HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

To all my Non-Playoff friends... [Please Avoid if you can't handle it]

Old
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
so, this year and next years #1's are nothing?

That said, Burkie is cleaning the deck.

He's a good GM.

But two number 1s isn't 'anything'.
Yeah it's hard to come back from what is the 'bread and butter' of rebuilding in high draft picks.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Okay lemme see, which do I have a real conflict with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Calgary Flames - Unfortunately this is one of those teams I think lost their identity after their fantastic playoff run. Obviously they have a lot of issues going forward but even looking at their roster they could easily ice a competitive team next year if it all clicks well.
I don't think they lost their identity, they've been just going through a real turnover in personnel on and off the ice. The Sutter's have thrown a bunch of players on the ice and expected them to compete, while also expecting Iginla to transform any old center into a #1 center. The PP on the team was miserable while the PK was only average which is surprising for a team with such a strong defensive presence. It seems like the coach has either lost the ears of the locker-room or due to the constant changes that keep occurring in the locker-room players haven't been able to learn the system Sutter is trying to teach. They were a team that seemed to self-combust as the season progressed, and this speaks very loudly of the lack of veteran leadership and strong coaching voice. With an aging core of Iginla, Kiprusoff, Regehr..etc making the playoffs as a low seed and going out in the 1st round simply isn't a desirable fate for this team. A few big changes need to be made, especially the addition of a legitimate passing center before this team comes anywhere near Stanley Cup contention.

Quote:
New York Rangers - Obviously a tough way to lose in a Shootout like that but it really speaks to how close this team is to the playoffs too. They are better than 9th place FOR SURE. Not that they are going to need any time to improve but they've got a really good farm system as well.
They may have just marginally missed the playoffs but don't be confused, this team was far from a playoff caliber team aside from a few players. This team carries the well documented burden of several highly overpriced players that are weighing the team down more and more each season. While bright spots, Lundqvist, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery and Staal..etc keep the Rangers contending for the bubble playoff spots defenseman Redden and Rozsival, captain Drury, and enforcer Brashear do so very little to deserve even half of their given salary and committing 20M from a 56M or rather 35% of their cap space to 4 players who do little to contribute to the success of the team really will help no team contend. So where you state they are better than 9th place team for sure is wrong. They aren't better than a 9th place team. They're simply a bubble playoff team with a tremendous goaltender and one legitimate scoring threat. Until they either eat or trade away some of their atrocious salaries the Rangers will have trouble making any significant noise in the playoffs for years to come.

Quote:
Minnesota Wild - Life without Gaborik was an adjustment (although I guess not so much since he was injured so often). The wild seem to be in between philosophies right now becoming a more assertive team. The younger Koivu has really turned into a stud the last couple seasons. I look forward to more years of toughly contested Wild - Canucks games.
The reason the Wild aren't sitting in the playoffs right now is due to such a wide array of issues. For one, Brent Burns the teams stud defenseman suddenly took a huge step backwards with a injury riddled last 2 seasons, and simply hasn't been able to contribute to the team like he has in the past. Losing your #1 defenseman undeniably hurts the club. The signing of Martin Havlat is a move that clearly came out of sheer desperation. After losing Gaborik, they go out and sign Havlat! Where is the logic in replacing an oft-missing gamebreaker for a lesser player with even more severe injury concerns and to a 6year, 30M contract nonetheless! With the weakening of the defense and the drastic philosophy change in Minnesota, the goaltending took an unsurprising hit leaving both Backstrom and Harding with highly unfavorable statistics to end the season. I personally feel the coaching change should burden most of the blame. And this is no slight to Richards, he did a perfectly fine with the roster he was given but it takes a while for some players to buy into a system and while the Wild showed flashes of a great team they couldn't put the pieces together for long enough to succeed. The key for this team to succeed lies in coaching this summer, and the GM's ability to acquire some big name and supporting offensive players to aid the underwhelming GF #'s as well as the ability for Brent Burns to return to past glory and the addition of another bonafide top 4 defenseman to solidify a relatively strong core.

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs - I really think Burke once again let his ego get in the way of things again which is really painful to see (as a fan of a former Burke run team). It was a good step by clearing house but I really don't see this team going anywhere far in the next 5 years. But they have some decent prospects in Kadri and Aulie. I also think Kulemin will be a great player in this league.
Quite easily your worst assessment of the bunch. After a post full of blind optimism once you reach the Leafs, you make no mention of how the acquisitions of Phaneuf and Giguere helped the team go on a pace over the last 20 games or so that would the Leafs posting 100pts over a full season. No mention of the abundance of wealth found on the blueline in Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Kaberle, the return of Komisarek, and the emergence of young blueliners Schenn and Gunnarsson? Also forgot to mention how rookie Bozak played like a bonafide top 6'er in his 37 games on the Leafs roster and how Kessel proved he was a legitimate scorer at age 22, regardless of the quality of his limemates. The Leafs are one of the teams in the league who have gone through the largest turnover throughout the roster and finally rid themselves of a lot of the deadweight that were clearly holding them back. You go as far as to criticize Burke even though he has set down many of the corner stones to what should be a great playoff team in the future. During his one year tenure as GM, he has acquired a 22 year old top sniper in the league and built a steady blueline full of legitimate top 4 defenseman. He has signed college free agents Bozak and Hanson, signed sought after free agent Monster, drafted bluechip prospect Kadri and a possible steal in D'Amigo, acquired Aulie through a very lopsided trade and acquired a Paradis, a 1st round pick in '09 for a prospect with similar value that had no spot on the team. Burke was handed a team with very little identity, full of terrible contracts and underperforming players. Since he has arrived in Toronto he has been able to clear the team of many of the contracts that looked like they'd burden them for years, and really give the team the identity of a hardworking rough and tumble team that no one looks forward to competing against. Not to say that the Leafs and Burke don't have a lot to work on this offseason but I beleive the fans have a lot to look forward too, especially with Burke at the helm.

Last edited by HockeyThoughts: 04-12-2010 at 09:22 PM.
HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
EOM

The Blues are the best of the non-playoff teams and our reward is getting the lowest pick of the non-playoff teams. Still, I'm proud of the fight they showed in the second half of the season and the improvement with Davis Payne as coach.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Say what you will about us, we party like it's 1999.

(http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=762240)

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Landeslog

I think the Oilers will be next season's Avs. They're not as bad as the standings look, they have promising prospects, and they were annihilated by injuries this year. I can totally see them turning things around next year

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Lounge Act*

^I'd like to think so but our mgmt. is a freakin' circus. NO one wants to play here and after a wide array of fiascoes since Pronger up to last night that's not gonna change anytime soon. Next Avs, pfft. I'll be surprised if they don't get another lottery pick, which I would consider a success since they don't have a chance of making the playoffs anyways.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Rangers fans are already banking on Redden being in the AHL next year and that will free up 6.5 mil in cap space. Drury's NMC hurts, but he only has 2 years left on his contract. Roszival also has 2 years left on his contract. Optimistic thinking says Drury may retire after next year also if he doesn't improve offensively in the 2010-2011 season (and I doubt he will improve based on age).

The only true good things going for the Rangers right now is our prospects. Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, and Ryan McDonagh are all in the system right now, while we have Evgeny Grachev, Bobby Sanguinetti and other defensive prospects who could be NHL ready by next season. Stepan, Kreider and McDonagh probably need another year minimum, if not two. By then, Drury will be gone, Roszival will be gone and hopefully with some responsible FA signings and maturity of our current rookies, the team will look a lot better.

By the way, Donald Brashear isn't our enforcer anymore, it's Jody Shelley who has already become a fan favorite in NY, along with Brandon Prust. Hopefully those two are resigned, and NY will only have to suck up Brashear's 1.2mil cap hit next year despite him no longer on the team (>35 contract kicks in).

While I appreciate the OP's kind assessment of my team, Rangers fans will be the first to admit that we really aren't much better than our 9th place finish says for this year but on the other hand probably aren't as screwed contract wise as people may think.... hell... who thought Sather would manage to get rid of Gomez last year? Certainly not me.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Rangers fans are already banking on Redden being in the AHL next year and that will free up 6.5 mil in cap space. Drury's NMC hurts, but he only has 2 years left on his contract. Roszival also has 2 years left on his contract. Optimistic thinking says Drury may retire after next year also if he doesn't improve offensively in the 2010-2011 season (and I doubt he will improve based on age).

The only true good things going for the Rangers right now is our prospects. Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, and Ryan McDonagh are all in the system right now, while we have Evgeny Grachev, Bobby Sanguinetti and other defensive prospects who could be NHL ready by next season. Stepan, Kreider and McDonagh probably need another year minimum, if not two. By then, Drury will be gone, Roszival will be gone and hopefully with some responsible FA signings and maturity of our current rookies, the team will look a lot better.

By the way, Donald Brashear isn't our enforcer anymore, it's Jody Shelley who has already become a fan favorite in NY, along with Brandon Prust. Hopefully those two are resigned, and NY will only have to suck up Brashear's 1.2mil cap hit next year despite him no longer on the team (>35 contract kicks in).

While I appreciate the OP's kind assessment of my team, Rangers fans will be the first to admit that we really aren't much better than our 9th place finish says for this year but on the other hand probably aren't as screwed contract wise as people may think.... hell... who thought Sather would manage to get rid of Gomez last year? Certainly not me.
I only referred to him as an enforcer because as a Caps fan I know, he doesn't serve much else of a purpose.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
XO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I know, I'm a Leafs fan, and never have any right to ever be optimistic or proud of anything blue and white, but had anyone told me at the start of the year that we would start 2010-11 with DIon Phaneuf, JS Giguere, and Phil Kessel in the blue and white, and Jason Blake, Vesa Toskala gone without costing us anything, I would have laughed you out of HFBoards.

Burke has done a phenomenal job in year one of our rebuild, and I for one have more hope for this team than I have in a while.
don't stop believin'

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I am very sad this year

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:11 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Quite easily your worst assessment of the bunch. After a post full of blind optimism once you reach the Leafs, you make no mention of how the acquisitions of Phaneuf and Giguere helped the team go on a pace over the last 20 games or so that would the Leafs posting 100pts over a full season. No mention of the abundance of wealth found on the blueline in Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Kaberle, the return of Komisarek, and the emergence of young blueliners Schenn and Gunnarsson? Also forgot to mention how rookie Bozak played like a bonafide top 6'er in his 37 games on the Leafs roster and how Kessel proved he was a legitimate scorer at age 22, regardless of the quality of his limemates. The Leafs are one of the teams in the league who have gone through the largest turnover throughout the roster and finally rid themselves of a lot of the deadweight that were clearly holding them back. You go as far as to criticize Burke even though he has set down many of the corner stones to what should be a great playoff team in the future. During his one year tenure as GM, he has acquired a 22 year old top sniper in the league and built a steady blueline full of legitimate top 4 defenseman. He has signed college free agents Bozak and Hanson, signed sought after free agent Monster, drafted bluechip prospect Kadri and a possible steal in D'Amigo, acquired Aulie through a very lopsided trade and acquired a Paradis, a 1st round pick in '09 for a prospect with similar value that had no spot on the team. Burke was handed a team with very little identity, full of terrible contracts and underperforming players. Since he has arrived in Toronto he has been able to clear the team of many of the contracts that looked like they'd burden them for years, and really give the team the identity of a hardworking rough and tumble team that no one looks forward to competing against. Not to say that the Leafs and Burke don't have a lot to work on this offseason but I beleive the fans have a lot to look forward too, especially with Burke at the helm.
This.... I can't believe the Leaf hate on these boards... seriously.

As mentioned... this is a team that finished the season with 25 points in the last 20 games... that would put us at 103 points on the season.... Only FOUR teams this year finished with more points than that.

This leafs played this well as the youngest (or second youngest?) team in the league. IN THE LEAGUE.

We will acquire a couple more offensive threats this off-season for the top six, which will solidify us as a contender for a playoff spot.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post

As mentioned... this is a team that finished the season with 25 points in the last 20 games... that would put us at 103 points on the season.... Only FOUR teams this year finished with more points than that.

This leafs played this well as the youngest (or second youngest?) team in the league. IN THE LEAGUE.

We will acquire a couple more offensive threats this off-season for the top six, which will solidify us as a contender for a playoff spot.
If I understand you correctly, are you predicting a 100+ point season from the boys in blue next year?

I'll agree that the OP's segment on the Leafs wasn't as rosy as it could've been, but his pessimism seems to be outweighed by your optimism here.

04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:

This is so lol. I remember a thread on the leafs forum, saying please stop embarrasing us. Its because of posts like these.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13goleafsgo13 View Post
hmmm kadri a decent prospect your a joke
Yeah, he's terrible. Just look at his stats in these playoffs. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Kadri,Schenn,Kessel,Kaberle,Bozak,Phaneuf is your core... The problem is after that you have a bunch of 3rd-4th liners and #4-6 D men
I wasn't aware it was already October.

Seriously, you can't assess how the Leafs will do next year without first seeing what Burke does in the off season. The team is drastically different then a year ago and has already improved significantly since the younger guys have been given more chances.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
If I understand you correctly, are you predicting a 100+ point season from the boys in blue next year?

I'll agree that the OP's segment on the Leafs wasn't as rosy as it could've been, but his pessimism seems to be outweighed by your optimism here.
No, nowhere did I say this... I'm saying as the youngest team in the league, we've been playing really good hockey (On pace for over 100 points in the last quarter of the season). I clearly said that if we get a couple more offensive weapons (50-60+ point producers) for our top six in the offseason, we should be a playoff contender. Not all playoff contenders make the playoffs, and playoff contenders don't get 100 points.... Stanley cup contenders get 100+ points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is so lol. I remember a thread on the leafs forum, saying please stop embarrasing us. Its because of posts like these.
Care to explain why its 'lol'. I'm saying we have a good foundation, and we're not far from the playoffs... Our Defence is solid, and will be better with Mike Komisarek... our Goaltending is promising, and we we're working on our offense right now...

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
leafmon

Quote:
This isn't everyone gets a prize day. This is just an optimistic look on all the non-playoff teams.
You are not capable of giving a unbiased view of the Leafs due to your hatred of the team which has only worsened since they hired Burke so why bother.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
You are not capable of giving a unbiased view of the Leafs due to your hatred of the team which has only worsened since they hired Burke so why bother.
Canucks fans (and Vancouver in general) hate Toronto and the Leafs, but it's a bit one sided. We couldn't care less about them.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Canucks fans (and Vancouver in general) hate Toronto and the Leafs, but it's a bit one sided. We couldn't care less about them.
I think that's part of the problem hahahaha.

Being a Vancouverite, I do hate Toronto (for many reasons that have nothing to do with the Leafs) and I do hate the leafs. Its the culture.

Happens when you spend your existance as a hockey fan in the shadow of the big TO, despite them being pretty much irrelevant lately.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:12 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I disagree about it being one sided. Quite a few Leafs fans on here have said they hate the Canucks.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:

Teams often go on streak when they're out of playoff contention, it doesn't mean jack.

That being said, I think the Leafs could do well next year. They'll get solid goaltending from Giggy (a good pickup), and their defense is very solid. If Kadri and Bozak pan out, Kessel keeps improving, and Burke manages to grab a couple more top 6ers to compliment them I could see them making the post-season.

But at the same time, you have the 2nd longest streak of not making the playoffs in the league, you guys dropped from 24th to 29th in the league this year, and at the beginning of the year a lot of Leafs fans were sure you were going to make the playoffs. And you traded away the #1/2 overall pick. If someone doesn't pick you to make the playoffs next year it's not Leaf hate.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
You are not capable of giving a unbiased view of the Leafs due to your hatred of the team has only worsened since they hired Burke so why bother.
I can agree with that

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
mbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
I'm just saying without any picks and a pretty bad AHL team it will be hard to succede.

Calgary has a decent team if they don't make any moves. If they do Kipper and Iggy will bring in some quality young players

New York is stuck with bad contracts but they can still be a playoff team because of the young players they have.

Florida will pick in the top 3 this year and have a solid core (Horton,Weiss,Booth,Vokun,Kulikov(lol sp?),Hall/Seguin/Fowler,)

Minny has decent young players but struggled a lot last year
here's the problem. you make a point that these teams will be good because of the young players they've got. if im not mistaken, the leafs are the 1st or 2nd youngest team in the league. our core going forward are all under 25... kessel bozak schenn kulemin phaneuf gustavsson gunnarsson kadri... are those not good young players? its just that your reasoning is so entirely inconsistent, its completely invalid. thanks for coming out

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf
Happens when you spend your existance as a hockey fan in the shadow of the big TO, despite them being pretty much irrelevant lately.
sorry to burst your bubble, but the leafs will never be irrelevant to hockey. they're one of the biggest fanbases and wealthiest teams in all of pro sports... easily the most in the nhl. its impossible for such a massive source of revenue for the nhl to be irrelevant

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
markov`

Quote:

Almost every bottom team play well at the end of the season. When there's nothing on the line it's much easier.

Fact is after 82 games your team finished 29th in the league. There's no way around it.

I'm sincerely glad the Leafs made that Kessel trade. If they had not, they could've become the next Pittsburgh or Washington. I certainly don't want that.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
No, nowhere did I say this... I'm saying as the youngest team in the league, we've been playing really good hockey (On pace for over 100 points in the last quarter of the season). I clearly said that if we get a couple more offensive weapons (50-60+ point producers) for our top six in the offseason, we should be a playoff contender. Not all playoff contenders make the playoffs, and playoff contenders don't get 100 points.... Stanley cup contenders get 100+ points.
It's a frequently observed phenomenon that teams tend to streak after being eliminated from playoff contention. It's far more likely that the Leafs were reacting positively to having the pressure come off than that they suddenly became world beaters for the final quarter of the season.

That said the only thing really tainting this season for the Leafs is the loss of that 1st round pick. Most if not all of Burke's other moves have contributed nicely to the rebuild. The most likely scenario for such a young team is another year out of the playoffs, but they should be in the hunt for a lot longer next season.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
I disagree about it being one sided. Quite a few Leafs fans on here have said they hate the Canucks.
Well, whenever I personally talk to people in this city about who they dislike the most they never say Vancouver. I guess the difference is a few Leafs fans hate the Canucks, while the majority of Canucks fans hate the Leafs.

And I was also talking about hate towards the city of Toronto itself, not just the Leafs. People in Vancouver hate the city of Toronto and its people. I'm guessing it's just a massive inferiority complex.