HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts remains safe

Old
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
This team doesn't need another overhaul. It needs to get rid of Wade Redden and if possible Michal Rozsival. I know Drury is going nowhere, but having contracts like Redden & Rozsival hurt this team more than anything else.

Whether you like Rozsival or not, he's not worth 5M.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This was a 'mediocre' season??

WTF were the Renney 1 or 2 round exit years? The Torts people have been telling me THOSE years were the mediocre years.
We were 1 shootout away from another playoff berth and first round exit. Last year was a mediocre season and this season was another mediocre season.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This was a 'mediocre' season??

WTF were the Renney 1 or 2 round exit years? The Torts people have been telling me THOSE years were the mediocre years.
oposite ends of the mediocre spectrum

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
oposite ends of the mediocre spectrum
Well you can get 35th percentile and 65th percentile and still be in the average part of the bell curve no?

Old
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Seems fair to give him one more year.

He's done a good job with the young guys. Anisimov had a solid year, Del Zotto was good, and Dubinsky and Staal progressed. Gilroy, not so much, but apart from sending him to play in Hartford, I don't know what Torts could have done about that situation.

I think the most important question for next year will be how these young players continue to develop, and how well the new rookies are handled. If Torts can have the same effect on whoever joins the lineup next year that he had on guys like Dubinsky and Staal this year, I'd say it will be a success. I don't really care about making the playoffs next year.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
This team doesn't need another overhaul. It needs to get rid of Wade Redden and if possible Michal Rozsival. I know Drury is going nowhere, but having contracts like Redden & Rozsival hurt this team more than anything else.

Whether you like Rozsival or not, he's not worth 5M.
i do like Rozsival, and have defended him at great lengths on this board

but if you can trade him, you do it

he's the only one of the three terrible contracts I could see being moved....and his solid $3mil type play is the unfortunate casualty of the slaray cap war

Old
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post

He's done a good job with the young guys. Anisimov had a solid year, Del Zotto was good, and Dubinsky and Staal progressed. Gilroy, not so much, but apart from sending him to play in Hartford, I don't know what Torts could have done about that situation.
I think the most important question for next year will be how these young players continue to develop, and how well the new rookies are handled. If Torts can have the same effect on whoever joins the lineup next year that he had on guys like Dubinsky and Staal this year, I'd say it will be a success. I don't really care about making the playoffs next year.
b-b-b-bbut torts RUINS Kids!!11!

Old
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
We were 1 shootout away from another playoff berth and first round exit. Last year was a mediocre season and this season was another mediocre season.
But wasn't Torts supposed to be the coach that got the Rangers to take the next step? Hadn't Renney taken the Ranger are far as he could. Torts was going to be the Mike Keenan to the Renney's Roger Nielson.

04-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But wasn't Torts supposed to be the coach that got the Rangers to take the next step? Hadn't Renney taken the Ranger are far as he could. Torts was going to be the Mike Keenan to the Renney's Roger Nielson.
We'll that was the plan. As it always it when a team gets a new coach.

Doesn't always work out, but no reason to get a new coach every season if things don't work out.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Uh, yeah, about that... Turns out way too many people here grossly overrated the talent on the team, and ripped apart a coach that did the best he could with what he was given.
Posted via Mobile Device

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
b-b-b-bbut torts RUINS Kids!!11!
What kids?

Dubinsky has played over 230 games in the NHL.

Callahan has played over 220 games in the NHL.

Staal has played over 240 games in the NHL.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
We'll that was the plan. As it always it when a team gets a new coach.

Doesn't always work out, but no reason to get a new coach every season if things don't work out.
I understand that. And I'm not advocating firing him. I just think the bar has been lowered when evaluating him.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
satrabyk

If people cant see that Sather has hurt this team and makes bad decesions not because it was a mistake in his mind but because his persanilty fits the descritpion of what players he gets. I dont care what he does next year, what he has done to this team is already 10 times due for firing. Even if they won the cup i would hate him that how stupid the man is.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Some advice for Torts next season, don't have the Nazi camp. All we heard was the Rangers were the best conditioned team the first 10 games, then you never heard Joe "I make it sound like everybody's won 10 Cups" Micheletti mention it again. Why, because times have changed, players skate all summer and are usually in good shape already. Enough of the dictatorship, the punishing of the players. I don't want a country club training camp, but keep it reasonable man.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post

Okay, now we're looking way too much into this.

Was it their new coach or was it just their natural ability to actually play the game kicking in? Dubi and Staal are how old? Before this year, regardless of the coach, most of us expected them to turn that corner. Dubi especially since he was older and just got a nice raise. Staal has steadily progressed. Defensively he's progressed every year, offense showed some spurts but no way has it arrived. Anisimov played well down the stretch but Torts struggled all year to find him a legit spot, took way too long to get him away from Lisin. Nice finish though.

Gilroy & Lisin are two young guys he couldn't get going, now is that also a reflection of the coach? Maybe its cause they're limited players. Maybe some young guys make it and some don't.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Some advice for Torts next season, don't have the Nazi camp. All we heard was the Rangers were the best conditioned team the first 10 games, then you never heard Joe "I make it sound like everybody's won 10 Cups" Micheletti mention it again. Why, because times have changed, players skate all summer and are usually in good shape already. Enough of the dictatorship, the punishing of the players. I don't want a country club training camp, but keep it reasonable man.
Then why was the team in **** shape last year down the stretch?

Old
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
XLJ

"Marian Gaborik says line stability definitely helped the team's consistency."

That was from Andrew Gross Twitter. I hope Torts realizes this and doesn't switch line combinations every game.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post

That was from Andrew Gross Twitter. I hope Torts realizes this and doesn't switch line combinations every game.
yeah really..i mean, if it wasn't for the chemistry of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines they never would have scored the extra goals we needed to beat philly and get into the playoffs!

wait a second..

you can't blame a guy, coaching a team with a wattered down roster, for trying to roll with who's hot that game....not saying i'd do it, but i undserstand why he did it, and its not what held this team back

Old
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Rightfully so.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Rightfully so.
Rightfully so? You can make an argument for bringing Torts back, but I think it's hardly a slam-dunk decision.

Old
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Then why was the team in **** shape last year down the stretch?
We're talking about professional athletes here. This isn't the 1950s where athletes had second jobs in grocery stores and needed training camp to get back into shape. Why was the team tired? I have no clue maybe contrasting styles of play, learning a new system. That's what next years camp should be, studying and working on the "system" and team bonding not Hitler punishing people in camp.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
What kids?

Dubinsky has played over 230 games in the NHL.

Callahan has played over 220 games in the NHL.

Staal has played over 240 games in the NHL.
Do you honestly think these guys have reached there full potentiol & are at there peak? I don't. The 3 of them still have a bit or room to learn & grow.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Do you honestly think these guys have reached there full potentiol & are at there peak? I don't. The 3 of them still have a bit or room to learn & grow.
I don't think they've reached their full potential. But I'm also not ready to say that their progression is because of Torts.

Old
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post

Playing some of the worst teams in the league certainly didn't hurt either...

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think they've reached their full potential. But I'm also not ready to say that their progression is because of Torts.
Really? Look at Callahan's offensive numbers before and after Tortorella?

I can understand attributing Staal and Dubinsky to basic growth but Callahan was far too prominent.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote