HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Some crow, please.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
  #26
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no lack of reading comprehension. Dedalus has been cheering for the team to fail for some time now. Again, he's good at concealing his opinions and such so it doesn't look as bad as it is. Either way, the loser attitude of this fanbase is absolutely sickening.

Does the team suck and need a complete overhaul? Absolutely.

Does that mean that we should be happy they missed the playoffs? Not at all.
So the team didn't live up to his own predictions, which means he's been rooting for this team to fail? You're making an awful lot of assumptions.

I said at the beginning of the year that this team was a borderline playoff team. I said at the deadline that we weren't built to compete in the playoffs. Do you seriously think people like me were sitting in their living rooms cheering for the Flyers today, just so we could say "I told you so!" on this message board?

Being realistic about my expectations for a poorly assembled team doesn't make me any less of a fan than anyone else here.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
  #27
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,751
vCash: 500
Good job! Rooting against your team just to be right. Im really proud for you....
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:27 PM
  #28
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because there's a ****ing difference?
Apparently. I've had this argument over and over again, even with GAG, who is well spoken, and I'm still not seeing the difference...

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:27 PM
  #29
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because there's a ****ing difference?
Just a matter of perspective. Long term view vs short term view. I don't mind losing a few games today if it means winning more tomorrow. In the end, none of us are happy. We didn't make the playoffs AND we didn't get a high draft pick.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
  #30
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, but at least you should be able to understand why some of us were so strongly in favor of this team going in that direction. This team was not a SC contender. So if you're not going to win it all, or at least make some noise I truly believe the organization is better served by looking towards the future. And honestly, do you really think that we had any chance of beating the Caps this time around, with a team that arguably has less talent than last year's squad?
Yeah, you're the epitome of HFBoards, and exactly what I was just talking about in my last post.

Do I believe this team would have won the cup? No way in hell.
Do I believe this team could have beaten the Caps? I don't think so, but neither did I last season, and they took them to 7 games. And I watch that game against Philly, and I once again see what great goaltending can do.
Do I believe a top five pick is better than a playoff appearance? Hell no, I want to see my team win, I want to see them in the playoffs. Lottery picks are no guarantee of success, and a playoff experience can be invaluable to young players.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
  #31
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just a matter of perspective. Long term view vs short term view. I don't mind losing a few games today if it means winning more tomorrow. In the end, none of us are happy. We didn't make the playoffs AND we didn't get a high draft pick.
Yup, the worst of both worlds. Good job Rangers! Unreal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:30 PM
  #32
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
We're picking tenth, potentially, what, 8th? Yeah what an awful pick...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:30 PM
  #33
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I can post ambiguously for years and claim the same thing.
And when someone claims to read your mind and TRUE intentions, no matter what you've written? Your response is ...

Tell me something, my friend, if you knew how I was rooting all along, why is it only now that you suddenly have the urge to step forward and claim to know what I was REALLY writing about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You very rarely state an actual opinion so nothing can come back to bite you.
I wonder if you can appreciate the beauty of the irony here. This thread is all about an actually stated opinion and how I was wrong in the assessment I made and maintained throughout the year.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
  #34
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Yeah, you're the epitome of HFBoards, and exactly what I was just talking about in my last post.

Do I believe this team would have won the cup? No way in hell.
Do I believe this team could have beaten the Caps? I don't think so, but neither did I last season, and they took them to 7 games. And I watch that game against Philly, and I once again see what great goaltending can do.
Do I believe a top five pick is better than a playoff appearance? Hell no, I want to see my team win, I want to see them in the playoffs. Lottery picks are no guarantee of success, and a playoff experience can be invaluable to young players.
There are obviously two different viewpoints. But in mine I'd rather have a top 5 pick than get tossed in the first round as a talent barren 8 seed. If last year's team wasn't beating the Caps, then this year's team absolutely wasn't. Did you see the names on the back of the white jerseys during the shootout? Those guys aren't beating AO and company even with Hank playing lights out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
  #35
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm not going to say I told you guys...but looking at this roster at the start of the season I was left wondering where the goals were going to come from. There's simply not much talent on the ice.
Why are you dis'n Captain Intangibles, Man. How much Clutch can a team take.

Iy was clear to me from the beginning of the season that we were built for FAILSeveral hundred posts to prove it. I wish I had been wrong.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
  #36
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just a matter of perspective. Long term view vs short term view. I don't mind losing a few games today if it means winning more tomorrow. In the end, none of us are happy. We didn't make the playoffs AND we didn't get a high draft pick.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a high draft pick. Right now we're slotted to pick 11th, we can move up to the 7th.

We'll have a chance at some really good talent, especially if some falls. I want our medical staff to check out conolly and our scouting department to check out tarsenko. That or Johansen.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM
  #37
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just a matter of perspective. Long term view vs short term view. I don't mind losing a few games today if it means winning more tomorrow. In the end, none of us are happy. We didn't make the playoffs AND we didn't get a high draft pick.
Sure, 9th place isn't nice and if I get the choice between 9th or 15th, I'm gonna choose 15th no doubt.
But there are apparently some posters here who want to get recognition for predicting the team to be so very bad or for being wise-guys saying that being a seller at the deadline would have been so much better.
That's both just against my understanding of being a fan, and/or are completely away from reality (ie a 9th place team being a seller at the deadline)

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
  #38
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Apparently. I've had this argument over and over again, even with GAG, who is well spoken, and I'm still not seeing the difference...
It's really not that hard to understand. I didn't believe we had a good chance of making the playoffs, and if we did, I didn't believe we had a prayer of beating washington.

Like I've said before, if the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs was a 15th vs 12th pick, of course I'm going to root for the playoffs. But the difference this year, before we went on our run, was between a 15th pick and a top 5 pick. IMO, a top 5 pick would have been more valuable to this franchise than making the playoffs, given how bad this team is. It's as simple as that.

You can disagree if you want, but at this point it's all moot. We didn't make the playoffs. We didn't get a top 5 pick. Now all we need is for Sather's contract to get extended and our failure will be complete.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
  #39
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
He's not really saying anything bad. It's not like he's rooting against the team.

Many fans had unreasonably high expectations for this team. Remember the thread where everyone thought this team would have 6-7 20 goal scorers? What about the one where people were predicting that the Rangers would finish ahead of the Devils in the standings?

This team ended up being worse than most anticipated. Reality is finally settling in for some. There were many of us that were bashed on these boards the past few weeks for merely saying "I don't think this team is making the playoffs" or disputing the notion that "anything can happen in the playoffs with a hot goalie like Lundqvist" (turns out having a hot goalie like Lundqvist can't even get you into the playoffs). We were yelled at for being negative when we weren't being negative at all... we were just being realistic.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
  #40
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We're picking tenth, potentially, what, 8th? Yeah what an awful pick...
We're picking 11th unless Anaheim gets a point tonight. Odds of winning the lottery are very slim.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
  #41
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It's really not that hard to understand. I didn't believe we had a good chance of making the playoffs, and if we did, I didn't believe we had a prayer of beating washington.

Like I've said before, if the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs was a 15th vs 12th pick, of course I'm going to root for the playoffs. But the difference this year, before we went on our run, was between a 15th pick and a top 5 pick. IMO, a top 5 pick would have been more valuable to this franchise than making the playoffs, given how bad this team is. It's as simple as that.

You can disagree if you want, but at this point it's all moot. We didn't make the playoffs. We didn't get a top 5 pick. Now all we need is for Sather's contract to get extended and our failure will be complete.
A top 5 pick PLUS a couple of extra second rounders for Vinny and Olli. We would have been primed for a very nice draft with potentially a top 5 pick and 3 second rounders. I really don't understand who could really think a date with the Caps in the first round (with this squad) would be better for the long term success of this franchise. But it's all about money, so Dolan went for the quick payout at the expense of a better team going forward. As a result we get neither short term nor long term benefits.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
  #42
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Sure, 9th place isn't nice and if I get the choice between 9th or 15th, I'm gonna choose 15th no doubt.
But there are apparently some posters here who want to get recognition for predicting the team to be so very bad or for being wise-guys saying that being a seller at the deadline would have been so much better.
That's both just against my understanding of being a fan, and/or are completely away from reality (ie a 9th place team being a seller at the deadline)
No one should be gloating at this point. Our season just ended in the worst way imaginable, no matter which side of the tanking fence you were on.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:40 PM
  #43
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
I too thought they'd make it based on the strength of adding a game breaker and subtracting swine that didn't care like gomez. Unfortunately slats screwed the pooch with signing kotalik over z, and supplementary scoring all season was an issue. that and a defense that relied on a 19 yr old to qb the pp.

however unlike another poster said, i think that next year's team can be better. let ufa's go except for shelley and prospal (if he signs for something reasonable), get something of value for lisin and gilroy if possible and assign brashear to siberia. if someone is willing to take on roszival in trade, god bless them. there are options in FA for solid dmen (michalek, hamhuis) that this team really needs. I'm in the camp that Kovy is a non-starter, but if plekanec can be signed or a trade for ribiero can be consumated (the latter of which i think is more likely) this team will be in a much better position to succeed next year.

As was seen today, a major issue was getting the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining possession. Who was the last person that could do that effectively on this team (and basically the only thing he could do)? Gomez. the irony
Kudos to you for being one of the few that is willing to admit this was a horrible move. There will still be "fans" preferring the rag tag threesome we trotted out for over a skilled scorer. Why wasn't Captain Clutch out there? He could have thrown a couple of "intangible moves" on Boooooosher for the win-

Flame suit on...Blast off!

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
  #44
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It's really not that hard to understand. I didn't believe we had a good chance of making the playoffs, and if we did, I didn't believe we had a prayer of beating washington.

Like I've said before, if the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs was a 15th vs 12th pick, of course I'm going to root for the playoffs. But the difference this year, before we went on our run, was between a 15th pick and a top 5 pick. IMO, a top 5 pick would have been more valuable to this franchise than making the playoffs, given how bad this team is. It's as simple as that.

You can disagree if you want, but at this point it's all moot. We didn't make the playoffs. We didn't get a top 5 pick. Now all we need is for Sather's contract to get extended and our failure will be complete.
No, it's not that hard to understand. I do get where you, and the others, are coming from. It's just ****ing irksome that you feel the need to phrase it as, "I'm not rooting against the team, just for a high pick." To get a high pick you have to lose. Rooting to get a high pick is rooting to lose games. You can call it perspective, long term vs. short term, whatever you want to make it sound like you're not rooting against us, but you are/were. And that's fine, I understand your logic, we've been through it a million times. I just think it's a lousy way to root for a team.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
  #45
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,774
vCash: 500
I promised myself that I wouldn't post for a couple of days since I was one of the "sell" (not tank, but sell) crowd and there's probably very little point in engaging with the "go for it" crowd right now, but I should point something out in the interest of understanding.

Dedelus's thread title means "I was wrong, so I'll have some crow, please."

It does NOT mean "those of you who were wrong, come here and have some crow, please."

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
  #46
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I promised myself that I wouldn't post for a couple of days since I was one of the "sell" (not tank, but sell) crowd and there's probably very little point in engaging with the "go for it" crowd right now, but I should point something out in the interest of understanding.

Dedelus's thread title means "I was wrong, so I'll have some crow, please."

It does NOT mean "those of you who were wrong, come here and have some crow, please."
Those two camps aren't mutually exclusive. I was an advocate of selling at the deadline, and when we didn't, I fell squarely into the "go for it" crowd. Doesn't really matter, just wanted to point out there's some overlap.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
  #47
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No, it's not that hard to understand. I do get where you, and the others, are coming from. It's just ****ing irksome that you feel the need to phrase it as, "I'm not rooting against the team, just for a high pick." To get a high pick you have to lose. Rooting to get a high pick is rooting to lose games. You can call it perspective, long term vs. short term, whatever you want to make it sound like you're not rooting against us, but you are/were. And that's fine, I understand your logic, we've been through it a million times. I just think it's a lousy way to root for a team.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can't watch the team and root against them, but if they had lost a bunch of those games, you can bet I'd be looking at the standings and hoping other teams pass us.

Like I said, it didn't work out for either side, so there's no point in arguing about it now. Who knows, maybe Anaheim wins tonight, we win the lottery and get the 6th overall pick. We could use a little luck right about now.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
  #48
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,313
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can't watch the team and root against them, but if they had lost a bunch of those games, you can bet I'd be looking at the standings and hoping other teams pass us.

Like I said, it didn't work out for either side, so there's no point in arguing about it now. Who knows, maybe Anaheim wins tonight, we win the lottery and get the 6th overall pick. We could use a little luck right about now.
Sorry if I'm acting like an *******. I'm pissed off, like most of us.

I'm not questioning your "fanhood," either, FWIW. I know that everyone here bleeds blue.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
  #49
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Well, I predicted all season long a 6th-8th seed and first round ouster. Turns out the Blueshirts couldn't even manage that miserable standard of mediocrity.

Props to those who fully understood how bad this team was.
I just overestimated the amount of teams that were worse than us.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
  #50
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Dedelus's thread title means "I was wrong, so I'll have some crow, please."

It does NOT mean "those of you who were wrong, come here and have some crow, please."
I thought that was clear from the posting, but if there was any doubt, you're entirely right. What you're saying is exactly what I meant, so thanks for clarifying.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.