HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

UPDATE: Theodore will talk in scrums to Montreal journalists

Old
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Perrah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fan Of View Post
I don't approuve this method, but I can understand it. Remember that the journalists are not the friends of the players.

For those in journalism, you know that it is not easy to have a job in that domain. When you have one, you will do "almost" anything to keep it. So, when you're boss says to go to Theodore's house, you go.

Also, please keep in minds that a "scoop" = often a raise or better work conditions.

Basically, there is three ways to have a scoop:

1)To be the "friend" of the player: Renaud Lavoie with Vincent Lecavalier and other Quebecers' players;

2)To have really good connexions: (I know that he is not a journalist, but it is for the example) Bob Hartley with the Hossa Pens/Thrashers trade;

3)To be the one to do the "duty works".

Beside, the fans are responsible for that kind of journalism, believe it or not. Journalists are not bad people, they won't go in the privacy of the players if they know that they won't sell anything tomorrow, because the fans don't care.

Finally, if we learn today (for example) that Gomez hurt himself by making high speed on his motocycle. Do you think that on this board we will talk about the bad ethic of the journalist or the fact that Gomez will miss all the playoffs ?
Depends if they are chasing gomez around on to try and get something and that happens or if they here about it and report on it. Also if the journalists arent the players friends why do the players have some sort of duty to tell them stuff, they dont get paid by the interview. People should be held accountable if they want to try to write about speculative crap, and half of the time be wrong. They dont deserve to get anything from people that they have speculated against.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I would kill 700 people just to be an employee at the Bell Centre.

Damn, what a job that would be.
What about the job of cleaning the Bell Center toilet bowls after a game?

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't blame Theo, I'd do the same thing. Actually I'd probably hold a press conference to tell them how much I can't stand them. Then I'd casually walk away from the podium letting them know they were #1 with a friendly hand gesture.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't blame Theo, I'd do the same thing. Actually I'd probably hold a press conference to tell them how much I can't stand them. Then I'd casually walk away from the podium letting them know they were #1 with a friendly hand gesture.

... then I'd get my Hells Angels buddies come in, surround them and beat up the lot of them with baseball bats.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Cocky

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
good ol echl

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I think it's smart for Theo to not play the Montreal media game. But on the other hand, it just confirms that messing with him is a viable strategy.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Mister Potato

Caps' coach Boudreau confirmed it will be Theodore in net for game 1.

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're right, journalists have a job because of the team. However, the journalists need the team as much as the team needs the journalists.

As I wrote in my previous posts, more journalists = more exposure = more persons are reached. If the Habs doesn't have 3 pages in four newspapers almosts each day, even in the summer, the Habs will still be popular, but their popularity will have declined.

Again, they are now "gossip columnists" because this is what a large majority of the "fans" (I don't say this is good btw), want. If they didn't like that type of journalism, they would not buy the newspapers.

I could bet my shirt that one the most bought Journal de Montréal ever was the one with Theodore (injury or Paris Hilton), Brisebois (Paris, France) or the one with Malakhov (ski, Tremblant).
It's not like Theo is ignoring all journalists though. I'm sure he's talking to Caps media and etc. Selectively ignoring a media not even in the city you play for shouldn't affect the Caps popularity much.

I think this shows that the media might finally do something beneficial to the Habs on ice performance by messing with opponents heads for a change.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Adriatic

Good for Theo..Most of these journalist don't deserve his quotes, and good for him for dealing with Gagnon who's actually level headed.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Bob Cole

good for him

Gagnon is the closest thing to a journalist.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
JackZap

boo hoo, grow the **** up Jose. what a baby!

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguy10 View Post
good for him

Definately.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
... then I'd get my Hells Angels buddies come in, surround them and beat up the lot of them with baseball bats.
Haha...that would be a nice finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Cocky
Oh course, they don't call me Napoleon in my real life for nothing.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Gary320

Gagnon is the closest thing to a journalist?

What? LOL. That's news to me.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

so Boudreau confirm Theo will start game 1

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...let-10517.html

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Good news, that means were already living rent free in his head, I'm telling you this guy is fragile, we'll bring down his psyche!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
guest1467

THHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOO ORRRRRRRRRRE.

We are going to get you.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguy10 View Post
good for him

MAG ? Mathias Brunet ?

Gagnon wasn't in the top 5 (Hf Habs' board) of the worst journalists like 3-4 months ago ?

Now, since Theo wants to talk only to him, he improves automatically ?

(BTW: I always thought that Gagnon was an ok journalist)

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
MAG ? Mathias Brunet ?

Gagnon wasn't in the top 5 (Hf Habs' board) of the worst journalists like 3-4 months ago ?

Now, since Theo wants to talk only to him, he improves automatically ?

(BTW: I always thought that Gagnon was an ok journalist)
Yeah, I would vote Brunet hands down before I would vote for Gagnon... not that I mind him all that much

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Part of a professional athlete's job is dealing with journalists.

They get paid such high salaries in large part because of media coverage, and shunning them is effectively biting the hand that feeds them.
I think they're all repaying the media because out of all those ''journalists'' maybe 1% of them would be working if they didn't cover Hockey.

Think all those idiots hired on RDS or V would still have a job if they didn't cover the Habs??..

Theodore plays for the CAPS. If he doesn't want to talk to the media of an opposing city, it's his every right and good for him.

Our players should adapt the same attitude too.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
You're right, journalists have a job because of the team. However, the journalists need the team as much as the team needs the journalists.

As I wrote in my previous posts, more journalists = more exposure = more persons are reached. If the Habs doesn't have 3 pages in four newspapers almosts each day, even in the summer, the Habs will still be popular, but their popularity will have declined.

Again, they are now "gossip columnists" because this is what a large majority of the "fans" (I don't say this is good btw), want. If they didn't like that type of journalism, they would not buy the newspapers.

I could bet my shirt that one the most bought Journal de Montréal ever was the one with Theodore (injury or Paris Hilton), Brisebois (Paris, France) or the one with Malakhov (ski, Tremblant).
The team needs journalist? Really? Why may I ask?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Our players should adapt the same attitude too.
Imagine if Gomez arrives and says that he will only talk with MAG in the future. This is similar to a public relation suicide:

1. All other journalists are now in war with him;

2. Fans who read those journalists will start to hate Gomez. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the popularity of certain journalists such Réjean Tremblay, Yvon Pedneault, Bertrand Raymond, etc;

3. Some fans will start to boo Gomez at the Bell Center. (Come on, if they booed Price, don't you think they will not boo a guy who publicly refuses to talk to the majority of journalists.

4. Don't forget also the corporate power. You shut the locker room to all journalists (or to some journalists) you have Bell (RDS), Quebecor (JdM, TVA, Canoe), Power Coporation (La Presse), etc who is knocking on Pierre Boivin's door the following day. How much money do you think these companies give to the Habs each year for seats, charity events, "loge", etc. I am pretty sure that Mr .Desmarais from Power Corporation has Mr. Molson number on his cell.

However, if Théo doesn't want to speak to all MTL journalists, this is not the same situation.

Last edited by Georges Gorges: 04-13-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
The team needs journalist? Really? Why may I ask?
No Problem,

You will find some of my previous posts. (Sorry I don't know who to quote myself yet)

Don't forget also the corporate power. You shut the locker room to all journalists (or to some journalists) you have Bell (RDS), Quebecor (JdM, TVA, Canoe), Power Coporation (La Presse), etc who is knocking on Pierre Boivin's door the following day. How much money do you think these companies give to the Habs each year for seats, charity events, "loge", etc. I am pretty sure that Mr .Desmarais from Power Corporation has Mr. Molson number on his cell.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think he wanted to say that if there is less journalists (I know that it is impossible in MTL, but it is for the example) that cover the Habs' games and activities, the popularity of the Habs will decline.

Like it or not, but it helps the popularity of the Habs when La Presse, Rue Frontenac, Gazette and Journal De Montréal have like 3 full pages on the Habs each day, even in the summer. Imagine if the Habs had the same publicity than the Impact. There was only a small "Associated Press" (ou La Presse Canadienne) regarding the first Impact's game.

Also, on HF boards, members always say that "most of the bad Habs' fans" are the ones who just repeat the words of Réjean Tremblay, etc. Without them, I am pretty sure that many fans will not care or careless about the Habs.

Less journalists = Less Habs exposure = less fans = less persons at the Bell Center and less persons that buy Habs' merchandises = Habs are less profitable = Molson will maybe not be that inclined to spend to the cap and give big money to his players.

I am know you will probably find this ridiculous, but I am sure that the owners from the Ducs, Bolts, etc would like to have more than a part-time journalist to follow the team activity.

All publicity (especially, when it is free), is good publicity, even the bad ones. The important is to talk about the Habs.

Last edited by Georges Gorges: 04-13-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Gagnon is the closest thing to a journalist?

What? LOL. That's news to me.
Well he did that his entire life, the guy never played meaningful hockey like most of Montreal media.

They should only hire ex-nhlers their opinions and insight are so much better ( see Joel Bouchard, Eric Fichaud, Marc Denis ect)

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote