HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McKenzie - Would vote Henrik for Hart if he had a vote

Old
04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Awesomesauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
The Caps have proved that they can win without Ovy in the lineup. Not exactly the definition of an MVP.
I think it goes well beyond that, I love Ovechkin, just as I loved both Pavel Bure, and Guy Lafluer. But realistically I know that Bure and Lafluer weren't as good as people like to suggest, they were enormously entertaining players and so many people who are incapable of being rational about players they like build them up to be better then they are. Ovechkin is just that type of player.

If my goal was strictly winning, Ovechkin wouldn't be in my top 5 in the league right now and maybe not even in my top 10.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Anyways, you seemed to have missed the point - I'm not saying LA will win (I have money on the Canucks, in fact), just saying if somebody picks LA as an upset they aren't stupid/crazy/drunk/etc.
True. If the Kings are 100% 'on' they are REALLY tough to beat. However, in the last games they played in the regular season, they were no where near being 'on'.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Shareefruck

I rarely go so far against Canuck-homerism like this, but...

I think arguably, the Kings are probably the favorite in this series.
Also, I still think Crosby is better defensively than Henrik.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Mckenzie is very credible and influential....although LOL he says he doesn't have a vote.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

I share your sentiments. From what i've seen of doughty in this season and the olympics, ill be shocked if hes not going to be a major factor in this series.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
tantalum

The canucks are the favourites without a doubt. Better stats in essentially every team category.

Individually the canucks should be deeper though they admittedly do not have a Doughty. However, beyond Doughty there isn't much to fear on the Kings blueline. Both goaltenders are struggling but I'd be more confident with Luongo in net than Quick.

As I said there is no doubt the canucks are the favourite going into this series.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:55 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:

What are you smoking? I understand that the Kings are a good team and that this isn't going to be a cake walk series by any means, but to suggest they're favourites is pretty delusional. Yes, the Kings finished a mere 2 points below the Canucks but that is almost entirely due to the parity that exists in today's NHL. Head to head, the Canucks are a superior team to the Kings.

Again, it won't be a cake walk and it would not be far-fetched in the slightest to suggest the Kings could win this series. Make no mistake, though, the Kings are the underdogs here.

Yet another case of the infamous inferiority complex... I know Canucks fans are used to being disappointed but it's really getting annoying. Hank won the Art Ross this year when most people here didn't even think he could reach 90. Time to start believing already, folks.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:

And this is coming from someone who LOVES Crosby. The Sedins are the most underrated defensive forwards in the game today. Bar none and by a distance.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
The canucks are the favourites without a doubt. Better stats in essentially every team category.

Individually the canucks should be deeper though they admittedly do not have a Doughty. However, beyond Doughty there isn't much to fear on the Kings blueline. Both goaltenders are struggling but I'd be more confident with Luongo in net than Quick.

As I said there is no doubt the canucks are the favourite going into this series.
Yes, this seems fairly obvious to me as well. I picked LA as my dark horse, and I wonder about our defense like everyone else BUT it would require a fairly odd analysis to suggest that LA should be better then 50% against us considering we have owned them for most of the season with what have often been half hearted efforts.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Agent007

Once again it comes down to an old cliche....if the Canucks best players are their best players then they'll win this series.

Our forward our produced their forwards at each and every position. Sure Doughty is the best defencemen in the series but Luongo should be the best goaltender and it really shouldn't even be that close considering the fact that Quick hasn't established himself as a top notch goaltender in the league yet.

It'll go down to 6 or 7 games and in a series like that who knows what can happen.

Let's just hope that our best players play as good as they can because if they do then we likely win this series.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:48 AM
CallMeJerry

It's sad that a almost universally respected class act like Bob McKenzie doesn't have a vote. Is it just the print media? Is there a source where we can get a list of the eligible voters. It'd be interesting to see the east/west breakdown. Also interesting to see how many absolute greasy clowns (Strachan, Cox, Simmons, etc) get a vote.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:47 AM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
I'm not sure the Canucks defense will be able to withstand LA's offensive depth, I think that's the main reason why the Canucks aren't heavy favorites.

Just my $0.02.
I dont think you looked at offences very well canucks 1st and 2nd line have been huge this season LA needs to handle Vancouvers depth really LA was a ways behind in goals for .

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:49 AM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Michael Farber voted for Ovechkin. He did vote for Henrik as the #1 centre for all star

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...lot/index.html

His other votes are Keith (Norris), Myers (Calder), Lidstrom (Lady Byng) and Datsyuk (Selke).

Kesler wasn't even in his top 5 for Selke
You know its almost laughable NHL writers with votes should have to prove watching at least 20 games of each team just to have basis of who is who what they are like and how they play oh and to know Vancouver has a Kesler lol.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
Can't believe he picked the Kings.

Speaking of Toronto media that watch the Canucks twice a year, Damien Cox picked Vancouver to sweep.
After the Canucks swept the Blues in the first round, some commentators are bound to pick us for a sweep again, just because they've done it in recent history. For what it's worth, I picked the Canucks for the sweep last year, and my friends thought I was a bit crazy, until the series played out...

This series, I just don't see a sweep happening. I think that LA will likely at least win one of game 3 or game 4 in their own building given the Canucks sub .500 road record, but I don't see why it would go longer than 5 or 6 games at most. Vancouver has played them well, save that one off night. I think we'll beat them by two or three goal margins in our building, and have tighter games in LA. Also, travel isn't going to be as big a factor in this series as it would have been if we had played Nashville or Detroit. Canucks in 5

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
cc

the Kings remind me a little like Chicago from last year... talented up front and a couple of dmen that can make a huge difference in the series. It really depends on Luongo. I remember that the Canucks also did very well against Chicago in the regular season last year. It's a whole different ball game in the playoffs.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
I think both Henrik and I would prefer if he didn't win the Hart but that they beat LA.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
What are you smoking? I understand that the Kings are a good team and that this isn't going to be a cake walk series by any means, but to suggest they're favourites is pretty delusional. Yes, the Kings finished a mere 2 points below the Canucks but that is almost entirely due to the parity that exists in today's NHL. Head to head, the Canucks are a superior team to the Kings.

Again, it won't be a cake walk and it would not be far-fetched in the slightest to suggest the Kings could win this series. Make no mistake, though, the Kings are the underdogs here.

Yet another case of the infamous inferiority complex... I know Canucks fans are used to being disappointed but it's really getting annoying. Hank won the Art Ross this year when most people here didn't even think he could reach 90. Time to start believing already, folks.
Are we not allowed to have a raised eyebrow over our own team here? I hope they do well too, but alot of question-marks need to be answered for our team to be successful, IMO. The Canucks have not looked very sharp against tight competition for a while now. It's easy to look at the records/numbers (which are actually pretty damn close) and declare us as the favorites, but alot of that was built up when Mitchell was still in the lineup.

This team needs to refocus and play up to their ability before I'm comfortable declaring them favorites against a very solid LA team, IMO.

IF Luongo pulls it together and the defense is able to play up to their potential, it isn't very close, IMO, but that hasn't been anywhere near the case as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post

And this is coming from someone who LOVES Crosby. The Sedins are the most underrated defensive forwards in the game today. Bar none and by a distance.
I just disagree. The Sedins are obviously very solid defensively, and most of that comes from the ability to keep the opposition in the other end, but they haven't really improved in that area since a couple years ago, and this year, while they're putting up tons of points and hasn't been hurt by it, it looks like they look a little more lost than usual when they're defending in their own end. Burrows has helped them look alot better in their own end than they have been, IMO.

As much as I like the Sedins and as good defensively as I think they are (not as much as you do though), I've just been that impressed with how much Crosby has amped up his defensive game.

Disagree if you want but I don't understand why either of you would consider those far-fetched opinions.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-14-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote