HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Game thread: 9/26, 7:35pm - Bruins vs Canadiens - WBZ1030AM (preseason)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2003, 05:47 PM
  #51
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,915
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
You're worse than me; all you care about is winning at any cost!

no..not really..I just prefer a steak over a cheeseburger...

and I do agree that a solid Vet backup would be the ideal situation,,,

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:29 PM
  #52
ThorntoNeely198
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Montreal at Boston (Manchester) Recap/Scouting

Despite an enormous effort on the part of Steve Shields to send the Montreal fans home happy, the Bruins scored with just 45 seconds remaining in the third period to force overtime, with Sergei Samsonov feeding a pass through a forest of Montreal legs to a streaking PJ Axelsson for an incredible goal. Brian Rolston made a joke of Garon with an overtime goal that hit Garon, a Montreal defender, Garon, a Montreal defender, and then the back of the net.

Hannu Toivonen delivered 40 shutout minutes. His most impressive save of the night came on a Montreal 2-on-1 when the Bruins were on the powerplay. McGillis took the body on one of the Canadiens, but he managed to send his teammate on a mini-breakaway before being tied up. Hannu reacted calmly, allowing the play to come to him, and before the filthy Smurf could get off a shot, he flashed into a full upright split, his left leg smothering the puck without giving up a rebound. The closest Montreal came to scoring was on a three on one. Hannu made a great sliding save, but gave up a meaty rebound which the Habs converted into a shot which hit the post (but had room to go in). Other than that, nothing came even remotely close to going in. Several Habs left the arena with "Property of Hannu Toivonen" stamped onto the seat of their pants.

Sergei Zinovjev also impressed, bringing a surprising physical dimension to the table. He plays a shifty game, more like an early Juneau than Samsonov, but when he sees an open ice hit, the kid pounces all over it with a complete disregard for physics (he bounced off Souray once). On the downside, he seems a bit starstruck with Samsonov, and is heavily favoring the pass. Once they get him shooting, he'll hang with Boston, no problem.

Milan Jurcina was again very steady, very impressive. He still likes the stick checks better than taking the body, but he was wrapping guys up against the board very well. He's going to have to get a little rougher in front of his own net, but he, too, belongs at the NHL level now. The best of the rookie defensemen.

Patrice Bergeron continues to give the front office migraines, making it extremely difficult for them to return him to his Junior team. For a solid two periods, Bergeron was the best forward on the ice, and the greatest threat to score. He seems like he's got a bit of growing to do, making the decision that much more difficult. Great hockey sense.

Jeff Jillson played a very quiet, very steady, very solid game. He's getting very strong in front of the net, a quality the Bruins will surely appreciate when the final rosters are set. I wasn't impressed when I saw him at Camp, but seeing him in the game tonight, he looked very Sean O'Donnell-esque. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Shields was horrible. I guess that means the sun is going to rise tomorrow after all, so you can stop your apocalyptic chanting and dancing. O'Donnell was awesome, cold cocking Carpentier with two quick Rock'Donnell's that put him in the sin bin and left Carpentier bloody and sobbing. Also, Komisarek was extremely underwhelming after the hype he's gotten on these boards. He's big, but he's a mutt with the puck, and doesn't move very well. He's great in front of his net (loves the two handed stick push), but if you skate away from or around him, he's nothing special at all.

Everyone be quiet around the Huml house tonight - somebody's getting a visit from the tooth fairy! Don't forget to report that $.25 to the IRS Ivan!!!

Well, that's about all I can think of that anyone might care about.

PS - Manchester has a heck of a mini-arena. Very good place to catch a game of hockey if you ever get the opportunity.

ThorntoNeely198 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:44 PM
  #53
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,794
vCash: 500
Thanks for the wrap-up, ThorntoNeely 198. We had the game on radio and it sounded like a solid forty minutes by Toivonen. Only problem was Beers constantly referring to Zdenek Kutlak as...KOO..LAK.

Ratty is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 06:49 PM
  #54
SToMper!
Registered User
 
SToMper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 500
Thanks for the great report!
Does axxy look like he's skating with more and more confidence out there? Offensively I mean?

SToMper! is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:02 PM
  #55
BroonBabe34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melrose, MA
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper!
Thanks for the great report!
Does axxy look like he's skating with more and more confidence out there? Offensively I mean?
Oh you mean Per Johannanimal? He was all over the place. Seemed to be a really good fit with Rolston and Zams. It's funny right before he scored that I said to TN198 - PJ's the only one out there who really wants to win tonight. He looks like hes smiling the whole time he's out there.

I also think that a hair cut is in order soon - it's starting to get in his eyes!!!

BroonBabe34 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
  #56
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Beers on Jillson, Jurcina, Zinovjev, Bergeron and Toivonen

I heard the entire game on WBZ and listened carefully for Bob Beers comments. He overall seemed quite impressed by what the Broons have for yutes. He started off by talking about how big Toivonen is- he was suprised he was that big. He talked about his style and positioning comparable to Brodeur but his stick work obviously lacking (he chuckled and said everybody's stick work lacks in that area vs Brodeur). He wasn't speewing out compliments left and right about any of them but touched on positives masking any outward criticism by indicating what they need to work on.

He seemed to be the most impressed by Bergeron. Again, he talked how he was specifically watching these guys because he didn't know enough about them but he was impressed with his game. Beers said even if he goes back to his junior team (and talked about how he can't go to Providence due to eligibilty yada yada) but said the coaching staff is aware of what he does and he'll have an advantage next year. No question though he liked his game; and Zinovjev as well. One time he brought up you can see he has alot of talent but talked about his coming in late and not caught up yet to the rest of guys in camp. Still, two or three times he made mention of 'nice play' or Zinovjev had good positioning.

Jillson according to Beers has had a very good camp; He spoke of his multi skillset and said the Broons are very encouraged by the way he has approached camp and been playing so far. Steady was the word he used and talked about his above average areas in several (heck, if not all) areas of his position. Jurcina seems to have impressed him as well and whereas Beers gave the impression Jillson will be with Boston he mentioned Jurcina needs to get experience. Beers did like the way Jurcina played though- he mentioned one turnover but cited his size and simple approach at this time to the game.

I didn't see the game and probably made them sound better than Beers said because he touched on specific areas of each's game; but he certainly highlighted Toivonen's suprising size, style; Zinovjev overall skill; Bergeron looking like he's been around awhile- he mentioned Lapointe told him that he hasn't had to do to much because the kid gets it and is a player (so if Lapointe is telling Beers that then that bodes very well for Bruin Nation); Jillson just wading in and building up some confidence and shining his game up more and more- Beers played defense and he spent various times on Jillson so thats a good sign.

5 key kids and doesn't even include Hilbert, Samuelsson and maybe Morrisonn who all could see time; and Huml who we all saw quite a bit last year. Lot of kids; and Beers mentioned how they may have been in awe of playing the Wings with all their stars- but once the Broons have their full linuep they should be much better- unless of course they have 5 or so rookies in the lineup.

DKH is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:13 PM
  #57
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
Despite an enormous effort on the part of Steve Shields to send the Montreal fans home happy, the Bruins scored with just 45 seconds remaining in the third period to force overtime, with Sergei Samsonov feeding a pass through a forest of Montreal legs to a streaking PJ Axelsson for an incredible goal. Brian Rolston made a joke of Garon with an overtime goal that hit Garon, a Montreal defender, Garon, a Montreal defender, and then the back of the net.

Hannu Toivonen delivered 40 shutout minutes. His most impressive save of the night came on a Montreal 2-on-1 when the Bruins were on the powerplay. McGillis took the body on one of the Canadiens, but he managed to send his teammate on a mini-breakaway before being tied up. Hannu reacted calmly, allowing the play to come to him, and before the filthy Smurf could get off a shot, he flashed into a full upright split, his left leg smothering the puck without giving up a rebound. The closest Montreal came to scoring was on a three on one. Hannu made a great sliding save, but gave up a meaty rebound which the Habs converted into a shot which hit the post (but had room to go in). Other than that, nothing came even remotely close to going in. Several Habs left the arena with "Property of Hannu Toivonen" stamped onto the seat of their pants.

Sergei Zinovjev also impressed, bringing a surprising physical dimension to the table. He plays a shifty game, more like an early Juneau than Samsonov, but when he sees an open ice hit, the kid pounces all over it with a complete disregard for physics (he bounced off Souray once). On the downside, he seems a bit starstruck with Samsonov, and is heavily favoring the pass. Once they get him shooting, he'll hang with Boston, no problem.

Milan Jurcina was again very steady, very impressive. He still likes the stick checks better than taking the body, but he was wrapping guys up against the board very well. He's going to have to get a little rougher in front of his own net, but he, too, belongs at the NHL level now. The best of the rookie defensemen.

Patrice Bergeron continues to give the front office migraines, making it extremely difficult for them to return him to his Junior team. For a solid two periods, Bergeron was the best forward on the ice, and the greatest threat to score. He seems like he's got a bit of growing to do, making the decision that much more difficult. Great hockey sense.

Jeff Jillson played a very quiet, very steady, very solid game. He's getting very strong in front of the net, a quality the Bruins will surely appreciate when the final rosters are set. I wasn't impressed when I saw him at Camp, but seeing him in the game tonight, he looked very Sean O'Donnell-esque. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Shields was horrible. I guess that means the sun is going to rise tomorrow after all, so you can stop your apocalyptic chanting and dancing. O'Donnell was awesome, cold cocking Carpentier with two quick Rock'Donnell's that put him in the sin bin and left Carpentier bloody and sobbing. Also, Komisarek was extremely underwhelming after the hype he's gotten on these boards. He's big, but he's a mutt with the puck, and doesn't move very well. He's great in front of his net (loves the two handed stick push), but if you skate away from or around him, he's nothing special at all.

Everyone be quiet around the Huml house tonight - somebody's getting a visit from the tooth fairy! Don't forget to report that $.25 to the IRS Ivan!!!

Well, that's about all I can think of that anyone might care about.

PS - Manchester has a heck of a mini-arena. Very good place to catch a game of hockey if you ever get the opportunity.
Interesting, you said pretty much what Beers said on radio about the kids- so thats a great sign; great report

DKH is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:15 PM
  #58
SToMper!
Registered User
 
SToMper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroonBabe34
Oh you mean Per Johannanimal? He was all over the place. Seemed to be a really good fit with Rolston and Zams. It's funny right before he scored that I said to TN198 - PJ's the only one out there who really wants to win tonight. He looks like hes smiling the whole time he's out there.

I also think that a hair cut is in order soon - it's starting to get in his eyes!!!
He's always had the desire and enthusiasm, but always had a tough time hitting the back of the net. I really like the sounds of that line as a great third line!

Let's hope Zino can be the man on the second line!

SToMper! is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 07:48 PM
  #59
ThorntoNeely198
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Was at the game and wrote about the guys in question. It got moved to the game thread if you're interested. I largely agree with Beers except that I think Jurcina would benefit more from being tossed into the fire.

ThorntoNeely198 is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 09:06 PM
  #60
Black Eye
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Keep in mind that the Bruins have very quickly cut loose players like Coffey, Pellerin, Hogue and Pahlsson in recent years. If Potvin can't do it or if another goalie grabs the job, I would not be shocked to see them make room somehow.

Here is my prediction for a surprise move in the next 30 days: I expect them to package up Raycroft, and maybe somebody like Morrisonn or something, for a center.

 
Old
09-26-2003, 09:30 PM
  #61
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Here is my prediction for a surprise move in the next 30 days: I expect them to package up Raycroft, and maybe somebody like Morrisonn or something, for a center.
That would hqve to be some pretty awesome Center for that type of deal to happen. No was I Move Razor unless someone completely blows you out of the water with and offer, and if you add in a D-Man of that potential.

Glad to see Hannu shining tonight. I can't imagine that he'll spend much time in Boston this year, but I hope he makes it there for a game or two as I'd love to see him play.

Good to hear all the great reports on Zimonjev

JoeIsAStud is online now  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:24 PM
  #62
usmhuskies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Souray beat the crap out of that Van Oene guy


OH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Souray must feel tough betting up a guy who has thrown down the gloves 5 time in hs carrer...

usmhuskies is offline  
Old
09-26-2003, 10:54 PM
  #63
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
TN, thanks for the recap. I just got home and was wondering how the B's did and your report told me everything I neded to know.

Samsonov14 is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 02:31 AM
  #64
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
From what i read in Montreal newspaper, a "Goons" habs player name Benjamin Charpentier want to fight with Stock !!!
Hmmmm... the P-Bruins had a 'goon-like' creature for awhile, but his name was Ben Carpentier (not Charpentier)... wonder if it's the same guy.

__________________
I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect!

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
HockeyGoddess is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 02:33 AM
  #65
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Souray beat the crap out of that Van Oene guy
Not really surprising, if true. Dropping the mitts isn't Darren's forte.

HockeyGoddess is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 02:43 AM
  #66
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
<Bulk of recap snipped to save space>

PS - Manchester has a heck of a mini-arena. Very good place to catch a game of hockey if you ever get the opportunity.
Really great recap!

Re: your PS - Yeah, it's a nice arena... but when it's filled with Monarchs fans and you're cheering for the visiting team, it's not a pleasant place to visit at all. While the Hartford Wolf Pack fans tend to be more physically abusive overall, Manchester Monarchs fans (not all of them, but 98% of them) are stuck-up, obnoxious, the biggest homers I've *EVER* seen, and rude to visiting teams' fans.

I refuse to go to a game in Manchester anymore, even though it's 15 minutes from my house), because the homer fans are so annoying/obnoxious. I'll go to Lowell, Worcester, Portland, Albany, and Springfield to get my fill of the P-Bruins, but I'll very likely stay away from the VWA again this year thanks to several less than wonderful experiences there two years ago.

HockeyGoddess is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:34 AM
  #67
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN2471
I will be there in section 113 Row P seats 9 & 10!!
damm,i couldnt get back online before going, but i was in section 119, row P, seats 14 & 15

bb_fan is offline  
Old
09-27-2003, 07:48 AM
  #68
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,775
vCash: 500
Van Oene got dropped by Souray, but it was nothing compared to the quick beating OD gave Carpetier (sp)

I didnt think i would say this, only because i expected it, but Jurcina, as the saying goes, is Huge!!!!!! 6-4 my ass, put him next to gill for a better comparison. He played solid, Jillson looked good, a couple of bad pass's that he got burnt on, looked a little lost at times, but nothing to bad.

Zina needs to stay away from the body, he went for a couple of hits and landed on his ass, but he looked good, not to sure about him and sammy together though, they are both very similar. He also looked lost in the 4-4 OT, you could see Sammy talking to him and pointing were to go withg his stick, finally Sammy ennded up being the only fore checker with zina behind him, kinda a 2-1-1,, witch idont think was the plan.

Bergeron looked excellent, but i'd saebd him back to Juniors and tell him to concentrate in the weight room, with a tad bit more size i wouldnt be so worrried about him getting run at every game if he were to play.

Brennan, back to P-town.

Toiven, could start in P-town or B-town from the one period i saw (second) looked excellent, if i were Raycroft i'd be nervous.

Garon looked good for montreal, as did Komo. the only guy i was really looking for on there side. He seemed to log alot of ice time last night. Definitly big, can be mean in front of his net, and if he gets u lined up along the boeards, its gonna hurt. cant wait to see him Joe going at it!!!!

bb_fan is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 09:47 AM
  #69
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
damm,i couldnt get back online before going, but i was in section 119, row P, seats 14 & 15
You were exactly five rows in back of me.

I thought Bergeron looked unreal, I'd like to see him in Boston this year. The way he plays, it looks like playing in juniors wouldn't benefit his skill much. He certainly needs to add some size, but I'd rather see him take some lumps with the B's this year. I was blown away by him.
It was great to see O'd pummell Charpentier, I'm hoping he steps up and does that more often this season. He also was throwing his hip around on the boards a few times.
Hannu looked great tonight as well.
Zino looked okay, to me it looked like he might still be adjusting.

It was a good game, and the third period there was actually a 'buzz' about the arena like a real Bruins game. I was surprised.
Us Manchester fans aren't all bad, but a lot of the season ticket holders aren't very knowledgable ones, I think we are just overly stoked to have a team. Those that are obnoxious probably will settle down after a few more seasons.

SPV is offline  
Old
09-28-2003, 01:05 PM
  #70
VINMONTY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Montreal game at Manchester

Hi, I just wanted everyone to know what I though of the B's game against Montreal (NH). I am a huge Bruins and although I do not post much, I love reading what you guys have to say...Most of you have heard all this before but anyway:

Toivonen- I was trying not to go into the game expecting too much but but he played awesome. I was so upset that they took him out of the game. He has a quick glove and reflexes. He started to come out and challenge the shooters after a few shots. One play that made me nervous is when he stood-up and the puck had never left the zone and he had to react quickly to a shot. Anyway...this guy looks good, but agree with most of you that he should spend a year in Providence.

Shields- Same ol' Shields. Blaaaahhhhhh!

Zino- Fast and great hands...I like the Zino-Sammy combo. Once they start getting better chemistry Watchout!

Bergeron- looked pretty good. Played alot, and could be a great player down the road...again lets not rush him.

Rolston- Played tough...he was hitting every Hab in site. Great to see him get more physical.

Jillson- Great pick-up...I like his patience with the puck and great on the Power-Play. I think he might have secured a spot on the roster with another solid performance

Jurcina- this guy is huge and good defensively...definitely needs a year in Providence

Brennan- maybe he just had a bad game but all I have to say is SIGN BOYNTON!!!!

Knuble- needs Thornton and Murray to have another season like last year

This game was exciting for me in more than one way (watching the B's)...I also got to see my friend Chris Higgins play...It is too bad he was wearing a Habs jersey. The people at the game must of thought I was crazy cheering for the Bruins then cheering for a Habs player at the same time. thats all I have!

VINMONTY is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.