HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

H. Sedin for Hart; Kesler for Selke

Old
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Elliot Friedman also doesn't have a vote (as he noted in his blog). Awfully grey area though between a writer and TV journalist. Cox, Simmons and Farber are on TV weekly but are 'writers.'
You essentially have to be a writer first and foremost to be a member of the PHWA. McKenzie and Friedman are TV personalities who happen to write.

That's why I'm not going to hold out too much hope for Henrik - it's one thing to have these full time national media personalities on your side but it's another to have local writers for all the different teams.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
L4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Yeah. He's an easterner, not bad in and of itself, but he's said some pretty stupid stuff about the Canucks in the past. Besides, he's probably safely in bed amid the glow of his Donald Duck night light by the time the puck is even dropped on most Canucks games.
Cox is a professional troll (literally, he is paid to troll).

L4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Didn't I read somewhere that Cox actually voted for Henrik? I seem to recall reading that and it shot my eyebrows up into my hairline.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
FruityPants3*

It may seem silly, but what I think will put Henrik over the top is the Eastern media might have got caught up in the Art Ross drama, actually WATCHED a Canucks game, and that just happened to be the amazing 4 point effort, goal of the year, and one of the best efforts of his career on Saturday. That's pretty good lasting impression to leave in every voter's mind.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Sounds like he is voting Crosby because Hank has Daniel

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...ng-debate.html
This is honestly what I'm worried about. The western media will be split up the middle because half of the asshats that cover the west are so blindly bitter-set against the Canucks they won't vote for Henrik.

The East will be divided amongst those who catch a few western games, and those that don't.

I'm thinking because of this Crosby takes it with Henrik a close second.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Rob Zepp

Why care so much about an award that is essentially a popularity contest won by whomever wows the Eastern media? Nice to win but doubt Henrik cares anywhere to the entent some of you making cases one way or other seem to.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

He raises a good point though. Crosby is doing everything solo.

04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

At ES yes, PP has arguably the second best center in the game riding shotgun with him.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Well sort of anyway. Crosby's point totals with Malkin out of the lineup are terrible. His road points totals are dreadful as well. People made a big deal about Kesler's road numbers earlier in the year and Crosby's are about the same.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Outside of the predictable threads on HF, has Crosby really been getting any buzz for the Hart trophy? Besides that Cox column, everything I've heard on TV or read online so far posted by the "national media" (both for Canada and the USA) has Sedin or one of the goalies as their Hart picks. Alan Muir and Jim Kelley at CNNSI both picked Henrik, so did LeBrun at ESPN, etc. He seems to have by far the most buzz at the moment, but again that could just be selective reading.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
SideRivals76*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
At ES yes, PP has arguably the second best center in the game riding shotgun with him.
I don't think it's arguable. Though when Malkin is on his game he's better than Crosby.

SideRivals76* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
VanEric

Crosby also had 17 points in 6 games against the NY Islanders. Come on now. That's absurd. Malkin has always awoken from his slumber whenever Crosby has gone down.

I'd have more faith in Malkin being able to carry the load offensively if Crosby went down than I would Daniel Sedin being able to carry it for the Canucks if Henrik had gone down.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
EvoX

Sorry but I just don't see why Ovechkin should be put on the list for Hart.
He has a great season, but not MVP season.
Crosby beats him in goals
Hank beats him in points
Miller beats him in terms of MVP to the team

Henrik is the only reason canucks gets 100+ points this season while Luongo is having an off year, monster road trips + numerous significant injuries in our ine up

Miller is the reason Buffale being consider as cup contender. He is definitly the best goalie this NHL season + Olympic and no doubt he will win Vezina

Crosby.. NHL golden boy, 5 points in his last game, making a push for Rocket + Art Ross, Eatern media bias

On the other hand, the Captials played execellent without Ovechkin, not that the caps doesn't need him, but at least missing Ovie doesn't hurt their chances of winning hockey game as much as Canucks missing Henrik or Buffale missing Miller.

Remember, Ovechike was suspended couple games as well

EvoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Another anti-Sedin article from the National Post, again focusing on his plethora of assists. This guy (or girl...Kelly is a somewhat ambiguous name) even goes so far as to say Sedin benefited from the liberal awarding of assists by officials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Post
This will probably upset all those people in Vancouver with posters of Henrik Sedin on their bedroom walls -- and some kids too -- but there's a distinct odor to a scoring championship that gets settled on the basis of four assists in the final game.
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...n-the-nhl.aspx

Apparently there is also another 'award-winning' Ken Campbell story in The Hockey News ranking Sedin outside of the top 15 players in the league because Sedin scores too many 'easy points' when games don't matter.

EDIT: Second hilarious Ken Campbell article (http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ellnomics.html) ; haha, Campbellnomics my ass.

Last edited by Bobby Lou: 04-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Another anti-Sedin article from the National Post, again focusing on his plethora of assists. This guy (or girl...Kelly is a somewhat ambiguous name) even goes so far as to say Sedin benefited from the liberal awarding of assists by officials...
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...n-the-nhl.aspx
He is guy... albeit one that apparently knows little about hockey since he usually writes on politics and economics:
Quote:
Kelly McParland has been toiling in the ranks of journalism for more than 30 years. As a callow youth he endured a brief but painful experience at the Toronto Star, from which he still carries the scars. He subsequently fled the country, spending a decade at publications in London, Hong Kong and Washington D.C. before returning to Canada thanks to gainful employment at the Financial Post, and has worked at the National Post since it was just a gleam in Conrad Black's eye.

He says in the article:
Quote:
Give me a break. Assists are handed out at the discretion of the referee. A generous referee can push a player up the scoring ranks on whim alone.
So what happens? Some ref gives Sedin four assists in his last game and he ends up on top.
What a maroon. In the NHL referees do not award assists that is done by the Official Scorer as the NHL Rule Book mandates.
Quote:
78.1 Goals and Assists - It is the responsibility of the Official Scorer to award goals and assists, and his decision in this respect is final, notwithstanding the report of the Referee or any other game official. The use of video replay to verify the proper awarding of a goal or an assist is essential. Such awards shall be made or withheld strictly in accordance with the provisions of this rule. Therefore, it is essential that the Official Scorer be thoroughly familiar with every aspect of this rule; be alert to observe all actions which could affect the awarding of a goal or assist; and, above all, give or withhold awards with absolute impartiality.
Stick to your articles extolling the virtues of Michael Ignatieff, the value of road tolls in Ontario, etc. Kelly because you are quite simply clueless about the NHL.
Quote:
Apparently there is also another 'award-winning' Ken Campbell story in The Hockey News ranking Sedin outside of the top 15 players in the league because Sedin scores too many 'easy points' when games don't matter.

EDIT: Second hilarious Ken Campbell article (http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ellnomics.html) ; haha, Campbellnomics my ass.
The Hockey News ceased to be relevant a number of years ago.

Campbellnomics sound a lot like Reaganomics and they never made any sense either.

Since the Canucks seldom score the first goal the "system" puts Sedin at an immediate disadvantage and Henrik seldom participates in a shootout - mind you those goals are not counted Kenny so I am unsure why you would factor them in.

And assists worth half a point????

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Now that's hilarious. You would be more hard pressed to find a player in the league whose first or second assists were more instrumental in manufacturing a goal. A second assist by Henrik is often the one that leads directly to the scoring chance because it often creates a 2 on 1 down low or creates a back door opportunity.

It's a lot different than, say, chipping the puck up to Ovechkin at the red line and have him come in on two players and score.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Now that's hilarious. You would be more hard pressed to find a player in the league whose first or second assists were more instrumental in manufacturing a goal. A second assist by Henrik is often the one that leads directly to the scoring chance because it often creates a 2 on 1 down low or creates a back door opportunity.

It's a lot different than, say, chipping the puck up to Ovechkin at the red line and have him come in on two players and score.
That article contained a lot of valuable information, such as AO or Crosby lead the league in points from the start of the season until the end when some ref started handing out random points.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
It may seem silly, but what I think will put Henrik over the top is the Eastern media might have got caught up in the Art Ross drama, actually WATCHED a Canucks game, and that just happened to be the amazing 4 point effort, goal of the year, and one of the best efforts of his career on Saturday. That's pretty good lasting impression to leave in every voter's mind.
I don't think it's silly. Think it's a good point and good that it happened that way. It would have been better if Hank played in the final game of the season and lit it up then though.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

IMHO the west was better this year so it's not that surprising to see inflated scoring in the east.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote