HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers free agent thoughts

Old
04-14-2010, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Rangers free agent thoughts

Quote:
Staal, coming off the final year of his entry-level contract in which he earned $826,666, could be expected to receive a second contract in line with Nashville's Ryan Suter, who is on a four-year, $14M deal ($3.5M cap hit per). That is unless his agent, Bobby Orr, can either negotiate a better deal with GM Glen Sather or attract an offer sheet.
This would be a departure from the Rangers philosophy of not giving out a big 2nd contract to a player with zero leverage. Larry correctly predicted the Rangers playing hardball with Brandon Dubinsky last summer.

Quote:
Girardi, who elevated his game on every level over the final half of the season that culminated with an outstanding stretch drive, is coming off a two-year, $3.1 million contract ($1.55M cap charge per). It's likely that the defenseman, who will turn 26 in two weeks, will command in the neighborhood of $2.5M, give or take.
Maybe $2.5 million in a one year deal to avoid arbitration and become a group III next summer. Girardi will cost more than $2.5 million as a group III.

Quote:
Christensen, a waiver pickup who disproved Tortorella's immediate analysis that, "you don't pick up a top-six forward off waivers," will be owed a qualifier of $785,500 that he will receive. The Rangers may or may not negotiate off that offer to the supremely talented but maddeningly unpredictable 26-year-old center, who recorded 26 points (8-18) in 49 games after coming from Anaheim on waivers on Dec. 2.
The Rangers shouldn't negotiate off that number. Sign the QO.

Quote:
Of the impending unrestricted free agents, Jody Shelley will be back unless the Rangers refuse to meet the asking price; Vinny Prospal's future is uncertain; P.A. Parenteau might be back, Anders Eriksson could be offered a contract, Alex Auld probably won't be back and Olli Jokinen will not return.
Shelley should re-signed. 1 year deal.$750,000. He became an important part of the room.

Quote:
Auld, the goaltender who started just once and appeared in three games after coming from Dallas on re-entry waivers during the Olympics, said he would like to return as Henrik Lundqvist's understudy, but it sounds as if the Rangers have different plans.

"I loved playing here and I'd love to be back," said Auld. "I expressed to Glen [Sather] that I'm very interested, and that's pretty much where we left it."

But Tortorella, stating the Blueshirts' backup, "needs to be a legitimate, veteran guy who can handle 20-25 games," said that he and the management staff have already begun to make lists of prospective free agent candidates for the job.

There are a number of goaltenders flooding the market this year, but Marty Turco, Evgeny Nabokov, Jose Theodore, Chris Mason and Dan Ellis aren't looking for standby tickets. The veteran backup candidates would seem to include Johan Hedberg, Patrick Lalime, Marty Biron and Andrew Raycroft.
Herberg. Moose. Atlanta has not talked to him about coming back. They spoke to Colby Armstrong,Pavel Kubina and Maxim Afigenov about looking to do something for next season.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...biLSiJP08axClK

Also Enver Lisin probably won't receive a QO.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:21 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Who the hell could they be possibly thinking of whos a "good veteran backup that can play 20-25 games" who isin't already under contract to another team? jesus give auld a 1-yr deal and stop playing monopoly sather.(I say this because hedberg has had numerous injury problems)

I like how apperently brooks didn't mention brandon prust what so ever.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:22 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
How in God's name would a back up goalie play 20-25 games a year?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Ranger Angst

I'm puzzled by the reluctance to sign Auld. He is the ideal back-up. Wants to play here,
OK with being #2 , can pinch in ,if Hank gets hurt. Sign him , they.re are more pressing needs on this team.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:31 AM
AJRanger

Really, really do not understand why they wouldn't want Auld back. I guarantee Hank doesn't sit 20-25 games anyway.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:36 AM
arunnair87

Auld played 23 games in Boston (07-08) and 43 in Ottawa (08-09)... Also his GAA was 2.32 and 2.47 respectively. I don't know how he played in Dallas but he is the best free agent backup out of hedberg, lalime and biron.

Can we sign him already?

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:38 AM
DutchShamrock

He mentioned Prust returning in another article today... Wow the nitpicking over details is so over the top for Brooks.

I'm kind of surprised that Auld isn't in consideration. He looked very good in his games and I think he is capable. I would certainly be happier with Hedberg... maybe Lundqvist would be too, but I would still have Auld on my list. So far, I'm delighted with the core talk and the prospect of minimal UFA additions.

The best was the other article:
Quote:
Tortorella did not name names, but the inference is that Wade Redden figures prominently in the conversation(weeding out players). Redden, who played on the third pair all season, has four years remaining on his contract at an annual $6.5-million-per-cap hit.

A June buyout would save ownership approximately $7.67 million ($23M/$15.33M) but would carry severe punitive damages applied against the cap for the next eight seasons
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0l4d8cYpk

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Matteau Matteau

I am not one who wants to tear apart the core to sign multiple free agents. I believe continuity of your core and role players reall does develop your team's strength, especially after the team really seemed to come together more than ever on our stretch run.

But there are a couple of guys I'd go for. Plekanec and Kovy. You gotta figure Kovalchuk is good for a minimum of 35 goals, and with the way he'd strengthen the PP (I believe he plays the point?) he and Gabby could be good for 45 goals each.

The only issue is with with the raises we have to give, I don't know how much cap space there will be. Anyone have a good estimate?

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I want no part of Plekanec. If you can't get Kovalchuk, save the space for Semin the following year.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:10 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Antero Nittymaki is also a group III.

Most of the people here loved Steve Valiquette for some reason. Where does this love for Alex Auld come from? Sign him already!No brainer! Are you kidding me or what?

Better options are available.

Who can forget what could Valiquette bring back in a trade threads? The same thing Auld brought back. Nothing.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I want no part of Plekanec. If you can't get Kovalchuk, save the space for Semin the following year.

Kovalchuk and Volchenkov are the only key free agents that interest me. No Plekanec and no Marleau please.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I am not one who wants to tear apart the core to sign multiple free agents. I believe continuity of your core and role players reall does develop your team's strength, especially after the team really seemed to come together more than ever on our stretch run.

But there are a couple of guys I'd go for. Plekanec and Kovy. You gotta figure Kovalchuk is good for a minimum of 35 goals, and with the way he'd strengthen the PP (I believe he plays the point?) he and Gabby could be good for 45 goals each.

The only issue is with with the raises we have to give, I don't know how much cap space there will be. Anyone have a good estimate?
Are you prepared to give Kovalchuk close to $9-$10 million per in a long term deal? 10 YEARS. Pay him until he is 37 years old.

The Rangers better win the Cup next season paying him that much money.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:14 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Kovalchuk and Volchenkov are the only key free agents that interest me. No Plekanec and no Marleau please.
I'm not sold on Volchenko, either. If McDonagh is, at most, a full year away from the NHL, and gives essentially what Volchenkov does, why commit big money to Volchenkov, unless, you don't intend to commit long term to Girardi.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm not sold on Volchenko, either. If McDonagh is, at most, a full year away from the NHL, and gives essentially what Volchenkov does, why commit big money to Volchenkov, unless, you don't intend to commit long term to Girardi.
I would like to see Sauer get a shot. You truly believe that McDonagh is a year away? IMO, he needs a full year in Hartford first. Volchenkov would be an upgrade to Girardi. If the difference is around $2m, then go for the better defenseman.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:20 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
He mentioned Prust returning in another article today... Wow the nitpicking over details is so over the top for Brooks.
Sorry i didn't exactly have a link to read the whole thing, Besides if he's making a UFA article he should swing in prust regardless Right?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Are you prepared to give Kovalchuk close to $9-$10 million per in a long term deal? 10 YEARS. Pay him until he is 37 years old.

Probably. It would give us two forty goal guys in Gaborik and Kovalchuk, aged 28 and 27 respectively. Throw Lundquist in there at 28 and you have a solid base of superstars for the next 4-5 years. If any of the prospects contribute and if any of the younger players make the big jump (I'm looking at Dubinsky, Staal and Del Zotto), then we might have a fighting chance of actually doing something in the POs. It's not much, but without a second scorer we are too easy to shut down.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Sorry i didn't exactly have a link to read the whole thing, Besides if he's making a UFA article he should swing in prust regardless Right?
Prust is not an UFA. Group II. He is 26 years old. Next season is group III.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:27 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I would like to see Sauer get a shot. You truly believe that McDonagh is a year away? IMO, he needs a full year in Hartford first. Volchenkov would be an upgrade to Girardi. If the difference is around $2m, then go for the better defenseman.
I'm saying the same thing...I think he gets at least a half a year, if not the full year, in Hartford.

And, I agree about Girardi. I'd no problem if you upgrade from Girardi to Volchenkov. I just don't want to see them commit big money to Volchenkov, and then retain Girardi for big money, too.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
I would LOVE to have Semin, I just don't see Washington letting him go (nor do I see him wanting to leave a contender) unless they cannot afford him after having to re-sign Backstrom and others.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:

his cap hit will not exceed 8.5 mil. feel free to save this post, print it out and shove it up my ass if i'm wrong.

if he gets a long term deal, it'll be frontloaded. his cap hit will not exceed crosby's/

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:41 AM
pwoz

Auld has a similar attitude of Valliquette (great team guy) and he's a LEGIT backup, who can easily play 15-20 games. I like this guy's attitude, and Shelley too!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

Yes.

Kovalchuk is the kind player you pay that kind of money to.

He's a game breaker much in the same way that Gaborik is.

He's also not a player that absolutely needs that true playmaking center that we lack.

He will turn 27 tomorrow, I will pay him 100 million on a 15 year deal that pays him 10 million a year for the first 5 years of the deal, 6 million for the next 5 years and finally 4 million per over the remaining 5 years.

A Cap hit of just 6.66 million per season. Very doable and very manageable.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Unless there is some glaring weakness in Auld that has shone behind the scenes I see no reason to not bring the guy back. I love hearing how players want to return, and would love to play here etc. Auld to me is twice the goalie that Valiquette was, so being that he comes as a cheap date, why wouldn't he be resigned? Low risk, moderate return seems like the safe play here. Maybe Uncle Larry is just speculating?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Why fight it? It's what we do...it's who we be.

And we'll be fighting for 7-10th place the whole ten years...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Antero Nittymaki is also a group III.

Most of the people here loved Steve Valiquette for some reason. Where does this love for Alex Auld come from? Sign him already!No brainer! Are you kidding me or what?

Better options are available.

Who can forget what could Valiquette bring back in a trade threads? The same thing Auld brought back. Nothing.
Outside of Nittymaki who is a better option? Personally I feel there about even.

Hedberg is the LAST MAN I want as a back up. I dont know how many of you watch the thrashers on a regular basis but I do. I dont want him here. His age started to show this season.

Same thing with Kovalchuk. Ive watched him long enough in Atlanta to know hes more of a primadonna than Jagr, he pouts and sulks when he doesnt get his way and the money he is going to command just isnt worth it.

These are two players we need to stay away from.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote