HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Building Endurance?

Old
04-10-2010, 03:53 PM
angj

vCash: 500
Building Endurance?

hi guys
First time poster, long time viewer.

I recently got back into playing hockey in a men's league.
I haven't played at a game level for quite some time.

I seem to always find myself running out of energy quickly, which makes me fumble passes and take weak shots which I would normally execute fine when I'm just playing pick up or playing around.

My question is how do you suggest building endurance so that I am able to perform the way I should be when in a game situation and to sustain my level of play?

Do you suppose it is just my cardio which I should work on?
Or perhaps something else?

Thanks

angj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

There have been a few topics already, even in the last month:

Hockey Conditioning
Spring Workout Routine
Hockey Diet/Conditioning Programs

Are you sure you are a long time viewer

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Pick one or more of the following:

Plyometrics (my favorite)
Running
High Intensity Interval Training

The end

Also, if you haven't played in a while, you'll usually feel like crap the first few games. Anyway, if you wanna try Plyo, try P90X, Tony Horton will kick the crap out of you and you'll love it. Plus the guy from Broken Lizard is in the video and he has a prosthetic leg, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Guy on left

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:50 PM
hoonking

Plyo is not to be used for endurance. Do something like ride a bike for an hour a day either on a hilly road, in a high gear/setting or something like that.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:15 AM
tiger_80

long distance anything--running, biking, swimming...An hour or longer 3-6 times a week.

For speed/quickness--add jumps/skipping rope, running stairs, sprints, lounges...

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Plyo is not to be used for endurance. Do something like ride a bike for an hour a day either on a hilly road, in a high gear/setting or something like that.
IDK, ever since I've started doing Plyo I never feel tired when I play anymore...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
backhander

these are all great suggestions. mainly...doing anything versus nothing at all is going to help. i'd suggest running to building your aerobic base to start. then work on your anaerobic base doing sprints and plyometric type workouts. i believe you should build your cardio first. you will see and improvement. also, leg workouts (squats, lunges) to help build muscle to sustain all the starting and stopping you do esp at the end of games.

if you put the effort in you will see results. i notice when i skip workouts and play my game goes down. hockey's a sport that you need to stay in shape if you want to be any good. there are exceptions to those that are ultra talented and have played many years so for the rest we require working out. good luck

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:23 PM
backhander

these are all great suggestions. mainly...doing anything versus nothing at all is going to help. i'd suggest running to building your aerobic base to start. then work on your anaerobic base doing sprints and plyometric type workouts. i believe you should build your cardio first. you will see and improvement. also, leg workouts (squats, lunges) to help build muscle to sustain all the starting and stopping you do esp at the end of games.

if you put the effort in you will see results. i notice when i skip workouts and play my game goes down. hockey's a sport that you need to stay in shape if you want to be any good. there are exceptions to those that are ultra talented and have played many years so for the rest we require working out. good luck

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
IDK, ever since I've started doing Plyo I never feel tired when I play anymore...
It won't hurt obviously but its main use is for explosive strength. For building cardio/endurance it would be better to focus on biking/running/whatever with plyo as a strength booster. Combining the 2 would make for a much stronger, faster, and long-lasting hockey player.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Gino 14

Kettlebells.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Hextall27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
long distance anything--running, biking, swimming...An hour or longer 3-6 times a week.

For speed/quickness--add jumps/skipping rope, running stairs, sprints, lounges...
Doing cardio for over an hour will help if your training for a marathon but in a sport like hockey it will be detrimental because of the hit it will take on your muscle mass. Unless you eat extremely well and treat your body like a temple running that much will deplete your body of needed energy and muscle mass. Hockey is a great blend of aerobic and anerobic exercise so you need a good balance in your off ice training.

A good training method is to do interval training, it helps with explosiveness, keeps the matabolism up, is quick to do (20 mins MAX) and most importantly wont eat away at your muscle mass.

What I do is simply, run around the block. Ill jog for 4 houses, sprint for 4, jog 3, sprint 4, jog 2 sprint 4 etc. then Ill go back up 3 jog 4sprint 4 jog 4 sprint....ill do this for about 15-20 mins. I'm 6'1 200lbs and in decnt shape and its SUPER tough for me to build muscle so I dont want to loss what I have.

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
jagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall27 View Post
Doing cardio for over an hour will help if your training for a marathon but in a sport like hockey it will be detrimental because of the hit it will take on your muscle mass. Unless you eat extremely well and treat your body like a temple running that much will deplete your body of needed energy and muscle mass. Hockey is a great blend of aerobic and anerobic exercise so you need a good balance in your off ice training.

A good training method is to do interval training, it helps with explosiveness, keeps the matabolism up, is quick to do (20 mins MAX) and most importantly wont eat away at your muscle mass.

What I do is simply, run around the block. Ill jog for 4 houses, sprint for 4, jog 3, sprint 4, jog 2 sprint 4 etc. then Ill go back up 3 jog 4sprint 4 jog 4 sprint....ill do this for about 15-20 mins. I'm 6'1 200lbs and in decnt shape and its SUPER tough for me to build muscle so I dont want to loss what I have.

I agree... Also give yourself adequate time to rest inbetween training days... it's just as important for your muscles to recover too..

What i really like doing...

- 1min jog
- stretch
- 30 second sprint
- 60 second jog/walk
- 30 second sprint
- 90 second jog/walk
- 30 second sprint
- 120 second jog/walk
- 30 second sprint
- 150 second jog/walk
- 30 second sprint
- 180 second jog/walk
- 30 second sprint
-----this totals about 13 minutes but you can keep going if you can take it... otherwise a brisk walk or a slow jog home to cool down

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
maci4life

a killer for me is a rowing machine. set it to the highest level and go nuts on it. My cardio is awful, so i'm gasping for air at 500m, but i am going full out though.

resistance plus cardio is the way to go, and rowing does it!!!

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Hextall27

Also your skating style can effect your endurance. Im a basically a beginner hockey player but I'm fairly up on my fitness level/knowledge. being that, I can tell you I get winded quickly because my skating is so bad, I have a very unnatural stride-I lift my feet too high then slam them down, I push more back then to the side, and I dont trust my edges...I know these things because I went to a personal skating instructor who basically told me I'm a mess, and I'll never be good til my skating improves. If your a good skater then you probably dont have my problems so basic fitness should help you out, otherwise, like me, you might need the extra help a power skating coach can give. Either way it boils down to hard work and effort...which is the root of hockey.

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote