HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Guess Gabby would have gone fourth in SO.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:11 AM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
Guess Gabby would have gone fourth in SO.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...2L94j9vlKQMBPI

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:15 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'm alright with that, what I don't understand is why was the joker 3rd? That made no sense to me.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:18 AM
AJRanger

I'd have used Drury or Dubi before Jokernen. I don't care that his SO record's pretty solid, the guy's been an immense failure since he got here and there's absolutely no reason to believe he'd score when entrusted with our season - hell, that shot probably wasn't even going in had Boucher not stopped it.

I'm alright with Gabby at four though, it's Olli at three that baffles.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:20 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Don't really care that Gaby didn't go in the shootout. I wouldn't have used him either. He is not great at shootouts and has said it himself.

My only problem was going with Oli as 3rd shooter.

And FWIW, this team played with no desperation at all. The only line that even showed up was the "Fourth Line".

Pretty pathetic for a team that had to win.

They can all go hone in on their golf skills.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:34 AM
HAPPY HOUR

If that mystical trade for Stamkos would have "went down", then there is your 3 in the SO.

Prob #2 for what its not worth.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:37 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Prospal or Drury should have taken that 3rd shot.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Gaborik sucks in the shootout, so he shouldn't have gone. We had a billion page thread about how to structure a shootout earlier this season, and I think we reached the consensus that even if Gaborik is your best player, you don't put him in the top three...because he's terrible in SO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I'm alright with that, what I don't understand is why was the joker 3rd? That made no sense to me.
It's probably not fair to second guess it

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Myself, a few friends, and a few here are saying Drury should've taken the third.
Just share that same hunch, or might there have been some truth to having someone with the word "clutch" associated with their name take the shot?

EVERYONE craps on the Jokinen decision.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:22 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I would have gone with Prospal or Drury, but that's just me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If Gaborik had gone and missed people would have complained about how bad a shooter he is and why he was picked.

Torts clearly checked the stat sheet before the game and took the highest percentage shooters. We gave it our best and came up short. Let it go.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
DrAStuart

Yeah, it is kind of funny that the last shoot-out that we won was won without Gaborik (the one where EC's goal was waived off and then confirmed on video replay)....I don't remember anyone yelling "where was Gabby?" that night.....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If Gaborik had gone and missed people would have complained about how bad a shooter he is and why he was picked.

Torts clearly checked the stat sheet before the game and took the highest percentage shooters. We gave it our best and came up short. Let it go.
Im not pissed that Gaborik didnt go, Im pissed that Jokinen did. His tenure here was an immense failure, and to allow him to have the season on his stick was a slap in the face to the guy that worked hard all year to get us to this point.

Its just another example of John Tortorella trying to force his fingerprints onto a game...to be bigger than the game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whatever. The fact that the Rangers lost out on the playoffs has nothing to do with the shootout order. It goes leagues deeper than that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not pissed that Gaborik didnt go, Im pissed that Jokinen did. His tenure here was an immense failure, and to allow him to have the season on his stick was a slap in the face to the guy that worked hard all year to get us to this point.

Its just another example of John Tortorella trying to force his fingerprints onto a game...to be bigger than the game.
I actually thought it was immensely appropriate. Now Jokinen is gone, gone, gone.

And no, Torts took the three highest percentage shooters, that all there is to this story.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

I understand the sentiment, but Jokinen is great in shootouts.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Torts played the %.... can't really blame the coach for that.

Although I would have went with Drury for his intangibility in the do or die shootout

Christ
PA
Drury

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Guys, Gabs has been horrible in the SO. He's been very unsuccessful in SOs since 2005... He had 5 chances this season and converted on 1.

Drury was a decent pick for the skills-competition during 08-09. He didn't get a chance this year. I would have liked to see either Dru, Vinny, AA or Dubi before Joke.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I actually thought it was immensely appropriate. Now Jokinen is gone, gone, gone.

And no, Torts took the three highest percentage shooters, that all there is to this story.
Thats just it. We all know this team has personnel problems that run extraordinarily deep. But Tortorella is a walking contradiction nearly every time his team takes the ice. This entire season has been one big contradiction when it comes to nearly every facet of the team from accountability to their style of play.

Where was the coach that prides himself on his ability to pick up on the flow of the game??? Jokinen was horrible yesterday, and he was horrible for about 90% of his time here. Why did the coach decide to "play the percentages" when thats not something hes done his entire time here???

A mid-season waiver wire pickup, a minor leaguer who had an epicly horrible game yesterday, and a trade acquistion bust were his choices with the season on the line yesterday. When you look at the situation in regards to the empty words he preaches and his style over the last year+, it becomes even more ridiculous.

Like I said, more than anything, its a slap in the face to guys like Prospal, Anisimov, and Dubinsky who each have given more blood, sweat, and tears to this team than the other 3 guys combined.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Bleed, the shootout is a skill/chance thing. No amount of hard work or effort can alter your chances.

Ryan Callahan doesnt do shootout, Drury doesnt do shootouts.

You can argue against the institution but the player choices were the correct ones.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Bleed, the shootout is a skill/chance thing. No amount of hard work or effort can alter your chances.

Ryan Callahan doesnt do shootout, Drury doesnt do shootouts.

You can argue against the institution but the player choices were the correct ones.
As Im trying to point out, if the "playing the percentages" attitude is what Tortorella exhibited all season, I'd be fine with what went down.

He has a nasty habit of trying to keep everyone guessing and that was on display again yesterday when the season died.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
ecemleafs

im fine with the players picked. went with players that gave us the best chance to score. just didnt work out this time.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Like I said, more than anything, its a slap in the face to guys like Prospal, Anisimov, and Dubinsky who each have given more blood, sweat, and tears to this team than the other 3 guys combined.
Prust & Shelley have been about as dangerous as any players on this team the last few games. Why aren't you griping about them not having an opportunity in the shootout?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
LamoTheKid

Aaaaaand here we go with the wouldves, shouldves and couldves. this is going to be a long offseason...

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Prust & Shelley have been about as dangerous as any players on this team the last few games. Why aren't you griping about them not having an opportunity in the shootout?
I dont want to list other players....that way, you can continue with this weak strawman argument.