HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was this Hank's best season?

View Poll Results: Was this Henrik Lundqvist's best season?
Yes, certainly. 22 32.84%
No, not at all. 19 28.36%
Maybe/Depends. 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Was this Hank's best season?

Just from a straight end-of-the-year stats line, it's hard to say that it was. His GAA (2.38) was not outstanding, and not where it was in 07-08 (2.23, his career-best). His SV%, however, was right where it should be (0.921) and just shy of his career-best in 05-06 (.922, when he only played 53 games).

The most important aspect of his season's performance, though, was his consistency. We'd all come to accept Hank's annual mid-season swoon, and many of us felt that it was the only thing keeping him from being a true top-3 netminder. But this season it wasn't an issue. Witness his monthly stats:

October: 13 g, 2.68, .914
November: 10 g, 2.81, .905
December: 13 g, 1.92, .938
January: 12 g, 2.26, .918
February: 6 g, 2.52, .920
March: 13 g, 2.60, .914
April: 5 g, 1.81, .933

It was actually the first full season of his career where he didn't have one lousy month (GAA over 3, SV% under .900). And given the importance of a goalie's role, I think it's safe to say that consistency is more important than sustained brilliance interspersed with occasional lapses. You can lose even if your goalie plays brilliantly, but you can't win when he's awful (as we know all too well right now).

So yeah, this gets my vote as Hank's best season ever.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
OverTheCap

It's up there.

This is the worst team he's had in front of him. By far the worst defensively.

He's started 73 games, a career high. His save percentage is higher than it normally is, despite facing over 30 shots per game.

I find it hilarious that so many were saying that this is Henrik's worst season. It isn't by a long shot.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:12 PM
jniklast

It probably washis second best. I already thought before the season that Torts system (or any more offensive minded) would actually improve his save percentage, since he gets more shots on goal per game. Last season and every Renney season but the first (which incidently is probably still his best season) they played a more defensive system were fewer shots came through, but much more of those shots were high quality chances.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id actually say it was his worst. Still a great season by a great goalie...but he seemed to give up a lot more softies this year than in any previous years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

I would say so based solely on the fact that this team was the worst defensively that he has ever been on.

Are people really going to argue that Tortorella implemented a defense first system?

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id actually say it was his worst. Still a great season by a great goalie...but he seemed to give up a lot more softies this year than in any previous years.
I think you're dead wrong about that. You seem to have blocked his awful months from years past out of your memory, when he would give up a softie every other game for a 3-week stretch.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:18 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Please give this guy a decent cast, the sky is the limit...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:18 PM
ThirdEye

Had a really similar season to Kiprusoff. Not very good teams playing in front of either of them and both missed the playoffs despite putting up very good stats

I think I would rate it as his best simply because he had to make due with two rookie d-men trying to learn how to play defense for majority of the season. One of whom wasn't even good enough to stay on the team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I think you're dead wrong about that. You seem to have blocked his awful months from year's past out of your memory, when he would give up a softie every other game for a 3-week stretch.
nope, im actually taking that very much into account.

During years past Henrik seemed to sort of allocate all his bad games during 1 small isolated period of time...usually 3ish weeks.

this year it seemed like he had that, AND he had numerous moments during every 5 or 6 games where he gives up a goal that youre all like....what the hell?

like the goal against the Blues late in the season...

My guess is, part of it was his work load coupled with the condensed schedule.

Old
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

In a year with the Olympics, no defense or offense (aside Gaborik) and two rookies on defense?

Old
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
OverTheCap

Looking back on his career, I'd have to say last season was his worst.

15 games where he allowed 4 or more goals. He was also really inconsistent last season... lets in 4 goals, shutout, lets in 5 goals, shutout.

His game-to-game consistency improved this season. 22 consecutive starts where he didn't give up more than 3 goals, and only 3 games in that stretch where he allowed more than 2 goals.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
In a year with the Olympics, no defense or offense (aside Gaborik) and two rookies on defense?
he had worse offensive support last year. with that said the 2 rooks on D hurt a lot. But, like I said, I think he gave up a few more softies this year than in years past. It's like calling out a slightly blemished bumper on a Rolls Royce, but thats what im doing, to be fair.

Henrik was magnificent this year...but i think he was....magnificentier in years past

Old
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

his career Save % now has gone from .917 to .918. Which actually happened after this game.

I think there are maybe 2 goalies tops in the league that have a higher career Save % than Lundqvist.

Hes actually tied with Luongo.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

Yeah. I have to agree with this. He normally never gives up anything easy but this season I saw him let in more softies than he had his entire carreer.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

You could tell that this was probably one of his most frustrating seasons. I think gone are the days when he was content with the team playing well and making the playoffs and just living the NY lifestyle. The guy wants a Cup and you can tell that he can't stand playing in front of a team that half the time comes out like it doesn't give a damn.

Yesterday was an embarrassment. Everyone but the 4th line and the top 3 defensemen should feel embarrassed not only for themselves but for not helping their goalie who was giving everything he had. They all came out playing like crap and did so the whole game. How is that the 4th line did so well no matter who they played against but the rest of the team sucked? It's all about effort. You can care all you want, but if you don't go out there and give everything you've got, then there's an issue. I feel bad for Lundqvist, he doesn't deserve that.

This is his first year not making the playoffs in his career.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Yeah. I have to agree with this. He normally never gives up anything easy but this season I saw him let in more softies than he had his entire carreer.
I dunno. I think the overall number was about the same. The difference though was that in past seasons he gave up all those softies in one month or two where he just absolutely stunk. He then played the rest of the way lights out.
This season I think the softies were more spread out over the year. But he also didn't have this very bad month, he was pretty consistent all season.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Outsider's point of view

I didn't get to watch as many Ranger games this year as I normally do (hey, hockey is hockey right?)

I think his 2007-2008 season was more dominate. Sure, he had a better Save % this year, but he also had 10 shutouts in that aforementioned season. He also did have some crappy goals here and there, more than I'm used to seeing.

Hmm, maybe its closer than I first though. Because that save % (.921) is pretty sick and hard to ignore, but I just didn't get the vibe from him that he was having his best season to date.

One thing, already mentioned it is also my usual knock against him, is that he didn't really have a slump. His worst month was November, where he went 4 and 6. But that was more of a product of the team struggling then it was his fault.

With that being said, 5 years into his career now, I think he's ready to continually have solid/consistent years from now till the end.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:15 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

a) Henrik slumps usually coincide with the severe lack of help...then he get discouraged. ANYONE REMEMBER THE 10 GAMES IN A ROW WHERE HE WAS RAN OVER AND NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT???

b) One of the two rookies ended up to be some great catch! The other will be fine if he puts on a few lbs.

c) We still have Redden and Roszival.

d) Look at Brodeur putting up record numbers while always on his ass...but he had a better year than Hank. Switch starting goalies NYR and NJD...and NJD has a guaranteed Stanley Cup. Guatanteed.

I think Henrik is the best I've seen, and he's HAD to be to keep this team anywhere NEAR playoff TALK.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Worst team he's played behind and most goalie unfriendly system.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Just from a straight end-of-the-year stats line, it's hard to say that it was. His GAA (2.38) was not outstanding, and not where it was in 07-08 (2.23, his career-best). His SV%, however, was right where it should be (0.921) and just shy of his career-best in 05-06 (.922, when he only played 53 games).

The most important aspect of his season's performance, though, was his consistency. We'd all come to accept Hank's annual mid-season swoon, and many of us felt that it was the only thing keeping him from being a true top-3 netminder. But this season it wasn't an issue. Witness his monthly stats:

October: 13 g, 2.68, .914
November: 10 g, 2.81, .905
December: 13 g, 1.92, .938
January: 12 g, 2.26, .918
February: 6 g, 2.52, .920
March: 13 g, 2.60, .914
April: 5 g, 1.81, .933

It was actually the first full season of his career where he didn't have one lousy month (GAA over 3, SV% under .900). And given the importance of a goalie's role, I think it's safe to say that consistency is more important than sustained brilliance interspersed with occasional lapses. You can lose even if your goalie plays brilliantly, but you can't win when he's awful (as we know all too well right now).

So yeah, this gets my vote as Hank's best season ever.
Would have to say that yes, this was Hank's best season todate.

His GAA means nothing in that he faced over 100 more shots this year than last, almost 300 more than he faced in 07-08 while playing in just 1 more game.

His Save Percentage was a phenomonal .921

Playing behind this defence and this group of forwards I would not be surprised if he got yet some more votes for the Vezina (not that he deserves to win). But taking everything into consideration he deserves some consideration.

He earned his money this year for sure.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
mullichicken25

nope, it wasn't

people are terrified of giving the guy criticism

i don't buy the "cast in front of him" argument that much...it plays a role to a degree but it shouldn't really effect his overall ability to stop shots...and the team was right in the middle of the league with Shots against/game

But Im not basing this on stats, just my eyes, and after watching this whole season I'd say he let in more "bad goals" than i can remember in any other season

he has no problem stopping the impossible shots....its the floaters to his glove side that he has trouble keeping up with and thats what blows my mind

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
alkurtz

Great goalie; I have nothing really negative to say about him. But I don't think this was his best season. There were times this year when he seemed to be less focused and gave up some really soft goals. Always seemed to come when the team itself was playing badly. Henrik plays best in meaningful games where he is super motivated. Plays his worst when he seems down on the team and how they support him. Imagine what he would be like playing on an elite team? We wouldn't be having a discussion about Luongo or Miller or whoever.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think the "soft goals" vs. "good goals" argument is pretty weak. At the end of the day, a goal is a goal, they all count the same. At the end of the day, your SV% is what it is, and his was better than ever.

His soft goals didn't cost us anymore games than usual, and he stole the same or more games as usual. I think you can make the argument that it was his best, being that he was largely consistent start to finish.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
This was his worst season.

Prior to this he let in 11 empty net goals in 4 years. This year he let in a whopping 9 (!) empty net goals! Ship him off to hartford!

On a serious note, this is pretty indicative of how much this team sucks at holding onto the puck.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think the "soft goals" vs. "good goals" argument is pretty weak. At the end of the day, a goal is a goal, they all count the same. At the end of the day, your SV% is what it is, and his was better than ever.

His soft goals didn't cost us anymore games than usual, and he stole the same or more games as usual. I think you can make the argument that it was his best, being that he was largely consistent start to finish.
well i guess we disagree in general, and on the bolded

i don't think its bad to want/expect players to play up to thier capacity...i feel similiar frustration towards Dubinksky when he plays a great game and then disapears for a week or two

or when Gaborik shots to the far side of a wide open net and doesn't score

its frustrating to see him let in weak stoppable goals....and this year i feel I saw more of those than in previous years, on a team that desperately needed to see LESS

i feel like a must ad the disclaimer that i think he had a GOOD year, just not his best, and I am not blaming anything on him....so please don't everyone go ballistic on me

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote