HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wht Not Have Prust/Shelley/Weise/Byers as the bottom four wingers?

Old
04-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Callahan produces what he produces. Whether or not that is good enough for the 2nd line depends on the personnel of the team.
I love Callahan. He's my favorite Ranger. Yes, if Sather ***** the bed again and leaves us devoid of top-6 talent, then sure, he's my second line winger. But this is the off-season. In a perfect world, he's excelling on the third line.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Ideally? We'd suck. Callahan and Christensen need to PROVE they can put up 2nd line points before we pencil them in there with any amount of optimism.
Unfortunately these two guys are somewhat cheap and provide a little cap relief. What are you going to do fill there spots with 5 million dollar players? Its just not going to happen this year. As i said Drury is on the fourth line that eats up a 1st lines players money.

Hopefully we can trade for a stopgap first line center

And possibly sign Kovalchuk to play wing on the second line allowing us to have scoring threats on our top 2 lines.

I'm being realistic here not what i want my NHL 10 team to look like

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
On a good team, Callahan is a third liner.

I've never argued Avery is essential to the team. Find me a way to get rid of him? A realistic one. We can't trade him, he won't be bought out, he'd never be waived.

As for the notion that "there's no reason" why Prust and Weise can't score 10-15 each, well, yeah...there is a reason: they haven't. Have people seriously not learned by now to not just assume that guys can produce career numbers? Weise has zero games. Prust had a good week. Really? Now they're third liners scoring 15 goals?

EDIT: Jeez, you said at least 10-15 goals. Seriously? Prepare to be immensely disappointed if those are your expectations for those guys.

Fair points NYR2K2. I don't think Weise and Byers score 15 goals each, I see them as similar to the HMO and Betts/Ward/3rd wheel lines.

If they create chaos, forecheck, bang, cycle, etc it would help the energy of the team and they'd probably both net at least half a dozen garbage goals each without much skill involved. In 05-06 the Rangers had two 3rd/4th lines that just busted their behinds.

I like what I saw of Prust, there's something there to develop. Weise almost hit 30 goals in only his second year in Harford, there is something there to develop.

As for free agents; honestly, why not just get Demitria who is a geezer but has shown some chemistry to play with Gabby for just one season or Holmstrem to ride shotgun to Anisimov?

One more sniper is needed and the team should be better enough to make it to the dance. I'm curios what you all think of Frolov. I like him a lot but don't know if he's the right fit here.

No major signings are needed.

I'm really curious to see what Carl Hagelin decides to do as well. He could turn pro.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
pld459666

Not for nothing, but I'm not convinced that the Big softie Boyle should get a regular shift back there on the 4th line.

While I know he's not a significant problem, he serves no roll in the solution either.

No offence, big as a brick **** house but softer than baby crap. OK defensively, can name quite a few better than him.

Not sure I see a need/reason to keep him here.

If we are looking for some offensive production from the 4th line than it would probably stand to reason to get guys in that can play a physical style that can generate something in the offensive zone.

Shift Avery to Center and my 4th line would look like this.

Prust - Avery - Weise

My 3rd line would be

Drury - Anisimov - Shelly

Having Jody out there seems to create alot of room for his line-mates as he is a strong guy that goes to the net and draws players with him.

Keeping Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik line intact wouldn't be a bad idea as long as we can address that 2nd line LW and Center spot

Overall here's what I'm looking at

Dubi - EC - Gabby
???? - ?? - Cally
Drury - Ani - Shelly
Prust - Avery - Weise

Big question marks for the 2nd line.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Avery Anisimov Callahan.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:27 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I would be okay with Avery not being here anymore if there was a player who could replicate his numbers ready to play.

There isn't though. We are soft as it is so we need Avery on this team. Yes we have Prust which helps as well as an enforcer in Shelley but having all 3 makes more sense as long as you play Avery on 3rd line.

I would like to see Ani play on 3rd line next season with maybe someone like Boyle on 4th line but as mentioned before that would mean Drury plays top-6. No dice.

I think our bottom 6 for next season needs to look something like this:

Avery - Drury - Callahan
Prust - Anisimov - Shelley

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:29 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Shift Avery to Center and my 4th line would look like this.

Prust - Avery - Weise

My 3rd line would be

Drury - Anisimov - Shelly

Having Jody out there seems to create alot of room for his line-mates as he is a strong guy that goes to the net and draws players with him.

Keeping Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik line intact wouldn't be a bad idea as long as we can address that 2nd line LW and Center spot

Overall here's what I'm looking at

Dubi - EC - Gabby
???? - ?? - Cally
Drury - Ani - Shelly
Prust - Avery - Weise

Big question marks for the 2nd line.

I'm sorry but having Shelley anywhere but 4th line is a mistake. Yeah he played well for us this season but lets not get carried away here.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Garfinkel1

In my world...

Avery-Dubi-Gaborik
Prospal-Christensen-Jokinen
Shelly-AA-Prust
Cally-Drury-Boyle

Top line:Solid. Avery/Dubi play well with eachother. Got the agitator on Gabi's line to help take some attention off of Gabi. Good line on both ends of the ice. Can do it all.
2nd line:Average:A line of true 2nd liners from left to right. If they can gel they should be able to offer that 2ndary scoring we need. Not the best line but will get **** done on the 2nd line.
3rd line:Was our best line down the stretch... No reason to think that the line get's better. Two guys are very young. An off-season's worth of improvements is going to do a lot. Expect big things from that line...
4th line:I put Cally on this line instead of the 2nd over Prospal for one reason. This isn't a traditional 4th line. I use this line in defensive face offs. As well as to help change the momentum. This line plays big. They block shots. They win faceoffs. A great utility line that also keeps Drury/Boyle fresh for the PK.

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 04-14-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The problem with this roster is we have too many third-liners:
Avery, Callahan, Drury, Christensen, and Anisimov.

We can't just move two of them up to the top-six, dust our hands off, and pat each other on the back. There's a reason why we lacked offense this year and it's because we had 3rd line talent scattered in our top-six. Here's a championship-caliber roster:

[1st line LW] - [1st line C] - Gaborik
Prospal - Dubinsky - [2nd line RW]
Callahan - Anisimov - Drury
Avery - Christensen - Prust/Shelley

Staal - [1A Defenseman]
MDZ - [Stay at Home Bruiser]
Girardi - Sang/Gilroy/McDonagh/Sauer

Lundqvist
Auld

With Rozsival and Redden off the books, it's possible. I just don't see it happening though.
I wholeheartedly agree with you here.

The problem is, we have way too many fringe players. Your analysis of the holes in our lineup is spot on. We have exactly one (1) first liner. Dubinsky, I think, has developed into a legitimate second liner. Anisimov is not there yet. Maybe next year, maybe never. We can't forecast his development.

Here is how I see our roster:

First Liners
Gaborik

Second Liners
Prospal
Dubinsky
Christensen

Third Liners
Drury
Callahan
Anisimov

Fourth Liners
Avery
Prust
Shelley

Fringe Players
Boyle
Lisin
Voros

And unfortunately, this problem is not going to magically rectify itself.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:54 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I know Joki isn't coming back next season. This is not perfect, just a mock I'm making up pretty early in the morning. The second line is a mess buuuut;

Dubi-Demitria(one year deal)-Gabby
Frolov/Sharp-Christensen-Cally
Prust-Anisimov-Weise
Byers/Avery-Drury-Shelley

Ex. PAP ( can play on 3rd line and Weise slides down to 4th) and of course Voros

Wildcards to make team; Grachev and Hagelin

Defense; I'm not gonna try combos but say they sign one of Mihalak (would have to be big dough be he's rock solid)/Lilja (one year deal)/Kim Johnson (two year deal) so 1.Staal, 2.MDZ, 3.Rozi, 4.Mihalak/Lilja/Johnson, 5.Gilroy, and 6. one of Kundratek/Valatenko/McD/Sanguinetti/Sauer/etc.

Realistically I don't see Frolov here however with Chicago I see something going down for more scoring and Girardi might go the other way.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 06:27 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I wouldn't have a problem with those 4 guys. I would love to see NY go with a nice forecheck system

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Byers = Career AHLer

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Byers = Career AHLer
Byers will bolt the rangers and be a solid NHL 4th liner somewhere. The guy is all heart and if Voros didn't have a love affair with Hank and Gabborik Byers would have been in NY this season

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Byers will bolt the rangers and be a solid NHL 4th liner somewhere. The guy is all heart and if Voros didn't have a love affair with Hank and Gabborik Byers would have been in NY this season
Byers is a RFA i believe this offseason. He cannot bolt unless a) the rangers do not QO him or b) another team signs him to a tender and the rangers do not match.

I don't think either is all too likely.

but I do believe that he will be a solid 4th liner, and that he would be a much better option than Voros. I think he would be a great fit for the Rangers on the 4th line, with Prust on the other wing.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I'm sorry but having Shelley anywhere but 4th line is a mistake. Yeah he played well for us this season but lets not get carried away here.
I'm not putting him in that spot because I expect anything significant out of him, moreso because I think with a year under his belt Anisimov is going to get better. And having the room and freedom to make plays is going to allow him the ability to get the puck to a sniper type that Drury is (although this season hasn't shown that)

I would expect Shelly to be the anchor to that line to drag it down somewhat, but I also expect that if we put him in a more responsible position he can get in on the forcheck, take the body well, drive to the front of the net and open the ice (pretty much what he is doing now.

Again, not expecting a great deal out of him other than what he is doing for us now which I think could generate alot more offence from a mature Anisimov and motivated Drury.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote