HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eight Steps To Fix Flunking Rangers

Old
04-13-2010, 08:34 AM
DrAStuart

vCash: 500
I agree about not trying to 'free agent' our way to being a contending team. It is the same strategy the Leafs have used for ages and we all see how that has worked for them.
But I also don't think that this will be an option this year, anyway. They might be able to trade Roszival, but Redden won't have any takers. Personally I don't think Sather's ego will allow him to bury Redden's contract in the AHL...but I could be wrong.
I really hate to say it, but except for quibbling with some of Brooks' language (ie "core"), the overall approach is probably not too bad.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Nurture the core that includes Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Matt Gilroy, Marian Gaborik, Erik Christensen, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Brandon Prust, Jody Shelley and P.A. Parenteau.
thats the "core"? so our core is the equivalent to how many players are involved in our roster turnover each of the last few offseasons? not a very solid core if you ask me. cut it to hank, staal, MDZ, Gabs, EC (maybe), cally, avery, prust, and maybe dubi, who im thinking is becoming less of that core. i pretty much agree with the rest of the plan though.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Matteau Matteau

Hi all...longtime reader here.

This post is very interesting...this is *very* similar to a post I made on ESPN yesterday stating my ideas for a fix of this team.

I totally agree with keeping the core intact. Did anyone else notice that the team finally seemed to really come together on the stretch run? Guys (even Torts) jumping for joy, truly enjoying others' goals, etc. Even Drury and Roszival finally started to earn my respect. And the Anisimov-Shelly-Prust line earned even more ice time next year, IMO. Possibly the third line.

I agree with the guy above who said Parenteau could go too though. My only concern is if we re-sign all these guys and give raises, to we have the cap space to go after Kovalchuk or Plekanec? I tried Capgeek.com but didn't know what to enter for the raises.

Anyway, here's my post:

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Torts go, but considering they'd probably have to do a contract payout, I doubt it will happen. This would be my fix:

1.) Fire Sather

2.) Dump Redden to the minors. Yes, this will be painful since we'll be paying top-dollar for what is essentially an empty roster spot, but the cap room must be cleared to move this team forward.

3.) Let Jokinen, Lisin and Eriksson go, and try to move Gilroy and Voros.

4.) Re-sign Staal, Girardi, Prust, Shelley, Christensen, Prospal, Auld and Parenteau. *Possibly* re-sign Potter and Locke.

This frees up about $7.5 - $9.5 mil (allowing for raises to the guys that earned them). With that money I'd make a run for someone like Plekanec or another solid 1st line center. Failing that, I'd hope that Dubinsky or Anisimov continue to mature and one of them becomes a true 1st line center, then make a run at Kovalchuk.

The Rangers should also get a top 10 pick in the draft, so that could help. Who knows what will happen. But it should be a fun off-season to watch.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
ChrisModem

So Brooksie read a few post on this board and repeated what every good thinking hockey mind here has been saying for...well forever. Ain't he a brain surgeon.

In all seriousness he is right.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

LB should keep all his BS about his relationship with Torts out of his articles. Larry Brooks is NOT important to the New York Rangers nor is he worthy of any sympathy. Other than that garbage, the article is decent.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I actually agree with Uncle Larry for a change. Obviously he butchered the "core" player list, but whatever. Stay the course. No short term fixes or band-aids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think you guys should go for Demetria if he is cheap
Hell no.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
tjs252

The problem I see with "stay the course" is that we have no legitimate in-house goal scoring options behind Gaborik as that 1A good teams need.

It's not going to be Callahan, as much as I love him, or Dubinsky or Anisimov. Those are the forwards, along with Gaborik, you plan the next five years around, since they're at the NHL level, producing and capable.

To me, you make the move for Kovalchuk, and Kovalchuk only. The other options are likely to be flawed, but Kovalchuk is a franchise changer, especially a franchise like ours, and worth going after.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
The problem I see with "stay the course" is that we have no legitimate in-house goal scoring options behind Gaborik as that 1A good teams need.

It's not going to be Callahan, as much as I love him, or Dubinsky or Anisimov. Those are the forwards, along with Gaborik, you plan the next five years around, since they're at the NHL level, producing and capable.

To me, you make the move for Kovalchuk, and Kovalchuk only. The other options are likely to be flawed, but Kovalchuk is a franchise changer, especially a franchise like ours, and worth going after.
kovy would be nice. brad richards would also help. those are the onlt 2 guys i would want to make a play for. the rest are guys we will overpay for long term.

we need atleast one talented forward perhaps 2. we need players who can play on the pp so we dont use ryan callahan there anymore. other than gaby, really, we have no one.

prospal- prolly not returning
joker- not returning
ec- inconsistent results
drury- 3rd/4th line aging centerman who cant score anymore.
dubi-3rd liner with limited goal scoring ability
cally-see above
arty-see above again
avery-ditto above

this team not only lacks goals, it lacks talent. top end offensive talent.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think you guys should go for Demetria if he is cheap
I agree, or Koivu, but neither more than a 1 year deal. Of course, that won't satisfy the "we must fix all of our problems and become a cup contender now" crowd. Fixing all of our problems and becoming a serious cup contender in 1 year just isn't possible. We need to be smart, fix this team's cap situation and position ourselves for future success. If your plan doesn't extend beyond 1 year, then you have no plan.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:33 AM
drewcon40

Matteau Matteau - excellent point. I agree that Tortorella will be back. I was trying to find a quick reference, but was unsuccessful. How often does a GM get replaced, takes over a team, but keeps the coaching? (In Toronto did Burke do this with Ron Wilson?).

I know that Dolan will probably take the easy way out if he even makes a change. (Make Messier the GM). If they were to make a GM change, this now becomes a factor. Does the GM they hire have to endorse Tortorella as a coach? (Does this make Jay Feester an automatic candidate?)

I don't necessarily agree with any of the above. I am just trying to get in the minds of the Ranger ownership. I wish they would get creative and bring in candidates that are in touch with the new NHL. Sometimes I wish the Rangers would act like a small market team when it comes to these decisions.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post

I was surprised that Brooks didn't empahsize that the Rangers must sign Kovy. It seems like every year, Brooks has one NJ UFA player that he endorses as a must sign for the Rangers.

I also doubt the Ranger send Redden to the minors. This guy isn't some over the hill NHL'er. I understand that most Ranger fans don't consider him worth his contract, but Redden was once a respected top 5 blueliner and captain of his team. If the Rangers were to bury Redden, it may cause some problems with the Rangers sigining future UFA's, who at the very least would want Non Movement Clauses. I believe Elias as one, where he can't be sent to the minors.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hire James Patrick as Hartford coach. Current assistant coach in Buffalo under Lindy Ruff.
He would be a fantastic choice. Very good call on that

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I also doubt the Ranger send Redden to the minors. This guy isn't some over the hill NHL'er. I understand that most Ranger fans don't consider him worth his contract, but Redden was once a respected top 5 blueliner and captain of his team. If the Rangers were to bury Redden, it may cause some problems with the Rangers sigining future UFA's, who at the very least would want Non Movement Clauses. I believe Elias as one, where he can't be sent to the minors.
Good.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I was surprised that Brooks didn't empahsize that the Rangers must sign Kovy. It seems like every year, Brooks has one NJ UFA player that he endorses as a must sign for the Rangers.

He's a passable bottom-pairing d-man at best. Slow, unmotivated, and irresponsible with the puck. He's a shell of his former self unfortunately. It's just a poor decision to 'endure' his contract burden while the rest of the team suffers.

Frankly, I'm not concerned with the message it sends around the league. To me, it simply says: "Earn your money or you're gone." There's nothing wrong with that. Sather gave these guys their money, but they're not absolved of all the blame either. They ran up the asking price along with their agents. If you're going to demand big money, you should be held accountable as well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
If the Rangers were to bury Redden, it may cause some problems with the Rangers sigining future UFA's, who at the very least would want Non Movement Clauses. I believe Elias as one, where he can't be sent to the minors.
Brooklyndevil - I totally understand and respect this thought. That being said, there are two counterpoints I'd like to offer. First of all, if there is any fear from a potential player signing here that he needs a Non-Movement-Clause to assure a spot, then I wish that player luck elsewhere. I don't want him on the Rangers as he clearly lacks the confidence that he would justify the contract he would be signing.

Also, as a potential Free Agent. Wouldn't you want to come to a team where the Front Office will try to make moves to give their team the best chance to win? If I am a potential FA and I see that the Rangers would not explore an option to assign Redden to Hartford in order to improve the team, I may have second thoughts about the Rangers as an organization.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Agreed with number 5. Can't we just NOT sign a "big name" free agent for one off-season? Holy ****. We've seen how well signing free agents has worked so far, why would it be any different in the future?

I'm willing to bank on the fact that our prospects will lead us to a cup in the future over any combination of free agents leading us to a cup.

So what if we get Kovalchuk? We have to shift out more players to make room for him. Then the season after that more prospects will be coming up and younger guys will be expecting pay increases forcing us to not re-sign them. This whole FA thing is a vicious cycle that will come back to bite us in the ass. I mean hell, it already has!

Last edited by Stugots: 04-13-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
He would be a fantastic choice. Very good call on that
Dagoon - what do you think about Nicky Fotiu as a potential coach?

Old
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
94now

Sign Zherdev and Demetra to replace Jokinen and Prospal. Nothing else.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:

I think the opposite. It would send a message saying, we will pay you the big money, but you have to deliver.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's a passable bottom-pairing d-man at best. Slow, unmotivated, and irresponsible with the puck. He's a shell of his former self unfortunately. It's just a poor decision to 'endure' his contract burden while the rest of the team suffers.

Frankly, I'm not concerned with the message it sends around the league. To me, it simply says: "Earn your money or you're gone." There's nothing wrong with that. Sather gave these guys their money, but they're not absolved of all the blame either. They ran up the asking price along with their agents. If you're going to demand big money, you should be held accountable as well.

I understand, but I can see Sather trying to move his contract for another, which could be a better fit for the Rangers before doing something so drastic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but has a similar player to Redden, been buried yet by another club?

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-13-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Reijo R

Wow, hard to believe NYR fans actually want to stay the course. Fact is, we've been burned so much by free agency that most of us are gunshy. But here's the thing? We're light years behind the Caps, Pens, Devs and Flyers in terms of talent. Probably Boston, too. Do you guys really want to gamble on Erik Christensen being the 1st line center next year? Do you think we'll compete with him in that spot? Because if you don't go after Marleau or B. Richards, that's what you're looking at. Another season of finishing in the bottom 10 in goals scored, and another waster season of Hank's prime. Dubinsky is not a 1st-line C and Anisimov skates like a beer league player.

BTW, here's the one move they really need to do: get Tyler Seguin. If that means you have to give up your 1st and 2nd round picks to move up, you do it. If it means you have to add a prospect with those 2 picks, you do it. TOP END TALENT, folks. TOP END TALENT.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Brooklyndevil - I totally understand and respect this thought. That being said, there are two counterpoints I'd like to offer. First of all, if there is any fear from a potential player signing here that he needs a Non-Movement-Clause to assure a spot, then I wish that player luck elsewhere. I don't want him on the Rangers as he clearly lacks the confidence that he would justify the contract he would be signing.

Also, as a potential Free Agent. Wouldn't you want to come to a team where the Front Office will try to make moves to give their team the best chance to win? If I am a potential FA and I see that the Rangers would not explore an option to assign Redden to Hartford in order to improve the team, I may have second thoughts about the Rangers as an organization.
Just saying, if this went down, UFA players and not just the ones who sign with the Rangers, will probably want a Non movement Clause. And this burying of contracts in the minors is something I'm sure that Players Association, will probably try to change when the current contract is up.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I understand, but I can see Sather trying to move his contract for another, which could be a better fit for the Rangers before doing something so drastic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but has a similar to Redden, been buried yet by another club?
Kasparitis was buried, but didn't have as much left on his contract as Redden does. Kaspar also was coming off surgery and didn't win the job in camp.

As long as Redden is one of our 6 best dmen, he won't be sent down. Hopefully we re-sign Staal and Girardi, and McDonagh or Sanguinetti beat out Redden. It's a tough line to toe though, because we'd have to go into camp with the idea that Redden may make the team, and thus, we'd have to have the cap room to carry him.

If it works out that way, that would probably be a good thing, as it would keep Sather from doing anything stupid.

The only other way I can see it ending is if Redden agrees to terminate his contract. Seems unlikely though. 23 million is a lot to give up.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Re-focus energy on a new most important day of the summer--the Draft. Take a back seat on July 1st. Staying away from big free agent signings is key. Cap room cleared this summer should go to re-signing the Rangers own free agents who can contribute next season. This is a time of addition by subtraction. Let the dead weight go (Jokinen) or dump it in Hartford (Redden). Brooks is right about the need for stability and continuity. The team can't drastically turn over the roster again.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
mullichicken25

if the rangers bury Redden in the minors, and i was a UFA, I would probablly take slightly less money to go play elsewhere, or demand a no movement clause...or least entertain the idea of doing that

i wouldn't like the idea that if my play drops off a little, i run into some bad luck, or my supporting cast falls apart my career in the NHL is over

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote