HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Coaching Discussion Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
jniklast

vCash: 500
I'd prefer a European coach: Bengt-Ake Gustafsson or Ralph Krueger (he was even born in Canada, so why not?)

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Somebody young and works great with young players.

How about former ranger Jeff Jackson?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I don't want a big name coach I want the next Dan Bylsma.
I'm sure it is real hard to come in as a head coach on a team of five top 2 draft picks all of which under 25 years old. It must suck to have Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Gonchar, Orpik, Letang.etc .etc .etc over Lundqvist, Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Zherdev, Rozsival, Mara.etc .etc .etc

Comparing these coaches is simply ridiculous. We brought Tortorella in last year on the Renney sinking ship, and he managed to turn the team around into a playoff spot, and take the Capitals to seven games, in a series we had absolutely no business being in.

Who is to say if Tortorella wasn't on the Penguins, they would be first in the Eastern Conference?

After seeing Renney fired last year, then our struggles this year, something has become very clear.

It wasn't Renney, it isn't Tortorella.

OUR TEAM SUCKS.

Without Lundqvist, we are a bottom three team in the NHL. Last year we had a mediocre defense, atrocious offense. This year, we have an atrocious defense, and somewhere in between atrocious and mediocre offense. Even if Jesus himself coached this team, we would still be mediocre. Our team currently is Henrik and Gaborik, and Gabby had to play hurt during the final stretch.

All is not lost. We have a plethora of prospects (albeit still only prospects) coming up through our system. With the likes of Grachev, Stepan, Kreider, McDonagh, Sanguinetti, Werek, and even guys like Hagelin, Kundratek, Valentenko, at the very least, we have our young supply of role players every cup contender needs. Whether any of these guys (mainly Kreider imo) develops into a superstar is another question. Also, hopefully, this loss of Revenue inspires Dolan to fire Sather, and bring in a competent GM (PLEASE NO MESSIER). I'd be happy with promoting Schoenfeld. We need to do something like this in the offseason.

Don't resign Olli (5.5)
Banish Redden (6.5)
SOMEHOW Get rid of Brashear (Maybe Brashear for an under-35 overpaid player, banish to HFD? Just SOMETHING) (1.4)
Trade Gilroy (I think he is like 1.4-1.5? not exactly sure)
Field Offers for Girardi, if there is a good offer take it, if not, We should be glad to have him back. Say resign him for ~2 yrs @ 2.5m
Resign Staal 6 @ 4m
Resign Prust 1 @ 750k
Bring up Grachev
Bring in Sangs
Bring in cheap UFA Defensiveman (Boullion, Seidenberg.etc)

Now, the one thing we CANNOT do this offseason is sign a guy like Marleau, Plekanec, or (I know I will get blasted for this one) Volchenkov. Volchenkov will likely demand ~5m, and that would be another bad contract that will hurt us in the future. We simply cannot afford 5m for a strictly defensive defensemen. Also, his style of play takes a toll on his body, and the last thing we need is an oft-banged up defenseman making 5m.

IF we make a push for a FA, it has to be Kovy, although I'm not even sure we should. If he demands anything north of 8m (cap hit obv, we don't care if he wants frontloaded deal) wish him the best of luck and walk away. We need a center FAR more than him anyway. Maybe look in the trade market for somebody like Roy, Weiss.etc The last thing we need is to be cap-strapped for the next 10 years. We are NOT one Kovalchuk away from winning the cup. We need to be patient, bring in young developing talent, keep cap space open for when we are close. In a cap era, flexibility is key. In 2-3 years, when Henrik, Gabby, Staal, Del Zotto, Cally, Dubi, Arty are all 2-3 years better, and players like Grachev, Stepan, McDonagh, Kreider.etc are beginning to make their mark, we will be set for a serious cup run. Until then, we need patience.

We have a bright future. This will be a crucial offseason in determining the future outlook of our New York Rangers.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Torts is the reason we are in this position

Ive been a supporter of him for some time and while this season was rough the reason we lost todays game was because of Tortarella and his hypocrisy. What was his motto? Safe is death. Did any one see anything NOT safe about the game today? Its like after we had the one goal lead he wanted to win with just that.

From the start of period two until the midpoint of period three all the Rangers did was dump the puck in, get a line change and have Henrik stop 6 shots in between. He is the one telling the players what kind of system to play, how aggressive to be and so on, therefore this is all on him.

There is nothing that burns my ass more than some one who is a hypocrite and today thats all the coach was.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:18 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Torts is a terrible coach when it comes to adjustments.

Yeah he's a very offensive minded coach and forechecks alot...but memo to Torts you don't have the talent to run and gun.

Instead of also creating the right system he juggles players around to see if they can flow with his style.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Chazenstein

I could possibly see us signing Plekanec, in my opinion he's more of what we need instead of a player like Jokinen.

Chazenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Ive been a supporter of him for some time and while this season was rough the reason we lost todays game was because of Tortarella and his hypocrisy. What was his motto? Safe is death. Did any one see anything NOT safe about the game today? Its like after we had the one goal lead he wanted to win with just that.

From the start of period two until the midpoint of period three all the Rangers did was dump the puck in, get a line change and have Henrik stop 6 shots in between. He is the one telling the players what kind of system to play, how aggressive to be and so on, therefore this is all on him.

There is nothing that burns my ass more than some one who is a hypocrite and today thats all the coach was.
Torts didn't tell the guys to go into a shell. They did that on their own.

It was just like game 7 at D.C. last year. There is a reason it is so much harder to win games with this much at stake on the road than it is to win at home.

We all knew the Flyers were going to be more pumped about playing this one than on Friday night and that, w/o the crowd there to keep the Rangers on edge like they do at MSG this was going to be so much harder. Therefore, the momentum was a ton to overcome.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Torts is a terrible coach when it comes to adjustments.

Yeah he's a very offensive minded coach and forechecks alot...but memo to Torts you don't have the talent to run and gun.

Instead of also creating the right system he juggles players around to see if they can flow with his style.
seriously, this is the post you want to go with? Did you watch...i don't know...ANY of this season? or do you want to stick with catchy phrases that have no basis in reality?

The system was changed probably a month into the season, if not more. We got way less aggressive, defenseman stopped carrying the puck in and joining the rush a ton, and we shifted from an offensive type team, to a counter type team.

I hate it when people make comments like this that have zero basis in reality.

Yes, he juggles his lines, but adjusting is something he's actually been pretty good at. In game, he makes a lot of adjustments, one might say too many adjustments, and too quickly, but Torts is never afraid to change up the flow of the game by changing the style or his combinations.

*sigh*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
drewcon40

I have pretty much resigned to the fact that Tortorella will be back next season. Can he have 2 assistants instead of this 1 assistant coach crap? I think Nick Fotiu would make a great assistant coach. I heard an interview with him recently and he seems to want a coaching job.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
seriously, this is the post you want to go with? Did you watch...i don't know...ANY of this season? or do you want to stick with catchy phrases that have no basis in reality?

The system was changed probably a month into the season, if not more. We got way less aggressive, defenseman stopped carrying the puck in and joining the rush a ton, and we shifted from an offensive type team, to a counter type team.

Yes, he juggles his lines, but adjusting is something he's actually been pretty good at. In game, he makes a lot of adjustments, one might say too many adjustments, and too quickly, but Torts is never afraid to change up the flow of the game by changing the style or his combinations.

*sigh*
How about when you insisted to us last year that the team had more than enough talent to score goals, and that Tom Renney was the one holding them back? Where was the reality in that statement?

You've explained beautifully the trap that EVERY Ranger coach is going to fall into so long as Sather keeps churning out deficient rosters...safe will become the only way to operate.

So, care to amend your statement? Perhaps you just hate comments that have no basis in reality when they dont suit your preferences?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
What was his motto? Safe is death. Did any one see anything NOT safe about the game today?
It really hasn't been that way for a long time.

Giving the 4th line the equivalent of 2nd line ice time was arguably "unsafe".

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I've never liked Torts. Never wanted him. Never would have fired Renney. I've said as much on numerous occasions.

That said, if he's going to get fired, Slats needs to go too. No more fall guys for him.

04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
How about when you insisted to us last year that the team had more than enough talent to score goals, and that Tom Renney was the one holding them back? Where was the reality in that statement?

You've explained beautifully the trap that EVERY Ranger coach is going to fall into so long as Sather keeps churning out deficient rosters...safe will become the only way to operate.

So, care to amend your statement? Perhaps you just hate comments that have no basis in reality when they dont suit your preferences?
I'd love to know the answer to this too. I'd also like to know why Inferno doesn't rip Torts for changing the system after a hot start yet killed Renney for doing the EXACT same thing.

This failure is on Torts and Sather but the roster changes were made for the coach nd his system..
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
TomLaidlaw

How many coaches is one GM allowed over a 10 year span?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
chip chipperson*

Get him out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
lets assume torts is out... who do you want as the next coach?
Tortasmella stinks. I thought i'd like his fire but it turns out he's just a jerk who makes bad decisions. He does not get along with anyone at the garden or anyone in the media. Since getting rid of sather is too much to ask, i'd settle for torts. & i'd rather go down with mctavish or lowe. i'd even give a guy like graves a shot. & call up macarone already, what would be better then macarone with gravy

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It really hasn't been that way for a long time.

Giving the 4th line the equivalent of 2nd line ice time was arguably "unsafe".
And, sadly, he was absolutely correct in doing so.

No way Torts deserves to fired right now.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The average tenure of an NHL coach is shorter that any other major sport. It has a lot to do with the team concept, working together and creating chemistry. Voices get old quickly. I would personally make a change but if Torts' does stay, he will be on a short leash all year. That will give birth to a slew of HF threads calling for his head.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

*sigh*
maybe you are thinking about way back in the season...or you are either in love with Torts's philosophy because what i saw was a team that forechecked way too much and was terribly poor in making in-game adjustments.
If you're talking about marc staal being offensive minded or del zotto bringing the puck up into the offensive zone then i understand him settling back. But Torts still did a terrible job with the forwards he had.

btw you should go back and look up what you said about Renney and then we can talk comments with zero basis in reality

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote