HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Theodore will talk in scrums to Montreal journalists

Old
04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Part of a professional athlete's job is dealing with journalists.

They get paid such high salaries in large part because of media coverage, and shunning them is effectively biting the hand that feeds them.
I don't see how you can make that link. Hockey players don't get paid by the media. They get paid by teams for their unique ability to perform. If anything the media is always biting the hand that feeds them because without the players they wouldn't have jobs.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Hugo Sham

that's great , the Francophone media is probably the most responsible bunch for creating the ridiculous tabloid journalism and 'pressure' on french players. guys like tremblay, the RDS clowns, l'attaque a 5 etc...can deflect blame on hab fans, management etc ALL they want...but actions like this are beyond a doubt, an indictment of their actions

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
FF de Mars

You guys live in a bubble if you think the Montréal media is that horrible. You need perspective. Scandals is what the medias all around the world use to make money. I don't think Theo is helping himself. He's putting asside an issue. And the media will still be after him, at games, in the streets, everywhere, trying to ask questions even harder because he just made media information about himself even more valuable by cutting supply and by letting demand skyrocket. Simple laws of economics apply.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:11 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Well done Theo

And Gagnon is a great pick

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I don't see how you can make that link. Hockey players don't get paid by the media. They get paid by teams for their unique ability to perform. If anything the media is always biting the hand that feeds them because without the players they wouldn't have jobs.
I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think he wanted to say that if there is less journalists (I know that it is impossible in MTL, but it is for the example) that cover the Habs' games and activities, the popularity of the Habs will decline.

Like it or not, but it helps the popularity of the Habs when La Presse, Rue Frontenac, Gazette and Journal De Montréal have like 3 full pages on the Habs each day, even in the summer. Imagine if the Habs had the same publicity than the Impact. There was only a small "Associated Press" (ou La Presse Canadienne) regarding the first Impact's game.

Also, on HF boards, members always say that "most of the bad Habs' fans" are the ones who just repeat the words of Réjean Tremblay, etc. Without them, I am pretty sure that many fans will not care or careless about the Habs.

Less journalists = Less Habs exposure = less fans = less persons at the Bell Center and less persons that buy Habs' merchandises = Habs are less profitable = Molson will maybe not be that inclined to spend to the cap and give big money to his players.

I am know you will probably find this ridiculous, but I am sure that the owners from the Ducs, Bolts, etc would like to have more than a part-time journalist to follow the team activity.

All publicity (especially, when it is free), is good publicity, even the bad ones. The important is to talk about the Habs.

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
LyricalLyricist

How are we in his head? This shows confidence, not lack of. He's basically confident enough to do something different. Instead of pretending to like people, he spoke up and is staying true to his beliefs. Why knock the guy on that? Good for Theo. The habs should ban certain media types as well.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm guessing it probably has something to so with how the media reported the stuff about his family or the steroid BS. Perhaps Gagnon kept out of it.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How are we in his head? This shows confidence, not lack of. He's basically confident enough to do something different. Instead of pretending to like people, he spoke up and is staying true to his beliefs. Why knock the guy on that? Good for Theo. The habs should ban certain media types as well.
Let's say you're right and things aren't getting to him right now.

How do you think Michel Villeneuve and co. will react to the news and to José, especially when he comes back to Montreal for game 3-4?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
Let's say you're right and things aren't getting to him right now.

How do you think Michel Villeneuve and co. will react to the news and to José, especially when he comes back to Montreal for game 3-4?
I wish they'd take a hint, but they'd either 1)turn this on theo, 2)blame other media. Pathetic.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Being a journalist should require some integrity, hanging outside a guys house to see if he is faking an injury is ridiculous. Im sure theodore wanted to give them the big **** you before this.
I don't approuve this method, but I can understand it. Remember that the journalists are not the friends of the players.

For those in journalism, you know that it is not easy to have a job in that domain. When you have one, you will do "almost" anything to keep it. So, when you're boss says to go to Theodore's house, you go.

Also, please keep in minds that a "scoop" = often a raise or better work conditions.

Basically, there is three ways to have a scoop:

1)To be the "friend" of the player: Renaud Lavoie with Vincent Lecavalier and other Quebecers' players;

2)To have really good connexions: (I know that he is not a journalist, but it is for the example) Bob Hartley with the Hossa Pens/Thrashers trade;

3)To be the one to do the "duty works".

Beside, the fans are responsible for that kind of journalism, believe it or not. Journalists are not bad people, they won't go in the privacy of the players if they know that they won't sell anything tomorrow, because the fans don't care.

Finally, if we learn today (for example) that Gomez hurt himself by making high speed on his motocycle. Do you think that on this board we will talk about the bad ethic of the journalist or the fact that Gomez will miss all the playoffs ?

Old
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
shutehinside

Most of the sports "reporters" in Montreal have become more like gossip columnists. I'm not suprised that this happened, in fact I thought it would have happened a long time ago.

As for the comment of "biting the hand that feeds you" well that's a ridiculous statement. That's like saying it's okay if your parents beat you ever chance they get because they're the hand that feeds you. In fact, the reporters wouldn't have a job if they didn't have a team to cover which makes this more of a symbiotic relaitionship then one of dependance. I'm sure the Habs would be just as popular without being reported on 24/7 365 by a bunch of ****** bags.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Most of the sports "reporters" in Montreal have become more like gossip columnists. I'm not suprised that this happened, in fact I thought it would have happened a long time ago.

As for the comment of "biting the hand that feeds you" well that's a ridiculous statement. That's like saying it's okay if your parents beat you ever chance they get because they're the hand that feeds you. In fact, the reporters wouldn't have a job if they didn't have a team to cover which makes this more of a symbiotic relaitionship then one of dependance. I'm sure the Habs would be just as popular without being reported on 24/7 365 by a bunch of ****** bags.

You're right, journalists have a job because of the team. However, the journalists need the team as much as the team needs the journalists.

As I wrote in my previous posts, more journalists = more exposure = more persons are reached. If the Habs doesn't have 3 pages in four newspapers almosts each day, even in the summer, the Habs will still be popular, but their popularity will have declined.

Again, they are now "gossip columnists" because this is what a large majority of the "fans" (I don't say this is good btw), want. If they didn't like that type of journalism, they would not buy the newspapers.

I could bet my shirt that one the most bought Journal de Montréal ever was the one with Theodore (injury or Paris Hilton), Brisebois (Paris, France) or the one with Malakhov (ski, Tremblant).

Last edited by Georges Gorges: 04-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can Hab players do the same?
that would be the day

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Habs 1909

Good for Theo. Smart move.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
icerocket

So he shuns the entire media except for one dude and you guys are applauding this? Fact of the matter is that in all sports the meccas of that sport have intense media scrutiny and Montreal is one in hockey.

And to the people who are saying this shows more confidence, get real. This proves how much the media can get to him if he still harbors bad feelings. This guy isn't mentally ready for the storm in Montreal and he knows it, so he is running away from his issues.

icerocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Great move by Theo here. Don't talk to them, don't listen to them, don't read them. Just pay attention to the task at hand, which is to play good against the Montreal Canadiens. His head is in the game, and the game only and that gains some respect from me.

Hopefully with his mind in the game, it'll show and make for an interesting series. As if we didn't need it to get any more difficult.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I'll be happy when our players start doing that, not our opponents.

Spectaculard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Gary320

If anything this tells me he's mentally weak and can't handle the media and instead of facing them.. he's running away from them.

Problem is, you can't run away from 21 973 fans chanting "TTTTHHHHHHHHEEEEEOOOOOO""

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Bill McNeal

Whatever this means, whether he's sending a message to the Montreal media or whether he's letting the pressure get to him, it's nothing but good news for Montreal fans.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Problem is, you can't run away from 21 973 fans chanting "TTTTHHHHHHHHEEEEEOOOOOO""
I'm assuming the 700 extra people will be outside chanting his name?

Old
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Part of a professional athlete's job is dealing with journalists.

They get paid such high salaries in large part because of media coverage, and shunning them is effectively biting the hand that feeds them.
Habs media are not journalists, they are tabloid writers, they do the complete opposite. Speak to them and they will destroy your name at the end of the day.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'm assuming the 700 extra people will be outside chanting his name?
LOL.

Well, I'm sure its quite possible that the Bell Center has atleast 700 employees lol.

Yeah my bad. I thought it was 21 973.. now know its 21 273.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Peace

Im with Theo 110% here. Theo has all the reasons in the world to ignore the medias of Quebec. With all what he passed through, his kids etc...I understand him. The medias acted like ticks and leeches. Im so happy that he's found some success with the Caps.

Im with you Theo

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
NewBlood

He's already feeling the pressure, that's good. You're gonna break up anyway Theo!

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
LOL.

Well, I'm sure its quite possible that the Bell Center has atleast 700 employees lol.

Yeah my bad. I thought it was 21 973.. now know its 21 273.
I would kill 700 people just to be an employee at the Bell Centre.

Damn, what a job that would be.