HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
This off-season will be a failure if all of the following don't happen:
  • Redden to Hartford
  • Sather to step down as GM
  • Somebody not named Messier but with actual experience hired as GM
  • Staal re-signed long term with no arbitration problems
  • Prust and Prospal brought back...Shelley would be good if he came cheap too
  • Sign a true top 6 forward
  • Sign a true top pairing dman

What am I forgetting?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:58 PM
jniklast

Bury Redden in the minors.
Don't re-sign Jokinen.
Re-sign Prospal, Christensen, Prust and Shelley and of course Staal and Girardi.
Try to trade Gilroy to trade up in the draft, grab an extra pick or something like that.
If Volchenkov is available for the right price, sign him. Since he most certainly won't be, sign a cheap veteran like Seidenberg, or maybe even Morris.
Ease another couple of rookies into the lineup (Sangs/Sauer/McDonagh and Weise/Grachev/Byers)

And most importantly: Take baby steps next season. Just accept that it will probably be another season of mediocrity. Don't overpay for UFAs that will handcuff the Rangers for years to come.

And then, next offseason in 2011, we can look into really improving the Rangers and starting to build a contender from the pieces we have and a few well-thought-out additions.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Richter35

I posted this in another thread which turned into a pissing contest, its better here ---

I too thought they'd make it based on the strength of adding a game breaker and subtracting swine that didn't care like gomez. Unfortunately slats screwed the pooch with signing kotalik over z, and supplementary scoring all season was an issue. that and a defense that relied on a 19 yr old to qb the pp.

however unlike another poster said, i think that next year's team can be better. let ufa's go except for shelley and prospal (if he signs for something reasonable), get something of value for lisin and gilroy if possible and assign brashear to siberia. if someone is willing to take on roszival in trade, god bless them. there are options in FA for solid dmen (michalek, hamhuis) that this team really needs. I'm in the camp that Kovy is a non-starter, but if plekanec can be signed or a trade for ribiero can be consumated (the latter of which i think is more likely) this team will be in a much better position to succeed next year.

As was seen today, a major issue was getting the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining possession. Who was the last person that could do that effectively on this team (and basically the only thing he could do)? Gomez. the irony

long and short of it---anyone think we should keep gilroy next year? anyone think we can move roszival? the former is easier while the latter is harder yet would free more cap. I'm convinced gilroy is a waste of space but I think theres still some hype surrounding him that we may get something worthwhile in moving him.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
The Rangers were mediocre, added an elite player in Gaborik, and are still mediocre.
Rangers scored 200 goals last year. (28th)

Rangers scored 219 goals this year. (16th)

our offense got better, much better. Our problem this year was our Defense. In particular Michael Del Zotto, Matt Gilroy, and of course, Wade Redden.

Those 3 were anywhere from Awful to Pathetic in the defensive zone. 2 are young, and it shouldn't be a surprise. 1 is Redden, and that shouldnt be a surprise.

Next year, when we get a little older and more experienced we should be better....especially if we can get Redden the eff out of here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
I posted this in another thread which turned into a pissing contest, its better here ---

I too thought they'd make it based on the strength of adding a game breaker and subtracting swine that didn't care like gomez. Unfortunately slats screwed the pooch with signing kotalik over z, and supplementary scoring all season was an issue. that and a defense that relied on a 19 yr old to qb the pp.

however unlike another poster said, i think that next year's team can be better. let ufa's go except for shelley and prospal (if he signs for something reasonable), get something of value for lisin and gilroy if possible and assign brashear to siberia. if someone is willing to take on roszival in trade, god bless them. there are options in FA for solid dmen (michalek, hamhuis) that this team really needs. I'm in the camp that Kovy is a non-starter, but if plekanec can be signed or a trade for ribiero can be consumated (the latter of which i think is more likely) this team will be in a much better position to succeed next year.

As was seen today, a major issue was getting the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining possession. Who was the last person that could do that effectively on this team (and basically the only thing he could do)? Gomez. the irony

long and short of it---anyone think we should keep gilroy next year? anyone think we can move roszival? the former is easier while the latter is harder yet would free more cap. I'm convinced gilroy is a waste of space but I think theres still some hype surrounding him that we may get something worthwhile in moving him.
On the one hand you think this team could be much better nextv year, and on the other hand you desperately want to trade Rozsival?
He still is one of the better dman on this team, and while he might be overpaid a little (I honestly believe 4 million would be a fair price), you don't honestly think Sather will invest that money better in UFAs, do you?
Rozy isn't the problem, it's Redden, and only Redden.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
It's called marginals.

It's the Yankees thing all over again. When you are already elite, adding another elite player will only make you marginally better.

When you are mediocre, adding an elite player will make you substantially better because that's how much room you have to improve.
I agree Kovalchuck would make a huge difference. Teams will have to gameplan to stop two lines instead of one. That will take a ton of pressure off Gaborik too. But I dont know how realistic it will be to sign him. It will be tough to afford him they got to get rid of both Redden and Rozisval. And they will still need to add a defensemen to replace Rozsival, one of the rookies could easily replace Redden.

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuck-Anisimov-Callahan

That would be a huge improvement over our top 6 that finished the season this year. And having Kovalchuck play the point would really improve the powerplay.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
ThisYearsModel

The fact that the #1 line for the last 2 weeks was Anisimov/Shelley/Prust says 2 things. 1. Anisimov contiues to make progress and 2. This team is woefully devoid if talent after its top 5 players.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:10 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
That's pretty much all you need to do.

Let Jokinen walk, find a way to get rid of Redden.

Trade Rozsival if you can get something decent back.

Don't re-sign Girardi.

Sign Volchenkov.
What about Prospal? And who scores the goals? We are insanely in need of talent.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Alright for the time being, **** this Kovalchuk stuff. 11 mil superstar isnt what we need. note;

Sign Volchenkov

should be a priority. Waive Redden after that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Re-sign Staal and Prust. Send Redden to Hartford. Don't re-sign Jokinen. Don't sign any big name unrestricted free agents. This means staying away from Kovalchuk. It's not the time and this is not the team to be adding that type of player. Be smart and have patience. Trxjw is right about this being more than a one year project.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
First piece: Hope Sather gets fired.

Second piece: Hope his replacement has enough sense to realize this team can't be fixed in one summer.
This in a nutshell. Potentially important parts of this team are at least two years away. Other important parts are still developing. Even though I advocate adding Kovalchuk, he only makes this team a 4-6 seed in the East and not a serious Cup contender.

My worry is not giving big money to Kovalchuk, it's overpaying the next tier, which too many people are advocating.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
yankeecpt15

gut feel , but me thinks that either torts or henrik are not back.....and i wouldn't be surprised which one stays

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
GAGLine

Anaheim is winning. If they hold on we get the 10th pick.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:10 PM
TheHotRock

bury redden
forget about jokinen
only bring prospal back on a sweetheart deal
fire tortorella, give slats another year
try to move up in the second or acquire a late first and go for kabanov. don't waste a 10-12 pick on him though.
sign kovalchuk. if this is not possible, kick the tires with jagr, he'd look good with anisimov and vice versa.
trade gilroy, see if you can get something nice for girardi.
try to get a veteran shutdown d man in the 2 mil range.
don't rush to trade rozy, he's useful.
give grachev, weise and sanguinetti every chance to make the team, but make them earn it. we have been graduating prospects every year since the lockout, next year should not be different.
bring back EChrist for under a mil a year, keep the dubi-ec-gabs line together. no need to waste money and years on a center, it is more pertinent to add a winger who can create his own offense (hi, ilya...i'd even take zherdev back, frolov would be nice too)
seriously consider an avery-drury-callahan third line (jam)
bring back prust and shelley.
bring back auld or sign a backup that you would be comfortable giving 20 games to.

that's all i got for now, but please please don' bring back olli and please please fire tortorella.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:14 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Not sure what will happen on O over the off-season. More interesting is the logjam at Defense.

Currently,

Del Zotto
Gilroy
Girardi
Redden
Roszival
Staal

Have to assume that Sanguinetti gets a spot - if he's going to make it in the nhl the push should start next season.

From watching a few of the Wisco games recently, appears as if Mcdonaugh is potentially nhl ready.

Then there's Sauer in the mix, of course health-dependant.

Curious to see how this all plays out.

Personally, I think redden is on the team again next year. Staal and Del Zotto are guaranteed. I think Rozi and either Girardi or Gilroy will be gone.

I don't see room for volchenkov - especially since he'll require a significant deal in terms of years and block our younger guys. Gilroy could be a good piece on draft day to move up; rozi same deal.

I see

Staal Del Zotto
Girardi Redden
Sanguinetti Mcdonaugh

Clears up some good cap space, continues the rebuild, by middle of Gabby's contract the d-core will be solid and locked down, can then worry about making adjustments on O.
We can not go with that, that D corps is worse than this years. Two more rookies? Can't do it, Can't do it to Hank.

I agree with you on not signing Volchenkov, we're just not in position to add another costly FA. I also think at least one of Rozi or Girardi will be traded. I'd rather trade Rozi but Girardi is more appealing to teams (hopefully Chicago for Byfuglien). Gilroy should start next season in Hartford.

I would sign Mara and Sheldon Brookbank, possibly even Strudwick. All are better options than rookies and will be cheap. This team is more than 1-2 yrs away, we need to stop rushing D men, Sangs is the only guy that may be ready, I don't watch HFD so idk.

PS: Fire Torts!

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Cherepanisimov

Next year will be another rebuilding year...

...but they should be able to rebuild while staying competitive. This team should be playoff caliber.

1.) Management: Fire Sather. Now. Hire Messier, Clark, or Gordon. I'd prefer to keep Gordie where he is. He's is doing an absolutely admirable job drafting considering where we have been picking. Gordon is my choice, but I'd be OK with Messier. Also, Fire Tortorella. (I like him but I'd like for a new GM to bring in his own coach that fits his preferred style). Sign another coach with a similar, upbeat style, without the d*uche-baggage.

2.) Draft: Draft Ryan Johansen, Kirill Kabanov in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Sign and trade Girardi at the draft. Sames for Gilroy. Try to pick up a couple of thirds to package for a 2nd and get Straka.

3.) Re-signings: Re-sign Staal (2 years/5M), Prospal (2 years/4.2M), Christ (1 year/1M), Prust (3 years/2.7M), PAP (1 year/800K one-way) Let Jokinen and Eriksson walk. Get them the **** away from this team.

4.) Free Agency: Re-sign Zherdev (2 years/5.5M). Sign Zbynek Michalek, if he gets to free agency. (4 years/15M)

5.) Rookies: Continue to inject youth. (Grachev, Weise, Sanguinetti, McDonagh, Johnson)

6.) Lineup: Rotate the centers and see who sticks with Gabby. I'm not convinced that EC's success with Gabs is going to be a full-time thing.

7.) Player "Management": Ahh, I almost forgot. Kill Redden.

8.) Jesus help us: Get better at hockey. Because this is basically the same group of players.

Prospal-EC/BD/AA-Gaborik
Grachev-EC/BD/AA-Zherdev
Avery-EC/BD/AA-Callahan
Weise-Drury-Prust

Staal-Rozsival
Del Zotto-McDonagh
Sanguinetti-Michalek

Henke
Johnson

Eh?

This leaves us with a solid (mediocre?) lineup for next year, and gives us the oppurtunity to plug in good prospects when they are ready and Avery's, Prospal's, Drury's, and Christensen's contracts expire. (KK, Johansen, Kreider, Stepan, Straka, etc.)

Seems pretty foolproof. Why don't they just name me GM already?

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
...but they should be able to rebuild while staying competitive. This team should be playoff caliber.

1.) Management: Fire Sather. Now. Hire Messier, Clark, or Gordon. I'd prefer to keep Gordie where he is. He's is doing an absolutely admirable job drafting considering where we have been picking. Gordon is my choice, but I'd be OK with Messier. Also, Fire Tortorella. (I like him but I'd like for a new GM to bring in his own coach that fits his preferred style). Sign another coach with a similar, upbeat style, without the d*uche-baggage.

2.) Draft: Draft Ryan Johansen, Kirill Kabanov in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Sign and trade Girardi at the draft. Sames for Gilroy. Try to pick up a couple of thirds to package for a 2nd and get Straka.

3.) Re-signings: Re-sign Staal (2 years/5M), Prospal (2 years/4.2M), Christ (1 year/1M), Prust (3 years/2.7M), PAP (1 year/800K one-way) Let Jokinen and Eriksson walk. Get them the **** away from this team.

4.) Free Agency: Re-sign Zherdev (2 years/5.5M). Sign Zbynek Michalek, if he gets to free agency. (4 years/15M)

5.) Rookies: Continue to inject youth. (Grachev, Weise, Sanguinetti, McDonagh, Johnson)

6.) Lineup: Rotate the centers and see who sticks with Gabby. I'm not convinced that EC's success with Gabs is going to be a full-time thing.

7.) Player "Management": Ahh, I almost forgot. Kill Redden.

8.) Jesus help us: Get better at hockey. Because this is basically the same group of players.

Prospal-EC/BD/AA-Gaborik
Grachev-EC/BD/AA-Zherdev
Avery-EC/BD/AA-Callahan
Weise-Drury-Prust

Staal-Rozsival
Del Zotto-McDonagh
Sanguinetti-Michalek

Henke
Johnson

Eh?

This leaves us with a solid (mediocre?) lineup for next year, and gives us the oppurtunity to plug in good prospects when they are ready and Avery's, Prospal's, Drury's, and Christensen's contracts expire. (KK, Johansen, Kreider, Stepan, Straka, etc.)

Seems pretty foolproof. Why don't they just name me GM already?
I think you're numbers are a little off on the contracts but the general idea is good. i'd love to see one of hamhuis/michalek on this team but I don't see as many rooks making it as you have listed, nor do I see redden in hartford next year. I've yet to see Glen make a big splash on draft day, but this is exactly what we need to happen. We have assets and a fairly high pick to make a move with and grab an impact player whilst shedding some salary.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Out- Slats, Joker, Pappy, Redden, Gilroy, Prospal, Dubinsky, Sauer, Potter, Locke, Heikkinen, Dumont, Shelley and Auld.

In- New GM, Volchenkov, Sangs, Byers, Frolov, Hamhuis, Hedberg or Nitty, and some new blood in Hartford. Not sure which centers are available but we need one of them as well, badly.

In the end the team would be a better defensive team, cheaper, and it's really addition by subtraction with some of these guys. Dubinsky I think can fetch us a nice player, maybe a deal with him and Gilroy could land us someone of worth for our top six.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Out- Slats, Joker, Pappy, Redden, Gilroy, Prospal, Dubinsky, Sauer, Potter, Locke, Heikkinen, Dumont, Shelley and Auld.

In- New GM, Volchenkov, Sangs, Byers, Frolov, Hamhuis, Hedberg or Nitty, and some new blood in Hartford. Not sure which centers are available but we need one of them as well, badly.

In the end the team would be a better defensive team, cheaper, and it's really addition by subtraction with some of these guys. Dubinsky I think can fetch us a nice player, maybe a deal with him and Gilroy could land us someone of worth for our top six.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM
TheHotRock

anyone else out there who would entertain the though of trading for iginla? 3 years @7 mil for a 40 goal guy.

wonder what it would take.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Wow what input you gave there. You made a face to my post. Great points on why you don't think that can or can't happen.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This in a nutshell. Potentially important parts of this team are at least two years away. Other important parts are still developing. Even though I advocate adding Kovalchuk, he only makes this team a 4-6 seed in the East and not a serious Cup contender.

My worry is not giving big money to Kovalchuk, it's overpaying the next tier, which too many people are advocating.
I'm not even sure Kovalchuk will make us a 4-6 seed. There are just too many holes in this team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Fire Sather

Fire Torts

Bury Redden in Hartford. Let the Jokester go. Trade Gilroy for a draft pick. That's 13.5 million in cap space. Sign Volchenkov to a 4 year, 4.75 mil per deal. Sign Plekanec to a 5 year, 4 million deal. Trade Girardi, and have one of Sauer/Sangs/McDonaugh fight for his spot. Re-sign Staal to a 3 year, 3.3 year deal. Sign MZA to a deal averaging 1 mil a year. Re-sign Christensen, Prust, and Shelly to their current deals. Sign Zherdev to a 1 year, 2mil deal.

Christensen-Plekanec-Gaborik
MZA-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Shelley-Anisimov-Prust
Boyle

Volchenkov-Staal
Rozsival-Del Zotto
Rookie-FA

Lundqvist
UFA (Auld?)

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
OverTheCap

There are far too many people who want to start 2 rookies on D AGAIN. I wasn't a fan of it this year, and it shouldn't happen next season too.

If a team is going to have a young defense, they need to have at least 1 or 2 steady veteran defenseman to help mold these players and set a good example. Redden currently isn't good enough to help these players, and I'm not sure if Rozy is the mentoring type. Staal and Girardi aren't old enough to take on the responsibility, and Staal is still developing himself. Can you imagine Del Zotto asking Redden for advice on defense after he's been fumbling around on the ice? Frightening thought.

This team actually needs another veteran defenseman to replace Redden and/or Rozy before they start adding more rookie defenseman to the mix. You need to have defensive stability, starting with your veterans, and not the other way around. I would dump Redden and look to replace him with Volchenkov, or if he's unavailable and they want a more seasoned alternative, I'd consider Kubina or Mitchell as a stopgap if they aren't that expensive.

Bring in one rookie instead of two for next season. Gilroy and Del Zotto still have a ways to go defensively, and trust me, there will still be growing pains for the 2 of them next year. Neither of them can handle the responsibility of being paired with a rookie.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
NYR Viper

The Rangers have some holes to fill(as we all know):

_____-_____-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Drury-______
Prust-Boyle-Shelley

Staal-Rozsival
Girardi-MDZ
_____-______

Hank
______

I say let Jokinen, Prospal, PAP and Eriksson walk.

Trade/demote Giroy, Voros and Redden.

Trade 2nd '11 + 3rd '11 + Sauer for Versteeg.

Sign Kovalchuk, Nittymaki and Michalek.

Promote one of Weise or Byers and Sanguinetti or McDonagh.

Lines:

Versteeg-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Callahan
Weise-Drury-Avery
Prust-Boyle-Shelley

Staal-Girardi(Shut-down pairing)
Michalek-Rozsival
MDZ-McDoangh/Sanguinetti

Hank
Nittymaki

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote