HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden looks like a goner, Avery maybe

Old
04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Redden looks like a goner, Avery maybe

Arthur Staple who is clued in on Ranger happenings. Former Rangers beat writer. Now a columnist.

Quote:
Tortorella weeded out a few players he believed weren't willing to put up with his intensity last summer; this summer, there will be more, though not nearly as many. Olli Jokinen won't be back; Wade Redden will, but you can bet the Rangers will make a free-agent play for the Senators' Anton Volchenkov and plan on stashing Redden in the minors the first chance they get.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.1861234

Andrew Gross

Quote:
There seems little doubt that the first player Tortorella wants to “weed out” is Wade Redden, though Tortorella did not say that himself. Just a bit of speculation but when asked specifically about Redden, Tortorella said it wasn’t right or fair to talk about individual players. Yet he essentially talked about most of the other players on the team on an individual basis. And it sounds like Redden was given a loud and clear message in his exit interview. Redden has four seasons left on his six-year, $39 million deal and with Marc Staal due a new contract that may run around $4 million per season, there’s been plenty of speculation that it makes sense for the Rangers to send Redden to Hartford to clear the cap space, though they’d still be paying the salary.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...torellas_take/

Larry Brooks

Quote:
Without a buyout, the Rangers cannot remove Redden's $6.5 million from the cap over the summer, as all one-way contracts within the organization count, but the offseason cap is increased by 10 percent, or what should be approximately $62.5 million.

But if the Rangers should demote him during or following training camp after he goes through waivers, Redden's cap charge is eliminated entirely.

"Wade will be an organizational decision," Tortorella said in an endorsement similar to Ted Kennedy's of Jimmy Carter in 1980.
Quote:
The coach said that Matt Gilroy has a chance to be a part of it, but there is no way to tell where Sean Avery, whose name was not broached once in the 50-minute session, fits or does not fit as Tortorella perceives it.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...aFuQIETwdiga8J

$63.47 million cap in the summer. Expected $57.7 million upper limit. 10%.

They must have not asked Torts about Avery. He would have refused to answer the question but discussed the players he thought were safe on an individual basis.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
jniklast

thus far I really like what I hear about the Rangers' plans for the offseason. I don't understand why they don't want to re-sign Auld, but in the end he is just a backup goalie, so there are far more important issues. And shipping Redden to Hartford is #1 of them.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
If they bite the bullet and send Wade to Hartford, great.

If they want to get rid of Avery, fine by me, I'm just not sure how they'll get it done.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Matteau Matteau

Not Avery I hope.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
I can't see them giving up on Avery after one off-year. At worst he's a depth player who's not too expensive. Although to be fair he's usually the one that's injured, not filling in for someone else who got injured.

Is this posturing with Avery just a ploy to light his fire?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
TheHotRock

we don't need avery back. even at 1.9, his cap hit is about 900k more than what he needs.

i won't be upset if he's back though, i'm one of 6 people who doesn't love OR hate him.

redden has to go though. his cap hit is crippling us. no hard feelings, i wish someone would pay me 6 and a half mil to ride a bus around the northeast.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
pwoz

Avery is a MUST against division rivals.. and Dallas.... but that's about it.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
As I said, if the team decides to move forward without Avery, I'll support it. But how are we going to get rid of him? Do people really think he'll be waived and sent to Hartford? Because he's not going to get a buyout, and it's seriously unlikely anyone would trade for him.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Avery was our highest scoring LW...

I don't know about Auld - maybe they're just trying to get a feel for who is out there and how much they will cost. Biron, Moose, Auld, etc.... whoever is cheapest FTW.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Why would Aves be gone? That is just retarded.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I really don't like this strategy. Torts has essentially put the team in a position where they MUST make a dramatic move with Redden now. I'm not sure that continuing to poison the well in Hartford with NYR malcontents is really a best case scenario for anyone either.

Does this guy ever trying building a bridge, or just default to burning them down with flamethrowers when he meets someone he doesn't happen to agree with?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:54 AM
chosen

In Prust's short stint he was a much, much better version of Avery. With Prust here, Avery becomes a man without a function.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I really don't like this strategy. Torts has essentially put the team in a position where they MUST make a dramatic move with Redden now. I'm not sure that continuing to poison the well in Hartford with NYR malcontents is really a best case scenario for anyone either.

Does this guy ever trying building a bridge, or just default to burning them down with flamethrowers when he meets someone he doesn't happen to agree with?
Torts will never be described as a class act.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post

I don't know about Auld - maybe they're just trying to get a feel for who is out there and how much they will cost. Biron, Moose, Auld, etc.... whoever is cheapest FTW.
That speaks more to the talent or lack there of, than how great Avery is.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The only way to do anything with Redden right now is a dramatic move. No team in their right mind will take him unless you overpay by ridiculous measures, so it's either demote him or spend another 82 games paying the worst player on the ice 6.5 million.

I'm glad Torts is taking a strong stance with him.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Jersey Girl

You can certainly compare the grit of Brandon Prust and Sean Avery, but please to not let a few games convince you that Prust is as talented as Avery.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In Prust's short stint he was a much, much better version of Avery. With Prust here, Avery becomes a man without a function.
Prust didn't wreak as much havoc for opposing goalies as Avery generally does when he's on top of his game. Even when he isn't I feel like he has a bit more talent and scoring ability than Prust.I doubt Prust will ever top 10G or 25P. I also don't see Prust agitating other teams' top players, or drawing the attention of an entire opposing line, as Avery can often do. While I would agree that they are similar, I believe that there are some key differences. The lack of yapping is the main thing.

And anyway, I have no problem with having both on the roster. It can never hurt to have two guys who can dish it out.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
jniklast

If we send down both Avery and Redden, we won't be able to spend to the cap anyway.

Even with just Redden down, we can't get quite at the cap. Maybe close to it due to some two-way contracts on the final roster, but since we're only allowed to be over the cap by 10% over the summer, that's about 5.7 million. All one-way contracts count, so like it was said Redden still counts, which means we have to be below the cap a few 100k sans Redden.

So sending Avery down to HFD as well wouldn't open up any more space in the offseason. We could of course acquire someone after training camp, but I really don't see why we don't just keep Avery. $1.9 million is ok for him, and much better than the average Sather UFA signing that would likely replace him...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

I wouldn't say the Rangers continuously flood Hartford with player's that can't hack it at the NHL level. Brashear was more of a cost saving move. He more then likely will not be back in Hartford next season, because it doesn't matter where he is playing, he will still count against the Rangers cap unless they can trade him or put him on the LTIR (Which I think the latter will happen).

Redden has been given his chances. This team more then likely cannot move forward and progress into a possible Stanley Cup contender in the next few seasons with a player like Redden eating up $6.5 million in salary. This team will continue to be bad in it's own end if they do not make an improvement this offseason. Swaping Volchenkov for Redden would be an immediate improvement on this team's defensive game. They will have guys that can lead the transition game (Staal, MDZ, Rosy) and they will have guys that can be defensively responsible and battle in front of the net (Volchenkov and Girardi). Not to mention the $2 to $2.5 million in cap savings that could be had from a Volchenkov/Redden swap.

Hopefully Sather doesn't use that cap savings and holds onto it for a deadline trade or to re-up Cally and Dubi next summer.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post

Didn't Prospal and Dubi play LW for most of the season?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Prust and Avery are two different players FFS. Prust dosen't have the ability to agitate and draw the ire of the opposition like Aves does.

Granted, Sean had a mediocre season. But where would he go anyway? He'll stay.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Regarding Redden: while I don't agree with the way Torts does things, I do agree with his stance on Wade. He needs to go by any means necessary. If that means sending him to HFD, then great. And frankly, this would be best for our cap. But looking at it realistically, I really think you may see a trade. Souray has taken the Torts flamethrower to his bridges in Edmonton. The salaries almost match up for two years, so you throw in a mid level prospect and...

Now, if Edmonton can get any better offer elsewhere, obviously they do it. But if no one else wants an aging, bitter, overpaid Souray and it comes down to a choice of 1)Souray for Redden + Sauer or 2) keep Souray for two more years, they may take the latter. And while this wouldn't be as good for our cap as demoting Redden, it would still be better than keeping him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

I highly doubt Avery will be sent to Hartford. Either he will be dangled as trade bait a bit this summer or he will be with the team next year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Vitto79

Avery at 2 million as a 3rd line LW is a good deal. I think he stays but he is a goner after next yr unless he makes a huge difference

Redden in Hartford is the smart move for sure but I still feel bad for the guy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
bubba5

Getting rid of Avery does not make sense. A 1.9 million cap it is about right for a player like him. Who else can you get for that much? Redden should start looking at homes in Hartford.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote