HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Cole still the best

Old
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
SkateSave

vCash: 500
Yeah, obviously Bob Cole is a couple steps behind and off the reality of the play, but he is miles ahead of any commentator in terms of expressing the excitement of the game through his voice and diction.

The point isn't to simply tell you what is happening, you can see for yourself, or to give you more insight to whats going on, that's the colour guy's job. The point is to give the game a narrative background, so you aren't just watching 2 teams playing a hockey, but a story of 2 teams playing hockey. Cole is able to be dramatic without being contrived, when you hear him you can tell he is authentically excited about the game, and its ebbs and flows are reflected through him.

Guys like Hughson are ok, but it just seem that they want to be objective as impossible, when the object is to be impartial. It seems to me they are interested in a game technically but not involved emotionally. There's a difference to being excited by a hit, a save or a goal and raising your voice momentarily, and being excited by a change of momentum and have your voice reflect that through the rest of the period or whatever.

SkateSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:24 PM
rhodes82

greg millen is gooder

rhodes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
The Big Swede

Just give me anything but Hughson and ill listen to the game

Cole is senile but still have the best voice

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Rizzy13

jim hughston and craig simpson are the biggest idiot commentators ever... they dont shut up and they just keep criticizing... its annoying as hell

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:48 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

I miss the days of listening to him call the playoff games, then listening to Bowen's highlights on 640. It's been way too long!

The Naz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:45 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Hughston and Simpson is such a horrible combination. If we can't have Cole/Neale, Bowen blows them both away. Simpson in particular. Dear god get this guy off the air he never shuts up and you know the worst part? he says nothing interesting. just glosses over the obvious.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

I also miss Bob Cole. Guy can make the most mundane plays exciting. Sure, at times you wouldn't really know what was going on if you were just listening to the play-by-play, but Cole can really pump up games. I find every game he calls exciting. Bring him back to the Leafs please. It just doesn't feel the same without him.

Also, not a Millen fan.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:34 AM
peicurler91

What did he mean when he said the Leafs winning was "Poetic Justice"? Habs are in the playoffs not the Leafs.

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peicurler91 View Post
What did he mean when he said the Leafs winning was "Poetic Justice"? Habs are in the playoffs not the Leafs.
Read through the thread. Constant Scab fans have come by and tried to flame bait what he meant by poetic justice and everytime it's been explained.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know what games he'll be calling the playoffs? I'd imagine either the Habs or Sens series? Possibly both?

edit: I don't know who it is that calls the West Coast games with Kevin Weekes but that combination is brutal. Who the **** thought Weekes was a good choice? He has about three catchphrases that he recycles - most notably "that was a laser by (insert name)."

080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
peicurler91

I can't stand Pierre Mcguire. He states the obvious way too much. Like in the Habs vs Canes game with a minute left and it was 5-2 Canes he was like "Looks like the Habs will lose tonight," Lol really? It's 5-2 with a minute left

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I really like Bob Cole and think he has the best voice in hockey...

Last night he had an okay game, but there were several parts where my buddies and I had to laugh. Just before the drop of the puck before one faceoff he was like "and the ref is holding the puck!".... well, no **** sherlock lol.

Another part..."And montreal makes the playoffs by an eyelash!".... er, why not a hair? lol.

Just thought it was funny, thats all.

You find humor in weird things, plus I've heard a lot dumber things come out the mouth of Hughson and Chris Cuthbert (whose voice could double for the Seinfeld episode where they couldn't decipher if it was the woman talking or her boyfriend since they were both so feminine).

Was great to hear Bob Cole again,

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
BudForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Foster Hewitt.
lol. I was reading on and I thought it was interesting no one brought up Foster Hewitt. Probably an age thing. I love Bob Cole, but Foster Hewitt was the best. Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan and Bob Cole, in that order.

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post
lol. I was reading on and I thought it was interesting no one brought up Foster Hewitt. Probably an age thing. I love Bob Cole, but Foster Hewitt was the best. Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan and Bob Cole, in that order.
You have to add Bill Hewitt, son of Foster, in there. He was great. I grew up listening to him call the Leafs games on Saturday nights. He preceded Bob Cole. Gallivan and Dick Irvin calling the Habs games were also awesome to listen to.

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Shadyone33

My favorite call was the 2001 playoffs when Joe Sakic scored in game 7 of the finals. Jyooo Sakic!!!!!!!

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote