HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. Oilers - 04/10/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
YA LOL, it's FUNNY to think that. I wonder what's going to happen with Bernier is in the same position like this next year. What will some of you have to fall back on? Yeah, exactly.
A goalie of Bernier's pedigree and talent should be in the NHL now. Hell he was the Kings best goalie at 18, and has been since. From what I have seen from Bernier in Lewiston, International tournaments, Manchester etc. Is that Bernier seems to thrive on pressure, not crumble. He's carried teams, succeeded at every level of Hockey. Except the NHL, but that is coming soon.

The ONLY reason he is in Manchester is to humble him and get his work ethic straightened out. That's why he was given no shot to compete for a Kings roster spot this season, instead Quick was handed the job. Doesn't necessarily mean Quick is the better Goaltender. Just means that management are grooming Bernier to be the goaltender he can be in the near future.

I know you have some high school crush on Quick, but in the hockey world it's going to be Bernier that leads us to the promise land.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
How the **** does an NHL coach not see that Drewiskie is better than Jones? Drewiskie was rock solid last season and I know he has had some setbacks this season but he would have gotten back to form with playing time. Jones is ****ing slow to react, does nothing in terms of physicality and runs around a lot. I don't ****ing get it.
well, you know.... love does make you do strange things...

btw, I finally found my old sexy pick avatar I had before the Olympic.. Kings should be on a roll now.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:02 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
You can say with a straight face that Bernier is immune to slumping?
... Although I think Bernier IS a better goalie than Quick right now, the obvious fact of the matter is that neither Bernier nor Quick are immune to slumping at any time.

I think that potentially Quick can be significantly better next season than he has been this one, provided that he and Bernier are used as 1 and 1A's and neither one ridden into the ground.

At this point, the justification for keeping Bernier down is becoming ridiculous, especially with Murray's obvious reluctance to use Ersberg in any situation whatsoever. To keep him down in Manchester is tantamount to throwing games, and a four-game sweep in the playoffs should cost both Murray and Lombardi their jobs. Lombardi should be held accountable for the fact that zero playoff wins in four seasons is an embarrassing record for any GM, and Murray should be held accountable for his awful handling of the Kings' goalies.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:07 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

So... Aside from TM and DL's love for ex-shark and ex-Philly, TM and/or DL thinks Kings don't have any D-man who can replace Jones in the system?
hmm... that kinda worries me a bit...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:25 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

If the Kings are put in a situation to have to use their backup in the playoffs, it's over. It doesn't matter if it's Ersberg or Bernier. Playoff series aren't won with backup goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
To keep him down in Manchester is tantamount to throwing games, and a four-game sweep in the playoffs should cost both Murray and Lombardi their jobs. Lombardi should be held accountable for the fact that zero playoff wins in four seasons is an embarrassing record for any GM
LOL.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-11-2010 at 12:45 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

At this point, the justification for keeping Bernier down is becoming ridiculous, especially with Murray's obvious reluctance to use Ersberg in any situation whatsoever. To keep him down in Manchester is tantamount to throwing games, and a four-game sweep in the playoffs should cost both Murray and Lombardi their jobs. Lombardi should be held accountable for the fact that zero playoff wins in four seasons is an embarrassing record for any GM, and Murray should be held accountable for his awful handling of the Kings' goalies.
Notsureifserious.jpg?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:07 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
... Although I think Bernier IS a better goalie than Quick right now, the obvious fact of the matter is that neither Bernier nor Quick are immune to slumping at any time.

I think that potentially Quick can be significantly better next season than he has been this one, provided that he and Bernier are used as 1 and 1A's and neither one ridden into the ground.

In a sense I agree with you. In the immediate gratification sense.

The reality is that Lombardi has had a plan for Bernier since he drafted him, and he is going to see that plan through to the letter come hell or high water.

He had to change Quick's plan last year because of the injuries and luckily it worked out really well for a full season's worth of games. Now the inevitable growing pains are coming in full force and there is really just no way that DL is going to willingly change the plan for Bernier as well because Quick's growing pains are coming at the worst possible time. He will sooner see this team swept in 4.

It sucks.

For now.

In the end, I do believe that this is the best for Bernier. The future won't be undone if this playoff season doesn't go too well. We are different to St Louis and Columbus and have nothing in common with them in terms of the way this team is being built.

Now, as for Murray.

He has royaly ****ed up. There is no excuse for not playing Ersberg more, the guy who just last summer we all hoped would be our starting goaltender.

At this point, ias tough a choice as it, I do believe you have to ride Quick and Ersberg to the end of this season. Bernier is the most important asset this team has in the long run, and he needs to be brought along according to a plan and not according to the highs and lows of his closest competitor right now.

You can disagree and would have a point. Only time will tell, but it is obvious what Lombardi wants to do with Bernier, and personally I agree with it.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:24 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Notsureifserious.jpg?
... How many GMs of non-expansion teams were allowed to keep their jobs after zero playoff wins in four seasons? Any either of you know off-hand?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24frolov View Post
A goalie of Bernier's pedigree and talent should be in the NHL now. Hell he was the Kings best goalie at 18, and has been since. From what I have seen from Bernier in Lewiston, International tournaments, Manchester etc. Is that Bernier seems to thrive on pressure, not crumble. He's carried teams, succeeded at every level of Hockey. Except the NHL, but that is coming soon.

The ONLY reason he is in Manchester is to humble him and get his work ethic straightened out. That's why he was given no shot to compete for a Kings roster spot this season, instead Quick was handed the job. Doesn't necessarily mean Quick is the better Goaltender. Just means that management are grooming Bernier to be the goaltender he can be in the near future.

I know you have some high school crush on Quick, but in the hockey world it's going to be Bernier that leads us to the promise land.

We will see. But, Bernier is going to go through a slump too. I can't wait to hear the excuses his boner fans bring up. It's going to be hilarious.

Quick took the team this far and he will finish the season with this team.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:14 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Bernier is going to go through a slump too. I can't wait to hear the excuses his boner fans bring up. It's going to be hilarious.
All goalies go through slump...but the great ones perform when the pressure is on. Quick seems to not be able to handle the pressure right now. It's quite simple, Quick needs to produce and do well because I assure you he won't be handed the starting job next season.

Quote:
Quick took the team this far and he will finish the season with this team.
I don't think anyone is disputing that, since it's written on the wall by Murray and Management. However he doesn't look like the goalie of the future for the Kings anymore.

Old
04-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Orenji

Watch Quick get us to the WCF, and Bernier throws his coffee mug at his television.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24frolov View Post
All goalies go through slump...but the great ones perform when the pressure is on. Quick seems to not be able to handle the pressure right now. It's quite simple, Quick needs to produce and do well because I assure you he won't be handed the starting job next season.
This is his first full season. The playoffs haven't even started yet, so I wouldn't call the position he is.."pressure" when the Kings have already locked down a spot. I will wait till we start actually playing until I put out a different opinion on him. But, even then, no reason he doesn't deserve a second chance with him and Bernier challenging for the spot.

So, what if Bernier is in the same exact place Quick is in now? What do you call that? You automatically say he isn't going to be the future goaltender? I doubt that. Everybody will try to stick up for him like I am for Quick.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is disputing that, since it's written on the wall by Murray and Management. However he doesn't look like the goalie of the future for the Kings anymore.
He doesn't look like? Seriously? His first playoff series in his first full season and he doesn't look like it? Alright. I don't agree with you whatsoever. That's like saying, "Oh, I did it once and failed, So I must not continue". That sounds a bit stupid and like you don't believe in yourself or have any kind of patience which is going on in this scenario. It's the teams first playoff experience in years and Quick is the guy to go with.

Next season changes. So, root for your good damn team and stop complaining already.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:20 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
This is his first full season. The playoffs haven't even started yet, so I wouldn't call the position he is.."pressure" when the Kings have already locked down a spot.
Hasn't won since March 22nd...hmm. Maybe it's just me but these end of the regular season games are IMPORTANT...and they do with some form of playoff intensity because Kings are jockeying for a playoff spot. When you get pulled in 2 starts out of 8 games down the stretch, and the only games the Kings are winning are when Bernier or Ersberg gets put in.

If his play doesn't concern you right now, especially at this time. Then I don't think it ever will concern you.

Quote:
He doesn't look like? Seriously?
As it stands now...no he doesn't.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I like how a blown defensive assignment to let a man skate in 1 on 1 is Quick's fault. A puck going off a skate is Quick's fault. A team that goes 1 for 6 on the PP and keeps the puck on the point for most of it....Quick's fault. And an offense that can't pull its head out its a** to make Devan Dubnyk look like some kid of love child between Roy and Brodeur. Yes I'll admit that the 1 goal was horrible and incredibly soft, but maybe it was finally going down 3-0 that woke this team up.

But hey lets just keep blaming Quick or TM or Jones, let's not talk about Simmonds having 5 points in the last 19 games. Or Stoll with 3 goals in the last 20 games, or Smyth with 3 goals in the last 20 as well. So it is not exactly like we are losing all these games 8-7, we can't win all of our playoff games 1-0.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Orenji

But it was Jones fault that the Oilers scored that first goal.

Don't worry though, he will entertain us with a hat trick tomorrow.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:41 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Kings didn't exactly help Quick today by missing assignments and waiting until 13:00 left in the game to show up.
Yeah, those 39 shots through 2 periods, while limited the Oilers to 13; they definitely didn't show up for that part of the game.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
if quick hadnt slumped since the baby and olympics and kept his form, not one single person here would be complaining that he was overworked... i certaintly dont believe that hes slumped because of too many starts either. Thats stupid to think considering how young and athletic he is. I think the time off actually hurts him more than playing every game.

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
i think that when the team loses on fan appreciation day, they need to appreciate us by dropping booze prices after the game!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote