HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Sather is an old head & needs to go.

Targets: Aasen or Zherdev, Plekanec, Jagr, and Volchenkov.

If you can, trade Girardi and a lil something for a top 6 scorer.

Resign Prust, Shelley, Christensen. Let Jokinen walk.

Must send Redden to Hartford.

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Aasen/Zherdev-Plekanec-Jagr
Christensen-Drury-Callahan
Avery/Shelley-Anisimov-Prust

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Del Zotto
Volchenkov-?????

Lundqvist
Auld

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
In The Flesh

Here's my lineup

Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Byfuglien AA Zherdev
Avery Drury Cally
Shelley Prust
Byers, Voros

Staal Rozi
DZ Mara
Sangs Brookbank

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Del Zotto
Volchenkov-?????

Lundqvist
Auld
Do you really think bringing Jagr back now is the answer? And Zherdev? Time to move forward.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Del Zotto
Volchenkov-?????

Lundqvist
Auld
Volchenkov, Jagr, Zherdev, and Plekanec.

Youre looking at 18 million right there pal. Not happening. Maybe two of them, if Redden gets gone.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do you really think bringing Jagr back now is the answer? And Zherdev? Time to move forward.
jagr is perfect imo. we need a stopgap winger who will put up numbers and will not be asking for more than 2 years. our prospects aren't ready to really contribute and we don't need to be handing out multi year deals unless its to a guy like kovalchuk. i'd gladly take the dub-ec-gabs line and stick jagr with anisimov next season.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:04 PM
17futurecap

How long would it take before Jagr would want to punch Torts in the face?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
How long would it take before Jagr would want to punch Torts in the face?
I would think about 5 minutes into training camp. You think Jagr would want to go through all that? Hell no.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Dubinsky Christensen Gaborik
Byfuglien AA Zherdev
Avery Drury Cally
Shelley Prust
Byers, Voros

Staal Rozi
DZ Mara
Sangs Brookbank
And 9th place here we come again. It's the same damn team almost. Oh ya Byfuglien and Zherdev are the answers! There are so many things wrong with this lineup I don't know where to begin.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

If we're going with what we'd love to see I guess I'll contribute...

Prospal - Plekanec - Gaborik
MZA - Dubinsky - Callahan
Avery - Anisimov - Byfuglien
Shelley/Byers - Drury - Boyle/Weise

Staal - Rozy
DZ - Volchenkov
Girardi - Sangs

I think this team could crack top 6 in the East.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:13 PM
mucker*

Who knows.

Backstrom+Plekanac+Kovalchuk+Volchanov!

Seriously...I dunno if this team should go after a big name...or not...and do what.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Volchenkov, Jagr, Zherdev, and Plekanec.

Youre looking at 18 million right there pal. Not happening. Maybe two of them, if Redden gets gone.
Pal, I'm fully aware of that. Nobody said we can get all of them, nor will we. However, stranger things have happened.

Old
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You're right. Zherdev isn't the answer. Kotalik is.

Jagr isn't the answer, Gomez was.

Oh wait...

Old
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Dubinsky I think can fetch us a nice player, maybe a deal with him and Gilroy could land us someone of worth for our top six.
You mean like...Dubinsky?

Is he, currently our best center, not good enough for you? This kid keeps getting better, I don't know why you'd want to trade him at this point.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post

Is he, currently our best center, not good enough for you? This kid keeps getting better, I don't know why you'd want to trade him at this point.
He's getting better, TRADE HIM BRAAAH!

Old
04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He's getting better, TRADE HIM BRAAAH!
Yeah, we better trade him before he loses value. Quick Slats, get on the phones!!!

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers have 30 contracts for next season.

12 group II's

Staal,Girardi,Prust,Christensen,Lisin,Crowder,Heik kinen,Sauer,Byers,Valentenko,Dupont and Ambuhl

8 group III's

Jokinen,Prospal,Shelley,Parenteau,Auld,Eriksson,Ne wbury and Valley.

3 group 6's

Potter,Locke and Zaba

4 arbitration eligible players-Girardi,Christensen,Prust and Lisin.

#1 priority should be clear as much cap space as possible.

Waiving Redden can't happen for another 6 months. He will count against the cap this summer when teams are allowed to exceed the cap by 10%. $57.7 million cap. $63.47 million.

Put Rozsival on the block. $4 million in salary for next season and $3 million in 11-12. Atlanta looking to replace Pavel Kubina and Carolina looking for a vet besides Tim Gleason and Joni Pitkanen. $5 million cap hit is too much.

#1 center?Brad Richards might be available if the Stars are unable to sign him to an extension. For what?Richards carries a $7.8 million cap hit for next season and could be a group III next summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
gotmonte

Christianson was a waiver wire pickup and a damned good one. Lock him up. He is turning his career around.

Resign Prust (nothing too much though. In the end, he IS still JUST an enforcer)
Resign Shelley (dunno his contract status, but lets get him on the team at a reasonable price, like Prust)
Trade Roszival. Even though he is our 3rd guy, I am tired of everyone screaming for his head so I think now would be a good time to trade him and get something in return
Bury Reddin (the guy is just ****)
Trade Lundy (I dont care WHAT you say. I can get a guy in goal who lets in 3-4 goals A GAME with ease. He is amazing and then he sucks. I see goalies like that ALL the time. I dont care if you love him. I love him too. But a huge overpayment a team with give us and I for one (and dont care if I am the ONLY one) would except. Teams have won with Osgood in net for crying out loud, we dont need God. But God is a hellova trading chip now isnt he?
Fire Sather
DO NOT PUT MESSIER IN ANY POSITION OTHER THAN SPECIAL ASSISTANT WITH NO REAl Way OF MESSING UP
FIRE TORTS MAYBE! I like him. I just hate his line juggling soo much
(though you do got to give it to him for forming that fourth line. Loving it!)

Thats the stuff I would do.

I dont care what you think or say about me and my thoughts. They are my own and I am big enough man to stand behind my words.

JUST LIKE WHEN I SAID TO TANK THE REST OF THE SEASON AND ALL YOU "DIE-HARD" RANGER FANS BLASTED ME FOR SAYING IT. Riiiiight, look at us now. OUT of the Playoffs and NO SHOT IN HELL getting 1-5 pick. Good job there knuckleheads.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
And 9th place here we come again. It's the same damn team almost. Oh ya Byfuglien and Zherdev are the answers! There are so many things wrong with this lineup I don't know where to begin.
One offseason and you think we're going to be legit contenders? Hello to the last decade, how'd that work out? Same **** with the Rangers, same **** with their fans. Did you see LA, Chicago, Pitts signing more and more FAs every offseason they finished 9th, 10th, 13th, etc? This team is 3+ years away at LEAST. This team needs to build heart, chemisty, it takes more than one season. Everything this franchise accomplished after the lockout is gone. Half the Rangers fan base thinks just like the management. Baby steps bro, baby steps.

Byfuglien and Zherdev are the answers? There are no answers. Buff is a beast and probably the best we're gonna get for Girardi. He's huge and versitle. Remember him burning us from his blueline in OT to win it? We could use that. And I hated Z last year, but he's really our only option for offense. Z has sick skills, his heart sucks at times, but we have to take what we can get right now.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:

No, because no team would trade a player like Dubi, you could maybe get a Cogliano or a Mueller, some softy.

Dubinsky is exactly the type of guy all of us were dying to have for years. He bleeds blue, plays with passion and heart, he's got future cpt. written all over him. He's ours. And how old is this kid, 22? Man, sometimes I wonder if any of these folks watched the 2000 season, or the 2001 season, or the 2002 season, on and on it went. Trade Dubinsky? Must be out your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellower View Post
Who knows.

Backstrom+Plekanac+Kovalchuk+Volchanov!

Seriously...I dunno if this team should go after a big name...or not...and do what.
most of our big name free agent signings have really worked out, so I would say YES, lets have another go around.

Last edited by In The Flesh: 04-11-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We dont need to make a thousand trades of our successful projects to win. Keep the pieces that have panned out. Waive the unsuccessful UFA (Redden).

Use UFA only when top pairing/top line players are available (Not Marleau, Drury, ect. )

And fill the rest with more players from our system. Recipe for success.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Radek27

Quote:

He's a 3rd liner like half this team. He's had a 3 point increase for gods sake, not no breakout season. Maybe just maybe 3 straight 40 point seasons is a sign of thats what he is? You don't even know who would be coming back in a trade to be talking like that. There are plenty of players in the NHL I would trade Brandon Dubinsky for.

Sorry I went outside the normal HF thinking of just sending Redden down and letting Olli walk. I think it needs to be more than just that.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
One offseason and you think we're going to be legit contenders? Hello to the last decade, how'd that work out? Same **** with the Rangers, same **** with their fans. Did you see LA, Chicago, Pitts signing more and more FAs every offseason they finished 9th, 10th, 13th, etc? This team is 3+ years away at LEAST. This team needs to build heart, chemisty, it takes more than one season. Everything this franchise accomplished after the lockout is gone. Half the Rangers fan base thinks just like the management. Baby steps bro, baby steps.

Byfuglien and Zherdev are the answers? There are no answers. Buff is a beast and probably the best we're gonna get for Girardi. He's huge and versitle. Remember him burning us from his blueline in OT to win it? We could use that. And I hated Z last year, but he's really our only option for offense. Z has sick skills, his heart sucks at times, but we have to take what we can get right now.
What the heck are you talking about? Those teams stunk for long periods of time and had hi draft choices to get prime young talent. Not finish 9th or 7th in thier conference with a mid pick ever summer. When will you realize the Rangers will never be built like this, the chance was there half a decade ago and we didn't even do it then. Even when we stunk just enough to draft in the top 8 we screw it up and take Montoya.

Why is Zherdev our only option for offense? How do you know what options will open up over a long offseason? You don't and neither do I, but if i'm a betting man I think there will be something as good if not better than the return of Zherdev, Jagr as well.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
He's a 3rd liner like half this team. He's had a 3 point increase for gods sake, not no breakout season. Maybe just maybe 3 straight 40 point seasons is a sign of thats what he is? You don't even know who would be coming back in a trade to be talking like that. There are plenty of players in the NHL I would trade Brandon Dubinsky for.
Sorry I went outside the normal HF thinking of just sending Redden down and letting Olli walk. I think it needs to be more than just that.
Umm, yea, most of us agree on that, but you have to have two to tango.

It takes more than one season. Ridding the crap is a huge step in the right direction. We rid ourselves of Higgins and Kotalik this season, about the only positive thing this franchise did. And it all could have been avoided just months prior.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Those teams stunk for long periods of time and had hi draft choices to get prime young talent. Not finish 9th or 7th in thier conference with a mid pick ever summer. When will you realize the Rangers will never be built like this, the chance was there half a decade ago and we didn't even do it then. Even when we stunk just enough to draft in the top 8 we screw it up and take Montoya.

Why is Zherdev our only option for offense? How do you know what options will open up over a long offseason? You don't and neither do I, but if i'm a betting man I think there will be something as good if not better than the return of Zherdev, Jagr as well.
So have we.

My point is, Free Agent signings are not the answer to making this team better, and they never will be.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Most of this thread

Trade Lundqvist? That's silly. Great goaltenders win championships and if we can put a decent team around him, Lundqvist will for us. He earns his paycheck and is the guy we absolutely build around.

I don't know why anyone would want to trade Dubinsky, either. He scored 20 goals this year, he would of gotten 50 points if he was healthy all year, and he's good on defense. Is he a first liner? No. He could develop into one but, even if he doesn't, he's still a real strong second liner. Obviously, if we get something good back, I'd consider it but you can't really count on that if we're the ones pursuing the trade. Shopping him isn't the best idea.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote