kurtcobang

I have even less confidence in J.D so I say Dub and Khabi next season would be ok with me

kurtcobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:26 AM
aspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
He's had 4 or 5 goods starts in a row. I can honestly say that before this stretch I don't think he even had 1 good,even mediocre start. He was constantly getting exposed. Especially on his glove hand. I recall one game against Columbus where his glove hand was clearly being targeted and he let like 3 soft goals in on the glove hand. 2 of them were incredibly brutal. Basically what happened is he got better. See what happens in the summer, in training camp, I would look at doing something with Khabby. Opinions change.
Ok....he has only played two games since you made those comments....but whatever. I am just glad you are not the Oilers GM....he needs to consider a lot more than how the goalie has played his last two starts.......he needs to assess the potential and see that. I hope he sees that in Dubnyk and I am sure with Chabot's help he does.

The fact of the matter is, is that he is still going to have some bad games as is JDD....goalies do not become consistent until late in their 20s after they get that experience and learn the mental aspect of the game well. At this point in their rebuilding I just do not see what good having Khabibulan will do when he will be gone for sure in a couple of years...by that time JDD and Dubnyk are shining as two young goalies in the league....I just hope it is not somewhere else.

aspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:57 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
I remember reading somewhere that if he retires this summer his contract comes of the books but if he doesn't then we have to keep it for the full term. Can anyone confirm this? I keep reading everywhere on these boards that no matter what his full cap hit stays with the Oilers.
From what I've heard Stauff and Gregor both have said that if he retires this summer the contract comes off the books but if he sticks it out his contract is at the full price and term.

Between JDD/DD IMO DD will be a more reliable tender over his career because he is better positionally and technically, while JDD has the flare for the big unorthodox save but has awful positioning. JDD reminds me of a poor mans Hasek. JDD wil be traded and DD will backup Khabi next year, because he is younger and has a better chance at being a consistant goalie.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

I hope the Oilers can keep both of them. However, IMO, they keep DD over JDD. I think DD has more to learn from Khabby considering their similar styles.

I think JDD would be better of learning from someone like Hasek, Roloson and Thomas. Scrambly goalies that rely on athleticism.

Vizzie235 is offline   Reply With Quote