HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some crow, please.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
BobSantos

vCash: 500
None of these hair splitting questions matter. Directions fans want the team to take are so much less interesting than the direction the team actually takes, and why.

The way I see it is Dolan's accounting department will hand him a revised income projection tomorrow. It will be about $6million lighter than it was supposed to be. It's the only language our ownership understands.

He will and should be pissed. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
BwayBshirt

Well, the Rangers are picking no worse than 10th.

Not bad at all for those who care about draft positioning.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no lack of reading comprehension. Dedalus has been cheering for the team to fail for some time now. Again, he's good at concealing his opinions and such so it doesn't look as bad as it is. Either way, the loser attitude of this fanbase is absolutely sickening.

Does the team suck and need a complete overhaul? Absolutely.

Does that mean that we should be happy they missed the playoffs? Not at all.
Thank you! All I did was put my cursor on this post from the main board and saw the ******** feeling that the original post meant to get across.

He's basically gloating that our team sucks and happy that they did lose. Because his original prediction was a negative statement to begin with. 6-8 seed and ousted! That sounds like he's happy he was proven right, and giving props to those who predicted that they'd suck even worse.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I'll take some crow myself.

Predicted the Rangers would finish in the 5 spot. I think the Rangers, unless they sign Kovalchuk, will actually be worse next year. *sigh*
Inferno, as some one who knows the Rangers and Thrashers, why you want Kovalchuk is still a mystery to me...

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Olli is a proven loser. He has to the worst waste of talent in the NHL. He has done nothing to deserve to be in that spot and Torts rewarded this loser with the honor of blowing it.

I could not agree with you more. I am fine with the Christansen and Parenteau picks for the shoot out. Christensen has had a history of being money in the shoot outs, and Parenteau so far this year has done well for us.

But Jokinen over Gaborik or Prospal is beyond me.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 04-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:03 AM
nyr7andcounting

I wanted the team to sell at the deadline and get cold instead of hot a few weeks ago and am pretty disappointed we didn't end up worse than we did. I never root against the team on a play-by-play basis but I do have a realistic outlook on the team and the league.

What if we wont today? We were going to sneak into the playoffs and go into a series against the best team in the league with a goalie who had to carry us there and, for some insane reason, had to play roughly 80 games over the time period of a normal NHL season. Not only would we probably have gotten embarrassed in round 1 but that extra playoff revenue might have decreased the chances of Dolan making big changes which is really what we all agree needs to happen if this team wants to win in the near future. Because of that I think missing the playoffs is perhaps more beneficial to the franchise than getting swept by the Caps would have been.

With that said it would have been nice to get a top pick. We were pretty close a couple weeks ago. Had we gone south in the standings instead of getting hot and finishing 9th we might be drafting a franchise player in a few months. It's still possible but much less of a guarantee. Look at the top teams, the top scorers, the 50 goals scorers this season... pretty much all you see is top draft picks. Until we get one, or get a few more 6th or 7th round gems like Hank which is nearly impossible, this team is just going to float between 5th and 10th every year. That's what I thought before this hot streak, it's what I think now and it's why I would have been perfectly happy to see this team finish bottom of the conference instead of 9th or even 8th.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Cherepanisimov

I rooted for this team until it looked like they were all but eliminated. I admit, I wanted to sell at the deadline, as did many people, but I only rooted against the Rangers when they were about 10 points back, when the playoffs looked absolutely out of sight. I never rooted against this team until they were seemingly eliminated.

I still wanted to see the Rangers succeed, but to me, at that point, it was a pipe dream, so I gave up on the season. I didn't care whether we won or lost. I admit that I was wrong to think that, and this recent streak proved that the season is never over, and if you keep fighting to the end of the season, almost anything can happen.

With this recent streak, I can assure you, I will never root against the Rangers again, because they proved to me over the last 2 weeks that the playoffs are never out of sight, and literally anything can happen. I know that this situation has happened before, but they never actually proved me wrong. This is the first year that I actually gave up on the season.

From now on, I won't give up on this team, no matter how much I can dislike some of the players sometimes. In the future, up until the point when we are mathematically eliminated, I will always believe that we have a chance. As long as there is a chance, whether it be 99% or 0.0001%, I will always root for them to win every ****ing game, no matter what, because after all, there is still a chance.

I think that is maybe one of the few positives that came out of this season.

I am actually ashamed at the fact that I gave up on this season, while the Rangers never did.

I must thank the all Rangers for fighting until the end, (except Jokinen).

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:30 AM
NYRamonte10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
I wanted the team to sell at the deadline and get cold instead of hot a few weeks ago and am pretty disappointed we didn't end up worse than we did. I never root against the team on a play-by-play basis but I do have a realistic outlook on the team and the league.

With that said it would have been nice to get a top pick. We were pretty close a couple weeks ago. Had we gone south in the standings instead of getting hot and finishing 9th we might be drafting a franchise player in a few months. It's still possible but much less of a guarantee. Look at the top teams, the top scorers, the 50 goals scorers this season... pretty much all you see is top draft picks. Until we get one, or get a few more 6th or 7th round gems like Hank which is nearly impossible, this team is just going to float between 5th and 10th every year. That's what I thought before this hot streak, it's what I think now and it's why I would have been perfectly happy to see this team finish bottom of the conference instead of 9th or even 8th.
This is precisely what is so ****ed up. You would be perfectly happy with a terrible performance by the Rangers this season. Do you understand that there isn't much to brag about if the team you're a fan of gets top picks for being a piece of **** and then wins it all? Where is the honor in that?

This is why I don't respect the Penguins' accomplishments. They sucked hard, and now they are on top due to draft picks. They didn't earn that championship, it was given to them as a reward for sucking. They can celebrate all they want, but they can't celebrate as sweetly as the Red Wings do when they win it.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Thank you! All I did was put my cursor on this post from the main board and saw the ******** feeling that the original post meant to get across.

He's basically gloating that our team sucks and happy that they did lose. Because his original prediction was a negative statement to begin with. 6-8 seed and ousted! That sounds like he's happy he was proven right, and giving props to those who predicted that they'd suck even worse.
How is predicting a 6-8 seed and ousted in the 1st round "negative"? They were ousted in the 1st round last year, and have finished around 6-7 seed for the most part since the lockout.

People need to stop confusing realistic opinions and expectations for negative ones. Should he have drank the kool-aid and predicted that the Rangers would finish top 3 in the conference and win the cup?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
NYRamonte10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not saying this is your opinion, but to anyone who supports getting knocked out in the first or second round of the playoffs for 5 consecutive years, thus continually maintaining a status quo of mediocrity...

Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can go the distance. Fishing 10th to 20th every year does little to help the team improve its performance in the future.
I'm fine with mediocrity, in fact I can live with mediocrity for the rest of my life with this team. That's obviously not what i want to happen, but I'm a million times happier with that than the good old tank job.

If you like the tank job, you're not a fan of the team, you're a fan of the trophy. So **** off.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:59 AM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
This is precisely what is so ****ed up. You would be perfectly happy with a terrible performance by the Rangers this season. Do you understand that there isn't much to brag about if the team you're a fan of gets top picks for being a piece of **** and then wins it all? Where is the honor in that?

This is why I don't respect the Penguins' accomplishments. They sucked hard, and now they are on top due to draft picks. They didn't earn that championship, it was given to them as a reward for sucking. They can celebrate all they want, but they can't celebrate as sweetly as the Red Wings do when they win it.
Yes, and that's about what we got anyway. It just wasn't terrible enough to benefit us in the long run.

As for the rest of your comment I agree completely. When you think about it, considering how the best prospects can literally turn a franchise around for the next decade, it's ridiculous that the worst teams are rewarded with those guys. But it's reality. I don't like the Pens any more than you but you have to admit it would greatly benefit the Rangers to suck enough to be able to draft a Crosby or Malkin and turn the franchise around. That's why I would have liked to see this team go in the opposite direction for the last few weeks.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:44 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Yes, and that's about what we got anyway. It just wasn't terrible enough to benefit us in the long run.

As for the rest of your comment I agree completely. When you think about it, considering how the best prospects can literally turn a franchise around for the next decade, it's ridiculous that the worst teams are rewarded with those guys. But it's reality. I don't like the Pens any more than you but you have to admit it would greatly benefit the Rangers to suck enough to be able to draft a Crosby or Malkin and turn the franchise around. That's why I would have liked to see this team go in the opposite direction for the last few weeks.
The Rangers were in position to be terrible enough to draft Crosby; That was Sather's plan A after 2004: tank to get a shot at him. Unfortunately, that random lottery was one of the worst things I've ever seen happen to the franchise.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:25 AM
darko

I predicted us to finish 6th-8th. We finished 9th.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No one was rooting for the team to fail. We were rooting for the team to get a high pick because that seemed like a better course for this franchise's future than what seemed like a fruitless push for the playoffs.

Once it became apparent that a high pick wasn't going to happen, everyone has been on board with making the playoffs because none of us wanted the worst case scenario, which was to miss the playoffs and get a low pick. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened. In retrospect, can anyone really say that we wouldn't have been better off losing all those games and finishing bottom 5?
I'm a Flyers fan, but I come in peace. The following is my opinion, and I don't care to defend it to any who may disagree, I offer it only because it may cheer a couple of you up (or not, here goes...).

I would say that you guys are better off for trying to make the play-offs when you thought you had a chance (which clearly you did). Further, I believe that every game is worth winning, even outside of the value of points in the play-off push, even at the cost of an earlier pick. Take pride in the fact that your team didn't pack it in. There is a difference between having competed and lost and having made a choice to give up. That choice represents the difference between those who just came up a bit short and those who are simply losers.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'm a Flyers fan, but I come in peace. The following is my opinion, and I don't care to defend it to any who may disagree, I offer it only because it may cheer a couple of you up (or not, here goes...).

I would say that you guys are better off for trying to make the play-offs when you thought you had a chance (which clearly you did). Further, I believe that every game is worth winning, even outside of the value of points in the play-off push, even at the cost of an earlier pick. Take pride in the fact that your team didn't pack it in. There is a difference between having competed and lost and having made a choice to give up. That choice represents the difference between those who just came up a bit short and those who are simply losers.
Excellent post! I agree completely. Not everyone sees it the same way, but what you say is the truth.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Said for two months the Rangers would miss out on the playoffs and by one point.

Not only did they lose out on the playoffs, they lost out on a really good draft pick. They cant even lose right. Gotta love mediocrity at its best. What a total waste of time this season was. Thanks Glen.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Take pride in the fact that your team didn't pack it in. There is a difference between having competed and lost and having made a choice to give up.
The problem is, they packed it in all winter. The Ranger team that competed hard over the past 2 weeks isn't the Ranger team I watched between Halloween and the Olympic break.

But I agree with the sentiment, and clearly, the changes that were made to the team during the season improved it enough to be there at the end. I take my hat off to the guys that I didn't expect to even be Rangers for coming in, playing hard and literally making a difference.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This thread has really mutated and shown the ugly underbelly of what its like being a Ranger fan.

People actually patting themselves on the back because they knew this team wouldnt be good. Congratulations, you had the foresight to see that a franchise who has won 1 cup in 70 years would have yet another rough season. Kudos to you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Jersey Girl

Ahh Patriotism...the last refuge of a scoundrel...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just a matter of perspective. Long term view vs short term view. I don't mind losing a few games today if it means winning more tomorrow. In the end, none of us are happy. We didn't make the playoffs AND we didn't get a high draft pick.

This is really the issue at hand. No one who comes on Rangers HF Boards on a daily basis roots against this team. We're all fans... most die-hard variety.

Some felt that taking advantage of the sellers market at the deadline (which would have in all probability meant missing the play-offs) and prepping this team for the coming seasons (including a better draft position) would have been the best course of action.

I felt that way... but I DO NOT root against the NYR, nor do I feel like a lesser fan for it.

All I really wanted was for them to NOT do, exactly what they did. Finish 9th.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This thread has really mutated and shown the ugly underbelly of what its like being a Ranger fan.
I agree. Check out this comment:

People actually patting themselves on the back because they knew this team wouldnt be good. Congratulations, you had the foresight to see that a franchise who has won 1 cup in 70 years would have yet another rough season. Kudos to you.

In any case, those whom I was crediting were a little more specific than offering vaguaries like "rough season," although you seem to fancy that particular strawman.

The fact is, most of us figured on a repeat of last season, possibly an improvement. I thought the first. Neither of those is a particularly "rough" season; the lesser of them is best described as "average."

There were some here who recognized early in the game that the season wouldn't even be average. That, rather than improving or staying in place, the team would REGRESS. Generally those people were blasted. (No surprise there: the Greeks taught us long ago that everybody hates Cassandra.)

Those people were actually right, although it clearly nettles some to admit it.

Last edited by dedalus: 04-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Over the course of an 8-month, 82-game season, a breakaway contest is what separated the playoff-bound Flyers and the golf course-bound Rangers. It really did come down to what equates to the flip of a coin.
I think the singular performance of one player - our goalie - gives that illusion, but the numbers tell the story of that game. Additionally, over the course of the 82-game season, let's not forget the Rangers had to deal with no injuries the likes of Gagne's and Emery's.

Gagne had 40 points in 58 games. Take a comparable scorer off the Rangers for more than a quarter of the season, and the Rangers aren't sniffing the 8 seed. Force the Rangers into starting a goalie of Brian Boucher's caliber for 26 games, and the same happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
And neither of them would/will win the Stanley Cup this year...so it's really a moot point.
True that.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote