HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was this Hank's best season?

View Poll Results: Was this Henrik Lundqvist's best season?
Yes, certainly. 22 32.84%
No, not at all. 19 28.36%
Maybe/Depends. 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
I think it was his best by a good margin. In fact, he has improved during the course of this year. His glove hand has improved since the Olympics. He was lights out yesterday.......one of his best ever performances. The Rangers are lucky to have Hank.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
DutchShamrock

It was a season of contradictions. His performances were less perfect but better all around. The months with the highest GAA were the best save % months. The offense wasn't better than any other year, maybe worse but the defense is the worst in his career to this point.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I won't go ballistic on you. I'm just not seeing the point. He gave up more soft goals, but his save percentage was higher. That means he's stopping more ridiculous chances that should be goals. And at the end of the day, a goal is a goal. I don't care what kind of goals he gives up if he's going to post a .921 SV% every year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Someone wanna make this a poll?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Someone wanna make this a poll?
Sure, I always like polls.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yes definitely.

Played on arguably the worst team in front of him since he's been here (judgment call of course, but i think most with agree it's possible).

The team in front of him played a least defensive system since he's been here, offense oriented.

He managed to put up a career high in save % (which IMO is the most telling goalie stat). 2nd best in GAA in his career.

And he didn't have a "slump month" this season for the first time in 4 years.

He's entering his prime....

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I am going to place myself solidly in the "Yes" category on this one. If you had asked me in Jan/Feb, I probably would have gone with "Maybe/Depends," but based on his season as an overall body of work, I would have to say that this was his best one on a number of levels.

In 08-09, I thought Henrik faced a number of high quality scoring chances in the midst of defensive breakdowns. This year, though, that number shot up even more, IMO. I would maintain that Henrik made more "elite" saves than he has ever made before, all while playing more games than he has ever played, in the midst of a compressed schedule (wherein he was also called upon to be the starting goalie for his country in the Olympics), with a group of defensemen who did not clear the puck away from him as effectively as they had done in the past few seasons (and to put things in perspective, it was not done THAT well in those seasons, either).

His glove hand, which has always been a weakness in the past, improved noticeably throughout this season. The other frequent criticism against him (his passive, deep in the net style) was also improved upon, as we saw him coming out and challenging the shooter more.

Frankly, I think you guys are getting too bogged down in numbers. No goalie statistic can really be viewed completely independently of the team around them. Considering the fact that every single defenseman on the team struggled at one point this year, and some (**cough** Redden **cough**) even struggled for the ENTIRE year, I maintain that Henrik had his most difficult season to date, and came out of it looking better than ever.

As for the argument about how many "soft" goals Henrik let up, I'm just gonna have to ask what more anyone wants. Even on nights when he does give up a "softy," how many times did it happen that the team in front of him was dominating, only to have his "softy" cost us the game? I'm guessing that that is a very, VERY small number of games. Considering the fact that just about every game we won this season could on some level be classified as Henrik having stolen it, I'm inclined to accept the handful of games one might say that he "cost us" in favor of the multitudes more that he won for us outright.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much better anyone could rationally expect Henrik to be. Until he has a somewhat competent defensive group out there in front of him, he's going to have to continue to be superhuman every night just for us to have a shot at winning any games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sure, I always like polls.
Thanks, bud.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

The more I think about it... it was.

Except in shootouts. Way worse (and not just due to last night).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think the "soft goals" vs. "good goals" argument is pretty weak. At the end of the day, a goal is a goal, they all count the same. At the end of the day, your SV% is what it is, and his was better than ever.

His soft goals didn't cost us anymore games than usual, and he stole the same or more games as usual. I think you can make the argument that it was his best, being that he was largely consistent start to finish.
That is a thought that came to mind. IMO he had more dominant stretches in the 2007-2008 season, but he was steady (for the first time in his career) this entire season. And I think I'd rather have that.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
bumrusherer

I dont think it was his best but it was yet another stellar season for him.

He is what he is at this point. An elite Goalie who I wouldnt trade for any other in the world....so when he plays like this and we dont make the playoffs. That just speaks volumes for how poor the rest of the team is.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

He had a good year, but not his best.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
clmetsfan

I have trouble taking an argument seriously when it's based around a premise that it wasn't Hank's best season because some people “seem to remember” more softies than before.

First of all, I certainly don’t remember more. In all of his slumps in years past, he would let up multiple softies in a week, and it would continue for weeks at a time. The softies this year, as far as I can recall, were few and far between. And logic would dictate that when you avoid prolonged stretches of poor play and your overall numbers (in this case SV%) are as good as they've ever been, it means you cut down on glaring mistakes.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, things like that are always more poignant in one’s memory when they occur more recently. It’s like how every other winter people go on about how this is the worst one they can remember. Obviously one can remember more softies when they occurred in the past few months rather than the ones that occurred over a year ago.

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP as well is his improvements handling the puck. He no longer gives me a heart attack with boneheaded misplays where he tries to pretend he's Brodeur for a few seconds.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 04-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Cermi

2nd best. The best was his first season.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
2nd best. The best was his first season.
Possibly, but he only started 50 games in his rookie season. So this year he essentially put up the same performance and did so at much greater output. If two pitchers put up similar numbers, but one started 20 games and the other started 30, who had the better year?

Old
04-12-2010, 05:14 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I have trouble taking an argument seriously when it's based around a premise that it wasn't Hank's best season because some people “seem to remember” more softies than before.

First of all, I certainly don’t remember more. In all of his slumps in years past, he would let up multiple softies in a week, and it would continue for weeks at a time. The softies this year, as far as I can recall, were few and far between. And logic would dictate that when you avoid prolonged stretches of poor play and your overall numbers (in this case SV%) are as good as they've ever been, it means you cut down on glaring mistakes.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, things like that are always more poignant in one’s memory when they occur more recently. It’s like how every other winter people go on about how this is the worst one they can remember. Obviously one can remember more softies when they occurred in the past few months rather than the ones that occurred over a year ago.

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP as well is his improvements handling the puck. He no longer gives me a heart attack with boneheaded misplays where he tries to pretend he's Brodeur for a few seconds.
i'll admit right up front that I have no stats to back this up, but for what its worth...

i dont think it was his best year because i "seem to remember" him giving up more costly "softies" then he ever has in the past

while his numbers were excellent, i remeber significatly more bad/weak goals that cost the team points than in years past, and thats why i dont think it was his best season...it wasnt a bad year by any means, just not his best

i guess im trying to say that, while he was statisticlly better, he was a little less "clutch" than he's been in previous seasons.

but like i said, there is nothing to back up my point besides my memory and i certainlly dont have the time to go back and rewatch 70+ games with a clipboard taking stats that will just be refuted anyway because they're subjective by nature

the numbers are absolutely on your side, so i wont try to argue this point any further

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Chief

Calling this Lundqvist's best season is a joke. He led led the NHL in shootout victories last season with 9 wins and only 4 losses. This season he was 3 and 3 (including the season-ending shootout loss with Philly) and he had only the 34th best shootout save percentage this season.

He went from being dominant in the shootout to being less than average. For that reason alone you can't call this his best season.

BTW - Checking the game logs, it looks like Lundqvist was pulled from games 6 times this season and was only pulled 3 times from games last season.

Last edited by Chief: 04-12-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Calling this Lundqvist's best season is a joke. He led led the NHL in shootout victories last season with 9 wins and only 4 losses. This season he was 3 and 3 (including the season-ending shootout loss with Philly) and he had only the 34th best shootout save percentage this season.

He went from being dominant in the shootout to being less than average. For that reason alone you can't call this his best season.

BTW - Checking the game logs, it looks like Lundqvist was pulled from games 6 times this season and was only pulled 3 times from games last season.
This can't be Lundqvist's best season solely because he wasn't good in the shootout, a gimmick? Ridiculous. How about analyzing his play during the actual game of hockey?

Were those shootout loses solely because of him, or because or shootout lineup is utterly awful and can't score? Was he exhausted by the time he got to the shootout because he faced close to 50 shots during the game, like yesterday?

Take a look at the some of the goalies who led the league in shootout wins: Bryzgalov, Quick, Anderson, LaBarbera. Shootout wins mean little in determining goaltending quality over the course of a season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
DutchShamrock

So where does everyone think he falls in Vezina ranking? Obviously Miller and Bryzgalov are the front runners, but who is filling out the top 5? I don't think Howard and Rask got enough work to be considered. Brodeur is always in the conversation. Anderson fell off. Maybe Quick.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
trueblue35

By far his best season since the 2006-2007 season. I will explain why when I get home, but basically it boils down to his development and style of play. We have seen small snippets from season to season (usually at the end) but never have we seen him consistently play the same way since 2006-2007, until now.

trueblue35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

If people actually think that the shootout is a useful barometer for how a goalie should be measured, then that's the best argument I've heard for the shootout having run its course in the NHL.

Quote:
Another useless measuring stick because it was under two different head coaches. Torts is much quicker to pull the goalie than Renney was. Case in point: the loss to Buffalo last week. Not a chance in hell Renney would have pulled him in that game. As for the flip side, remember the 8-5 loss to the Devils last year? Hank played all 60 minutes.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I am a Ranger

No, but I still think he deserves MVP for the team.

I know Gaborik had 42 goals, but I think Hank was the biggest key to the team.

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
NYRskate324

I like save percentage better than GAA because of the fact that GAA treats 16 shot games just like 45 shot games. Plus some goals could have been avoided by better D

NYRskate324 is offline   Reply With Quote