HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Moving up in the draft. What would it take?

Old
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

vCash: 500
Draft Nick Bjugstad and you will realize very soon that you have a top 10 pick in your hands!

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
InglewoodJack

Halk + 1st for?

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Halk + 1st for?
Price + 1st for?

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVries View Post
Price + 1st for?
Crosby, Malkin or Ovy?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Moving up is overrated... and likely overpriced. We'll have about as good a chance at getting as good a player at #15 as at #7,8,9 this year, I say. Or at least, near enough as to not be worth giving up anything of note to move. Didn't we have McDonagh and Marc Staal ranked top-7 in recent drafts? Who's to say that the player we rank up there will be the right one, or that the one who falls down a bit a la Parise or Getzlaf won't end up being the best one for us? Stand pat at #15, I say. Always consider trading down and picking up an extra 2nd ahead of trading up.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Why not trade for another draft pick instead? Two average/late 1st rounder probably beats having a top10 draft pick (unless its top4)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Moving up is overrated... and likely overpriced. We'll have about as good a chance at getting as good a player at #15 as at #7,8,9 this year, I say. Or at least, near enough as to not be worth giving up anything of note to move. Didn't we have McDonagh and Marc Staal ranked top-7 in recent drafts? Who's to say that the player we rank up there will be the right one, or that the one who falls down a bit a la Parise or Getzlaf won't end up being the best one for us? Stand pat at #15, I say. Always consider trading down and picking up an extra 2nd ahead of trading up.
I agree with most of what you said , but don't tell me you just compared McDonagh to Marc Staal!!

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
TheBuriedHab

I would trade halak plus to tampa for their pick. I really Want that Johansen kid. All the talk in the draft thread from people who know what they are talking about really like him. Tsn has him as the top riser at number 7 or 8 in the draft now. We need to get him.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
We have 2 stud goalies, and we can't keep both. Logic Dictates you trade one. What better time then the Draft?

Halak+Andrei Kostitsyn+Sergei Kostitsyn for Tampa's 1st, and 2nd this year. They get 2 top six players and a stud starting olympic goalie. A Much better deal considering Brian Burke traded 4 picks for 1 35 goal scorer.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:19 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
We have 2 stud goalies, and we can't keep both. Logic Dictates you trade one. What better time then the Draft?

Halak+Andrei Kostitsyn+Sergei Kostitsyn for Tampa's 1st, and 2nd this year. They get 2 top six players and a stud starting olympic goalie. A Much better deal considering Brian Burke traded 4 picks for 1 35 goal scorer.
I can live without the brothers (especially Andrei) but we would need to replace them if we were to trade them.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVries View Post
Price + 1st for?
Don't start.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
I agree with most of what you said , but don't tell me you just compared McDonagh to Marc Staal!!
No comparison made, other than that the Habs were rumoured to have both of them ranked way inside the top-10... and better players ranked later. Staal might have been an ok pick anyway if we hadn't taken Price. But the main point is that the Habs supposedly had both him and McDonagh ranked high, despite them both ultimately being available at #12. A similar situation is likely to occur this year, as it is every year. Moving up isn't usually worth the effort. There will be good players at #15. The trick is to get the right one. And develop him right.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Habssupporter

Quote:
No comparison made, other than that the Habs were rumoured to have both of them ranked way inside the top-10... and better players ranked later. Staal might have been an ok pick anyway if we hadn't taken Price. But the main point is that the Habs supposedly had both him and McDonagh ranked high, despite them both ultimately being available at #12. A similar situation is likely to occur this year, as it is every year. Moving up isn't usually worth the effort. There will be good players at #15. The trick is to get the right one. And develop him right.
Totally with you there. You don't trade multiple picks or asset just to have a higher pick. Usally you target a player that you really want and if you feel that you have to trade up to be able to select him, you do it. Otherwise i'm not sure it's really worth it.
I think there is going to be some good talent there but if Forbert, Bjugstad, skinner, johansen are all gone i think i'd like to pick up an extra second rounder and target Brock Nelson later in the first round. Otherwise Merill or Tinordi might be nice too, not exactly exciting picks but some that you look back and smile for selecting them.

Habssupporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Don't start.
Start what? We could get a top 5 pick with this, so yes I would do it and many people (who don't adore Price as a God) would too.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:53 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

IMO the K's are the ones with the Most value that we can live without...

Mtl 1st + SK+ AK for top5 Pick. If they say no throw in a Yannick Weber or Matthieu Carle

Ps. If Paches Lives up to expectations next year id see him go well with Cammy/Plecks. Thats how i'd replace AK

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I agree, if we feel we can get the player we want at say 20 rather than 15 I would trade down to get an extra pick, but to include next years first to move up 6 or 7 places isn't worth it.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote