HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei back O'Byrnes out

Old
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I think we should have our Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line go up against Ovy's because I don't think AK can handle the speed and grit that Ovy would dish out.
I think our second line against their second line is a matchup in our favour, look for Martin to use that.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
i don't understand what martin is thinking taking out our most physical defenseman against the league's most offensive team, and replacing him with our most vulnerable defenseman and weakest link.

ovechkin is gonna make bergeron his *****
Martin is a man that clearly favors his veterans. He's done it all season long. MAB comes in with the experience of a Cup run. Even if he wasn't a big part of that run, he still went through it.

As weak MAB can be, he did step up his game and performed better down the stretch of the year.

We'll see what Martin decides but the good thing is he has options.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't think our PP is going to be much of a factor, it has stunk for a month now, even if the Caps PK is brutal.

They have to play smart, disciplined and great team defense. Everyone thinks the Caps are going to bury the Habs with goals, I don't think that's going to be the case. A smart and patient game by the Habs will frustrate the Caps, I have seen it before with the Rangers. Goaltending will be huge, but it will come down to how well this team plays together defensively, and breakouts on transition that win this series, not all the frills and gimmicks people seem to think.
I agree but I still think our PP may win us some games. A goal on the PP can change everything in a one goal game.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
A Zen Master

I liked having a shorter offensive bench vs. the leafs, but O'Byrne on the bench isn't very helpful compared to Sergei on the ice.

Like many have stated MAB is infinitely better on defense than as our 4th line winger.

A Zen Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I agree but I still think our PP may win us some games. A goal on the PP can change everything in a one goal game.
Just one of the many facets of the game that has to be there for the Habs to pull the upset. If there are a number of facets firing at the same time, I think its possible to beat this Caps team.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

We need to forecheck with 2 man instead of one, pressure that young suspect defense. We also cannot, I repeat, cannot continue missing chances to clear the zone. Not against Washington who doesnt need many chances to score.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
it will be hard for 13-14-46 to score against Ovi line if Hammer and Spacek are on the the ice with them.
This line won't be doing much scoring I dont think. Pleks is key defensively against the top lines. We have Gomez Gio and Pouliot to really bring on the offense. Gomez and Gio are clutch in playoffs.

One thing that we need more than anything is goals against this team. Every time we take an offensive zone faceoff... Markov and MAB are at the blue line... and thats when he is very useful.

I think MAB should stay D against the caps. They are big, but they are even faster, and we need to be mobile more than anything against them.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
neilsonftw

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...0Round1Series1

Notice the habs's series changer

neilsonftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
shutehinside

For everyone in favour of OB in instead of MAB, are you freakin' kidding me!?

OB has been HORRIBLE down the stretch and he's purely one dimensional player. If that dimension isn't working then how the hack can he be effect? If you think Ovy will make MAB his b1tch just imagine what he would do to OB, probably make him score on his own net.

This will not be a physical, ground and pound series. It will be a much more fast paced, offensive tilt then grinding hockey. That being said, you need to be able to quickly transition from defense to offence and MAB and Markov give you the best option to do just that. Just look at how they've dominated Washington on the PP this year. If they can work their magic 5 on 5 during a game, all the better.

OB could be a good player for us one day, but as of today he doesn't have the confidence, experience or where with all to be effect. MAB has all of the above and besides his size is an upgrade on OB in every other category as of late including on defence.

A red hot MAB makes so much more sense then a fragile OB.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Who else feels like Pouliot is going to be a beast in the playoffs? I think he'll thrive on the physical stuff. That shot off the cross bar at the Leafs was wicked.

And hopefully AK and SK want to bring it.

gohabsgo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsonftw View Post
you would think Halak would be the Habs' series changer.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
this is the line at practice today, good lineup imo

Michael Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Benoît Pouliot - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Travis Moen - Dominic Moore - Sergei Kostitsyn
Mathieu Darche - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Pyatt

Défenseurs :

Roman Hamrlik - Jaroslav Spacek
Andrei Markov - Marc-André Bergeron
Hal Gill - Josh Gorges

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...ide-10361.html
It's good to see Sergei Kostitsyn back onboard and I am a big fan of this 4th line: Pyatt - Lapierre - Darche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Happy to see Sergei back. But, O'Byrne out? Bergeron on defense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
MAB on D? god we're so dead if he plays
In his last 5 games, as a D, Bergeron shouldered ~21 minutes per game, 2G-2A with a +5 while playing against the #1 or #2 line of our opponents. We badly need Markov AND Bergeron: without them, this D squad seriously lacks offensive knack.

Again...

------------
Bergeron: 5 shots on goal against the Leafs

Gill: 5 shots on goal in his last 18 games played

Gorges: 5 shots on goal in his last 15 games played
------------

I know that Martin puts a lot of emphasis on the play "without the puck" and I also know the value of "keeping it simple" in some particular situations but, come on: attacking our opponent’s net is also part of the game... right?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
ok one game. wow!!!!! i have nothing against MAB, he had a horrible season on D despite having a decent last week and a good game againt TO. But OB size would be useful against the caps.
I'm sure you and Ovy would prefer Obyrne.....

LowBallFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
We need someone to defend Markov when there's a brawl...

We should've signed Souray!
LOL..... Been there done that.....

Old
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBallFern View Post
I'm sure you and Ovy would prefer Obyrne.....
and i am sure OB would do a much better job shutting down Ovy than MAB would.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I just can't figure out some of the decisions that are made but they have to try something. It looks like Martin is trying to pull a rabbit of the hat. Who knows... it might work but if Ovechkin ever puts the shoulder into MAB it will the end of that experiment.
Bring back Obyrne...lol
We have to give a chance poor Ovy.......lol
R U sure MAB wil be head to head with Ovy?

Old
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
saints96

Quote:
Bring back Obyrne...lol
We have to give a chance poor Ovy.......lol
R U sure MAB wil be head to head with Ovy?
i hope JM isn't that stupid, with JM you never know.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
In his last 5 games, as a D, Bergeron shouldered ~21 minutes per game, 2G-2A with a +5 while playing against the #1 or #2 line of our opponents. We badly need Markov AND Bergeron: without them, this D squad seriously lacks offensive knack.

Again...

------------
Bergeron: 5 shots on goal against the Leafs

Gill: 5 shots on goal in his last 18 games played

Gorges: 5 shots on goal in his last 15 games played
------------
I think that you're making a great point about MAB's impact on this team. Sacrificing O'B's physicality for his offensive prowess is a good choice in my opinion. However, I think that the stats you reference are irrelevant. It's not really fair compare the PP triggerman against the 5th and 6th defencemen based solely on shots. Gorges and Gill aren't expected to provide offense.

If this team is lacking punch from the blueline, it's because Hamr and Spacek aren't providing it (we know that Markov and MAB are bringing great offense).

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsonftw View Post
I think I finally see what JM has been doing. All season long, he made the habs suck and play a disastrous passive system in a daring attempt to lower our opponents's guard come playoff time. Now, he's going to go all out on offense by inserting MAB on D (!) and let him throw his lazers all game long while hoping that Markov's awesomeness will cover the mistakes he may make in the defensive zone
Like if another coach would have brought this team of pygmies old depleted defense higher in the stands???
Or this team, in spite of Martin made it to the palyofff...lol
Do you guys know hockey?

Martin is not the problem! The gainey legacy is!!!

Old
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
saints96

Quote:
Like if another coach would have brought this team of pygmies old depleted defense higher in the stands???
Or this team, in spite of Martin made it to the palyofff...lol
Do you guys know hockey?

Martin is not the problem! The gainey legacy is!!!
you blaming gainey makes you know more about hockey right? ..where was MTL before the gainey era? Nowhere, not even a play off contender, pittyful display of hockey, they weren't even on the map. Spare with me with the gainey suck BS.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
O'Byrne can't make a breakout pass, so its obvious that Martin is trying to go with a transition game against the Caps, Bergeron will help in that regard. Bergeron weakens the 4th line majorly, and having a 4th line is key in this series because Washington has better bottom 6 depth than we have. Bergeron isn't a downgrade from O'Byrne defensively really so it makes it an easier choice than you think.

The key is to cause turnovers and have a good breakout, Washington is beatable if you have a good counter attack.
Thank you.....

Old
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
guest1467

Quote:
and i am sure OB would do a much better job shutting down Ovy than MAB would.
It wouldn't be O'Byrnes or MABs job to shut down Ovechkin, so what difference does it make?

Old
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I like this move, Bergeron brings so much more offense than O'Byrne and is not a huge downgrade defensively. Physically MAB is a downgrade but his puck moving capabilities and shot are necessary in this series where some games will be goal fests imo.

Glad SKost is back as well, I liked that third line.
Me too.....(SK)
MAB provides a D that can run and gun as well as provide quick breakout. He is excellent in reading the play offensively and provide quick turn around in the play.

He has done very well on D as an Edmonton Oilers in the past palyoffs as wel.
We all know his drawback.

Martin is obviously capitalising on the goods that MAB brings....
Obyrne would be an excellent fit against a physical team but definitely a minus (worse than MAB) against a team like Washington in my opinion.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Our lineup makes Washington's game plan pretty obvious: Pound, pound, pound.

Having said that, I don't mind having MAB in ahead of O'Byrne to start. As much as I like O'Byrne, he definitely struggled vs. Washington this year. He seemed over-matched, tentative and nervous.

I think this is Martin going with experience over inexperience more than anything.

Yes, the puck-moving, point shot, etc. are all key positives as much as size and defensive lapses are key negatives for MAB. But Martin is selecting a playoff-hardened 30-year-old guy over a young guy.

Look at our 6 D. Find one that isn't playoff tested. That's JM's thinking.
and I think he is making a well thought plan based on experience first.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I think that you're making a great point about MAB's impact on this team. Sacrificing O'B's physicality for his offensive prowess is a good choice in my opinion. However, I think that the stats you reference are irrelevant. It's not really fair compare the PP triggerman against the 5th and 6th defencemen based solely on shots. Gorges and Gill aren't expected to provide offense.

If this team is lacking punch from the blueline, it's because Hamr and Spacek aren't providing it (we know that Markov and MAB are bringing great offense).
"... It's not really fair compare the PP triggerman against the 5th and 6th defencemen based solely on shots..."

You are right: it is not fair but I was trying to underline (quickly and in a concise way) the fact that when Gill – Gorges are on the ice, on ES, we should expect a lot of time spent in our zone, near zero pressure on the opponent's net, and a poor transition game - puck shot on the boards to clear the zone.

We can’t expect to win against WAS (it’s true against any team but especially against a high octane team like WAS) if we spend most of the time in our zone and/or continuously give them back the puck when we are trying to break out of our zone. And once we gain WAS’ blue line, we will need support from our Ds.

People (fans and analysts) are quick to underline Bergeron’s defensive errors but rarely will we read/hear people complain about Gill and Gorges offensive errors.

"... Gorges and Gill aren't expected to provide offense..." and we almost never blame them for their lack of offensive skill.

Bergeron is not expected to provide a stay-at-home contribution but we always blame him for his lack of defensive awareness.

Guys like Markov, Cammalleri, the Kostitsyn brothers, Bergeron, Gomez, Gionta... need some breathing room.

PS you are also right about Hamrlik and Spacek: they need to step their game up a notch... or two!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-12-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote