HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flex and Curve: Naslund and Gaborik

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
  #1
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Flex and Curve: Naslund and Gaborik

I am looking for a new ice hockey stick with a Naslund curve.

Right now, I have a Nike/Bauer Vapor XXX Lite 102 Pro Flex Naslund Curve.

I weigh approximately 156lbs., so I know 102 flex it too stiff.

My question is, do I buy a 77 flex and get it cut, so it forms a 8x flex?
What flex do you think I should use (assuming the stick will get cut)?
I skate pretty low, so I want a lie that suites me best too.

Also, what curves from different companies are identical to the Naslund curve?

And about Gaborik...

Does anyone know if I can get the Gaborik curve on any of the Easton sticks?
Is the Gaborik curve similar to the Naslund?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
  #2
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post

And about Gaborik...

Does anyone know if I can get the Gaborik curve on any of the Easton sticks?
Is the Gaborik curve similar to the Naslund?
The Gaborik curve from what I have seen is only available on the SE6 stick(pretty sure hockeymonkey.com states that too). Its a curve Id LOVE to try since I like big curves like that but only available in SE6 so no go for me.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
  #3
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
The Gaborik curve from what I have seen is only available on the SE6 stick(pretty sure hockeymonkey.com states that too). Its a curve Id LOVE to try since I like big curves like that but only available in SE6 so no go for me.
Is the SE6 a quality stick?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:02 PM
  #4
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Is the SE6 a quality stick?
Personally, I can not accurately say. My little brother has the SE2 which was surprisingly light for its cost and the blade after a good chunk of time started to come apart at the toe but that could just be with how he handles it(he has the square toe on it so obviously can get torn up a bit more than round). Id say the SE6 is a mid-range/higher MID-range stick.

Recently ordered my brother the SE6 cause he needs a replacement now so I can give some weight feedback soon...but other than that I can just assume its slightly more durable and slightly better performance wise over the SE2. Also I had a team mate using it and it alteast made it through the season fine and hes a big guy and probably put some pretty good wear n tear on it but he moved away so no clue if he still has it.

Hopefully someone with the stick for a good period of time can give you some quality feed back.

Also to your original post about the flex...I use a 77 flex in one95 and have used it for other Bauer line sticks in the past and I weigh ~170lbs and have never broken the shaft just blades. So for flex at your weight Id say 77/87 flex is very suitable.

To note, some have said I flex the sht outta my shaft with 77 flex so until I break it thats what Im gonna stick with since you want as much kick as possible from the stick to get more speed on your shot. Atleast that is my opinion on it, I know in the end flex is one of those preference things since some around my weight use 90/100 flexes.


Last edited by blueberrydanish: 04-13-2010 at 11:10 PM.
blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
  #5
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
The SE6 is by no means a bottom of the barrel stick, but at the same time it's no high end stick either. If you really want to try out the Gaborik retail curve, won't cost you too much to give it a try.


Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 04-13-2010 at 11:16 PM.
SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
  #6
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
The Gaborik curve from what I have seen is only available on the SE6 stick(pretty sure hockeymonkey.com states that too). Its a curve Id LOVE to try since I like big curves like that but only available in SE6 so no go for me.
Gaborik is coming back in June/July for the SE16, in limited numbers. Along with the old Shanahan curve (Cammalleri now).

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:51 AM
  #7
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Gaborik is coming back in June/July for the SE16, in limited numbers. Along with the old Shanahan curve (Cammalleri now).
Thanks...maybe I'll wait until then.

Is the Gaborik similar to the Naslund?

I like an evenly-rounded, big curve.

Also, is the SE16 a quality stick?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
  #8
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
There's a cool blade/curve pattern comparison tool available at Player's Bench: http://www.playersbench.com/bladeCompV1.ihtml

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:00 PM
  #9
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
There's a cool blade/curve pattern comparison tool available at Player's Bench: http://www.playersbench.com/bladeCompV1.ihtml
No Gabby curve listed there, besides Im pretty sure nothing really even comes close to it just his through Easton. Cool site either way.

Thanks for the tip Ray maybe Ill try and pick one up if I ever see it.

To Jab about the SE16...it is a high-end stick, very pricey too. So yes, very good quality.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
  #10
doobie604
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
se16 is top of the line stick form easton. however xxx-lite is one of the best stick made as far as performance goes. you might like the se16 but i'm sure you're not going to like the se6 after using the xxx-lite. as far as flex goes, it's all about what you can flex. even if you're around 150, if you can't flex a 77 you have to go with a lower. test this at a store or something to find your ideal flex.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Thanks...maybe I'll wait until then.

Is the Gaborik similar to the Naslund?

I like an evenly-rounded, big curve.

Also, is the SE16 a quality stick?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
  #11
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Thanks...maybe I'll wait until then.

Is the Gaborik similar to the Naslund?

I like an evenly-rounded, big curve.

Also, is the SE16 a quality stick?
gaborik is like a naslund(backstrom now) on steroids. it's such a gigantic hook i don't know how people even play with it.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
  #12
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
se16 is top of the line stick form easton. however xxx-lite is one of the best stick made as far as performance goes. you might like the se16 but i'm sure you're not going to like the se6 after using the xxx-lite. as far as flex goes, it's all about what you can flex. even if you're around 150, if you can't flex a 77 you have to go with a lower. test this at a store or something to find your ideal flex.
Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how the Easton Synergy ST is...
my friend just bought one: it seems somewhat heavy (510 g)... what are your thoughts?

Also, how much should I be able to flex the stick in order for it to work for me?

P.S. The the curves that the website matched my Naslund curve to
were Sakic for Easton, Draper for Warrior, and Stastny for Sherwood...
do these seem reasonably correct?

EDIT: What brand is better (Rank from 1-3 if you can)... Warrior, Easton or Nike/Bauer?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
  #13
doobie604
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
ST is good stick, very durable but it is a bit heavy and it's older technology. Some nhlers still use the ST because of the durability.

as for flex, without using full power (1/2 or 3/4) you should be able to flex the stick. if you need a lot of force, then it's too stiff for you.

the curves sound right, the only one i'm not sure about is the statny curve. the rest are all similar.

as far as better brand, it is personal preference again. all the top end sticks are pretty good, the only difference would be how durable they are, depending on your hand size what type of shaft feels good in your hands, and what type of shots you like to take mid kick or low kick point etc.... for me i like the bauer sticks because they're pretty durable and give you good performance. one95 and xxxx are my fav sticks. easton give you good performance but not as durable as the bauers when you compare some of their top end sticks. rbk 10k is good but not sure if they'll last. warrior like the dolomite is a good stick, but the technology hasn't changed much since the inno days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how the Easton Synergy ST is...
my friend just bought one: it seems somewhat heavy (510 g)... what are your thoughts?

Also, how much should I be able to flex the stick in order for it to work for me?

P.S. The the curves that the website matched my Naslund curve to
were Sakic for Easton, Draper for Warrior, and Stastny for Sherwood...
do these seem reasonably correct?

EDIT: What brand is better (Rank from 1-3 if you can)... Warrior, Easton or Nike/Bauer?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:26 PM
  #14
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Anyone know If I can change the lie on my stick without changing the Naslund curve?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
  #15
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Anyone know If I can change the lie on my stick without changing the Naslund curve?
The only way to do that is through the bauerid program. Can't remember offhand but one of the sticks (vapor60 or one95) offer the p92 in a 5 lie as well as the standard retail 6 lie. That's the only way

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
  #16
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Gaborik is coming back in June/July for the SE16, in limited numbers. Along with the old Shanahan curve (Cammalleri now).
Was the shanahan the big toe curve? Also, where did you see these are coming back? Somebody needs to make a retail toe curve

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
  #17
ClicheGuevara
Registered User
 
ClicheGuevara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Along with the old Shanahan curve (Cammalleri now).



I'm gonna have to stock up.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
  #18
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
gaborik is like a naslund(backstrom now) on steroids. it's such a gigantic hook i don't know how people even play with it.
I have 2 ST Gaborik's and a XXXX Naslund, they are nothing alike. If you're looking for a reasonably priced Gaborik curve buy the Sherwood RM19 Coffey curve. I've also tried the CCM Thornton and liked that hook as well. Use the Kane curve in Bauer when I play forward. So there are hooks out there but it gets tricky when the lie changes. I'm waiting til July to get some more Gaboriks, hopefully my collection lasts until then (have broke my Warrior Dolomite SMmyth and CCM Thornton in the last 2 weeks).

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:02 AM
  #19
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
The only way to do that is through the bauerid program. Can't remember offhand but one of the sticks (vapor60 or one95) offer the p92 in a 5 lie as well as the standard retail 6 lie. That's the only way
Yep, you're right, I just checked... went on Bauer's website, and you can customize a Vapor60 or One 95 to get a P92 Lie 5 (Apparently, it's now a "Backstrom" curve, like the user above said).

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.