HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess Gabby would have gone fourth in SO.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont want to list other players....that way, you can continue with this weak strawman argument.
Well actually thats pretty weak. You make arguments that makes no logical sense, then you refuse to back them up when I point out their flaw.

You have an issue with him playing percentages when according to you, he hasn't done so all year. You'd rather he went by the "flow of the game". If that's so, then would you have supported him putting Shelley or Prust out there for the shootout since they were getting better scoring opportunities than Paranteau, Christensen & Jokinen?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Well actually thats pretty weak. You make arguments that makes no logical sense, then you refuse to back them up when I point out their flaw.

You have an issue with him playing percentages when according to you, he hasn't done so all year. You'd rather he went by the "flow of the game". If that's so, then would you have supported him putting Shelley or Prust out there for the shootout since they were getting better scoring opportunities than Paranteau, Christensen & Jokinen?
Prust and Shelley were late acquisitions for this team anyway, they played great, but I wont be entertaining your silly suggestion that I'd be a proponent of having 2 4th liners shoot in the shootout.

I can just tell you that, if it were up to me, I'd probably have 3 completely different shooters. Gaborik, Prospal, and Dubinsky in particular deserved chances to prolong their season over a waiver wire scrub, a minor leaguer, and a born loser.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
I can just tell you that, if it were up to me, I'd probably have 3 completely different shooters. Gaborik, Prospal, and Dubinsky in particular deserved chances to prolong their season over a waiver wire scrub, a minor leaguer, and a born loser.
So in other words, you'd like to put the players, the team, & the season in a good position to fail.

- Dubinsky is 0 for 3 on his career.
- Gaborik is 2 for 18
- Prospal is the only one who has respectable #'s at 14 for 36.

Like it or not, the shootout is not about rewarding your best players. It, like plenty of other things in a hockey game is a niche. You wouldn't put Shelley out there in a shootout, and you wouldn't make Prust take an important faceoff.

A coaches most important job is put the right players out at the right time. Torts did that. We still lost. Get over it.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
So in other words, you'd like to put the players, the team, & the season in a good position to fail.

- Dubinsky is 0 for 3 on his career.
- Gaborik is 2 for 18
- Prospal is the only one who has respectable #'s at 14 for 36.

Like it or not, the shootout is not about rewarding your best players. It, like plenty of other things in a hockey game is a niche. You wouldn't put Shelley out there in a shootout, and you wouldn't make Prust take an important faceoff.

A coaches most important job is put the right players out at the right time. Torts did that. We still lost. Get over it.
You'd actually have a point if we had a coach that had shown some sort of steady hand when it comes to making decisions all season. Does he look like a guy that "plays the percentages" to you? If he the type of personality that operates that way?

Nope, all season long I've heard him crow about how his strengths are having his hand on the pulse of this team. Then he goes out there and allows Olli Jokinen to blow the season with a roller hockey move.

Its contradictory behavior from Tortorella that has pissed me off all season. Excuse me if I dont "get over" this one too quickly being that this particular instance ended our season, and now I have to watch stupid baseball for 6 months.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
OverTheCap

This team is no longer a good shootout team. We learned that earlier this season, so I'm not sure why that's such a shock now.

The player percentages are pretty awful compared to what we've had in previous years. When you have a team that lacks talent or skill, it's going to be hard to succeed in a shootout.

And, as mentioned earlier, the shootout isn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs. I could think of about 15 games where we should gotten at least 1 extra point. That blown lead in Toronto a few weeks ago looms pretty large. It never should have gotten to the point where the Rangers' season is decided by a shootout in the last game. They put themselves in this position and deserve what they got.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
You'd actually have a point if we had a coach that had shown some sort of steady hand when it comes to making decisions all season. Does he look like a guy that "plays the percentages" to you? If he the type of personality that operates that way?

Nope, all season long I've heard him crow about how his strengths are having his hand on the pulse of this team. Then he goes out there and allows Olli Jokinen to blow the season with a roller hockey move.

Its contradictory behavior from Tortorella that has pissed me off all season. Excuse me if I dont "get over" this one too quickly being that this particular instance ended our season, and now I have to watch stupid baseball for 6 months.
In response to not just the above-quoted posts but all your posts in this thread, I essentially agree with you; as I said in another thread:

You couldn't watch Jokinen there and not realize the pressure completely got to him. Clearly, this was unlike any other shootout, and the pressure got to him.

Now, should the coach been able to anticipate that would be a problem with that player in that situation? The answer is "yes."

The situation called for not only someone who can pot one in a shootout, but someone who is cool under pressure.

That someone would not be Jokinen. The pressure of that moment cancels out his skill at shootouts to a large extent.

Gaborik, Dubinsky and Prospal all would have been better choices. Torts got it wrong.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
XLJ

I dont have a problem with him not using Gaborik but Jokinen has lost his scoring touch, no way I wanted Jokinen to shoot with the season on the line. I would of went with either Anisimov, Dubinsky or Prospal instead.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

anyone who agrees with torts contention that "playing the percentages" was the right call yesterday only confirms he has no clue what hes doing behind the bench.

call me crazy but if you have a shaky goalie who hasnt really had to make a save all game, has an entire city glaring at him, season on the line, im putting my most imposing players on the ice against him. Regardless of past shootout records, seeing gabby or even drury coming down the ice as opposed to joker and his windup is going to get him thinking before the puck even leaves the center ice circle, and thats half the battle. Give me gabby or drury shooting with a goalie stick over jokinen in that position any day of the week and at last once last sunday. torts is an *******...if he was so certain in his decision why couldnt he discuss it? he better be on the unemplpoyment line this afternoon

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Gaborik, Dubinsky and Prospal all would have been better choices. Torts got it wrong.
Prospal, I could buy. He's good in the shootouts, seems to be clutch, and has been here all year.

Dubinsky, maybe....He hasn't scored in a shootout ever, if I'm not mistaken.

Gaborik? Our best player for sure, but he's abysmal in the SO, even when the pressure is less than it was yesterday. Jagr was the same way. Some guys just can't do it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
TomLaidlaw

Jokinen must have just recently watched the movie Youngblood, with that dramatic start to his shootout attempt.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Love the fact that the three guys who the season relied all may not be back next season.

04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Like someone said earlier should have went with him or him but at the end of the day he picked the 3 highest percentages....but i def think the problem in the game was they just sat on that 1 goal lead since the start of the 2nd period....so damn frustrating watching them just let the flyers gain the zone time and time again not stepping up on the blueline...i mean if you are going to sit on the lead then make them work for it dump and chase but every line was gaining the zone so easily on us ugh....King Hank deserved to win that game for how good he played and his team depened on a shutout...that game showed me how bad of a coach torts is. He just played it safe and tried to keep them off the board. Even a team (Rangers) this enept if you let gain the zone every shift would score more then 1 goal. I just dont understand if your sitting on the elad how are they gaining our blueline every damn shift.

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
joker missed on purpose because he wanted to skip town sooner so he doesnt have to play here anymore

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote