HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Scouting Question

Old
04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Default101

vCash: 500
AHL Scouting Question

I'm wondering.. Do AHL teams have their own scouts, or do they just utilize their NHL affiliate clubs scouting staff. I know most of the players on these teams are brought in as under contract and already drafted by their NHL team, but i'm refering more towards NCAA graduates and OHL graduates that get ATO or get signed to minor league contracts. Do they have their own scouts that find these players, or let the NHL suggest who they sign?

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
I'm wondering.. Do AHL teams have their own scouts, or do they just utilize their NHL affiliate clubs scouting staff. I know most of the players on these teams are brought in as under contract and already drafted by their NHL team, but i'm refering more towards NCAA graduates and OHL graduates that get ATO or get signed to minor league contracts. Do they have their own scouts that find these players, or let the NHL suggest who they sign?
I would figure the NHL scouts have a shortlist of guys they see in college and juniors who aren't worthy of an NHL contract just yet, but want to see how they fare in the pro game.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:00 PM
adsfan

As far as I know, Milwaukee doesn't have any scouts. The Nashville Assistant GM serves as Milwaukee's GM. He may look at players. The Admirals work with Cincinnati of the ECHL to get most of their call-ups. In an emergency, they may get a local skater or goalie for a game. Last season for the playoffs, they signed Brian Smolinski. He played in the NHL for years, but was playing for Flint and their season ended. I still don't know how he got to Milwaukee, maybe somebody knew him from the past.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:11 AM
WheatiesHockey

Some AHL teams like the Manitoba Moose and Chicago Wolves do scout and have evaluation camps to find players to fill out their rosters. The pure affiliation route with an NHL team can sometimes lead to less than desirable outcomes for an AHL team.
A small group of players come in on evaluation contracts anywhere from 3 to 20 games and if they work out they might stay with the club after that.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:28 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Some AHL clubs are privately owned, while some are owned by the NHL Franchise. If owned by the NHL franchise they utilize the scouting process of the parent club.

The Privately owned teams either have scouts or the GM's use a 'bird-dog' system in which they have a relationship with junior or independant scouts that will offer suggestions or give report upon request.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote