HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Lowe Be Given A Free Pass?

Old
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
So Omark, Lander, Hartikainen, Rajala, Roy, Kytnar, Motin, and Cornet are wasted picks? Many of them are showing good development signs, and at the very least have looked like good later-round picks. Criticizing a player drafted in the 5th round two years ago because he isn't someone that "will contribute to this team" is absolutely asinine. These kids need time to develop, those taken in the later rounds especially.

I also love how you dismiss Petry just because he isn't in the NHL yet
So how many NHL games have those players actually participated in? How are these late round picks better than those of any other NHL team?

Omark whom you tout, reminds me of a young Norwegian kid that played here a few years ago. Remember how long that experiment lasted?

Petry looks great on Paper, but so did many other Oilers that didn't pan out. Let's not jump the gun here.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
It's easy to be an NHL gm. Just read these boards for good ideas!!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

[QUOTE=nvan97;24822241]
Guys drafted after that have plenty of time to prove themselves but include the likes of Nash, Plante, Omark, Eberle, Motin, Hartikainen, Cornet, MPS, Hesketh, Rajala, and Roy.

The Oilers, based on their average drafting position (mid-1st round), have been one of, if not the best, drafting team in the league.
QUOTE]

LOL

http://etownsgreatest.blogspot.com/2...is-future.html

Old
03-31-2010, 10:17 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Your words, not mine.

You *****ed because he didn't move these players and stuck with them.
I wasn't complaining that he 'stuck' with them.

I was pointing out that Tambellini obviously had no issues with them either, no matter how "obvious" it was to you or anyone else at that time and it certainly isn't some point of distinction in comparing Lowe and Tambellini when they clearly saw eye to eye on these particular players.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I wasn't complaining that he 'stuck' with them.

I was pointing out that Tambellini obviously had no issues with them either, no matter how "obvious" it was to you or anyone else at that time and it certainly isn't some point of distinction in comparing Lowe and Tambellini when they clearly saw eye to eye on these particular players.
How do you know he didn't have issues with them? Is it not possible that he had issues and couldn't do anything about it because nobody wanted them? That's been my point all along. I don't know how much more I can dumb it down for you.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
How do you know he didn't have issues with them? Is it not possible that he had issues and couldn't do anything about it because nobody wanted them? That's been my point all along. I don't know how much more I can dumb it down for you.
I know full well what your point was.

My comment was to correct you because you cherry picked a comment I made and implied that I meant something completely different.

Obviously we don't agree on what he could or couldn't have done. So be it, I think examples around the league support my position and your man crush on Tambellini supports yours.

It's clearly time for you and I to move on from this discussion.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Are you trying to defend an argument by citing some random blogger? What credibility does this person have? Are they privy to inside information? Give me a ******* break if you think for one second this obscure internet junkie holds any weight in this discussion.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:25 PM
WinnipegOil

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I will never look back and say that Kevin Lowe was a very smart hockey mind.The guy doesn't deserve to ever be given a compliment that he is very smart.A smart hockey mind doesn't go and give such ridiculous contracts to mediocre players.A real good smart hockey mind is Ken Holland or Lou Lamoriello,NOT Kevin lowe.
I totally agree. You don't see Holland or Lamoriello make outlandish signings, and waste valuable cap space They tend to make shrewd smaller signings, and consistently field competitive teams. They carefully groom their prospects for maximum impact. That being said,they probably have an easier time signing free agents than Lowe did.
We'll have to give Tambo a few years before really judging his performance.

WinnipegOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegOil View Post
I totally agree. You don't see Holland or Lamoriello make outlandish signings, and waste valuable cap space They tend to make shrewd smaller signings, and consistently field competitive teams. They carefully groom their prospects for maximum impact. That being said,they probably have an easier time signing free agents than Lowe did.
We'll have to give Tambo a few years before really judging his performance.
I wonder why that's so hard for people to do.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Great post. So many people were on board with every move he has made, then calling him a idiot in retropsect when he did somethign they approved??? hmmmm, doesn't any one see how that works.

Any way, I dont' think many people appreciate how hard of a road Lowe has had. He took over a team with no prospects and a bottom of the league salery. pre lock out he was one of the few GMs to actually put out a competative team with no pay roll.

Post lock out he came 1 goal from the cup, No if and or buts, that is dam good.

Since then he finally has money to sign UFA, but nobody wants to come, Pronger skipped town, and we have ben plagued with crazy injuries. He has had a big up hill battle since 06, yet he has stockpiled the system with pics and young players.

Could he have done better? Of course, but this black and white view that he is a idiot is just ridiculous and not supported by the majority of the NHL.
+ 1

It is just so rediculous to hear some of the opinions around here. People wanted to kill Tambo after trading Vish and two weeks later those same soles are advocating Whitney for the C.

Neither Lowe, nor Tambo have the benefit of hindsight, or can be so fickle as to reverse a decision that is already water under the bridge. They need to make decisions with imperfect information all of the time.... that's management. And it abundantly clear to me that many of the posters around here haven't had even a taste of that type of responsibility.

Both have made mistakes and both have made great moves for the franchise. Some have been immediately apparent, and others only down the line when "the other shoe dropped" or assets were monitized (operationalized is probably more appropriate) for a greater return to the team.

Trading a midling 1st for a trip the finals and 3 years of solid Roli goaltending spring to mind. Both the trade and the re-signing were LOUDLY criticized, but now, with retrospect, both worked out just fine..... the Garon loving second guessers... were is their accountability?

Bergeron became a promising Grebeshkov who then rose and depreciated under Tambo before ending up as a 2nd rounder? Where was the "sell-high" trade last season when he was clearly (but not statistically) struggling and only 6 months removed from flirting with 40 points?

The point is that neither of these guys are perfect. It would be interesting to put together a chart, transaction by transaction, to compare their output... with immediate, mid-term and longer-term impact of each move. It is unfair to judge any move with a simple snapshot in time... which is what we do here every day.

bucks_oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I know full well what your point was.

My comment was to correct you because you cherry picked a comment I made and implied that I meant something completely different.

Obviously we don't agree on what he could or couldn't have done. So be it, I think examples around the league support my position and your man crush on Tambellini supports yours.

It's clearly time for you and I to move on from this discussion.
Mancrush... please. I'm giving the guy a chance and not blaming him for the mistakes of Lowe. Have I once said Tambellini hasn't made a mistake? I haven't. He's made some, but who doesn't? He has a plan and it's the first time in years I've seen this club have one with substance. The question was, does Lowe deserve a free pass. He doesn't. It was his poor signings that hampered Tambellini.

You haven't proven anything other than players who have value can get moved. I've proven that players with no value can't.

Time to move on, because frankly you just don't get it and I feel like I'm arguing with a teabagger from the US right about now.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
+ 1

It is just so rediculous to hear some of the opinions around here. People wanted to kill Tambo after trading Vish and two weeks later those same soles are advocating Whitney for the C.

Neither Lowe, nor Tambo have the benefit of hindsight, or can be so fickle as to reverse a decision that is already water under the bridge. They need to make decisions with imperfect information all of the time.... that's management. And it abundantly clear to me that many of the posters around here haven't had even a taste of that type of responsibility.

Both have made mistakes and both have made great moves for the franchise. Some have been immediately apparent, and others only down the line when "the other shoe dropped" or assets were monitized (operationalized is probably more appropriate) for a greater return to the team.

Trading a midling 1st for a trip the finals and 3 years of solid Roli goaltending spring to mind. Both the trade and the re-signing were LOUDLY criticized, but now, with retrospect, both worked out just fine..... the Garon loving second guessers... were is their accountability?

Bergeron became a promising Grebeshkov who then rose and depreciated under Tambo before ending up as a 2nd rounder? Where was the "sell-high" trade last season when he was clearly (but not statistically) struggling and only 6 months removed from flirting with 40 points?

The point is that neither of these guys are perfect. It would be interesting to put together a chart, transaction by transaction, to compare their output... with immediate, mid-term and longer-term impact of each move. It is unfair to judge any move with a simple snapshot in time... which is what we do here every day.
You have to realize the results speak for themselves. Last place team, voted 4th worst franchise in the NHL by the players. Both Springfield and Oil Kings are also terrible.

With respect to hindsight, that is what KLowe, Tamb, and just about every person who holds a job on this planet are judged upon. Actions/decisions and results.

This organization has had how many winning seasons in the past 10 years?

Old
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

[QUOTE=Gone;24835250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
Guys drafted after that have plenty of time to prove themselves but include the likes of Nash, Plante, Omark, Eberle, Motin, Hartikainen, Cornet, MPS, Hesketh, Rajala, and Roy.

The Oilers, based on their average drafting position (mid-1st round), have been one of, if not the best, drafting team in the league.
QUOTE]

LOL

http://etownsgreatest.blogspot.com/2...is-future.html

Nice Resource. A random blogger with little credentials. Might as well use wikipedia.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
TaylorHallFan*

His experience in Edmonton began on the wrong foot for Souray when he arrived at his first training camp nursing a shoulder injury.

"I wasn’t even ready to play when I came here, but it was like, ‘We signed you, you go out and play.’ I hadn’t been cleared to play yet, but I was being questioned by the organization:‘When are you going to be able to play?’

"I go out, play six games, and I get hurt."

Souray said it wasn’t the training staff applying the pressure; it was "management."

He fought Vancouver’s Byron Ritchie in Game 6 of the 2007-08 season and re-injured his shoulder, missing the next 55 games.

"I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day," he said. "They said, ‘When are you going to play?’ I said, ‘I have a six month (shoulder) injury and I’m at five months.’ But I played.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...ouray_request/

TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote