HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eight Steps To Fix Flunking Rangers

Old
04-13-2010, 05:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Eight Steps To Fix Flunking Rangers

Quote:
So what should the Rangers do, assuming that Sather and Tortorella remain?

1. Restructure the front office so that Sather's replacement is in place next year as his assistant. If it's Mark Messier, then send him on the road next year to scout. If it's not going to be Messier, let him know now and hire someone else.

2. Jim Schoenfeld is either the assistant coach or assistant GM. Call me crazy, but it seems as if the GM of the AHL Wolf Pack (part of the assistant GM's job description) should actually watch the Wolf Pack play here and there.

3. If Ken Gernander is not a candidate to become the next head coach of the Rangers, he cannot be coach of the Wolf Pack. The AHL coaching job is not a reward for years of meritorious service.

4. With the exception of role players such as a veteran seventh defenseman, stay away from the free-agent market and stay away from trading for fading veterans with onerous contracts.

5. Stay the course. Do not engage in yet another extreme makeover that would see the roster turned over for the third straight summer. There can be neither stability nor structure without continuity. Nurture the core that includes Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Matt Gilroy, Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Brandon Prust, Jody Shelley and P.A. Parenteau.

6. Draft selections have improved immeasurably since the hiring of Gordie Clark to run the player personnel department. The Rangers may have something in Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh (a trade acquisition), Evgeny Grachev, Dale Weise and Ryan Bourque. Trust Clark's judgment and consider him for the post of assistant GM/GM in waiting.

7. Repeat No. 5, over and over and over again. There is no quick fix on the horizon. In other words, no Sheldon Souray, no Vincent Lecavalier, no Patrick Marleau, no Joe Thornton, no Brad Richards, no Pavol Demitra.

8. Do not even think about raising season-ticket prices.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0kyTTjEDp

Agree with everything.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
5. Stay the course. Do not engage in yet another extreme makeover that would see the roster turned over for the third straight summer. There can be neither stability nor structure without continuity. Nurture the core that includes Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Matt Gilroy, Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Brandon Prust, Jody Shelley and P.A. Parenteau.
Ummm...PA Parenteau, a core member...no. And, I think Gilroy gets moved and replaced by Sanguinetti.

Legit core members...Henke, Staal, MDZ, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and probably Prust. No one else on that list should be considered "core" members.

Quote:
6. Draft selections have improved immeasurably since the hiring of Gordie Clark to run the player personnel department. The Rangers may have something in Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh (a trade acquisition), Evgeny Grachev, Dale Weise and Ryan Bourque. Trust Clark's judgment and consider him for the post of assistant GM/GM in waiting.
Again, Ryan Bourque listed, but Werek, Hagelin and Sanguinetti are not? Not quite, Larry.

Quote:
7. Repeat No. 5, over and over and over again. There is no quick fix on the horizon. In other words, no Sheldon Souray, no Vincent Lecavalier, no Patrick Marleau, no Joe Thornton, no Brad Richards, no Pavol Demitra.
Agreed for the most part, but, a stopgap is going to be needed in a few spots until the prospects are ready...a one year deal for a Saku Koivu would not be an awful idea, and you'll need a vet D-man until McDonagh is ready.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:36 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Agree with ALMOST all of it. Depending on the cost of Kovalchuk, I consider him.

And P.A. Parenteau is part of the core?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
ThisYearsModel

Not bad. How strange would it be to go into a season without half the roster turning over. That said, if we don't have anyone better than PA Parenteau coming up (no worries, he is a FA and will probably go elsewhere in search of an NHL job), we are in terrible shape. The dead weight that can be moved (PA, Boyle,) should be. The anchors around their necks (Redden and Drury) cannot be moved, unless they step up and send Redden to Hartford. If they wanted to move Drury, they might be able to get him to go to LA...........if they could get LA to take him. Too bad they could not get a shot at Seguin.....he will probably end up on Long Island terrorizing us for years along with Tavares.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Agree. But the lure of Kovalchuk after the dumping of Redden in Hartford may be too much for Slats not to consider.

Also don't consider Parenteau, waiver pick up Christansen, Gilroy and Girardi "part of the core".

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:10 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I agree on staying the coarse for the most part, but if the Rangers do not add a top 4 D-man that is in more of the shut down mold (EG Volchenkov) at the expense of waiving Redden, this team could be in danger of a repeat of this past season.

That and may be a cheap, no risk/high reward addition like signing MZA. That would save a good amount of cap space, hold things togther as the Kreiders, Stepan's, Grachev's, and McD's continue to develop, and improve the team overall.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don't get hung up on the "core" word.

Waiver pick up Christensen? Ranger fans act like its beneath the Rangers to pick up a player on waivers. They want a big name or washed up vet.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I agree on staying the coarse for the most part, but if the Rangers do not add a top 4 D-man that is in more of the shut down mold (EG Volchenkov) at the expense of waiving Redden, this team could be in danger of a repeat of this past season.

That and may be a cheap, no risk/high reward addition like signing MZA. That would save a good amount of cap space, hold things togther as the Kreiders, Stepan's, Grachev's, and McD's continue to develop, and improve the team overall.
You would pay Volchenkov $4.5 million per in a 4-5 year deal?

Old
04-13-2010, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Hire James Patrick as Hartford coach. Current assistant coach in Buffalo under Lindy Ruff.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:27 AM
DutchShamrock

I actually thought Paranteau looked good at the end of the season. Maybe it's a stretch to call him a core player but if he didn't take that penalty I don't think as many people are griping about his inclusion. And don't get ruffled over your favorite prospect not getting a mention, he would need a full page article to make everyone here happy.

It's amazing to me. Going back to the last playoff drought and in current years, I don't think I've met a person that is against a rebuild and the pains of losing associated with it. No one demands a cup tomorrow. They just want an honest effort, good hockey and some continuity with the roster. It's just amazing that the organization's biggest failure is to provide these simple things without the results they gambled everything on.

I think it's obvious that Sather's next move is a big one. A young star or a struggling one probably. He probably kicked the tires on Mueller or Stempniak and is mad he didn't land them, ignorant of the fact that they actually went to winning environments with decent players to help them. He opened up about the Stamkos story. He was in the running for Heatley, who just played well enough to make everyone forget about his drama. He probably blames the season on 'hard luck' stories like that. He probably won't fall short on his next target. And we will have Fleury or Robitaille part 2.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
eco's bones

Not to get hung up on the word 'core' but Avery is part of the core and he's not going anywhere anyway because there are few if any teams that would take him. Even so he seems to be a real presence in the locker room--he just needs to be better on the ice next year. We could say the same about Drury--who's very expensive and whose production dropped a lot this year. He finished well but for long stretches of season he was missing. Ditto Rozsival and Girardi.

From what I understand the reason the Rangers are trying to get McDonagh out of college one year early is because they think he might be ready for the NHL right now. He seems to be the kind of player who will fit in as a stay at home. A good skater and passer--he's big and already appears filled out. He seems to like the physical game. Rather than Volchenkov--we might be better off saving the money and working in our own players.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Ummm...PA Parenteau, a core member...no. And, I think Gilroy gets moved and replaced by Sanguinetti.
I would like to see Sanguinetti get a shot as well, however, the defense is soft enough. Unless Rozsival and Redden are somehow subtracted form the equation, the defense needs someone who is willing to get his nose dirty in front of the net.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agree with ALMOST all of it. Depending on the cost of Kovalchuk, I consider him.
The guy already turned down $100m, BRF. If he does not get what he wants, he'll take his ball and head back to Russia. Either way, he will not be cheap.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:34 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hahahaha

silliness. brad richards makes us a TON better. instantly. hes the one guy i would take in a hearbeat.

he gives us an impact pivot and improves the pp. period. both lead to more scoring.

sounds to me like lary wants us to endure another year of scoring no goals and subjecting hank to having to stand on his head to win games 2-1 every night.

larry is a clown with this article. stay the course basically doesnt cut it.

we lack offense. lets go get some.

2 yrs in a row and we cant score goals. what does that tell you ? we lack

OFFENSIVE TALENT and pa parenteau aint gonna help us there. i love cally and dubinski may yet be a decent 2nd line winger but who going to score goals for this team ??

keep the 4th line the same dont care but for gods sake and henricks sake too

FIND US SOME GOALS !!!!!!!!!

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
2 yrs in a row and we cant score goals. what does that tell you ? we lack

OFFENSIVE TALENT and pa parenteau aint gonna help us there. i love cally and dubinski may yet be a decent 2nd line winger but who going to score goals for this team ??

keep the 4th line the same dont care but for gods sake and henricks sake too

FIND US SOME GOALS !!!!!!!!!
I hear what you're saying man, but there is another very reasonable answer to your question: chemistry.

Ranger fans of all people should understand the importance of chemistry and continuity. It's not all about talent.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I hear what you're saying man, but there is another very reasonable answer to your question: chemistry.

Ranger fans of all people should understand the importance of chemistry and continuity. It's not all about talent.
just so im clear. what is this word chemistry you speak of ?

can there be chemistry and john tortorella on the same team ?

i think not.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:43 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The guy already turned down $100m, BRF. If he does not get what he wants, he'll take his ball and head back to Russia. Either way, he will not be cheap.
He turned that down from Atlanta. Same way that Marion turned down 77 million from Minnesota to sign here for less than half that amount.

He said all the right things publically about Atlanta, but his actions indicated that he wanted out.

He is still going to gte his 100 million, but over a 15 year period with a very manageable cap hit.

10 million per for the first 5 years of the deal, 5 million per over the remaining 10 years.

Cap hit of 6.66 million

He gets his money, majority of it duing his most productive years and he's a happy camper.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You would pay Volchenkov $4.5 million per in a 4-5 year deal?
Yes. He's in his prime and will still get more points than Redden.

AND HE HITS!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:03 AM
mullichicken25

i expected to see, "Fire Torts!" a whole bunch of BS about completely cleanging house

but i must say, im very impressed with Brooksie this time around...and i dont know if i've ever said this before but i agree with him

i might disagree a little bit on the details, like who he considers the "core" of this team, where he pretty much listed everyone but Jokinen, but i strongly agree with his overall perspective

they need to stay the course...try to mkae some calculated additions and subtractions...but the biggest thing they need to do is rethink their plan of attack when options A and B are off the table, rather than throwing everything at options C and D

and thats my biggest fear this offseason....if they want to go after Kovy, fine....but if they can't get him, dont go throwing 6mil at a Jokinen/Drury type player

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Agree with Larry on everything except #8.

LOWER ticket prices!!!!!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I would like to see Sanguinetti get a shot as well, however, the defense is soft enough. Unless Rozsival and Redden are somehow subtracted form the equation, the defense needs someone who is willing to get his nose dirty in front of the net.
Quote:
Hey, good to see you, TB. Others have already made my points, but to sum up:

I think the Dman you're looking for is currently playing at Wisconsin. Much as I wanted Orpik three years ago, I am no longer in favor of paying up for defensemen who don't bring offense. If they can't crack at least 25-30 points, they're not worth the $4MM+ that they get on the open market, I don't care how hard they hit. It's bad resource allocation.

And as to Kovalchuk, as pld suggested, I don't think you can seriously judge what it'll take to sign him based on what he turned down from Atlanta. Like many others before him, I think he just wanted out of a bad franchise in a bad market. He may well return to Russia, but I'd like to offer him something around $8-8.5MM per year for 5-7 years (especially if he performs reasonably well in the POs for NJ) and see what happens. If he's dead set on $110MM over ten years, well then he's welcome to go elsewhere to get it. I'm just saying we should kick the tires.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Agree with everything except PA being a core player, not saying it's impossible but he hasn't yet reached that level. And I like having Christensen as one of the core players of this team, great with the media and was very crafty on the ice down the stretch, Rangers need more guys that can make things happen and he has potential to be one again next year imo.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not to get hung up on the word 'core' but Avery is part of the core and he's not going anywhere anyway because there are few if any teams that would take him. Even so he seems to be a real presence in the locker room--he just needs to be better on the ice next year. We could say the same about Drury--who's very expensive and whose production dropped a lot this year. He finished well but for long stretches of season he was missing. Ditto Rozsival and Girardi.

From what I understand the reason the Rangers are trying to get McDonagh out of college one year early is because they think he might be ready for the NHL right now. He seems to be the kind of player who will fit in as a stay at home. A good skater and passer--he's big and already appears filled out. He seems to like the physical game. Rather than Volchenkov--we might be better off saving the money and working in our own players.

Mc D is a physical specimen with a work ethic and determination second to none. He is NHL ready from that aspect. College to the NHL is still quite a jump for a defense man. We shall see.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think you guys should go for Demetria if he is cheap

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

This team needs to stay away from the UFA market for anything other than an elite player - Kovalchuk this year, or Semin next year - or for short term stopgap - someone like a Koivu for one year. The problem is not spending money on someone like Gaborik. It's committing a lot of money to players who don't warrant it. If you know you have McDonagh on the way, who can provide what a Volchenkov does for a lot less, why not sign a a placeholder if you're not sure how soon McDonagh will be ready? If you pick up your 1st line center in the draft, and feel confident in someone like Stepan, why sign Plekanec, when you can get a placeholder like Koivu for a year, until players are ready? It's what started this whole fiasco by not grabbing someone like Lang, and instead committing awful money to Gomez/Drury.

Hopefully someone in this organization understands this concept.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote