HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Erik Christensen Appreciation Thread (Re-sign him!)

Old
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
He has produced a + ROI for this year. You have to look at the risk vs. reward..... and I think it's a no-brainer..

sign him..

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
No doubt Christensen has some skill. The question is do you want this guy playing second line center if you finally get the 1st line center you really need. Then Dubinksy is moved to the wing or 3rd line? Drury is the prototypical 3rd line center/PK guy so hes got to get his time somewhere. (The way hes played in certain stretches more like a 4th line guy).
I've never really understood this concern. Many teams carry more than 4 players who are listed as centers. It's not a big deal for most centers to play wing, but it's harder for a wing to play center, which is why many teams carry extra players capable of playing center.

So what if Drury or Dubinsky move to the wing? Maybe Christensen moves to the wing. The best players play. If Christensen is one of our best, then he deserves whatever ice time he gets. Don't see a problem with that.

Quote:
I really like what Christensen has brought to the team but it isn't as simple as signing him just because he had a nice bounceback year off of waivers. Lets not forget he hasn't played a full season, so hes got a lot left in the tank now when the rest of the league hasn't. I think the Rangers (especially Sather) get caught up in these human interest stories and bounceback years like Prospal and Christensen but you have to be careful you are resigning them for the right reasons. If the Rangers get the legit center they need for Gaborik, there really isnt a need for Christensen.
It's absolutely that simply. His salary this year is 750k. His QO will be $787,500. He's arbitration eligible, but I can't see either the Rangers or Christensen electing arbitration. He will play for his QO and then he will be UFA the following year (unless we sign him for more than 1 year, which is possible, but then he would probably get a little more money).

Who are you replacing him with that is A) Better than him and B) Less expensive?

The only thing it costs us is a the roster spot, so maybe he holds back Weise for 1 more year, but if Weise deserves to be on the team, he will be on the team. Just like Artie this year. Just like Korp the year before.

Quote:
One of the biggest problems the Rangers (specifically Sather) have is their lack of foresight, player evaluation and a plan when building a team. This team lacks proper construction, and mainly because of salaries. Christensen might be a nice inexpensive fallback option if they can't secure a true 1st line center. If the plan is to move Dubi to the wing then so be it, hes probably a good candidate for a center position because he has some good skill and is cheap. But i always saw Dubi as a pivot. So its more about how he fits in then a simple "do you want him or not" discussion.
You'll get no argument on the bolded part, but who is the #1 center you think we are going to get? Short of sending Redden to Hartford, we don't have the money. At worst, Christensen can be a 13th forward. Or he can be traded after he's signed. Or he can be sent to Hartford. There's absolutely no downside to re-signing him. None.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
terrrrrible

yes, please. resign!

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I like dubinsky on gaborik's line regardless of whether he's the center or wing. He's currently the only player on our team who's good enough to be on the top line and can protect gaborik

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
mentos11

u gotta re-sign him...give him a one or two year deal at $1 mil per. He was one of our top players in the second half. I think his confidence will continue to build if he plays here. He has great skills and also is very good in the shootout. (53% for his career i think)

mentos11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
AJRanger

There's a quote from Jim Cerny that has EC saying he's started enjoying the game again since he's been here. Loved his play, definitely want him back - can't imagine he'd ask for much if it means him finally sticking in one place for a while.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
He's got 22 points in 42 games with the Rangers for 750K. Yes he's played with Gabby for half of it but just how good has Gabby been the second half of the season on his own?

He's on pace for a 44 point season if he played all 82 games. Only two players have over 40 points(excluding Jokinen) on this team and there are just 6 games left.
THIS is his endorsement? That he was on pace for 44 points? THAT is what you want from your second line center? Really? He has 4 more points than Kotalik.

Just how good was Gabby? I don't know, look at Prospal's numbers and tell me. Christensen was a nice story, but he is nowhere near the top-2 lines on a contending team. He disappeared for large stretches of his 40+ games. He is extremely easy to push around and is utterly unsuitable for bottom-2 line duties. If you can go around the league and tell me on how many teams is Christensen a top-2 line center....

One man's trash is seldom another man's treasure.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
THIS is his endorsement? That he was on pace for 44 points? THAT is what you want from your second line center? Really? He has 4 more points than Kotalik.

Just how good was Gabby? I don't know, look at Prospal's numbers and tell me. Christensen was a nice story, but he is nowhere near the top-2 lines on a contending team. He disappeared for large stretches of his 40+ games. He is extremely easy to push around and is utterly unsuitable for bottom-2 line duties. If you can go around the league and tell me on how many teams is Christensen a top-2 line center....

Prospal and Gaborik both somewhat disappeared down the stretch that is what this poster is saying..

You shouldn't ignore points just to try and prove your own.

Obviously the guy is no crosby or backstrom but he filled a huge hole for us for much of the year and unexpectedly so. I would love to have him back next year and he is an ideal 2nd or 3rd liner.

Not every player on your team is going to score 60 + points, you dont just dump 26 year olds who have shown much promise since coming to your club.

Dubinsky is 23 and had 44 points
Callahan is 25 and had 37 points

I guess we should just dump those guys also?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
DrAStuart

Not to belabour a disagreement (cuz we're not gonna change each other's minds)...but an interesting quote from Gross' latest blog post:

Tortorella said down the stretch Parenteau was the team’s third most talented player behind Gaborik and Christensen

Not bad for 'trash'...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Prospal and Gaborik both somewhat disappeared down the stretch that is what this poster is saying..
Sure, but to me they were certainly much more visible than Christensen. Being a 48 point scorer on as a top-6 forward, when your only attribute is to be a playmaking center, is not that wonderfull.
Quote:
Not every player on your team is going to score 60 + points, you dont just dump 26 year olds who have shown much promise since coming to your club.
I guess that's the thing. Given where he plaid and with whom, I really do not think that he showed all that much promise.
Quote:
Dubinsky is 23 and had 44 points
Callahan is 25 and had 37 points

I guess we should just dump those guys also?
Callahan has already been a 20 goal scorer and netted 19 this year. He, unlike Christensen, would not be counted as a top-6 forward, but a 3rd line player.

Dubinksy is 3 years younger and is coming off of his first 20 goal season (in 69 games). He can also bring aspects that Christensen does not bring. Dubinsky is also one of those who can play on the 3rd line if top-6 does not work out.

Old
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
mullichicken25

i dont get it...are people flat out against bringing him back?

its a low-risk high-reward situation...in a sense like signing prospal last season

if it doesn't work out, oh well, cut the ties....but if it does, then the rangers hit got pretty damn lucky

its not like his contract will really keep someone better off the roster

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

Um where did I say he would be our 2nd line center?

1M for a 45 point scorer that can be put on any of the top 3 lines if need be for injuries or whatever is a steal.

What does Kotalik and his 3M/4YR contract have to do with him? Your entire argument is horrible, I don't care how many teams want him as a 2nd line center or understand the relevance.

So yes, THAT is his endorsement. Unless you have a better idea to spend less then around 1M on a player who will score us 40-45 points.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id keep him at a slight raise...say 150k...otherwise kthxbai.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Chazoulay

he's a keeper!

Chazoulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Um where did I say he would be our 2nd line center?
Well, what are you touting him for? Do you really think that this is a top-line center? If not, then do you think that he is a 3rd line center capable of going up against the other teams top line in a defensive roles?
Quote:
1M for a 45 point scorer that can be put on any of the top 3 lines if need be for injuries or whatever is a steal.
That's just my point. Point out the playoff teams on which Christensen would be considered a top-2 line center? If not there, then why here? And since he does not have the attributes that I would look for in a 3rd line center, he is nowhere.
Quote:
What does Kotalik and his 3M/4YR contract have to do with him?
From a production point, Kotalik was not all that different than Christensen. And did not nearly spend as much time with Gaborik.
Quote:
Your entire argument is horrible, I don't care how many teams want him as a 2nd line center or understand the relevance.
The relevance is that it seems that unless he can produce as a top-6 forward, then he is useless. Especially since I do not consider him to be a 3rd line option as I do not view his defensive prowers to be noteworthy. And I do not view a player with his offensive production, and given how long he got to play at a top-6 forward, as a particularly enticing option. I do not believe that contending teams have Christensen as a top-6 forward.
Quote:
So yes, THAT is his endorsement. Unless you have a better idea to spend less then around 1M on a player who will score us 40-45 points.
In a capped league, I would find a better use for the money.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
To put it simply

EC26Rewls.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote