HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weights on skates for kids

Old
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Weights on skates for kids

Just like the title says: Is it a good or bad idea to get weights on skates for a Atom player 8-9year old??

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Ribosome

That idea should be taken out back and shot.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post
That idea should be taken out back and shot.
Yep. At that age, just let them develop their ankle strength naturally and if he/she sticks with hockey then they will eventually have strong enough ankles.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
happyhab*

Why should the idea be shot...some of us don't have the hockey knowledge like people liek you. Some are new to the game and dont know how to develop our kids. We see other kids doing so well and not know how they get there

Old
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

The only way to make sure your kids succeeds is sufficient ice time and proper skating technique. No gym needed and no off-ice exercises needed.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Love793

I think what they where getting at is, in hockey like other sports a lot of gimmic gear (training aids) seem to get sold that promise everything from turning your kid into the fastest kid on ice to making the kid the next Syd Crosby over night. A lot of parents with the kids best interest at heart buy these gimmics and try to use them on their Novice/Atom/Pee Wee kids when most of the kids haven't developed physically the muscles/and muscle memory to properly use these aids. Skate weights fall into this category. Getting the kid to learn the basics first, build the muscle memory and then the muscles should be the priority.

Love793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

hey man, just pick out heavier skates. your kid is 8.

maybe when he's 15 or something, but even then it's better to work the muscles in your foot and leg to be used to skating without weights.

i think weight training should mostly be done off ice, but i could definitely see weights helping for some skaters, but not your kid.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM
HowToHockey

I agree, at that age just focus on proper technique. I think skate weights might hinder development because the player is still learning. If they use skate weights they will be learning how to skate with weights.

What you need is repetition, which means a lot of skating. Public skating, and stick and puck sessions will help

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

If you really want to build the ultimate 9 year old ringer, then follow this:

Put a weight vest on top of his gear (a very light one, maybe like 10 pounds for training sessions, 5 pounds for games).

Put an additional 5 pounds on each leg in the hockey pants, distribute this as much as you can.

Also put half a pound on each wrist for games, and a very small weight on the bottom of his stick for puck handling sessions (the weight will just fall and hit the blade so that it does not dislodge).

You should also get a orange puck, they're heavier and will make shooting the blacks one easier.

I wouldn't go with weights on skates though, just because I think that disrupts technique.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
Why should the idea be shot...some of us don't have the hockey knowledge like people liek you. Some are new to the game and dont know how to develop our kids. We see other kids doing so well and not know how they get there
No need for weights. If you want to do something to help, get him doing foot work drills to help improve his foot speed.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Just like the title says: Is it a good or bad idea to get weights on skates for a Atom player 8-9year old??
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about weights for an 8 year old player. The most important thing you can teach him right now is skating. 80% of hockey is skating. 80% of skating is balance. Find a power skating program that works more on balance for that age group. This is more important then weights.

Head coach

04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Ribosome

Quote:
I apologize, I should have explained myself a little further. I am sure it was an entirely innocent question, and you just want your kid to be the best he can.

With that being said, it would be silly to start training with weights that early. The only thing you should be "training" at that age is how fun it is to play the game, and technique/positioning.

When he starts developing at 12-13 you could start thinking about weights on hands, or body vests for training purposes. However, I think weights on skates would only make the skating worse.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
noobman

As most have mentioned... technique is more important at this stage in the game. Adding weights to their skates will just add undue stress on the lower body, and may cause them to develop poor technique... perhaps a movement that's easier to carry weight with, but harder to achieve good speed/balance with.

If you're worried about leg strength, make a game out of jumping squats for the kids.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
happyhab*

Thank you everyone for your informative replies...It's nice to be able to ask questions and get smart responses