HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dolan is pissed, let's hope this brings changes

Old
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The more things change........

Take a leave of absence from this place, only to return and see that not much has changed.
You take a leave of absence and you still have 5000 more posts than me.

And, yes, an angry Dolan leaves me with a chilling sense of deja vu.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5076287

Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan wore a look of disgust as he sauntered out of the bowels of the Wachovia Center after the game. History has shown that when Dolan is angry, the heads of his Garden employees tend to roll.

Not really. He kept Isiah Thomas for like 5 years. I'm sure he was angry about the Knicks suckage every year of his awful tenure.
'lil jimmy found out his limo driver was going to be 15 mins late

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Ok, no worries. But I was interested in seeing more reasons why he SHOULD be the GM other than "hes the WC GM" and "he led us to a cup".
Basically, for me...

SHOULD:
  • Great Hockey Mind
  • Knows how to Win
  • Loves the Rangers
  • "El Capitaine"
  • More media friendly than Sather

SHOULDN'T:
  • No worthwhile experience
  • Unproven track record
  • Cries a lot
  • More media friendly than Sather
I say if Sather steps down, we should give the interim role to either Clark or Gordon, see how Messier does at the WC, give him another year under the wing of a GM, and just see what happens. If he does well, I'd love to see him hired, but if he ***** the bed, we still have a great hockey guy running the team (Clark). It can't hurt, no?

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who are you?
Yeah, yeah.....

Can only stay away so long from this place....

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You take a leave of absence and you still have 5000 more posts than me.

And, yes, an angry Dolan leaves me with a chilling sense of deja vu.
The dark 7 years offered all of us lots to complain about.

So far, I have not had the impression that there is much difference between an angry Dolan and an apathetic one.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/12065470569\

Lots of speculation in New York about Sather's future. Only Slats knows what's going to happen. One scenario includes Risebrough staying

risebrough was the former wild gm, right?
Yes, and apparent front runner for the Tampa job. I don't think he'll take the job in Tampa, personally.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
The dark 7 years offered all of us lots to complain about.

So far, I have not had the impression that there is much difference between an angry Dolan and an apathetic one.
An angry Dolan brought us an awful summer of free agent signings and Glen Sather; an apathetic Dolan stayed away for the last four years. The mistakes under an angry Dolan have the potential for far greater damage IMO.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
An angry Dolan brought us an awful summer of free agent signings and Glen Sather; an apathetic Dolan stayed away for the last four years. The mistakes under an angry Dolan have the potential for far greater damage IMO.
True. Net-net, angry or apathetic, we still have a net of how many playoff victories under him?

He is minimized by the cap. So he can only do so much. If in anger it means that Redden and Rozsival are subtracted, that may not be such a bad thing. It is far too much to hope that Sather is fired as well.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
True. Net-net, angry or apathetic, we still have a net of how many playoff victories under him?

He is minimized by the cap. So he can only do so much. If in anger it means that Redden and Rozsival are subtracted, that may not be such a bad thing. It is far too much to hope that Sather is fired as well.
I don't see anyway Dolan fires Sather. Sather will simply lose the title of GM, and remain President while keeping his cushy office.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
I don't see anyway Dolan fires Sather. Sather will simply lose the title of GM, and remain President while keeping his cushy office.
would that prevent him from being involved in free agent signings? cause then its A-okay with me

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
absolutely correct. while we all want sather fired the truth is he brings fans to the stadiums, hes a very good businessman, and hes far to valuable of an opinion on trades than anyone else... obviously he's the guy that murks the other gm's in trades.

i want him to step down as gm but stay as president.

i dont know about messier as gm. he's not too bright. lemiuex atleast knows how to structure a team, i dont know if i can say the same about messier. first thing is first, bring in gretzky for player development and scouting. the guy has an eye for talent. look at how he left phoenix for gods sake! he may not be a coach but he sure knows how to pick them.

second thing... fire torts or atleast demote him to conditioning coach. maybe schoenfeld can have a trial run, if not then an experienced coach with a history of success. not a reclamation project like john tortorella.

third thing. no interim gm. hire one right away that will restructure this team like it is meant to. someone similar in terms to mike tannenbaum for the jets.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
while we all want sather fired the truth is he brings fans to the stadiums,
How excactly does he do that?
Quote:
hes a very good businessman, and hes far to valuable of an opinion on trades than anyone else... obviously he's the guy that murks the other gm's in trades.
What is his business acumen? And this is the same valuable opinion that signed Redden & Rozsival to their contracts, right?

Old
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
How excactly does he do that?

What is his business acumen? And this is the same valuable opinion that signed Redden & Rozsival to their contracts, right?
hey dont get me wrong here, i dislike sather.

i dont know how sather does it but look at any given rangers game during the season... chances are it is sold out.

and opinion in trades. never said anything about signing free agents. he's awful at that. ultimately he wont have the final decision but if the gm was in a jam and needed a trade sather's opinion would be valuable...

this is the guy who traded gomez for higgins and a prospect. traded anson carter for jagr. not to mention has had a relatively successful time with recent drafts.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
dedalus

Quote:
this is the guy who traded gomez for higgins and a prospect. traded anson carter for jagr. not to mention has had a relatively successful time with recent drafts.
He's also the guy who traded Brendl, Hlavac, Jonsson, and a 3rd for Lindros.

And he's the guy who traded a 1st for Bure.

His trading record is HARDLY without blemishes.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Lone Ranger

Quote:
hey dont get me wrong here, i dislike sather.

i dont know how sather does it but look at any given rangers game during the season... chances are it is sold out.

and opinion in trades. never said anything about signing free agents. he's awful at that. ultimately he wont have the final decision but if the gm was in a jam and needed a trade sather's opinion would be valuable...

In my estimation, the games are sold-out in spite of Sather, not because of him. The Rangers have an incredibly loyal fan-base, which has been steeled through years of disappointment. Sather getting fired would be a huge positive for the future of this organization.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
In my estimation, the games are sold-out in spite of Sather, not because of him. The Rangers have an incredibly loyal fan-base, which has been steeled through years of disappointment. Sather getting fired would be a huge positive for the future of this organization.
yes... but its not realistic. i'm making a case for why he's gonna stay realistically in the eyes of dolan.

personally i hate him as a gm. i'd love to see him gone, but it is not happening.

we can go on and on about his negatives... holik to a 9 mill per year contract. lindros for what he was traded for even tho in hindsight it wasnt all too much. redden, rosival, the entire goalie situation before henrik... then again there are some positives that have occurred more realistically.

dolan wont recognize the fan support due to their allegiance to the team. sather will make it a point that he brought those fans into the stadium, and at least for this year and for a few more years in the foreseeable future i dont see sather being let go.

Old
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
fixed.

In all honestly I think Torts is going to go while Sather stays. Sather will probably use the "I got us Gaborik and we still didn't make the playoffs" argument to his advantage.
I thought you were going to say ; "I got us Gaborik and Torts didn't use him in the shootout & wel didn't make the playoffs."

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
He's also the guy who traded Brendl, Hlavac, Jonsson, and a 3rd for Lindros.

And he's the guy who traded a 1st for Bure.

His trading record is HARDLY without blemishes.
Yup. All you need to do is look back at all the trades he made at the deadline in 2004. For all those trades, we got almost nothing to show for them.

Sather is at his best when trading away his mistakes, because the sheer act of getting rid of them is a win, regardless of the return.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
That nothing to do with Sather. They were sold out under Muckler as well.
Quote:
not to mention has had a relatively successful time with recent drafts.
Jessiman????? In his decade here, how many top-6 forwards have been developed?
Quote:
With track record, I would categorize his opinion as anything but valuable.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I watched the Wild rot under Risebrough. He was pushed out by the new owner and he left quite a mess. Worst prospect list in the NHL, a poorly managed salary cap (worse than New York) and a bunch of front office people who celerbated his demise. I'd MUCH rather have Messier.

But more importantly, what about those JD rumors circulating? Anyone praying on that one?

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
TomLaidlaw

It amazes me that people commend Sather for trading away his mistakes. That is like me throwing a molotov cocktail through someones window. Waiting 10 minutes, then calling the fire department. Should I be commended for helping put out a fire I created? It is better than allowing the building to burn to the ground but I shouldn't be commended.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I watched the Wild rot under Risebrough. He was pushed out by the new owner and he left quite a mess. Worst prospect list in the NHL, a poorly managed salary cap (worse than New York) and a bunch of front office people who celerbated his demise. I'd MUCH rather have Messier.

But more importantly, what about those JD rumors circulating? Anyone praying on that one?
I love JD, but come on, the guys isn't exactly enjoying smashing success in St. Louis. I say we steal the assistant GM from a place like Detroit. Look at the perennially successful organizations and find someone to steal from their front offices.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:24 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Dreger seems to be tweeting about sather alot recently(More than he ever has actually).Maybe there's more going on then people think.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:34 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I wonder how much effect that rally has on Sather's (potential) firing. Did it raise some eyebrows to a situation that would have not been given much scrutiny by ownership otherwise. What I'm saying is, If the rally didn't happen but everything else panned out exactly the same, would Dolan's future actions be any different?

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

DOLAN SMASH

Hopefully. One can hope.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote