HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Schoenfeld has gotta go

Old
04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Jim Schoenfeld has gotta go

When Don Maloney was the Rangers AGM,the post lockout Rangers didn't sign big ticket free agents. Maloney would constantly harp on not committing the same mistakes of the past. As soon as DM left as AGM,the Rangers went back to their big ticket and free spending ways. Jim Schoenfeld replaced Maloney as the Rangers AGM.

Quote:
GOOD SCHO: Having been a key part of the Rangers' decision-making process in signing Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, former Devils coach Jim Schoenfeld is expected to be named the Rangers' assistant GM in the next few days. Schoenfeld will remain the GM of the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford, but will relinquish his duties as the farm team's head coach.
John Dellapina
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz0kt5Buqun

Schoenfeld also played a big role in hiring John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan. Torts was his top assistant with the Coyotes. Sullivan played for them in Phoenix. Schoeny works with the defensemen in practice. Matt Gilroy regressed. Which defenseman got better under his tutelage?

When Larry Robinson started working the Devils D in 1993,he made the old guys like Stevens,Daneyko and Driver better players. He could sell ice to the eskimos when it comes to teaching D men.

Schoeny hired Ken Gernander as Hartford coach and JJ Daigneault as the assistant. Daigneault played for Schoeny in Phoenix. Have any of the Rangers young D gotten better under Daigneault? Sanguinetti completed his 2nd pro season and the Rangers don't know what they have with him. When Mike Sauer is in one piece,is he ready?Completed his 3rd pro season.

Schoeny has his fingerprints on both coaching staffs. They both missed the playoffs. Look it up. They are his guys. Sather has zero connections with any of them before they joined the organization. Hartford is a mess.

Schoeny hardly ever scouted games on the road before joining the Rangers staff as an assistant coach in addition to his AGM duties. He would sit with Sather just watching games while Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton ran the personnel departments. He still just sits with Sather watching games.

People want this joker to replace Sather.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Agree. Schoeny seems to have become the organizations floater, with no real impact or purpose.

There is a person in every aspect of this organization who does a specific role better than he does.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Schoeney does need to go. I'd like to bring in some younger, fresher faces to help bring in a renewed perspective.

Let's get rid of Sully while we're at it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When Don Maloney was the Rangers AGM,the post lockout Rangers didn't sign big ticket free agents. Maloney would constantly harp on not committing the same mistakes of the past. As soon as DM left as AGM,the Rangers went back to their big ticket and free spending ways. Jim Schoenfeld replaced Maloney as the Rangers AGM.

Schoenfeld also played a big role in hiring John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan. Torts was his top assistant with the Coyotes. Sullivan played for them in Phoenix. Schoeny works with the defensemen in practice. Matt Gilroy regressed. Which defenseman got better under his tutelage?

When Larry Robinson started working the Devils D in 1993,he made the old guys like Stevens,Daneyko and Driver better players. He could sell ice to the eskimos when it comes to teaching D men.

Schoeny hired Ken Gernander as Hartford coach and JJ Daigneault as the assistant. Daigneault played for Schoeny in Phoenix. Have any of the Rangers young D gotten better under Daigneault? Sanguinetti completed his 2nd pro season and the Rangers don't know what they have with him. When Mike Sauer is in one piece,is he ready?Completed his 3rd pro season.

Schoeny has his fingerprints on both coaching staffs. They both missed the playoffs. Look it up. They are his guys. Sather has zero connections with any of them before they joined the organization. Hartford is a mess.

Schoeny hardly ever scouted games on the road before joining the Rangers staff as an assistant coach in addition to his AGM duties. He would sit with Sather just watching games while Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton ran the personnel departments. He still just sits with Sather watching games.

Schoenfeld is arguably the most overrated hockey "mind" in the business.

His whole reputation is based off that miracle Devils run in 1988, which was all because of John Maclean and Sean Burke.

Schoenfeld can mess up a cup of coffey

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Everyone needs to go.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
BwayBshirt

I feel Schoenfeld should go, but I like the decision to hire Torts.

Gernander, as sentimental as he means to the 'Pack, he's not someone I trust nurturing the prospects in the pipeline there.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
TomLaidlaw

"Have another doughnut ya fat pig!!!!"

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Drop everyone but Gordie.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Schoeny works with the defensemen in practice. Matt Gilroy regressed. Which defenseman got better under his tutelage?

I would say all the young D got better this season.

Staal - career year, see thread about Staal being statistically best D man.

Gilroy - 1st year, making adjustment, started ok, slowed down, picked it up, took a seat. Coming along.

DZ - Amazing 1st year player. Physical, great passer, tons of potential.

I would actually also say the vets got better as the season came to a head. Rozy got a ton better, Redden - who knows maybe it could have been worse, Girardi even looked good yesterday.

I don't know much about HFD so I'll confine my comments to the NHL club. I do know there were many injuries and that some players take longer to develop than others.

Speaking about the team and the team culture - Schoenfeld is another "play 'em tough" kind of coach. I like that about him, Sully and Torts. I think it helps the players to see that at each level of the organization, they are expected to play with an edge.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post

Gilroy - 1st year, making adjustment, started ok, slowed down, picked it up, took a seat. Coming along.

I would actually also say the vets got better as the season came to a head. Rozy got a ton better, Redden - who knows maybe it could have been worse, Girardi even looked good yesterday.

I don't know much about HFD so I'll confine my comments to the NHL club. I do know there were many injuries and that some players take longer to develop than others.

Speaking about the team and the team culture - Schoenfeld is another "play 'em tough" kind of coach. I like that about him, Sully and Torts. I think it helps the players to see that at each level of the organization, they are expected to play with an edge.
Too early to tell with Gilroy.

04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I can only agree with Staal.

Gilroy, while early, didnt show too much to get excited about in my opinion. Physically, he had no business even being in the NHL.

In contrast, you can see the tools with Del Zotto. He had a lot of trouble on the defensive side of the puck, but hes a teenager so he gets a pass.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

make Gordie Clark the AGM, and make Steve Yzerman the GM.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
It will never happen but I LOVE this idea.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
SIGN ME UP QUICKKKKKKKKKKK

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Ranger Angst

When I think of Schoenfeld ; I remember the beating Fotiu gave him.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Salz

what exactly makes yzerman more qualified than messier? his ability to put together the canadian hockey team? ha!

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
what exactly makes yzerman more qualified than messier? his ability to put together the canadian hockey team? ha!
Yzerman's been in the Red Wings' front office since 2006. He has 3 years of experience over Messier.

Yzerman's being mentored by the likes of Ken Holland, one of the best GMs in the game currently, while Messier is being tutored by an old fossil who hasn't won jack since 1990.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

There is zero chance Yzerman comes to NY. Absolute zero. Not with Messier hovering around.

I'd love to just give the keys to Gordie Clark because he's the one who actually knows what he's doing.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Schoenfeld is arguably the most overrated hockey "mind" in the business.
Glen Sather says hello.

But yeah, this clown should be fired, too. Just let Gorton and Clark run the show.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Glen Sather says hello.

But yeah, this clown should be fired, too. Just let Gorton and Clark run the show.
From your lips to Dolan's ears...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
There is zero chance Yzerman comes to NY
I'd LOVE to have Stevie Y here. But yeah, I agree.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I think it would be a fair consensus if you said everyone in the organization needs to be canned, including the concessions folk. Don't get salty at me for telling you to get the hell out of the way when it's obvious your horridly overpriced cotton candy is blocking the view from my horridly overpriced seat.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

I am going to be pretty pissed off if one of Sangs/McDonagh/Sauer is blocked because of Gilroy. He is Rico Fata on defense. It's no surprise to me that our win streak coincided with his benching.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Yzerman's been in the Red Wings' front office since 2006. He has 3 years of experience over Messier.

Yzerman's being mentored by the likes of Ken Holland, one of the best GMs in the game currently, while Messier is being tutored by an old fossil who hasn't won jack since 1990.
yep. Yzerman has all the credentials I would be looking for in a GM. Hes respected by his peers, and hes been mentored in basically the best hockey environment in the NHL.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Ola

Quote:

He should go for sure.

There is no recipe for disaster as effective as a "old school mentality" in the game of hockey today.

And whats worse is that people accociate old school with physical hockey. And therefor are bond to commit that mistake.

It could be true that old school types demands a more physical style of hockey. But they also commit a lot of mistakes that you don't get by with in the game today. I mean, what is it to like with loosing the puck in the neutralzone? Whats attractive with not being able to enter the attacking zone? I've never seen a team hit so little as we have in some games with Torts behind the bench. Why? You can't forecheck hard if you are chasing the puck in your own end. There is nothing old school about that.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote