HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Edm gets 1st pick and Bos gets 2nd would you do this?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
  #26
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,708
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
That logic doesn't work for me at all.

The only way Edmonton trades down from Hall to Seguin is if they like Seguin better. This 50/50, they'll take the second round pick idea just doesn't jive with BPA.
I don't see what's so hard to understand..Although I wouldn't do it for a 2nd round pick.
Let's say Edmonton wins the lottery and don't care which player they get. Let's also say Boston wants Hall a lot more than Seguin. The only way they Boston can be assured they get Hall, and we don't, is trade up to get the 1st pick. It's concievable that they could want Hall that bad. In that case they could trade either a good prospect/player plus the TO pick, or add their own 1st for 1st overall to make sure they get their man.
For the Oilers sake they get whatever Boston gives (another 1st or prospect/player) and they still get Seguin with the 2nd overall. Not a bad deal.

Having said all that, I want Hall so probably wouldn't do it unless it's maybe it's for Wheeler and 2nd overall.

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
  #27
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 14,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I don't see what's so hard to understand..Although I wouldn't do it for a 2nd round pick.
Let's say Edmonton wins the lottery and don't care which player they get.
But right here, the plan has already gone off the rails.

This isn't going to happen. MacGregor has already said as much. There is one player they want more than the other (as it should be if a team has the first overall pick).

If Edmonton wants Hall, and they get the first pick, Boston could throw in as many Wheelers/Colbornes as they want and it wouldn't be enough to get a deal done.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
  #28
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,708
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
But right here, the plan has already gone off the rails.

This isn't going to happen. MacGregor has already said as much. There is one player they want more than the other (as it should be if a team has the first overall pick).

If Edmonton wants Hall, and they get the first pick, Boston could throw in as many Wheelers/Colbornes as they want and it wouldn't be enough to get a deal done.
I agree if they have indeed chosen Hall. The above was for the scenario where they hadn't made up their mind or they wanted Seguin.
Geting Seguin and Wheeler may be palatable if half of them haven't decided who's the better pick.

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
  #29
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
But right here, the plan has already gone off the rails.

This isn't going to happen. MacGregor has already said as much. There is one player they want more than the other (as it should be if a team has the first overall pick).

If Edmonton wants Hall, and they get the first pick, Boston could throw in as many Wheelers/Colbornes as they want and it wouldn't be enough to get a deal done.
I never heard that from MacGregor all reports I heard were that the oilers scouting staff was split on the subject. Yes obviously if they prefer one over the other then you take the guy you want.

However it would be due diligence for the oilers to talk to the Bruins about it. One has to look at it as:

Seguin and perhaps the 32nd pick vs Hall. If our goal as has been talked about a few times is to get back up into the 1st round even fairly high to get another blue chipper that draft pick you potentially get from Boston might be pretty valueable.

The Oilers should at least poke around and see what Boston would give up.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
  #30
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 14,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I never heard that from MacGregor all reports I heard were that the oilers scouting staff was split on the subject. Yes obviously if they prefer one over the other then you take the guy you want.

However it would be due diligence for the oilers to talk to the Bruins about it. One has to look at it as:

Seguin and perhaps the 32nd pick vs Hall. If our goal as has been talked about a few times is to get back up into the 1st round even fairly high to get another blue chipper that draft pick you potentially get from Boston might be pretty valueable.

The Oilers should at least poke around and see what Boston would give up.
From a Terry Jones article:

McGregor, as head scout, makes the final pick.

While there's been the suggestion that this is one year you might want to lose the lottery and select second because the two players are so close that it takes you off the hook, McGregor says he'll be celebrating Tuesday if the Oilers, with their 48.2% odds, win the first pick.

“They are both pretty special guys. And either way having the unbelievable experience our scouting staff has had this year to dig very deep in evaluating these two players is only going to make us better. I'd love to have the opportunity to make that pick.”

McGregor said there's plenty to debate about but McGuire had the right idea about projecting down the road.

“We've all seen players who had great breakout years but don't make the same impact down the road. The difference is what that player is going to become four, five and six years from now.”

Does he know who it would be if he picked today?

“I have a good feeling,” he said.


So if it's Hall they want, and the end up with that pick, there is absolutely no reason to trade it. A 2nd round pick certainly won't be anywhere near convincing enough.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
  #31
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Trading down for a 2nd has not been a good experience for the Oilers.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
  #32
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
From a Terry Jones article:

McGregor, as head scout, makes the final pick.

While there's been the suggestion that this is one year you might want to lose the lottery and select second because the two players are so close that it takes you off the hook, McGregor says he'll be celebrating Tuesday if the Oilers, with their 48.2% odds, win the first pick.

“They are both pretty special guys. And either way having the unbelievable experience our scouting staff has had this year to dig very deep in evaluating these two players is only going to make us better. I'd love to have the opportunity to make that pick.”

McGregor said there's plenty to debate about but McGuire had the right idea about projecting down the road.

“We've all seen players who had great breakout years but don't make the same impact down the road. The difference is what that player is going to become four, five and six years from now.”

Does he know who it would be if he picked today?

“I have a good feeling,” he said.


So if it's Hall they want, and the end up with that pick, there is absolutely no reason to trade it. A 2nd round pick certainly won't be anywhere near convincing enough.
That's a given, if they (Oilers) want Hall then there wouldn't even be a discussion. If they were actually split a 2nd would be enough in my mind, of course you'd ask for Bostons other 1st but I doubt they'd go for it. If the Oilers slightly favoured Seguin then the trade talk would make all the more sense.

These things don't come off very often as the value for changing spots would be contentious but as I've said before I hope the Oilers at least make an inquiry. In the past (the Lowe era) they did not do due diligence on some moves and that is poor management.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
  #33
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 14,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That's a given, if they (Oilers) want Hall then there wouldn't even be a discussion. If they were actually split a 2nd would be enough in my mind, of course you'd ask for Bostons other 1st but I doubt they'd go for it. If the Oilers slightly favoured Seguin then the trade talk would make all the more sense.

These things don't come off very often as the value for changing spots would be contentious but as I've said before I hope the Oilers at least make an inquiry. In the past (the Lowe era) they did not do due diligence on some moves and that is poor management.
Fair enough. I'm curious though how we know that Lowe didn't do "due diligence" on some moves.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.