HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Theodore will talk in scrums to Montreal journalists

Old
04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
I think Gagnon is a great reporter. His articles are pretty fun to read. I think too many people are hard to satisfy in this fanbase.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fan Of View Post
I can't argue with that, you're right. They could exist.

However, how do the fans could receive their information about the team if there is no media ? From press releases of Donald Beauchamps ?

It will be some prepared "robot" responses with no real place to criticize. I receive "Canadiens Le magazine" at my house and I like it. However, sometime it is really but really to much positive and "Pro-habs". It is like eating too many candies.

Habs is almost the most important thing in Quebec, after the weather. I know they would not disappear if there was no journalist.

However, if there is no mention of the Habs in the newspaper and on TV (or maybe just the stats), I am sure that the Habs will lose a really big quantity of fans.

Here on HF Boards, members are almost all die-hard fans, so it is not possible for us not to be an Habs fan (maybe after 3 losses, but that is another story ).

However, the media coverage is also free publicity for the Habs. As I wrote, all publicity is good, even the bad one. The important is that the Habs are "in the face" of the most person in the morning and in the evening.

So, for the normal non-die hard fan or the occasionnal fan, if you don't talk about the Habs in the media, they will slowly lose their interest in the team. They won't talk about last evening game during their lunch break/coffee break at their job, they won't know the names of the players, the standings, etc.

For example, my father. He reads La Presse and when we watch a game together, he will say:

-Do you agree with Réjean Tremblay when he wrote that this morning ?
-Did you read the articles of Gagnon on Halak this morning.
-Did you see what Gomez said after the victory against the Blues ? It was pretty funny.

You put a small article from Associated Press in La Presse instead of an article of François Gagnon or an opinion from Ronald King (for example) and the Habs just lost one fan. My dad will not go on the internet and he will just check from time to time the standings. He will watch maybe one game during the week, but that's it.

Don't overestimate the interest of the "normal" fan. Remember, a few years ago, the Molson center wasn't full. I know, ice product wasn't very good, but come on we enter the playoffs this year by the behind door, we are not that good !

We have some really good journalists in Montreal, the real problem is that we have so many journalists, that it is normal to have more bad journalists than any other town (except NY and Toronto).

It is the same argument than for the fans. Sure we have a lot of bad fans, but there is so many habs fans in the world, that it normal that there is more "bad" fans than any other team.
However you wanna twist it, montreal Habs media are a consequence of the team and it's fans, not the other way around as some in the media like to portray it.

You wanna know what would happen without them? Somebody else would take their place, because it is a hole to fill, hence why they are a consequence of the market. They are there because of demand, not because they create the demand.

In 2003, the Montreal sports media were cut out of team flights and travels. To this day, we can still feel the animosity towards the Habs by a good portion of the medias who are still involved with hockey. Did it stop the Habs from being more popular? Nope. Did it stop corporate seats and sponsorships? Nope. The only thing it did negative (negative, because of the backlash), was to piss off the journalists who mangled too much with the team's internal affairs (which was a positive to take them out of the picture).

If they keep on pushing the envelope, one day most of them will be kicked out of the lockeroom, and only a chosen few will be given access. It is in their best interests to keep in mind that they wouldn't have it this good if it weren't for the Habs and their fans. They tend to show something else than gratitude.

They should also realize they have a lot of independant competition on the net, competition which isn't focused on sensationalism and personal agendas.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I think Gagnon is a great reporter. His articles are pretty fun to read. I think too many people are hard to satisfy in this fanbase.
I've noticed he's matured a lot since the infamous Kovalev article. Also has put some of his pro-Sens bias aside. He's become a better journalist.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
However you wanna twist it, montreal Habs media are a consequence of the team and it's fans, not the other way around as some in the media like to portray it.

You wanna know what would happen without them? Somebody else would take their place, because it is a hole to fill, hence why they are a consequence of the market. They are there because of demand, not because they create the demand.

In 2003, the Montreal sports media were cut out of team flights and travels. To this day, we can still feel the animosity towards the Habs by a good portion of the medias who are still involved with hockey. Did it stop the Habs from being more popular? Nope. Did it stop corporate seats and sponsorships? Nope. The only thing it did negative (negative, because of the backlash), was to piss off the journalists who mangled too much with the team's internal affairs (which was a positive to take them out of the picture).

If they keep on pushing the envelope, one day most of them will be kicked out of the lockeroom, and only a chosen few will be given access. It is in their best interests to keep in mind that they wouldn't have it this good if it weren't for the Habs and their fans. They tend to show something else than gratitude.
Your right about the plane (and the animosity), this was a good decision. Agree also on the fact that some journalists think that they are "stars".

However, if you take the journalists out of the locker room, where they will make their interviews ?

Ok, let say that the Habs accepts 3 journalists from each of the big company (RDS, Power Corporation, Quebecor, etc). How they are going to be chosen ? Do the Habs will pass interviews to these journalists ? And they will need to bring their last articles ?

You see the problem:

If the companies choose, they will choose their big stars and the new young journalists will be left behind.

If the Habs choose, do you think that they will choose the journalist that has pink-glasses or the one who says that the last trade was bad or the last decision of JM wasn't good (even if his articles is based on good facts) ?

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
BakerNator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Part of a professional athlete's job is dealing with journalists.

They get paid such high salaries in large part because of media coverage, and shunning them is effectively biting the hand that feeds them.
Hand that feeds them?

The press needs Theodore, Theodore doesn't need the press.

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fan Of View Post
Your right about the plane (and the animosity), this was a good decision. Agree also on the fact that some journalists think that they are "stars".

However, if you take the journalists out of the locker room, where they will make their interviews ?

Ok, let say that the Habs accepts 3 journalists from each of the big company (RDS, Power Corporation, Quebecor, etc). How they are going to be chosen ? Do the Habs will pass interviews to these journalists ? And they will need to bring their last articles ?

You see the problem:

If the companies choose, they will choose their big stars and the new young journalists will be left behind.

If the Habs choose, do you think that they will choose the journalist that has pink-glasses or the one who says that the last trade was bad or the last decision of JM wasn't good (even if his articles is based on good facts) ?
I'm not suggesting how it should work, I'm merely suggesting the Habs have cut them from under in the past (and did not impeed the organization in any direct way), and would likely do so in the future if those journalists keep believing they're bigger than the Habs and the fans, and this might or not include giving access to the LR to certain journalists or just plainly put a lower LIMIT of the number who can go in. The consequences of doing such won't be dramatic, that's why I laugh at how ignorant some journalists are, digging their own economic graves. The lowlives among them will get cut short again, and the weeding out will continue, which will infuriate some even more.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
anctilndg

If Montreal fans do the same then shows like l,antichambre, attack a 5... would disapeer.

The only thing keeping them around is the attention they get from viewers and readers, thus providing them with commercials.

Theres

anctilndg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TheGudge

Tomas Jagr

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Send Michel Villeneuve to his hotel room.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
He's not a great reporter but plays one on tv.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Too bad our players weren't that smart.
Our players should say as much as things as they should. It's the only chance we got.

And Theo won't be able to stop the mics after games.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Wow...he didn't say anything bad on Theodore. He just threw out facts that he would prefer to play Theodore than Miller or Brodeur. I am sorry but historically Brodeur and Miller have stoned us every game while Theodore has played average at best against us.

What is even funnier is the Caps' players reaction, they make it seem like it's a travesty...whatever gets them going.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Wow...he didn't say anything bad on Theodore. He just threw out facts that he would prefer to play Theodore than Miller or Brodeur. I am sorry but historically Brodeur and Miller have stoned us every game while Theodore has played average at best against us.

What is even funnier is the Caps' players reaction, they make it seem like it's a travesty...whatever gets them going.
That's because they most likely didn't see the interview. It's the media, again, trying to stir **** up. They asked Plekanec themselves what he thinks about the goalies and his answer was not offensive at all. Of course, then they go and say that Plekanec said their goalies aren't very good blah blah blah when in fact, he was asked about it. Mike Green said he was surprised that Plekanec would say that. He probably doesn't know that he was ASKED about it and didn't just come up and say it.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

Could Jose teach some of our players that trick?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:01 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerNator View Post
Hand that feeds them?

The press needs Theodore, Theodore doesn't need the press.
Good point. Unfortunately in the media universe the tail wags the dog. Or so they feel.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
That's because they most likely didn't see the interview. It's the media, again, trying to stir **** up. They asked Plekanec themselves what he thinks about the goalies and his answer was not offensive at all. Of course, then they go and say that Plekanec said their goalies aren't very good blah blah blah when in fact, he was asked about it. Mike Green said he was surprised that Plekanec would say that. He probably doesn't know that he was ASKED about it and didn't just come up and say it.
The media always finds a way to ask baited questions. They might as well ask a player if he would like to ravish one of the coaches daughters, or do you think they are too ugly. The best answer is no answer . . . sometimes

Old
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Haha, I love the fact it's already in his head.

Remember how he broke down under pressure against Carolina?

Against Tampa Bay?

Remember how he got DESTROYED and humiliated in his return with Colorado?

It's pretty simple, the moment he lets in a weak goal or game, he's done in this series. The crowd will eat him alive and it'll be a treat to watch. I look forward for some THEO THEO THEO chants, I want to see him cry

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Good point. Unfortunately in the media universe the tail wags the dog. Or so they feel.
Thanks for the mental image..

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Haha, I love the fact it's already in his head.

Remember how he broke down under pressure against Carolina?

Against Tampa Bay?

Remember how he got DESTROYED and humiliated in his return with Colorado?

It's pretty simple, the moment he lets in a weak goal or game, he's done in this series. The crowd will eat him alive and it'll be a treat to watch. I look forward for some THEO THEO THEO chants, I want to see him cry
I have a feeling, because of comments like these, that he'll come out strong. I almost want him to come out strong (but the Habs still need to win, 7 shutouts by Halak? )

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:54 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Good. It's about time someone stands up to the horde.

Why Gagnon though!?
He's his golfing buddy at Le Mirage.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
bluefleetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
Wow, the journalist could deal the fans a favor and harrass him a bit to get him off his game.

JOURNALIST could actually HELP the team!

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen...

bluefleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Frankenheimer

Pleks gets asked a loaded question, he answers it honestly, and this is what happens. That's why players opt for canned statements. That's why player interviews are generally so boring. There's no way around that problem. Media interviews are the equivalent of a giant message board, quotes being taken out of context for fodder, and people responding irrationally. Add in twitter and other social media, and you can't really say anything remotely honest. Bull Durham 101.

"Theodore is a great goalie, has a lot of experience, and is just as good as Miller and Brodeur, in my honest opinion."

"Come on, as good?"

"Better in fact. Look at his wins-loss record. That says it all"

"But his save percentage..."

"Team stat."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Whatev, Theo is a MONSTER, we call him the Kraken in the locker room."

"So, you're not even a tiny bit glad you're not facing Miller or Brodeur"

"I'm depressed. As soon as I found out we were facing Theo I ran to our team psychologist and cried like a little girl. He's that good. We pray at night that he might allow one goal just to not make us look bad."

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:06 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Gagnon is by far the best reporter in Montreal

His former Pro-Sens bias didn't really bother funny; It was funny watching him sticking it to the guys a 110% everytime the Sens beat the Habs

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Pleks gets asked a loaded question, he answers it honestly, and this is what happens. That's why players opt for canned statements. That's why player interviews are generally so boring. There's no way around that problem. Media interviews are the equivalent of a giant message board, quotes being taken out of context for fodder, and people responding irrationally. Add in twitter and other social media, and you can't really say anything remotely honest. Bull Durham 101.

"Theodore is a great goalie, has a lot of experience, and is just as good as Miller and Brodeur, in my honest opinion."

"Come on, as good?"

"Better in fact. Look at his wins-loss record. That says it all"

"But his save percentage..."

"Team stat."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Whatev, Theo is a MONSTER, we call him the Kraken in the locker room."

"So, you're not even a tiny bit glad you're not facing Miller or Brodeur"

"I'm depressed. As soon as I found out we were facing Theo I ran to our team psychologist and cried like a little girl. He's that good. We pray at night that he might allow one goal just to not make us look bad."
You should send your CV to Pierre Boivin

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote