Notices

Nick Schultz appreciation thread

Old
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Or learn where Zanon gets his steel bones?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Haha! I figured someone would put this photo up lol

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Excellent in our own zone, but he lacks serious offensive skills and his passes are a little off target.
Really? See, I would consider the accuracy of his passes to be one of his greatest assets. His clearing passes are amongst the best in the NHL, which is perhaps the biggest reason he has represented Canada four times at international tournaments.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Really? See, I would consider the accuracy of his passes to be one of his greatest assets. His clearing passes are amongst the best in the NHL, which is perhaps the biggest reason he has represented Canada four times at international tournaments.
Actually Lemaire played him with Johnsson because Schultz has poor puck skills and Johnsson moves the puck extremely well.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
He would be like the fifth best clearer of the puck on the team. He typically was playing with Burns, Johnnson and a few other d partners because he had clearing issues. This was the first year that he was really playing as the lead dman on his line. He is great clearing on the PK though...

Old
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Burns and Zannon are the two defensemen I'd have issues trading. Burns because his game made huge strides over the last month of the season. Zannon because his play vs. cap hit is a tremendous value.

Zidlicky can't be traded for a year and a half, but he, Barker and Schultz are "meh." I wouldn't mind having them but I wouldn't miss them either. Barker needs to be paired with a solid 2-way defenseman, Zidlicky needs a solid defender, and Schultz badly needs a good puck moving linemate.

If somebody is traded I'd prefer Schultz because Barker is cheaper & has a shorter contract length. Barker also still has a chance to improve through development while Schultz basically is what he is.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

you guys are nuts.

all the negativity in this town sucks.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
mnwildgophers

It's hard to be optimistic when you finish 13th in the conference and your prospect pool is rated 30th out of 30 teams.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
It's hard to be optimistic when you finish 13th in the conference and your prospect pool is rated 30th out of 30 teams.

Rome wasn't built in a day my boy.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Once again, at least they aren't the Timberwolves who have essentially two good players (both of whom play the same position). Oh and Ricky Rubio in two years...

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:54 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Once again, at least they aren't the Timberwolves who have essentially two good players (both of whom play the same position). Oh and Ricky Rubio in two years...
Yes, I know I need to be patient and it's nice to see us going a different direction in terms of scouting and development hopefully. We need to draft well, trade well, and coach well. I think Richards will be a good coach, and he could lead us into the promised land. I just want to be excited about next year, and I think that we will be when Fletch gets done at the draft and FA. I think we all believe that Fletch will make a difference.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:54 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Rome wasn't built in a day my boy.
i think ive seen you at my store before, i work for verizon in apple valley.

you look familiar.

weird.

anyways about your quote, i dont see our team ever being of rome quality.

but we sure did have the issues of rome in the risebrough organization

hahahaha

Also totally irrelevant, Boogaard was rated number 1 in tough guys with 44% of all votes in Sports illustrated 10 toughest of NHL. So thats pretty cool. Number 2? Colton Orr with 22% of votes.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
you guys are nuts.

There are like 2 people on here who are Mr. Negative. However, there is nothing absolutely wrong with constructive criticism of the organization and what steps those who are the loyal fans have either assessed or read about that brings up a good debate.

Plus its the offseason for us now so we need something to talk about

Old
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
you guys are nuts.

I agree.

I know what the guy puts into the team, how much pain he goes through, and how loyal he is to the Wild. He had a chance to take more money somewhere else when he was about to become a UFA, but because he loved the community, he took less to stay (which no one does anymore). But he's overpaid according to the experts on here.

He's probably the most solid player the franchise has had, and all people can say is that he has poor puck-handling skills (hilarous, since that is one of the best aspects of his game). The guy has never complained about the fact that he was an offensive player all of his life, but was turned into a stay-at-home guy exclusively by Lemaire. Instead, he thanks Lemaire for making him a better defensive hockey player, which gets scoffed at on here.

No loyalty whatsoever.

Good to know - thanks guys.

Old
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I agree.

I know what the guy puts into the team, how much pain he goes through, and how loyal he is to the Wild. He had a chance to take more money somewhere else when he was about to become a UFA, but because he loved the community, he took less to stay (which no one does anymore). But he's overpaid according to the experts on here.

He's probably the most solid player the franchise has had, and all people can say is that he has poor puck-handling skills (hilarous, since that is one of the best aspects of his game). The guy has never complained about the fact that he was an offensive player all of his life, but was turned into a stay-at-home guy exclusively by Lemaire. Instead, he thanks Lemaire for making him a better defensive hockey player, which gets scoffed at on here.

No loyalty whatsoever.

Well, at least you came in here with an open mind. Obviously weren't open to a discussion about a player that we have seen for 82ish games a year for the past 8 or so years. I'd be interested to hear about which teams were gonna give him over $3.5 million a year, and what year that would've occurred in.

We don't consider him a poor man's Ray Bourque, but I would think that the majority of MN fans would be OK with me saying that he is a solid, unspectacular 2-pairing D.

Like EVERY hockey player, he does things well and he has flaws in his game. I'm not sure how recognizing those flaws is considered disloyal.

When did you guys meet anyway?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I agree.

No loyalty whatsoever.

Hey as long as you feel the same way about Jordan Leopold, Keith Ballard, Paul Martin, Thomas Vanek, Phil Kessel and Blake Wheeler we're cool.

Also wondering why there's no love for Boogaard and Harding?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-22-2010, 02:35 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'd be interested to hear about which teams were gonna give him over $3.5 million a year, and what year that would've occurred in.
Nearly every team in the league in any given year that needed a mobile, reliable defender.

The Wild cannot go out and sign another mid-20s Nick Schultz to a better contract. All we need to do is to sit back and watch Dan Hamhuis confirm that on July 1st.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 04:17 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I agree.

No loyalty whatsoever.

lol at other fans from teams coming into OUR board to explain how "we got it all wrong and should be grateful." Weren't you the team last year that wanted to trade away their #1 center because he wasn't "meshing anymore with Heater and Alfie?" Talk about loyalty to your players.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Kings fan here and Schultz is and has always been one of my favorite under rated stay at home guys in the entire league.

I can't see us being good trade partners but Schultz would be welcomed as our 5-6 guy and with his experience he would bring allot to us right now.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Oh, and I could see him easily getting in the high $3's for a couple of years. I could see us giving it to him but that's just me.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Oh, and I could see him easily getting in the high $3's for a couple of years. I could see us giving it to him but that's just me.
He's already getting $3.5 million for the next four years.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I was responding to Dr Janitor's statement, should have quoted him but think that its sort of a pain in the tail. So yes, he is getting less this year and at least for the next two than what I would think he would be worth to the Kings.

I think you guys have him locked up at fair market value and that he will and should retire as a Wild, the guys a keeper.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I was responding to Dr Janitor's statement, should have quoted him but think that its sort of a pain in the tail. So yes, he is getting less this year and at least for the next two than what I would think he would be worth to the Kings.

I think you guys have him locked up at fair market value and that he will and should retire as a Wild, the guys a keeper.

Just going off of the rest of this thread.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Wildlife

For what Schultz brings I think his contract's pretty decent. Not the best contract or anything crazy like that, but I feel his game warrant's that salary.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
lol at other fans from teams coming into OUR board to explain how "we got it all wrong and should be grateful." Weren't you the team last year that wanted to trade away their #1 center because he wasn't "meshing anymore with Heater and Alfie?" Talk about loyalty to your players.
I have no idea why you think I am a Sens fan. I like the Wild, and I'm guessing I have watched more of their games than you have.

I talk about loyalty because I think it is the number one thing missing in today's game. Look at the Capitals - they lost because there is no "us" on that team. A bunch of "me" guys.

Nick is an "us" guy, and while maybe not the flashiest player in the NHL, he's a decent guy and a solid member of the community, not to mention a very good player who never complains or makes headlines for the wrong reasons.

It would be nice to see people in MN show a little appreciation for that. That's all.