HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stauffer the apologist, shame on you

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Fans - great....

City - great...

Management - sucks....

Why do I agree 100% with Souray.........
I blame Mikhnov and Souray's clever PR move in praising the first two.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:05 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Well, I think you make a valid point, and as I say, I appreciate the honesty. If Chris Pronger had said, "honestly, I enjoyed the city and I loved the fans, but it's just not a good fit for my family," I think people would have been a bit more receptive. Souray is honest, but maybe a bit too honest. If that's how you feel, fine, but share that with the team's management. Don't go to a journalist and say something that will seriously hurt the team's perception in the public at a time when they can scarcely afford it... however true it may be.

It's like a teenager who works at Safeway and decides one day he doesn't like working there anymore. Instead of telling his bosses why and giving his two weeks notice, he steals a bunch of groceries and stops showing up all of a sudden without any notice. There's nothing professional about it at all.
Your position appears predicated on the fact that the Oilers are blindsided by this and that Souray never "told his bosses" about his problem. What makes you think the Oilers were blindsided here?

Still, I think where we differ is that you think the team's public perception can scarcely afford something like this now. I think that the circumstances of now actually make a public airing of grievances quite necessary. There is no more important time for something like this to be made very public.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Fans - great....

City - great...

Management - sucks....

Why do I agree 100% with Souray.........
I respect Souray for saving the city from being bombarded by how much it sucks to live here comments by the MSM.. Never mind, I forgot how the MSM works for a second. They will twist it to make it sound as if nobody wants to come to Edmonton.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:23 PM
CorpseFX

what do you care what Bob Stauffer says if you already know the "correct perspective" of the situation?

cause you think journalism holds up to "objective integrity". yeah... right.

that said, Souray's decision to come out this way has just as much agenda. the fact you actually buy the "i love the fans" crap is beyond epic. thats all lip service for paying for his kids and his high standard of living.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Stauffer might have a point.

I like Souray as a person and part of me really appreciates his honesty, especially in light of the Pronger fiasco. But make no mistake: The way Souray behaved cannot be described as "professional." If he felt as strongly as he did, he should have had his agent put in a call to Patrick LaForge, or someone in a non-hockey related role, explaining the seriousness of the situation. Going public with his dissatisfaction really served no purpose except to hurt the franchise he supposedly used to love.
You guys are crazy to believe that he didn't do this. Around the time he announced that he would waive his NTC, he was pressuring management to make the move he asked for. How long ago did he ask? Maybe when initial rumors percolated, like over a year ago.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Kentuckycowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Really? That's surprising, because you're coming across as one.
That's fine if I am but my reaction is not knee jerk, it is the culmination of years and years of players being alienated and the bad rep that the team has. If you are not frustrated with management then I would guess you are either a)blind or b)ignorant or c) both.

Fact is I am a season ticket holder so your assertion that I am bandwagon goes out the window right there. Also, using the most famouse example of propaganda to call out the oilers is fair, I am using historical facts to make a point and the fact that you missed this says more about how much you have the blinders on than it does about my knee jerk reaction.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckycowboy View Post
That's fine if I am but my reaction is not knee jerk, it is the culmination of years and years of players being alienated and the bad rep that the team has. If you are not frustrated with management then I would guess you are either a)blind or b)ignorant or c) both.
No it means you're frustrated, but also that you understand that things aren't going to change over night, ie not have a knee jerk over reaction.

Quote:
Fact is I am a season ticket holder so your assertion that I am bandwagon goes out the window right there. Also, using the most famouse example of propaganda to call out the oilers is fair, I am using historical facts to make a point and the fact that you missed this says more about how much you have the blinders on than it does about my knee jerk reaction.
Hardly, there are plenty of season ticket holds who are Bandwagoners, because it's still sort of one of the "in" things to do.

Closed Thread