HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eight Steps To Fix Flunking Rangers

Old
04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I understand, but I can see Sather trying to move his contract for another, which could be a better fit for the Rangers before doing something so drastic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but has a similar player to Redden, been buried yet by another club?
I'm sure he'll try, but I can't see any takers unless we're paying someone to take him.

As someone mentioned, Kaspar was a similar situation, but it was a result of not making the team out of camp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Wow, hard to believe NYR fans actually want to stay the course. Fact is, we've been burned so much by free agency that most of us are gunshy. But here's the thing? We're light years behind the Caps, Pens, Devs and Flyers in terms of talent. Probably Boston, too. Do you guys really want to gamble on Erik Christensen being the 1st line center next year? Do you think we'll compete with him in that spot? Because if you don't go after Marleau or B. Richards, that's what you're looking at. Another season of finishing in the bottom 10 in goals scored, and another waster season of Hank's prime. Dubinsky is not a 1st-line C and Anisimov skates like a beer league player.
Some of us are suggesting staying the course because we realize that we can't turn this team into a contender in 1 year and that adding big contracts will only make our situation worse.

It's not a matter of being gunshy. I'm sure that if we signed Kovy he'd be great for us. That isn't the problem. The problem would be our lack of depth, lack of cap flexibility and our inability to put a competitive team around him and Gaborik. Atlanta had Heatley and Kovy. They had Hossa and Kovy. They never won anything. Tampa has St. Louis, Lecavalier and Stamkos and still sucked this year.

Yeah, we have Lundqvist, but that only gets you into the playoffs. Without solid depth on our roster, we aren't coming close to winning a cup. We need to fix our cap problems, let our young players mature a little more, and then go after free agents to fill in where necessary.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i wouldn't like the idea that if my play drops off a little, i run into some bad luck, or my supporting cast falls apart my career in the NHL is over
Mullichicken - I don't totally disagree but if drop off a little or bad luck is one thing? We are talking about a complete disastrous fall from a player he once was.

From the 2000-01 season to 2005-06, the man was a great defenseman. Whether it was playing with a great partner or just was physically better, he was valuable. Look at his drop. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...ByprhQC6NivLYF

Now it is Sather who offered him his contract. It isn't the amount that I am addressing. You have a valid concern that your play may drop off a little. I think this is understating Redden's drop.

Also, if this is a concern, then as a Ranger fan, I wouldn't want that type of attitude when signing. The attitude towards the player that your NHL career will continue so long as you are capable of competing at an NHL level. If we have 10 defenseman in camp, if you are one of the top 6, then your NHL career will continue.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Chalfdiggity3

i think this has to be our offseason plans.. I actually agree with brooksie for the most part..We have to keep our core, and let free agents to be walk, while trading away some players who dont fit for solid draft picks.

1. Bury Redden in the minors
2. Let Prospal(to much money) and jokinen walk
3. resign players like staal and girardi
4. Trade Pa Pareaunto, gilroy, possibly rosie for picks.

I know its kind of gutting the team but it needs to be done alone with keeping the core the same. Bring up sangs/hekkinen/mcd bring up grachev to play, sign hamhuis/volchenkov/michalek. draft bpa with all picks including extra 2-4th rounders for gilroy and PA

Blank EC Gabby
Dubi Ani Cally
Grachev Drury Avery
Prust Boyle Shelley

Staal Girardi
FA MDZ
Hekkinen Rosie

i know its not much of a team but we get alot of better prospects with our draft.. lower our caphit and still remain slightly competitive. We can sign whatever stopgap player you want with some extra capspace but onyl for a year or 2.. Then next year we get another top10 pick, lose the caphit of drury.. then we can sign semin, and bring up more young players to play ,while guys like stepen, krieder, and them will be able to step up and play in the nhl.. finally wed have an incredible core with even more youth, capspace,

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Mullichicken - I don't totally disagree but if drop off a little or bad luck is one thing? We are talking about a complete disastrous fall from a player he once was.

From the 2000-01 season to 2005-06, the man was a great defenseman. Whether it was playing with a great partner or just was physically better, he was valuable. Look at his drop. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...ByprhQC6NivLYF

Now it is Sather who offered him his contract. It isn't the amount that I am addressing. You have a valid concern that your play may drop off a little. I think this is understating Redden's drop.

Also, if this is a concern, then as a Ranger fan, I wouldn't want that type of attitude when signing. The attitude towards the player that your NHL career will continue so long as you are capable of competing at an NHL level. If we have 10 defenseman in camp, if you are one of the top 6, then your NHL career will continue.
i agree for sure about the degree of his drop in play....but that wouldn't change my opinion as a prospective rangers' free agent signing

the bottom line is that I would see them killing the career of an NHL player who can still perform at an NHL level, even though not as much as the GM hoped when he made the offer...i doubt you'd find many other players who honestly feel he can't compete in the league anymore

that would, at the very least, make me think twice about signing in New York

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
i think this has to be our offseason plans.. I actually agree with brooksie for the most part..We have to keep our core, and let free agents to be walk, while trading away some players who dont fit for solid draft picks.

1. Bury Redden in the minors
2. Let Prospal(to much money) and jokinen walk
3. resign players like staal and girardi
4. Trade Pa Pareaunto, gilroy, possibly rosie for picks.

I know its kind of gutting the team but it needs to be done alone with keeping the core the same. Bring up sangs/hekkinen/mcd bring up grachev to play, sign hamhuis/volchenkov/michalek. draft bpa with all picks including extra 2-4th rounders for gilroy and PA
PA is UFA and would have very little trade value regardless.

Hekkinen won't be back next year. Maybe if we offer him a 1 way deal and promise him a spot, but otherwise he'll be gone.

It's possible that Grachev could win a spot in camp, but I think he'd be far better served by playing another year in the AHL.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
OverTheCap

One of Brooks' better articles, with the exception of including PAP in the core. I think we saw firsthand on Sunday why this guy can't stick around in the NHL. He had no business playing in such a crucial game.

As much as I'd like Kovalchuk, there are no quick fixes and the best thing for this team to do is probably avoid being a big player in the free market. Case in point: we signed a superstar forward in Gaborik last year and still didn't make the playoffs.

This team has too many holes and it can't be fixed in one offseason. The organization needs to be patient, something that I don't Sather is capable of. He wants that one last cup before he retires. It's so frustrating that this man can't swallow his pride already and step down.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Hekkinen won't be back next year. Maybe if we offer him a 1 way deal and promise him a spot, but otherwise he'll be gone.

It's possible that Grachev could win a spot in camp, but I think he'd be far better served by playing another year in the AHL.
if thats possible i'd do it

def. if Rosi is moved....i think he could handle a full season...especially if we just give him 3rd line minutes and dont expect ridiculous things

Old
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Whats the crusade against Parenteau?

He always played well for the most part for us. Not overly physical but if everyone has a weakness. If they want to round out other players' weaknesses, why is Parenteau any different?

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Whats the crusade against Parenteau?

He always played well for the most part for us. Not overly physical but if everyone has a weakness. If they want to round out other players' weaknesses, why is Parenteau any different?
at the end of the day PA is on the bottom level of a role the Ranger's are overfilled with

3rd line players

i think could have a pretty nice 3rd line, little PP, career in the NHL....just not here where there's a giant log jam infront of him

he needs to sign with a team that needs help filling out the bottom end of their roster...not the top

Old
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:

i didnt realize that PA is a ufa, sorry. Still can drop redden in the minors, free up 6.5mil.. Trade Gilroy and rosie for draft picks.. saves another 6mil i think. let jokinen walk..frees up another 5.5mil.. can resign prospal for cheap ONLY 1YR deal, if not let him walk. So right there frees up around 18million in capspace.. resign our core free agents in staal and girardi.. promise hekinnen a spot and get him in....

even with our RFA signed and all those players let go, well have around 12million to play with.. take that and either sign kovy and still have 3mil left over, or go out and sign hamhuis/volchenkov/michalek all very good 2way dmen, and id say have about 8mil left over, to play with..

Then the next season after that drury's contract comes up, theres another 7million and have 15million to sign ne1 we want while having our defense shored up, with the likes of mcd and sangs comming up, plus our draft picks from before like stepen n krieder, along with the guys we draft this year including the 2-4th rounders we get for gilroy and rosie

Old
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
FOXHOUND*

Volchenkov is worth it, but I wouldnt mind if he was the only FA signing we made.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The biggest issue is the pieces the Rangers need are all big ticket items. In no order:

1) A top 6 center

2) A scoring winger

3) A top pair defenseman

04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The biggest issue is the pieces the Rangers need are all big ticket items. In no order:

1) A top 6 center

2) A scoring winger

3) A top pair defenseman
Well we could possibly have both, trade rosie and gilroy to free up space to just get picks in the draft.

Let jokinen walk, drop redden to hartford, all those moves free up nearly 20million in capspace..

Resign core RFA's still have round 15million

Sign Kovy for 8million

Sign Volchenkov/hamhuis/michalek for 4mil

still have 3million left over, plus next year losing drury frees up another 7million..

that then give us another top 6 winger, and a top pairing dman

Old
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Well we could possibly have both, trade rosie and gilroy to free up space to just get picks in the draft.

Let jokinen walk, drop redden to hartford, all those moves free up nearly 20million in capspace..

Sign Kovy for 8million

still have 3million left over, plus next year losing drury frees up another 7million..

except things like that dont happen in the real world

we have to accept that all our cap problems are not vanishing in one season

Old
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
except things like that dont happen in the real world

we have to accept that all our cap problems are not vanishing in one season
yea but the funny thing is, that it actually can.. if we do exactly that, WHICH is easy

Old
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Gilroy has little value. You're not trading Rozsival without taking salary back.

Quote:
They're going to let Jokinen walk. If they were going to send Redden down, they would have done it already. No playoff revenue because of a dark Garden. Don't see Dolan ready to pay someone 6.5M to play in Hartford.

Quote:
Who are the core RFAs? Staal, Girardi, Prust and Christensen. You're not paying just 5M for them.

Quote:
Sign Kovy for 8million
Who says he signs for that?

Quote:
Who says they sign for that?

Quote:

They don't lose Drury next year. He's signed through 11-12.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
yea but the funny thing is, that it actually can.. if we do exactly that, WHICH is easy
No, it really isn't. Don't forget that Dubinsky, Callahan and Anismov are all RFAs at the end of next season.

Old
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
whatever you say, chief

Old
04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
FanHabtic

Out of curiosity has there been any press /media articles on the potential for Redden to be waived?

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

Sign Kovy for 8million

Drury isn't UFA until 2012.

The problem with trading Gilroy and Rozy, and waiving Redden, is that they have to be replaced. Ok, so you sign one of Volchenkov/Hamhuis/Michalek. Do we stick Sangs and McDonagh in the other spots? That's a lot of youth on the blueline, considering MDZ will only be in his 2nd year.

At this point, we are all just speculating that Redden will be waived. If he isn't, our hands will be pretty well tied in the free agent market.

Old
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
The Thomas J.*

We need a legit number one center NOW, if we have to trade for it than so be it. Kreider & Steppan may pan out, but that's still a couple of years away. We have assetts, we may as well use a few of them.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
We need a legit number one center, if we have to trade for it than so be it.
I think we could use a legit #2 center. Christensen seems to have some chemistry with Gaborik. If they can find a #2 center and save some money that way, they might be bettered served that way.

Old
04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The problem with trading Gilroy and Rozy, and waiving Redden, is that they have to be replaced.
Great point. And one I omitted. Thanks.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
the bottom line is that I would see them killing the career of an NHL player who can still perform at an NHL level, even though not as much as the GM hoped when he made the offer...i doubt you'd find many other players who honestly feel he can't compete in the league anymore
Cool. Certainly is an NHL caliber defenseman. He could probably add some value to a team as a 3rd pairing (if his salary was lower). I would be a terrible GM because I think I'd be willing to let him play for another year, given the current situation. The defensemen most likely to be moved or gone are Girardi, Rozsival, and Sanguinetti. (I don't necessarily agree or want that, just my opinion given our situation).

Chalfdiggity3 - I agree with SinginBlues. I don't think you are trading Rozsival without getting a contract back. The thing here is it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE Souray. If Sather could get a 2nd line forward for him, I'd be pretty happy. Trading Rozsival for picks seems unlikely to me.

I also do not see Kovalchuk coming here. And to be honest, I wouldn't be disappointed with that. (unless he ends up on Long Island). I think we may have to sit tight and work with what we have. Maybe hope that Del Zotto and Gilroy improve after a year of experience. I tell you though. Although they aren't superstars. If they could let Prust and Avery play their games. I think I could live with that during a "rebuilding year".

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote