HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs fans thought it was Ballard's fault, but 20 years later - 29th place, no Cups

Old
04-11-2010, 12:57 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Leafs fans thought it was Ballard's fault, but 20 years later - 29th place, no Cups

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../13541586.html

Last edited by The Messenger: 04-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:05 AM
The Mauve Avenger

Harold Ballard brought one of the darkest eras in Leafs history. I don't like MLSE, but Ballard was Henry F. Potter.

The Mauve Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
Harold Ballard brought one of the darkest eras in Leafs history. I don't like MLSE, but Ballard was Henry F. Potter.
This.

Though I'm getting increasingly aggravated at MLSE considering its not just the Leafs who are struggling to even make the playoffs, but their other two sports properties as well.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quite frankly, it was MLSE's fault, with their stupid, "Come to us, before you make moves" policies. But now with Coligango & Burke demanding the autonomy to make moves, MLSE now only has to worry about how long it takes for this to happen.

I don't really follow [or give a fig newton] about Basketball, but Burke is putting the pieces together. I don't mind waiting another 3-5 years for it to click in. We hit the playoffs next season and the season after that, gaining lots of experience, and then make the cup push.

All is good.

[And comparing Stavros/Tannenbaum/MLSE to Ballard is low. Ballard, as I heard; was scum of the earth. And to give MLSE they freaking tried, and had been close. Ballard... not so much].

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:54 AM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post

First and foremost..these writers have no imagination nor any skills..they should be kissing the leafs ***** for keeping their job…..it got so bad that when the winter Olympics was on they wrote about the leafs…joke..
Now on to MLSE…they have a bad rap…they the leafs were always one of the highest teams in term of payroll…how dare MLSE allow them to go in the 60millions…and when they were making all those bad trades…shame on MLSE to allow them to do so…
What I’m saying is stop blaming everything on them…..
And yes I totally agree about Ballard

calvo2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:14 AM
The Messenger

Nothing new here. Leafs are out. Nothing for the sports writers to talk about so let dust off the old haven't won in 40 years story. Ballard and OTPP are easy targets. Lets have some fun.

Lance Hornsby has gone way down hill imo with this type of trash talking.

Glad HockeyWiz brought this to our attention though.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:35 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Why is it that HockeyWiz only posts the negative stories on here?

MajorityRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
RogerRoeper*

This article bugs me because the fact they're playing poorly doesn't let Ballard off the hook at all. Look how fast they turned it around in 92-93' shortly after Ballard's death.

It was Ballard's fault. He was a horrible human being.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

The author has a point, but neglects to state the differences in the era's and the fact getting into the playoffs today is more difficult than it was in the 80's.

However, yes 2nd. last in the league in any era is just plain failure.

We do see some light at the end of this tunnel, but what we don't know is how long it will take to get there, or if it is a freight heading in our directions.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This article bugs me because the fact they're playing poorly doesn't let Ballard off the hook at all. Look how fast they turned it around in 92-93' shortly after Ballard's death.

It was Ballard's fault. He was a horrible human being.

Hornsby is a joke…one of the most if not the most despicable act ever made was on Ballard’s watch..even though it was not hockey related…what a joke…. Hornsby you should be a shamed of yourself..goof

calvo2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
RogerRoeper*

I think a lot of young Leaf fans don't know how bad of a person Ballard was. Read up on some of his antics, it's pretty shocking.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
mlugia
That other guy

So... Hockeywiz thinks it's an apt comparison for Burke's team today to how Ballard ran teams back then?

That's... a stretch. And a stupid one too.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Tonka
Diggles

You do realize how close to the Cup tey were in '93.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Aw Toronto Sun.....

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The author has a point, but neglects to state the differences in the era's and the fact getting into the playoffs today is more difficult than it was in the 80's.

However, yes 2nd. last in the league in any era is just plain failure.

We do see some light at the end of this tunnel, but what we don't know is how long it will take to get there, or if it is a freight heading in our directions.
Couldn't it be argued that its easier to get in the playoffs in this ERA?..

A Salary Cap CBA that keeps all teams equal on spending limits gives even the weaker financial teams in the playoff hunt. OTL loser points for OT losses keeps more teams lumped together and in playoff contention longer. In the 80's tie games existed. A Bettman NHL that allows Parity so that all teams can compete for a playoff spot on a relatively equal basis.

In the 1990s the Leafs bought $$$ their playoff spot because they would spend $65 million on players and be in the Top 5 overall in spending and many small market teams spending $30-35 mil. With 8 of 15 teams making the playoffs in a Conference the $$ Double $$ the salary easily put a team like Toronto in and a Buffalo out of the annual playoff race by outspending their competition and having the talent advantage.

In the 1980's Leaf fans could blame the cheap ruthless Harold Ballard as the reason for icing such a poor team in the standings, as it was done by Ownership design. So finishing last and drafting Wendel Clark 1st overall in the 1980's was easy explainable and understandable. Now a days MLSE spends to the CAP Ceiling and now are only 1 of 2 teams to never make the playoffs in a Cap Era including this embarassing 29th overall finish that is reminiscent of the 1980's and Ballard Era..

This years team other than $$$ spent on Salaries was #29 in goals against, #26th in goals for, with a 2nd worst differential of -53. A 30th and last ranked PK and PP units (a result not matched since Wilson's coached Ducks in 1994-95 and 15 years ago). An 0-7-3 start the worst in Leafs history (that not even the Ballard Era matched). With Leafs all but officially eliminated from this years playoff race with 1/4 of the season to go. You really couldn't even get much worse than we just witnessed.

As a diehard Leaf fan that suffered through all 43 years since 1967 like you, this one just completed was a bad statistically and painful to endure as some of those that occurred within the Ballard Era. So as you say the Writer does have a point to his comparison, that I can certainly see where he is coming from.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Couldn't it be argued that its easier to get in the playoffs in this ERA?..
You know the answer to that is no. In a 21 team league, 16 teams made the playoffs. The Leafs played in the worst division, and only had to outplay one of Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago or St Louis to make the playoffs. They were a sad sack team playing in the right division, which made it look a little better because they were in the playoffs.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:20 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

As a diehard Leaf fan that suffered through all 43 years since 1967 like you, this one just completed was a bad statistically and painful to endure as some of those that occurred within the Ballard Era. So as you say the Writer does have a point to his comparison, that I can certainly see where he is coming from.
While finishing 29th is painful, there were many points in this season, specifically February onward, that gave me some enjoyment, and took some of the sting away. Remember how you felt early on that Sunday morning when you got up to "big changes are coming" and the press was on alert? I remember where I was, and will for a long time.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Toronto Star > Toronto Sun

The latter seems to be run by idiots.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:25 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Nothing new here. Leafs are out. Nothing for the sports writers to talk about so let dust off the old haven't won in 40 years story. Ballard and OTPP are easy targets. Lets have some fun.

ND I know your traditionally a supporter of the OTPP/MLSE but you don't think their doing something 'wrong'? The Leafs are sitting out of the playoffs for the 5th season in a row (a franchise record), the Raptors missed the playoffs last year and are tied for the final playoff spot. The TFC haven't been able to squeeze into the playoff since their inception and their hopes aren't exactly looking bright this year. Their track record is pretty poor, with the exception of the pre-lockout Leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Toronto Star > Toronto Sun

The latter seems to be run by idiots.
The Globe and Mail is like Chess

The Toronto Star is like Checkers

The Toronto Sun is like Go Fish

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The Toronto Sun is like Go Fish

go fish? or 52 card pick-up?

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:55 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post

And it's not like we haven't been close. We likely should have been there in 93.

Hornsby has really taken a dive, with this kind of crap. Comparing then, to now is laughable. The team is spending money, they want to win. It's not the "we don't have to do anything, and they'll still come" attitude we got from the Ballard era.

I'm happy with the direction of this team. I know plenty of people aren't sure where this is going. But Burke is working hard. And the group he has in there cares about winning soon, and winning long term. I don't know how you can't be happy with that attitude going forward.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Wasn't even worth reading, who ever doesn't think Ballard damaged this team terribly doesn't know Leafs Hockey.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
mooseOAK*

Considering that he has knowledge that Ballard's watch include vile criminal acts performed under his nose, Hornby should know better.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

I remember my Dad being happy when Ballard died, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one to feel that way. That's gotta say something.

The NHL should've revoked his ownership based on the amount of ******** that went down in his regime.

Last edited by Ratboy: 04-11-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
If there isn't a negative Leaf article in the Star, There is in the Sun

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote