HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella stretch-run analysis: Change we can believe in?

Old
04-11-2010, 01:24 AM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
I think Gilroy can play the game at the NHL level. He isn't 100% there yet. Redden is actually more serviceable at this stage of the game because he is a Veteran.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Fletch

personally, I've defended Torts and focused my efforts at Sather, although I've had some pot shots for him because there's a lot he's done with which I don't agree. This stretch run has been interesting. They're playing well and with a sense of urgency. Has he finally taken hold of the team? Have certain young guys, like Staal, begun to "get it" and have benefitted from Sather? Has he changed the culture that existed when he took over last season when the team was in a downward spiral? Did Drury become a real leader, as opposed to a complementary leader as a result of Torts? Or, has the team just decided to finally play and will come up short leaving us all to say, you're only as good as your last name. Definitely tough questions.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Blueblood 2

Tort's is the best coach this team has had since I can't remember. You fill in the blank in my brain. Half the teams do not make the playoffs. He played the kids including two rookies on defense. Nearly zero analysts picked this team to make the playoffs, yet we will finish either in or a point out. We clearly over achieved. The haters need to deal with reality. This team will be much better next season thanks to Torts and Sather sticking with the plan............for once!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Kind of Blue

Jokinen over Gaborik.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Jokinen over Gaborik.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

Yes.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Yeah, because when the season is on the line, that's the same as any other shootout.

And Jokinen is known as a pressure performer.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Jokinen over Gaborik.
and?

Gaborik has been awful in shootouts, Jokinen hasn't been. it's called playing the percentages. I wouldnt have put Gabby there either. I woulda gone with Drury myself, give the captain a chance to come up big, since thats what hes supposed to go.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
and?

Gaborik has been awful in shootouts, Jokinen hasn't been. it's called playing the percentages. I wouldnt have put Gabby there either. I woulda gone with Drury myself, give the captain a chance to come up big, since thats what hes supposed to go.
I disagree, give me our best pure goal scorer in that spot, Jagr wasn't good in shootouts either but he did well when it mattered the most.

If you won't go with Gabby, than go with Prospal or Drury, Joker should have not been in that spot.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
and?

You couldn't watch Jokinen there and not realize the pressure completely got to him. Clearly, this was unlike any other shootout, and the pressure got to him.

Now, should the coach been able to anticipate that would be a problem with that player in that situation? The answer is "yes."

The situation called for not only someone who can pot one in a shootout, but someone who is cool under pressure.

You wanted Drury, that's fine too. But not Jokinen.

Old
04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
You couldn't watch Jokinen there and not realize the pressure completely got to him. Clearly, this was unlike any other shootout, and the pressure got to him.

Now, should the coach been able to anticipate that would be a problem with that player in that situation? The answer is "yes."

The situation called for not only someone who can pot one in a shootout, but someone who is cool under pressure.

You wanted Drury, that's fine too. But not Jokinen.
*shrugs* if thats the way you feel, so be it.

I think its kinda stupid to put the blame of hte entire season on who he chose for a shootout attempt here.

If you wanna criticize him, I would start first and foremost with his incessant line juggling, and for not benching Gilroy sooner. He also should have sat MDZ a few games this season too. Kid needs to feel hungry out there. Though yo ucant do it without a 7th defenseman.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
*shrugs* if thats the way you feel, so be it.

I think its kinda stupid to put the blame of hte entire season on who he chose for a shootout attempt here.
I didn't say that anywhere, man. I was talking about this one particular decision.

Quote:
If you wanna criticize him, I would start first and foremost with his incessant line juggling, and for not benching Gilroy sooner. He also should have sat MDZ a few games this season too. Kid needs to feel hungry out there. Though you cant do it without a 7th defenseman.
I've definitely made those criticisms, among others, over the course of the season.